Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3    5
Author: Subject: fun loving youngsters commit "faut pas" in Asuncion
Bajagypsy
Super Nomad

Mood: Living the dream

[*] posted on 10-22-2007 at 02:33 PM

rts551,

I was 16 when I first went to a foreign country (Japan) on my own, no parents, no adult supervision. I lived in Tokyo for 5 months at that time. Did I do foolish things, like get drunk and walk around Tokyo at 3:30 a.m. yes I did, was I lucky? Yes I was. The thing with youth is that you can tell them what they should do, but they won't listen, they know more than you. Can bad things happen to young people in a foreign country? Of course they can, but bad things can happen to you in your own country.

They will learn, I hardly ever walk around naked in foreign countries any more!:saint:
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-22-2007 at 03:03 PM

I see. Thanks for the education.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-22-2007 at 03:12 PM

Remember, Quebec is the French part of Canada...:rolleyes::light:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-22-2007 at 03:15 PM

DK-

Curious, is it okay to like Quebec since they are French Canadian...I don't watch Fox too often and am not certain what the spin is....

Hope you know I'm kidding with you...

Zac

DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-22-2007 at 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by soulpatch
I have been reading this since it's inception and I just can't fathom why anybody actually gives a chiite.
Who cares? They had fun!
It's not like they were driving illegally on the beach or anything.

Because we own a home there --- it is about battling the ugly American, or in this case Canadian image.

John and Diane

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-22-2007 at 03:22 PM

Zac, this has not a thing to do with conservatism, I was responding to what Canadian Nomad bajagypsy posted in this thread:

"From what I gather, the one girl was from Quebec, they do things a bit different in Quebec, they don't have all the hang ups the rest of us have over a naked body"...

anyway spinning is a liberal thing, right?:lol::light:;)

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-22-2007 at 03:26 PM

Oh, and naturally almost everybody believes the French do whatever they want and don't care what anyone thinks... right? Quebec=French

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-22-2007 at 03:28 PM

Quote:
I have been reading this since it's inception and I just can't fathom why anybody actually gives a chiite.
Who cares? They had fun!
It's not like they were driving illegally on the beach or anything.

A lot of people care... A lot of people have fun... but most do it with common sense.
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-22-2007 at 03:29 PM

Quote:
Have you ever driven on the beach?
Pee'd outdoors?
Accepted paying mordida?
Which laws do except breaking and justifying for yourselves and which law-breaking do you condemn?
I would spend zero time battling/defending any image other than your own. It sounds as if you live in a small community and that the people who live in it are nice folks...... if that is the truth they will judge you for who you are.

[Edited on 10-22-2007 by soulpatch]

Apples and Oranges-----it is not about the law.

John and Diane

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-22-2007 at 03:31 PM

Quote:
Have you ever driven on the beach?
Pee'd outdoors?
Accepted paying mordida?
Which laws do you except breaking and justifying for yourselves and which law-breaking do you condemn?
I would spend zero time battling/defending any image other than your own. It sounds as if you live in a small community and that the people who live in it are nice folks...... if that is the truth they will judge you for who you are.
Soul

At least where I live in Baja, what people do can be a reflection on others by association. Thats a concept not always understood by those that just visit.

[Edited on 10-22-2007 by soulpatch]
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-22-2007 at 03:41 PM

Quote:
Your morals are not my morals are not my neighbors morals.

I can't really argue that.

If you are faultless then feel free to condemn others.

What do morals or having faults have to do with cultural sensitivity, ignorance and a lack of common sense?

John

oldjack
Nomad

Mood: retired

[*] posted on 10-22-2007 at 04:08 PM

It is unfair to make snap decisions as to what/how the "crazed" one's were or were not doing and who may or may not have thought their actions to be linsensitive... in the future I propose that we have a committee to gather at the next demonstration(with digital cameras) and appropriate beverages to make a juried appraisal of the activities and post a consensus report.... heck given a reasonable notice I will volunteer for the first viewing............... I mean critique.........
Minnow
Banned

Mood: Embarrased Harry Reid is a Nevadan

[*] posted on 10-22-2007 at 04:19 PM

Jack, I can do it from here. Shari, point out the young French girl in the picture.

