Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4
Author: Subject: Gotta buy a fridge
Marie-Rose
Senior Nomad

Mood: Worried...

[*] posted on 9-21-2007 at 12:49 PM

Love my LG purchased from Costco. Bottom freezer compartment. Works better, and certainly is quieter than the Kenmore we have here.

Remember, when in Mexico, yes may be no and no may be
maybe!
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-21-2007 at 01:58 PM

what prices are you paying in Baja?

[Edited on 9-21-2007 by Bajaboy]

Mango
Senior Nomad

Mood: Bajatastic

[*] posted on 9-21-2007 at 02:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajaboy

If I remember right my fridge cost me just under $300. I just bought a clothes washer (Whirlpool) from Home Depot for about $2999 pesos (price included tax)

From what I have seen the prices seem pretty reasonable here on most electronics and appliances; but, the selection is not as good. Also, your instruction manual and/or labels for knobs and switches will most likely be in Spanish if that is a concern.
Wingnut
Nomad

Mood: Baja Pensive

[*] posted on 9-21-2007 at 03:17 PM

Last year I had to buy a new fridge. Based on Consumer Reports that labeled this a best buy, I bought an LG with a bottom freezer. CR reports that this model lasts longer with less repairs than any other. It has glass shelves and moveable door storage. You can arrange them as needed. I did buy the smaller home model and it was really inexpensive. I bought it at Best Buy in Phoenix. I highly recommend it. (The larger model might be more to your liking as I am single and don't keep too much in mine. The larger model was only a little more expensive.)
tortuga
Nomad

Mood: Muy Despacio

[*] posted on 9-21-2007 at 05:07 PM
Info on gas refers ?

Any one have a good report on gas refers . I would imagine they are availible in Mexico. I am going of grid when I build and was thinking gas would be good for refrigeration .
The refer in our travel trailer is gas and works very well when we are visiting Los Barriles . No fumes etc . and sips the propane .
Anyways any info is always greatly appreciated.
Saludos Tortuga

Nothing happens by chance

http://www.bajatortuga.com
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 9-21-2007 at 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajaboy

Paid little over a $1025.00 for a 22 cu.ft Whirlpool here in Loreto. Only side by side I could find here. Same unit sells in Ca. for about $850.00. However,the not having to transport it and no border hassle makes the difference worth it IMO.
oladulce
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-22-2007 at 01:42 AM

Bob and Susan had warned me that the Mexican gas ranges often lack temperature markings on the oven knob to indicate the oven temp, so I came prepared with my own oven thermometer when we decided to get a tiny stove from the Ensenada Home Depot.

What I didn't realize about the 19" Mabe range that we got for our guest casita, was that there is absolutely no seal on the oven door. There might as well not be a door on it at all for the amount of hot air that blasts out.
I have to pull it out and away from cabinets to use the oven, and remember not the touch the nearby door handles so I don't leave skin behind. Oh well, the burners work ok and it'll serve it's purpose.

This experience reconfirmed that we'll be bringing in better quality applicances when we build the main house. We're too far in the boonies to be dealing with poor quality and malfunctions.

Since we're solar, always assumed we'd have a prorpane refer too but have recently done a 180° . We've got a newer, small Consul/Danby gas fridge that works fine, but still requires monitoring to keep the temp even and there's always the concern that if the bottle runs out while we're gone a few hours, or a moth puts out the flame, it wouldn't take long for the contents to reach room temperature. Dealing with the gas fridge in our camper is no big deal, but for a full-time residence, (my husband says) it'll be nice to eliminate the extra maintainence and monitoring it would require.

The large model propane refers are over $2000 dollars and for a little more than that we can get the panel(s?) and battery and a full-size electric model that we won't have to worry about or mess with.
comitan
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-22-2007 at 07:05 AM

In Mexico your not limited to just Mexican Stoves, there are other brands of high quality and all of the controls.

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
tortuga
Nomad

smile.gif posted on 9-22-2007 at 07:11 AM
Thanks Oladulce

I guess my whole thing is always the money factor . But you are right , it's probably a push buying more panels versus the higher cost of propane refer .Plus after initial cost I won't have to buy the propane .:yes::yes::yes:
Gracias y saludos ,
Tortuga

[Edited on 9-22-2007 by tortuga]

tortuga
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-22-2007 at 07:23 AM

Comitan,
I know in Chapitos market in Los Barriles they Have a number of U.S. and Japanese (?) brand appliances . They look to me to comprable to U.S. models . Probably be better price wise in La Paz , though.
Saludos,
Tortuga

Eli
Super Nomad

Mood: Some times Observing, sometimes Oblivious.

[*] posted on 9-22-2007 at 08:12 AM

I am thinking that an important consideration always be given to what effect there be in the consistant problem of inconsistency in electrical power, (i.e. brown outs) no matter what quality of electrical appliances one installs.
oxxo
Super Nomad

Mood: If I was feeling any better, I'd be twins!

[*] posted on 9-22-2007 at 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by vandenberg
Paid little over a $1025.00 for a 22 cu.ft Whirlpool here in Loreto. Only side by side I could find here. Same unit sells in Ca. for about $850.00. However,the not having to transport it and no border hassle makes the difference worth it IMO.

