Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: I didn't survive hwy 1
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-27-2007 at 02:21 PM

Good for you Perry!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-27-2007 at 06:05 PM

Bajalou I didn't mean to imply that you couldn't get a good job done in Mexico. It's just when the insurance company is involved they have their repair shops and if you don't have the time to check them out stuff can get done without much oversight. When things don't go right it becomes a real hassle. When I wrecked my chevy truck it came back looking real good and I thought great job. After a year the tire they put on started cracking on the side wall. The rear wheel oil seals started leaking. The paint started peeling and when I had a spray in bed liner done the guy calls to tell me the truck bed did not have any primer on it. A couple years later I found the rear end gears broke which I think was from the wreck. I felt I got shafted. I hope your friend has better luck. For me I will always kick myself for not bringing the truck back to San Diego and having it done by someone I knew.
Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-27-2007 at 08:14 PM

Good job Perry, I also use Lewis & Lewis, for years, I know that Bedman and Maryann also use them. Feel free to add my name to the list. Good to put the pressure on, and make sure they know that "we" are watching this situation.

Mean people suck!
jack
Nomad

Mood: Eat Heavy

[*] posted on 4-27-2007 at 11:15 PM

Thanks to everyone for their replies. Thanks for the sticker offer Fernando, I e-mailed you my address. Also thanks to vgabndo for taking the time to e-mail the URL for this tread to Lewis & Lewis. It will be interesting to see what their response will be. This Monday I will be contacting them to inquire about their lack of response to the e-mail I sent them 2 weeks ago. I don't think I am being unreasonable with my requests. I do not trust an old used tire and especially a used recapped tire. On my next trip to the Baja I will be buying new tires and I have already replaced the mangled stabilizer jacks. Total cost of these items including tax is $375.00 Canadian. They seem a little on the cheap side especially since they got $167.00 out of me for motorcycle insurance and the motorcycle never left the trailer until I got back home. FYI the trailer was insured with my van, but the contents of the trailer are not covered. The police and insurance adjuster got about $180.00 US out of the guy who hit me for content damage, but in reality I have about double that in damage.
Bedman
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-28-2007 at 12:34 AM

I'm sitting back and watching all that goes on. I've used Lewis and Lewis for many many years and endorsed them heavily. I've never had a claim (Lucky Me!!, knocking on wood) and will be extremely disapointed IF L and L doesn't perform. If that happens, I'll also change my policies.

With all that said, I have to think about the one claim (that's "1" in 23 years) I have made in the U.S. It took several weeks and many phone calls to get the ball rolling. And after the ball was rolling I was extremely dissatisfied with the final outcome.

Bedman
jack
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-3-2007 at 11:36 AM

It seems as if my claim is getting screwier by the minute. Now it looks as if the guy who hit me covered the damages. April 10 was the first I heard of that. Now they want me to "deduct part of the deductible from the settlement, May 5th e-mail". I guess it's common practice with Mexican Insurance that you have to pay a deductible if you're in an accident, whether the accident is your fault or not. In my case the deductible is $500 US. I would have gladly paid $500 to return to a trailer that would be in the same condition it was in before the accident.

On thing I've learned from my own experience and from other people and posts in this forum, is that if you want accident repairs done properly and with a lot less hassle you should get them done back in the States or Canada. Even though it most probably will cost you more than Mexican Insurance will pay, it would be worth it. I'm not sure what to do now, I'm just glad were only talking hundreds of dollars and not thousands. I guess that I will e-mail them to find out how much deductible they want toward my claim. That ought to be interesting. For those that are interested here are the last few e-mails between me and Qualitas.

Here is an e-mail sent to me from Qualitas: Tuesday, April 10, 2007 7:28 PM
Good afternoon: The information we have just received from our office in Ensenada is that the damage to the insured was covered directly by the party at fault and Qualitas did not take part in the repair process. The vehicle was picked up before our claims coordinator in that office was able to verify the repair, but if there's still something pending, we would try to get the other party to cover the rest of the damages. Sorry for the delay in responding, but the claims coordinator was unavailable and it wasn't until today that I received this information.

