Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Grand Cherokees for baja
Gadget
Senior Nomad

Mood: Blessed with another day

[*] posted on 5-28-2007 at 06:23 PM

I have hand built the suspension front and rear on my Pre-runner Bronco GSB. It has 16" of travel front and rear, and no track or sway bars. The front TTB 4WD I beams have been engineered to pivot at the stock points and lift is achieved by cutting and welding / plating the knuckles back on to provide for stock spec on alignment. I also welded 6 degrees of positive caster into the knuckles. It handles like its on rails at any speed in the dirt or pavement. Windy mountain roads of Baja that used to be a wallowing ordeal are now a point and shoot pleasure. Disc brakes on all 4 corners help greatly also.
I think the single biggest problem with most mass produced suspension systems is they don't address proper alignment specs and may even put the vehicle into a negative caster situation. I've heard that many high performance vehicles have up to 12 degrees of pos caster. You give the vehicle turning input via the steering wheel and when you stop it snaps back to going straight.

"Mankind will not be judged by their faults, but by the direction of their lives." Leo Giovinetti

See you in Baja
http://www.LocosMocos.com
Gadget
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-28-2007 at 08:21 PM

An article explaining toe, caster and camber

http://www.ozebiz.com.au/racetech/theory/align.html

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
BajaBruno
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 5-28-2007 at 10:20 PM

Well Geronimo, I hope you are correct about the rear end. I'm leaving with it next week to tow my (light) boat to La Paz from Central Cal, so we'll see how the little darling does. I'll change the fluid, as always, when the odometer says to do it.

Christopher Bruno, Elk Grove, CA.
jimgrms
Senior Nomad

Mood: its always good

[*] posted on 5-29-2007 at 07:02 AM

I have put over 300,000 miles on 2 xj's only mods were shocks and tires no lift's, never had a death wobble, i maintain the car,s right and don't do any extream stuff, do get a little bit of head shake (bump steer) when on a curve at 70 mpg or so ( solid axel i think) They will last forever if you take care of them

[Edited on 5-29-2007 by jimgrms]
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 5-29-2007 at 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajabird
anyone with Grand Cherokee upgrades, coments, problems, solutions..... especially to the death wobble problem

had a cherokee once. now got a toyota 4runner. world of difference, for mechanical/electrical reliability, toyota beats jeep any day.
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Black Trans Lives Matter

[*] posted on 5-29-2007 at 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666
Quote:
Originally posted by bajabird
anyone with Grand Cherokee upgrades, coments, problems, solutions..... especially to the death wobble problem

toyota beats jeep any day.

What? Blasphemy! :mad:

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 5-30-2007 at 07:32 AM

No Ken, just 'truth'!:yes::biggrin: Just ask Neal Johns....:light::smug:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Edguero
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-9-2007 at 08:06 AM

Found this while surfing, anybody have there products?

Q: been doing a lot of reading about lifts for thw wj and one of the biggest complaints was about death wobble. What does your company do differently to avoid death wobble? Do the polyurethane spacers give your kit the lift or the springs or both? is there any guarentee against death wobble? thanks Jun-06-07
A: Actually... the lift or components of the lift do not cause Death Wobble. Wobble is caused by one of two things... either a tire out of balance (or round), or improper alignment. Alot of guys try and save a few bucks by installing their lift and not having a computerized front-end alignment. If you don't correct the castor on the Jeep, you can get the wobble. So by saving themselves $80 for an alignment, not only are they wearing out their tires faster and reducing their fuel economy, they are getting a wobble. Not the fault of any lift though, it is the alignment or tires that do this. Our kit provides Old Man Emu springs which are well know to be the finest riding spring on the planet for any vehicle. Lots of companies can include some cheap crummy riding springs at a full lift height of 3.5 inches. We are sticking with the proven best springs. their downside is that they are only 1.5 inches tall. So we couple them with some coil spacers for the full 3.5 inches of lift. If you have further questions, please feel free to email us direct from our website at... http://www.rocky-road.com/grand.html
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-9-2007 at 11:02 AM

Speaking of wheel alignment and camber. On my 91 chevy 4x4 the outside front tires always would wear requiring me to either flip them or rotate them. This was reguardless of who or where I got an alignment from. I dicided to experiment with the camber. I tried both a little negitive and positive camber. There is a very windy road up to the mountains and after an adjustment I would run up the road. I found that negitive camber would cause the wheels to squeel like hell, the more the louder it was, like in the old movies. I finally settled for a very small amount of positive camber. Never had a problem with outside tire wear again.
BajaBruno
Super Nomad

Mood: Happy

[*] posted on 6-10-2007 at 11:02 AM

Geronimo, the Jeep survived the trip to La Paz. No incidents. The suspension does squeek and sqeal like a donkey, but I have never figured out what´s making those noises. Towed the boat like it wasn´t back there. I´ll let you know in a month if it gets me back to California!

Christopher Bruno, Elk Grove, CA.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.