BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: Can we make it from Oceanside to Cabo in 2 1/2 days?
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-24-2007 at 09:00 PM

Did I mention that on our honeymoon we snorkled with whale sharks in La Paz? :smug:

Have a back up plan (like leave a day early) in case you run into a delay.

We were once stopped for half a day by 5 feet of standing water in a vado a few clicks north of Vizcaino. :o

Have a fabulous time!

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-24-2007 at 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
Stop to take a pee, for crying out loud. Peeing in the desert is part of the experience. My wife and I would rather hang it out along the road than deal with MOST mexican banos.

It'll cost you maybe 10-15 off the drive. We're animals.......mark your territory!

Friends dont let friends pee while driving...............

[Edited on 5-24-2007 by Hook]

Very good advice! We used to have the rule when we turned off of Hwy. 1 onto the road to Bahia de Los Angeles that you had to stop and pee in a pot hole. We knew that the day would come that we'd have them all filled up, and now look at the road! Smooth as smooth can be.

P<*)))><

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-24-2007 at 11:50 PM
For Elgatoloco...

elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-25-2007 at 08:49 AM

Nice photo!! I will have to try and resize the shot I took.

P y C, we are here all weekend in 'Baja' La Jolla! Come on down and see the kids!! No border hassles! :dudette:

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-25-2007 at 09:42 AM

Elgatoloco,
Thank you for the invitation, but we are stuck up here in the fog. Old Buggy doesn't like to drive too far, I cross my fingers that she'll get us into Sloland and back. We need some new photos of your kiddos por favor!
Pompano,
I'm gonna put that on the list for this summer. Dern saw his first Whale Shark last year, and he's hooked, so maybe I can talk him into making the drive back down. From the sat phone last night I think he said he went into La Ribera for the best marlin tacos ever? It was a weird outerspace connection, so not sure where he found the tacos, but cream of cauliflour soup didn't sound good so the kitchen staff told the boys where to go get some real food.
Oh, and to keep on topic, Dern made it down to Leonaro in 2 days from Ensenada, so I guess if you were coming from Oceanside, that would be the extra 1/2 day.
Wishing I were there.
P<*)))><

BFS
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-25-2007 at 09:49 AM
easy street!

As a reference I just drove down solo with the same schedule.
Left Fallbrook at 11:00 am, lost my starter in Rosarito (had a spare and I changed it in the Pemex off the toll road), slept the first night in El Rosario. Left the next morning at 7:00 am and was immediatelt pulled over by the police and harrassed for 3 hours. Finally paid up (100 pesos) and made it to Loreto that night. Next morning left by 6:00 am and arrived into Miguels cafe of chile relleno fame(Todos Santos) for an early lunch at 11:00 am.
So with 3 of you you are looking at an easy schedule I would say.
And definetely pee in the desert!

Aq
vacaenbaja
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-25-2007 at 09:54 AM

It is very doable safely with two or more drivers. You have
to switch off drivers every two hours or so so that the driver
stays sharp. Baja driving is harder on the eyes and fatigues
you more than you realize. Sure you can drive five or eight hours straight, but the idea is to drive at your peak, not until
exhaustion. You can make G negro the first leg driving at an average of 50mpg as 12hours A@50mph gets you 600 miles
Stop there. Get and early start. The climbs over the mountains upto and through Santa Rosalia require care, as do the climb from Loreto to plains of Insurgentes and Constatutcion. I would stop at La Paz next unless you feel
tired befor that. It all really depends on how long you normally can drive before becoming tired. Cut that time in half
and switch off. That way your okay for the long run.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 5-25-2007 at 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by aqbluegreen
As a reference I just drove down solo with the same schedule.
Left Fallbrook at 11:00 am, lost my starter in Rosarito (had a spare and I changed it in the Pemex off the toll road), slept the first night in El Rosario. Left the next morning at 7:00 am and was immediatelt pulled over by the police and harrassed for 3 hours. Finally paid up (100 pesos) and made it to Loreto that night. Next morning left by 6:00 am and arrived into Miguels cafe of chile relleno fame(Todos Santos) for an early lunch at 11:00 am.
So with 3 of you you are looking at an easy schedule I would say.
And definetely pee in the desert!

Aq

Don't leave us hanging... was it local police or federales (hwy. patrol), where, why???