I've gone over the math time and time again on this kind of purchase. Here is what I have found using your refrigerator as an example:

The $1,025 Loreto refrigerator includes the 10% IVA. You go to Costco or Home Depot, and most Mexican Dept. stores, all their marked prices include the 10% IVA

The $850 CA refrigerator is plus tax, say 8% = $918
Include 15% import duty from CA on $918 = $1,055
Then you have transportation from CA to Loreto, say $100

So the grand total for the same CA refrigerator would be $1,155 for the same refrigerator in Loreto for $1,025.

Is there an error in my math? My general rule of thumb is that if it is less than 20% to 25% more for the same item in Mexico, I purchase it in Mexico.
oladulce
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-22-2007 at 09:31 AM

We use that sort of formula often oxxo, when trying to decide what items we'll bring down and what we'll buy in Mexico. But another factor I add to the equation is the amount of time it requires to shop around and determine if the model we saw in Mexico is the exact same quality and features as the one available in the US.

I find that kind of research to be time consuming even when comparing high and low-end models of US brands. Is it just bells and whistles adding to the price, or are the hundreds of dollars differences between their "good" and their "Best" due to the quality? Sounds like Bob discovered a big difference in US and Mexican versions of the same brands.

Vandenberg mentioned he compared the exact same Whirlpool model refer and shoot yeah it would be worth buying that one in Loreto to save the extra hauling effort.

My list of appliances that must be good ones:
1. Fridge 2. washer (for water and power efficiency) 3. BBQ.

No, make that: 1. BBQ 2.Fridge 3. Washer.

Note that an oven/range will never be on this list, as mi esposo can attest to. ;D

[Edited on 9-22-2007 by oladulce]
oxxo
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-22-2007 at 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by oladulce
But another factor I add to the equation is the amount of time it requires to shop around and determine if the model we saw in Mexico is the exact same quality and features as the one available in the US.

ITA...we purchased a Whirlpool fridge here in Mexico. As near as I can tell, it is the same exact model as the US....self closing door (when leveled properly), reversible door, glass shelves, all controls and instructions in English, etc. We are very happy with it and our final cost was less than had we purchased it in the US.

I cringe at some of the prices of things I purchase at Home Depot or Costco here in Mexico. But when I stop to think about it when I consider final cost and the prices already include the 10% IVA, the final cost is most often the same or even less in Mexico than the same item in the US. Yes, I know that are exactly the same item.

I did purchase a flat sccreen TV in the US and brought it down myself. I was able to save a couple hundred dollars (including CA tax & import) by doing that rather than purchase in Mexico. It was easy, just put it in the back seat. I do shop around, but I purchase 95% of my durable goods in Mexico. I find it less expensive and it just makes sense to me.
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 9-22-2007 at 09:53 AM

we looked at bbqs here in mexico
nooooo good

we imported our bbq from lowes in the states
way better unit
made in china...sorry
mexicans don't bbq like americans and the features are better on units sold in the states

washer...
we brought our 1 year old unit from the states
whirlpool neptune washer AND dryer
works GREAT!!!
low elect and very little propane use for the dryer
propane burns hotter so you use less

fridg...i'd still import next time
just because it has an american name doesn't mean it has the same "guts" inside

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
sylens
Senior Nomad

Mood: ando bajando

[*] posted on 9-22-2007 at 10:07 AM

great info here. the only thing i would add is that in the event of malfunction, costco here is NOT costco usa. although it is not indicated in writing, return policy is generally 15 days. so if you do buy a major appliance here, you may want to check out the return policy.:o

having said that, we purchased our 22 cu ft lg refrigerator with bottom freezer and are very pleased with it, particularly given the discount we got on it at ensenada costco.:)

lili
comitan
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-22-2007 at 10:58 AM

1 They are more energy efficient.

#2 They have pullout drawer which is easier to pack things into without falling out.

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
bajaguy
Elite Nomad

Mood: must be 5 O'clock somewhere in Baja

[*] posted on 9-22-2007 at 11:05 AM

and if the power goes out, cold settles. Should keep things frozen longer.
oxxo
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-22-2007 at 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by sylens
the only thing i would add is that in the event of malfunction, costco here is NOT costco usa. although it is not indicated in writing, return policy is generally 15 days. so if you do buy a major appliance here, you may want to check out the return policy.

I had not thought about that. What is the return polcy of Costco USA? I have taken things back there, but it was always within a couple of weeks. I was never questioned. If I purchase at Costco, USA can I take things back after 2 or 3 months? I've never thought to ask.

I suppose I am comfortable with a 15 day return policy at Costco Mexico. I see people returning things all the time, although I have never done that in Mexico.
oxxo
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-22-2007 at 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by morgaine7
Several folks have mentioned a bottom freezer. What would be the advantage of that, or is it a personal preference

With a top freezer, when you open the door all the cold air spills out.

With a bottom freezer with a pull out drawer, the cold air is generally going to stay within the pull out box.
 Pages:  1  2    4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.