Here is my return e-mail: Monday, April 16, 2007 12:41 PM
Thanks for the reply. After reading your e-mail I am not sure if you are in the process of working on my claim or if you want me restate my case. Since it has been a week since your e-mail and I have heard nothing I will restate my case. As I said in my original e-mails, I am not completely satisfied with the repair process. When I went to pick up the trailer I had to wait for two hours before your adjuster L*** G****** C********** R******** showed up and released it. During that two hour wait I personally repaired the damaged trailer wiring harness for brake, signal and clearance lights. Plus I had to borrow tools from the owners of the storage yard two secure the stabilizer jacks which would have opened and dragged on the road if left as they were. Those things should have been fixed before I arrived and your adjuster did have a look at the trailer before releasing it to me. I will fix some of the other repairs that I am not satisfied with myself, such as doing a little more body work and redoing the patch they put on over the hole in the floor.
But, the tires and the stabilizer jacks are unacceptable.
1: They replaced my two new tires with one used 5 year old tire and a tire that had been recapped. New tires should have been put on. Old tires and especially a recapped tire can not be trusted and could be a safety hazard.
2: There are two stabilizer jacks that were bent beyond repair at the back corners of the trailer. They were just left as is, they should have been replaced.
I have re-enclosed the scanned documents that Lewis and Lewis had requested that I send to you in previous e-mails.

Here is the next e-mail I sent to Qualitas: Monday April 30, 2007
R****, I have not heard from you for 2 weeks. I wonder if you can give me an update on my claim?
Thanks Jack Roberge

Here is Qualitas's return e-mail: Wednesday May 5, 2007
Good afternoon: We have been trying to get the party at fault to cover this additional damages but have not received any answer from them. For us to be able to cover this claim, you would have to participate to a certain degree with your deductible. As mentioned before, this claim was already closed by us since all the damages were going to be covered directly, but if you want us to cover the remaining parts, we would have to deduct part of the deductible from the settlement.

[Edited on 5-3-2007 by jack]
marv sherrill
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-3-2007 at 05:17 PM

Amazing - your carrier helping is the most important part of your insurance - when I rolled my brand new truck - totalled - back in 1994 - the mexican policy- through Lewis and Lewis - did not compensate me for over 6 months and I was still paying 350 bucks a month for a car I didn't have. Discover Baja will give you the best service. - My friend had his van stolen in Ensenada and received double insurance from his US policy and DB!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 5-3-2007 at 05:27 PM

That's good to hear Marv!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

BajaGeoff
Super Nomad

Mood: Heading To Baja!!!

[*] posted on 5-14-2007 at 05:16 PM

Baja Bound and Discover Baja both use Genworth Seguros (formerly GE Seguros) as an insurance provider. I have to say that in our 4+ years of working with them they have been amazing with their claims service. We have never had any issues with them. One nice feature of their insurance is that in most cases you can bring your vehicle (or in this case a trailer) back to the U.S. to get repaired. They also settle claims based upon U.S. labor rates so you are not having to pay out of pocket for the repair. I know this situation is a little tougher since the trailer was damaged to the point that it was not drivable...but it sounds like this is getting way too complicated.

In regards to the post by David K.......I post on this forum because we want people to know that there is more to Baja Bound than just a website, and we are more than happy to assist our clients if they have a problem. We are accountable for the insurance we sell and we want people to know that.

Bedman
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-15-2007 at 12:34 AM

Soo... is the general concensus on Lewis and Lewis, Good, Bad or Average?

Bedman
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 5-15-2007 at 05:47 AM

actually we kinda like Baja Bound Insurance...and BajaGeoff

these seem to be "real people" who ARE interested in baja for MORE than the money!!!

remember ALL insurance is a "ripoff anyway" (my cinical view:biggrin:)

you're paying...$$$
you're betting you ****will get into a wreck and really trying not to:saint:...
and they're betting you do:coolup:...and "laughing all the way to the bank"!!!:O

just like you bedman...right "up-front" about "beds"
"holy cow" i know more about beds than i EVER thought i would:tumble:

[Edited on 5-15-2007 by Bob and Susan]

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 5-15-2007 at 05:56 AM

Bob and Susan. Isn't that, "You're betting you will have a wreck and really trying not to."?:)
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 5-15-2007 at 06:00 AM

oh yea...stupid uh...

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-15-2007 at 09:23 AM

We have used Discover Baja for 8 years for our yearly truck/camper coverage. Never had an accident so no claim experience.

We have used BajaBound for the wifey's car when we go to TJ for dinner or to take friends to see the sights. It is easy and quick.

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

jack
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-15-2007 at 12:06 PM

I always assumed Mexican Auto Insurance was just a necessary evil and never gave much thought as to whether one insurance company is better or worse than another. It is going on to four months since my accident and my claim is still not resolved. Thank God I haven't returned to work yet as this insurance business is time consuming and I am getting a little tired of it. It is very interesting to hear about the good and bad experiences other Nomads have had with their insurance carriers. It definitely gives you something to think about the next time you go to purchase insurance.

