BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Poll: Build a fence?
Build it and they won't come --- 18 (51.43%)
Fence? We don't need no stinking fence. --- 17 (48.57%)

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: Build a fence?
wornout
Senior Nomad

Mood: No Bad Days

[*] posted on 11-26-2007 at 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by longlegsinlapaz
That'd be a good starting place....any suggestions on how to get the current laws enforced??

In a perfect world, we would vote the incumbents out, but this not being a perfect world, we will just let the politicians go on doing what ever it is they do and we will just post notes on forums knowing nothing will get done. And so it goes.

This Space Available, E-Mail Me If Interested.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-26-2007 at 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by wornout

In a perfect world, we would vote the incumbents out, but this not being a perfect world, we will just let the politicians go on doing what ever it is they do and we will just post notes on forums knowing nothing will get done. And so it goes.

So true. And people are shocked when organizations like The Minutemen come along.
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 11-26-2007 at 12:04 PM

I think we can handle alot of the remote border with a purely electronic fence that identifies the crossers and then puts the guys in the green and white cars on em. They'll figure it out that they cant cross without getting anywhere.

I worry that a more visible, expensive fence will make for complacency in enforcement..........and the complacency will allow the crosser to find ways over and through the conventional fence.

Of course the best solution is to encourage Mexico to provide conditions in Mexico that dont foster the crossing.

You know, little things like jobs and lack of corruption..............

Does anyone really WANT to cross hot desert at the mercy of coyotes and US policing? Many must feel they have no choice.

toneart
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Skeptical

[*] posted on 11-26-2007 at 12:17 PM

Dennis is right in that this dog has been beaten to death (but not all the fleas have vacated).

One thing you could say about Nomads reducing the soup to a pile of bones at the bottom of the pot, is that by the time we are exhausted, we will have lots of ideas that the Government has probably never thought of. I think we should go commercial. We'd probably argue on how the proceeds are distributed though. :rolleyes:

Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 11-26-2007 at 01:17 PM

A fence works both ways, it's how the gates work that counts. :D:D
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-26-2007 at 01:21 PM

If I had a choice when going to the states, I think I'd rather deal with a fence than the gate.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-26-2007 at 07:23 PM

Pay them a living wage? With the cost of living rising like a rocket, what does that mean? The real problem is that every employer thinks he has to have a four hundred foot Chris Craft.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-26-2007 at 07:33 PM

No...... I worked hard all my life.
bacquito
Super Nomad

Mood: jubilado

[*] posted on 11-26-2007 at 08:26 PM

We need a guest worker program somewhat like the old Bracero program. If we continue with "the fence" as a solution, kicking illegals out of the country, putting illegals in jail, we will lose our image as a Country of Oportunity. Many Italians, Irish, Asian and other classes of immigrants came over here as illegals and came here because of the opportunities this country presented. Many "illegals" helped this country. We need immigrants!

bacquito
Bajajack
Banned

[*] posted on 11-26-2007 at 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bacquito
We need a guest worker program somewhat like the old Bracero program. If we continue with "the fence" as a solution, kicking illegals out of the country, putting illegals in jail, we will lose our image as a Country of Oportunity. Many Italians, Irish, Asian and other classes of immigrants came over here as illegals and came here because of the opportunities this country presented. Many "illegals" helped this country. We need immigrants!
Times have changed, intelligent, educated, legal immigrants we can use.

Welfare sucking Illegal ******** dont fall into that category!

[Edited on 11-27-2007 by BajaNomad]
Cap
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-26-2007 at 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bacquito

If you are reffering to the massive waves of immigration during the 19th century, the groups of people you refer to did not come here illegally. Many of them were welcomed here by differing sides of the cessation debate, and others brought against their will.

We do need immigrants just as we need all the workers we currently have. Unemployment is between 4-5 % nationwide and some states (mine) it is much lower. The relative quality of the folks we import is key. We should be careful setting anyone's wages. The market does this far better that well intentioned outsiders.

The biggest issue of course, is security. Our porous border is our greatest weakness.

The fence seems cruel because we are a kind and welcoming culture built on the backs of immigrant laborers. It is unfortunately nessesary for the health of our republic. It will cause temporary hardship on the people of mexico but eventually force change, and hopefully bring a stop to some of the worst corruption. It is not the right answer, it is the best available answer.

[Edited on 11-27-2007 by Cap]

Fly low, land on roads.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-27-2007 at 08:16 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by vandenberg
But I'd be in greater favor of a fine of a minimum of $100,000

You realize this will only apply to a little guy who,most likely, don't even hold a contractors license and are just trying to make a living :?::?:
Doubt that anyone of them know, even in their mind, what $ 100.000.00 looks like.:(:(
Get real !!!

The meat packers that got caught are not small companies. The farms in the central valley are not small, there are three here in Bakersfield that employee over 5000 each. The company that was building the fence in San Diego that got caught using illegals was not small. I could go on, but the point is there are many companies that are not small that are using illegals.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-27-2007 at 08:34 AM

Another way to look at it:

1) It's not the contractor's job to secure our borders from alien invaders.

A) Correct it is the federal government's (Border Patrol) job to prevent illegal entry and deport those who have violated the law.

2) Contractors want to hire good workers and do pay a good price for the work.

A) Yes, contractors just want to get their jobs completed and there is ready labor just waiting to be hired and work hard. It doesn't matter what nationality they are and if they are Americans that would be great. The pay is $10-$20 per hour and may also include meals typically.