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

BFS
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-25-2007 at 10:27 AM
municipales

David K,
I decided to skip coffee and get to Catavina for a cuppa and make some time. At the last tope leaving El Rosario there was a semi stopped but idling right on the road. So I did what anyone would do and passed him. 5 minutes laterI see the local or "municipales" police lights flashing in my rearview mirror. I guess I should of got that coffee after all! Anyways they said acording to the ley # blah blah blah I had driven into oncoming traffic, etc. I was peeed (having mised my java and now being delayed and having done nothing wrong)and offered him 4 pesos. That didnt go over very well. So we went to the station to "arreglarlo". They wanted $1200 usd!!! I laughed and said "necesito un cafe" and walked over to town and finally got my java!! Walked back to the police and they then said they were going to tow my car. I said no way in hell they were touching my car as it runs perfectly and they would damage my tranny if they towed it (its 4WD). So we sat there and argued back in forth. They left and said "no te muevas". They then radioed the station and told the secretary that the jefe said they would accept $120 usd so I could be on my way. I laughed again and speaking into the radio said the jefe doesnt work on sundays and that I would up my offer to 40 pesos. They said "imposible", and left me in the station. I finally told the secretary I would pay the outrageous sum of 100 pesos and they would not have to give me a receipt. If not I was going back to Ensenada to get a really big jefe involved. She radioed the two guys (who were probably just outside somewhere) and they accepted.
It was one of those days!

Aq
osoflojo
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-30-2007 at 12:27 PM

kameyer70, all the advise above is very useful. Also keep in mind the amount of daylight you will have as you will be traveling right after the equinox. Dont try to beat the road especially after twilight. You will not win. Be safe and stop if you must and make up the time the next day. Once you are south of Mulege you are home free. Enjoy............
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 5-30-2007 at 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by aqbluegreen
David K,
I decided to skip coffee and get to Catavina for a cuppa and make some time. At the last tope leaving El Rosario there was a semi stopped but idling right on the road. So I did what anyone would do and passed him. 5 minutes laterI see the local or "municipales" police lights flashing in my rearview mirror. I guess I should of got that coffee after all! Anyways they said acording to the ley # blah blah blah I had driven into oncoming traffic, etc. I was peeed (having mised my java and now being delayed and having done nothing wrong)and offered him 4 pesos. That didnt go over very well. So we went to the station to "arreglarlo". They wanted $1200 usd!!! I laughed and said "necesito un cafe" and walked over to town and finally got my java!! Walked back to the police and they then said they were going to tow my car. I said no way in hell they were touching my car as it runs perfectly and they would damage my tranny if they towed it (its 4WD). So we sat there and argued back in forth. They left and said "no te muevas". They then radioed the station and told the secretary that the jefe said they would accept $120 usd so I could be on my way. I laughed again and speaking into the radio said the jefe doesnt work on sundays and that I would up my offer to 40 pesos. They said "imposible", and left me in the station. I finally told the secretary I would pay the outrageous sum of 100 pesos and they would not have to give me a receipt. If not I was going back to Ensenada to get a really big jefe involved. She radioed the two guys (who were probably just outside somewhere) and they accepted.
It was one of those days!

Aq

If you have been reading Nomad for a year or more then you know that the #1 businessman is Antonio Muņoz, 'BajaCactus' on Nomad (owns the Pemex franchise there and the Baja Cactus Motel) and that he founded the Baja-Rosario Cultural Festival in 2005 and also organized the second last year... Which means he and the people of El Rosario are going out of their way to make their town appealing to visitors.

The police (who I have met, too) are there to serve the town, and it certainly doesn't serve the town to have happen what you claim. So, look to see some action for the good of all Baja travelers!

[Edited on 5-30-2007 by David K]

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

CaboRon
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Peacefull

rolleyes.gif posted on 6-3-2007 at 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Al G
Sure, but I am glad I will not be on the highway with you. I really wish it was only your life your risking. Take another day and enjoy life. I am really trying to be nice.
What he said. :o Ron

Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-3-2007 at 11:31 AM

Personally, I would leave ONE day earlier. Why take the risk. Life is way too short.
Well, that's my opinion.
Bob H

The SAME boiling water that softens the potato hardens the egg. It's about what you are made of NOT the circumstance.
Peloncito
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-4-2007 at 11:57 PM

No problem. Remember, June 21st is the longest day of the year with plenty of daylight for driving. When necessary, I do Los Gatos (San Jose) CA to Ensenada the 1st day. Ensenada to Guerrero Negro Day 2. And the final G. Negro to Los Barriles. Everytime I drive that, I always ask myself why so fast? Unless you are seriously strapped for time, listen to the others, slow down and check out the beauty of Baja that will be passing by your windows @ 70 mph on a 2.5 day drive.