Lewis and Lewis have seen this forum post. They have sent me a photocopy of my first post starting this topic. I'm not sure if that is good or bad. But, it looks like I might finally be getting close to a settlement. I will keep everyone informed as to how it turns out.
bajamigo
Super Nomad

Mood: hubimos llegado

[*] posted on 5-16-2007 at 08:22 AM

Good move, vgabndo. I was just about to do the same thing. I'll bet the response will be somewhat different from what Jack experienced.

WeKeepComingBack

[*] posted on 5-21-2007 at 04:42 PM

We have been traveling Baja for over 35 years, and luckly haven't had any accidents (knock-on-wood). We travel with a lot of people every year and have been able to help them out when they have gotten into accidents. Our experience is that most Mexican Auto Insurance companies have been very professional and prompt. Keep the faith.

May the dust of Baja keep calling you back.
CaboRon
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Peacefull

[*] posted on 6-6-2007 at 10:08 AM
Insurance? We don't need any ....

Quote:
Originally posted by Taco de Baja
Bummer.
Hopefully, they threw the guy who hit you in jail, for not having insurance....But, I doubt it :no:
: I am honestly not clear if MX citizens are required to have auto insurance .... or is that just something that is not enforced. Hope your next trip is much, much safer. CaboRon

jack
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-1-2007 at 12:07 PM

Lewis & Lewis/Qualitas finally came through. I finally received a settlement check in the mail. What a tiring experience this insurance business is. My first e-mail to Lewis & Lewis was on Feb 15, that was 20 weeks ago. There was a total of 25 e-mails and one express mail letter sent back and forth before I finally received the settlement check. I think a lot of people would have just given up. I was asking for $339.68 US. I had to pay a partial deductible and therefore ended up receiving a check for $235.78 US. I had to pay a partial deductible because the guy who hit me opted to pay for the damages himself, then he could not be contacted when more damage was later discovered. Qualitas came up with a partial deductible formula to cover the extra costs. This seemed fair to me although I had no way of confirming some of their figures and had to just trust them. The total damage to the trailer was $1634.54 US, I don't think a brand new one would have cost much more.

The big question is would I use Lewis & Lewis/Qualitas again. Even though the guy who hit me paid for the original repair, Qualitas should have done a better job on overseeing quality control. The trailer is in no way as good as condition now, as it was before the accident. There are still a lot a scratches and broken or missing parts. Many of the replacement parts they used (such as the rims and fender) are used and most probably came out of the junkyard where the trailer was kept. I am not getting too excited over it because after all, it is just a utility trailer. But I would be quite choked up if my van was damaged and it was repaired in a similar fashion. I figure it took an excessive amount of time and correspondence before this claim was resolved. I will say that Lewis & Lewis were always prompt with replies to any question I asked them and were quite helpful, they were fine. Qualtas on the other hand were very slow responding and had to be coaxed a few times by me and Lewis & Lewis before they replied. I got the impression that they were trying to discourage me into giving up. I don't think I will give Qualitas any more of my business, which unfortunately rules out dealing with Lewis & Lewis.

Who knows if another insurance company would have handled things differently or have been any better. Although I finally got what I wanted the whole experience was way too long,drawn out and frustrating. One thing is for sure, I will definitely check out Baja Bound, Vagabondos and Discover Baja before I purchase insurance for my next trip. Just the other day I heard that there is a Canadian company selling Mexican Auto Insurance. I will most likely purchase my insurance from one of these choices as long as they are not brokers or representatives for Qualitas.

If anyone knows of Canadian insurance companies selling Mexican Auto Insurance can you post contact information.
vacaenbaja
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-3-2007 at 10:36 PM

Whenever buying insurance in Mexico go with the best not the cheapest. Check the ratings and go with the strongest top three. All insurance companies in Mexico are a pain to deal with. They are insuffurably slow, but the good ones payoff per policy ;so read the fine print completely and carefully. Always repair in the USA when possible,you have rights here with bodyshop work.
I have had good results with Seguros Comercial America.
They have plenty of assets backing them and payed off
to the proper local value of my totaled vehicle.
Even though the results were good it is still a major pain in the but to get things done over the phone on "mexican time" and I know the
language. THe US broakers at times can be useless. They are there just to sell you the policy.
A long time ago I had a satisfactory experience with Seguros de Atlanitico, but I do not know how they rate now.
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.