Just a note: If you need work, just go to a nearby worker pick up location (Home Depot parking lot for example) and have a sign that says "I am an American" or "I have papers" the odds are you would be hired before any others. My point is that contractors don't seek out illegals and don't want to underpay anyone.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 11-27-2007 at 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
My point is that contractors don't seek out illegals and don't want to underpay anyone.

Probably true. It opens a seperate can of worms. What do you do to the home owner who wants help putting in a sprinkler system or build a fence? $100,000 fine? Take away his house? Make him a felon?
Just asking.
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 11-27-2007 at 10:23 AM
Contractor Hiring

The proper legal course for a contractor to follow is avoid hiring undocumented labor and report to ICE every other contractor he's aware of that does. His law-breaking competitors are the cause of his problem, not the Government.

Should those violators lose their business, their homes, their freedom ? Sure. It's their choice. No sympathy.

As the DMV points out in their efforts to encourage neighbors to turn in scofflaws who are registering their vehicles illegally out of state, "they are stealing from those who DO obey the law".
Cap
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-27-2007 at 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Another way to look at it:

1) It's not the contractor's job to secure our borders from alien invaders.

A) Correct it is the federal government's (Border Patrol) job to prevent illegal entry and deport those who have violated the law.

2) Contractors want to hire good workers and do pay a good price for the work.

A) Yes, contractors just want to get their jobs completed and there is ready labor just waiting to be hired and work hard. It doesn't matter what nationality they are and if they are Americans that would be great. The pay is $10-$20 per hour and may also include meals typically.

Just a note: If you need work, just go to a nearby worker pick up location (Home Depot parking lot for example) and have a sign that says "I am an American" or "I have papers" the odds are you would be hired before any others. My point is that contractors don't seek out illegals and don't want to underpay anyone.

A very reasonable and accurate analysis. You continue to bring a great perspective.

There is a little known fact that will never be widely reported. The two sides of this fight don't want anyone to know. In a lot of places the laborers are setting the wage. High quality labor commands a good price. Many small time contractors are paying as much, or more to undocumented workers as they would to a legal one. The simple fact is that there are no laborers left. The other thing to keep in mind is that these laborers work on a day to day basis, and demand a higher price than they could if a company had to keep them on the payroll. If you doubt me drive to the local Home depot and try to get someone to get in your truck for work. The first thing they will ask you is "how much you pay?"

The immigrant laborers are keeping inflation in check, through Productivity as well. If you would like to see interest rates skyrocket to keep up with inflation, not to mention make us less competetive in a world market, round up all of the illegal labor in this country and send them home.

I am not for unchecked immigration. In fact I would like to see our borders secured FIRST, then a sensible immigration policy that weighs the relative quality of a candidate, and gets the best and brightest from other countries in a timely manner. People already here, should be made to be able to work here legally but not be able to vote unless they move back to their countries of origin and get in line.

Our elected leaders are busy balancing the base, and pandering to a huge block of potential voters.

Fly low, land on roads.
Cap
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-27-2007 at 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by MrBillM
The proper legal course for a contractor to follow is avoid hiring undocumented labor and report to ICE every other contractor he's aware of that does. His law-breaking competitors are the cause of his problem, not the Government.

Should those violators lose their business, their homes, their freedom ? Sure. It's their choice. No sympathy.

As the DMV points out in their efforts to encourage neighbors to turn in scofflaws who are registering their vehicles illegally out of state, "they are stealing from those who DO obey the law".

Yeha spy on your neighbors! That's the answer.
A bit too orwellian for me.
Had any experience with sqealing on immigration law breakers? Depending on your location you will find that the local constablary will have bigger fish to fry than a small time contractor, with a couple of day laborers. Not to mention how do YOU know these guys are ilegal. Are you an official of government duties, and had probable cause to ask for the documents of these workers, then verified there status before you called in?

Oh I get it, all Mexicans are illegal:rolleyes:

Fly low, land on roads.
jimgrms
Senior Nomad

Mood: its always good

[*] posted on 11-27-2007 at 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by vandenberg
But I'd be in greater favor of a fine of a minimum of $100,000

You realize this will only apply to a little guy who,most likely, don't even hold a contractors license and are just trying to make a living :?::?:
Doubt that anyone of them know, even in their mind, what $ 100.000.00 looks like.:(:(
Get real !!! [/quote
This little guy is also dishonest Why should he be allowed to prosper .buy not paying iu Insurance taxes ect while honest contractors have to .
Cap
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-27-2007 at 02:37 PM

Quote:

This little guy is also dishonest Why should he be allowed to prosper .buy not paying iu Insurance taxes ect while honest contractors have to .

We finally get down to it.

Small time contractors, or business owners are not getting rich from the occaisional hiring of day labor. Furthermore, there are no skilled legal workers available. The point has been discussed previously. Instead of being jealous of the perceived prosperity of others, and how to punish them for it, let's figure out how to most humanely solve a problem.

Fly low, land on roads.
bacquito
Super Nomad

Mood: jubilado

[*] posted on 11-27-2007 at 05:21 PM

We are a nation scared about terrorist and our peranoia regarding this issue can cause us harm. Regardless of a porous boarder or other security measures we can suffer a terrorist attack. If such an event occurs it will not lead to our downfall. If another 9/11 occurs I think we will be better prepared and in fact I think most Americans think that such an attack
will happen.

What will harm us is to lose our reputation as the Land of Opportunity.

For many years I worked as an Agricultural Inspector and inspected produce packed in the field. Many of the field workers I suspect were illegals. I have great respect for them. many left their houses at 3am in the morning, worked all day in the field and were respectful, appreciated the work and considered it an opportunity to be here.

bacquito
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.