Mike
Gnome-ad
Nomad

Mood: Okey-Dokey

[*] posted on 6-5-2007 at 01:45 AM

I read some of this thread a few days ago, before I registered to be a Nomad and I wanted to say don't assume you can make it from G. Negro to Loreto on a fill up of gas as one Nomad said they do. I was traveling with my husband's cousin and thought I could do that and almost ran out of gas on the curvy road between Mulege and Loreto at dusk. Thankfully the military checkpoint soldiers took pity on the two crazy gringa's who rolled up to the checkpoint with the gas gage way below the red empty line.

We did make it from San Diego to Todos Santos in 2.5 days, but they were LONG days. Good luck!

The only normal people are the ones you don't know very well. - Ancis
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 6-5-2007 at 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Gnome-ad
I read some of this thread a few days ago, before I registered to be a Nomad and I wanted to say don't assume you can make it from G. Negro to Loreto on a fill up of gas as one Nomad said they do. I was traveling with my husband's cousin and thought I could do that and almost ran out of gas on the curvy road between Mulege and Loreto at dusk. Thankfully the military checkpoint soldiers took pity on the two crazy gringa's who rolled up to the checkpoint with the gas gage way below the red empty line.

We did make it from San Diego to Todos Santos in 2.5 days, but they were LONG days. Good luck!

Gas tanks are NOT all the same size in every car.. and even if they were, gas milages varies quite a bit from one vehicle to another! Always know the distance to the next gas station and know how far your tank will get you!:light:

My Tacoma holds 20 gallons and gets 16-19 MPG (city-highway)... If I assume to get 18 miles per gallon on Mex. 1, I can go 360 miles (18 mpg X 20 gallons in the tank).

Rule of thumb in central Baja: If you are at or below HALF a tank, don't pass up a chance to top off.

Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 6-5-2007 at 07:10 PM

Friggin ridiculous, ABG. While it may technically be illegal, I see locals doing it all the time in ER, right in front of the delegacion with the guys right out side.

We're just the fatted calf in our four-bys..........

I guess the lesson is pass on the right.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 6-5-2007 at 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Hook
Friggin ridiculous, ABG. While it may technically be illegal, I see locals doing it all the time in ER, right in front of the delegacion with the guys right out side.

We're just the fatted calf in our four-bys..........

I guess the lesson is pass on the right.

Before you jump on the El Rosario locals, let's get some verification. BajaCactus (Antonio) has told me he confronted the local government with the post... Local businessmen in El Rosario will not tolerate anything like what was described... If it happened than 'ABG' will likely get a formal apolgy and reimbursment... If it didn't than I hope ABG will fess up and not hurt any other small Baja towns prosperity with exaggerated stories.

BFS
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-7-2007 at 10:50 AM
mordida

Hi there,
Um..... this kind of stuff happens all the time. Its annoying, frustrating, nerve wracking, but just part of the deal really. We all know this and learn to live with it.
And I think this thread is about driving times and distances anyways! I really hate to get into it with you guys, it seems more like something you do in person or on the phone.
"Investigating" this seems like quite a laugh (and will probably raise the mordida fees in the future to boot!), but if it helps this incident happened on the morning of April 28. I stayed the night of the 27th at Baja Cactus in the little corner room at the end of the parking lot. One good thing that came about this incident is that when the policias pulled me over I didnt have my US drivers licence with me (I had my international one and my chilean one). I had left it at the reception of the Baja Cactus!! So the policias actually enabled me to return to the reception and collect my licence.
It was worth it!!
Reimbursement?? Your joking right?
I hate to know whats going to happen to those poor guys.
Exaggerated stories? Hmmm lets see how about the time that a gun was pulled on me (as the police took off their badges) and everyone in the car was robbed point blank,...or the time..........

Aq
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-7-2007 at 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Paulina

Very good advice! We used to have the rule when we turned off of Hwy. 1 onto the road to Bahia de Los Angeles that you had to stop and pee in a pot hole. We knew that the day would come that we'd have them all filled up, and now look at the road! Smooth as smooth can be.

P<*)))><

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Who needs SCT?
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.