Proud husband of a legal immigrant.
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 10-22-2007 at 05:41 PM

well I tell ya, they were anything but ugly, it was one of the sweetest, most innocent sight of people truly enjoying themselves I've seen in a long long time and it did my heart good and it was all I could do to keep my thong on! I was kidding about the crazed, they were crazy happy to be here that's all. I know I'm in a foreign country but I don't always have to act mexican either....I don't lie and cheat on my husband and live a life of hypocracy..when I'm in the USA, I don't act american either...I wont get into THAT. Soulpatch seems to understand the scene here...it was just some youngsters having alot of fun...not meaning any harm or exhibitionism at all...just pure fun...no harm done.... lighten up

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-22-2007 at 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by shari
well I tell ya, they were anything but ugly, it was one of the sweetest, most innocent sight of people truly enjoying themselves I've seen in a long long time and it did my heart good and it was all I could do to keep my thong on! I was kidding about the crazed, they were crazy happy to be here that's all. I know I'm in a foreign country but I don't always have to act mexican either....I don't lie and cheat on my husband and live a life of hypocracy..when I'm in the USA, I don't act american either...I wont get into THAT. Soulpatch seems to understand the scene here...it was just some youngsters having alot of fun...not meaning any harm or exhibitionism at all...just pure fun...no harm done.... lighten up

Lighten up? Sorry, good taste is good taste. There is an appropriate place for that type of behavior.

This sounds like all Mexican women cheat on their husbands and live a life of hypocracy?

Please be a little more specific about "acting" American. That is a very interesting comment.

Thanks
John and Diane

shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 10-22-2007 at 06:09 PM

Obviously as I am married to a mexican man and LOVE all our family and friends, I am NOT saying ALL mexicans are anything at all....I just used those examples of things that are VERY common here..usually it is used in the context of men cheating on their wives but hey it takes 2 to tango and the mexican culture is laced with well....lies....no other way to describe it...like you say, a half truth is a whole lie! Just because we are in the midst of another culture doesn't mean we have to adopt the lifestyle lock stock and barrel...this wasn't meant to belittle or betray my mexican family or friends, it's just the truth...it is what it is...but I for one won't be adopting the negative aspects of this culture and strive to help my amigos and neighbours understand some of the positive things about my culture, it's all about sharing, respect yes...but this doesn't mean adopting it always...I have changed my culture since living here, become a better person for it I think, become more polite, giving, understanding and patient to name just a few things this culture has taught me....but there are also alot of negative things I WILL not succumb to. I will not swim in my jeans and a t-shirt...sorry...I will not make up excuses/lies to get out of a pickle or uncomftable situation....I realize most americans don't really see the difference in culture between american and canadian...so be it. But whether we like it or not...there are some differences. I choose not to get into this with you. I respect the cultures of countries I am in and try not to make too much of a fool out of myself..., but I am who I am and am proud of it. I agree with soulmate who mentioned that it's easy to call the pot black...or say, oh my THAT"S against the law ....but folks most of us break several laws a day I'm sure particularly when it is convenient and noone is watching.....and like gypsy mentioned, try to remember back to when you were that age....I much prefer a couple naked girls to listening to a really drunk fisherman ranting and raving about f'in mexicans...or a stuck up surfer who thinks he owns the beach...well lets just say these kids were much less offensive than lots of tourists I have encountered in mexico.

[Edited on 10-23-2007 by shari]

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-22-2007 at 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by shari

Guess I don't understand how it went to cheating on your husband, living in hypocracy, etc. please educate me. Again. I am not that experienced.

As for Soulpatches comments, although well meaning I am sure, Life is not a free for all. The papers are full of fun loving kids..... that ended up in tragedy. I am glad my kid learned a little (a little) restraint.

post script. just read your last post and perspective on Mexican marriages etc. never mind I will go back to sticking my head in the sand.

[Edited on 10-23-2007 by rts551]
BirdDog
Nomad

Mood: Desperate to move to Baja

[*] posted on 10-22-2007 at 06:20 PM

I can't wait to strip naked and run through my yard next time I'm down. Cover your eyes if you don't want to see. You probably have to be pretty close to see anything anyways.:spingrin:
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 10-22-2007 at 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by rts551

post script. just read your last post and perspective on Mexican marriages etc. never mind I will go back to sticking my head in the sand.

[Edited on 10-23-2007 by rts551]

Have room for us?

John and Diane

Bajagypsy
Super Nomad

Mood: Living the dream

[*] posted on 10-22-2007 at 07:47 PM

I seriously can't believe that with all that is going on in the world and in Baja, this thread is still going strong. REally they were a bunch of kids, and yes the french do things differently, heck if I had there bodies I'd be naked ALL the time!
 Pages:  1    3    5

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.