BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Poll: Has recent border crime altered your trips to Baja?
I won't drive to Baja, period --- 21 (19.27%)
I won't drive the Toll road --- 19 (17.43%)
I will only fly --- 8 (7.34%)
No affect at all --- 61 (55.96%)

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4  ..  6
Author: Subject: Has recent border crime altered your trips to Baja?
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 1-9-2008 at 01:49 PM

I'd advise taking David K.'s advice, he's crossed the border more times than 95% of the posters on this board, maybe 99%.:yes:
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-9-2008 at 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cypress
I'd advise taking David K.'s advice, he's crossed the border more times than 95% of the posters on this board, maybe 99%.:yes:

If we did that, we would have to abandon either our home in Imperial Beach, or our home in Bahia Asuncion and we are just not willing to do that.

Cypress
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-9-2008 at 02:10 PM

jdtrotter, You've got more homes than a lot of people. :tumble:
BajaGeoff
Super Nomad

Mood: Heading To Baja!!!

[*] posted on 1-9-2008 at 02:32 PM

Business as usual for me. I drive the toll road between the border and Ensenada several times a month for work/fun. I always drive during the daylight hours and will continue to do so in the future

tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-9-2008 at 02:35 PM

Quote:
jdtrotter, You've got more homes than a lot of people. :tumble:

Probably because these fine people have worked hard and saved their money.

Congrats on your new home in Baja by the way.
Cypress
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-9-2008 at 03:11 PM

tripledigitken, I wish 'em only the best for both of their homes and any other homes they acquire.:D
tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-9-2008 at 03:23 PM

As do I, I just thought with all the bad news that Nomads who live in Baja have had to face recently that a compliment to some nice people wouldn't hurt.

Ken
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

[*] posted on 1-9-2008 at 03:36 PM

I'd like to avoid everything north of San Quintin, but I'll have to be satisfied with crossing at Tecate because I won't stop going. From San Nicolas', which is absolutely placid, the only streach is provisioning trips to Loreto. Not bad. Last year my fear cost me. When I got pulled over, mid-morning in the early phase of the crooked motorcycle cop scam within sight of the fence, I was (for the first time) so scared of the uniformed thief that I gave him way more mordida than the situation traditionally required. My wife is flying this year.:no:

I'll be much more careful and have an accompanying vehicle going with me.

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS
Frank
Senior Nomad

Mood: Is it time to leave yet?

[*] posted on 1-9-2008 at 04:15 PM

No more weekend runs to the areas from TJ to Ensenada for us, 7-9 trips annually. We will only drive that area during daylight hours.

I still have trips planned for Camalu, Asuncion, La Paz and Los Barriles via Mex1. If nothing is done to stop the madness, we will visit Costa Rica instead.
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-9-2008 at 04:16 PM

No effect. Have crossed at Tecate for the last 20 years.
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-9-2008 at 04:18 PM

Quote:

Interested in how you came to this conclusion and how you know how many times people cross.
SDRonni
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-9-2008 at 04:20 PM

Yes........when we go now, which isn't very often, rather than enjoy the beautiful coastline view, I'm "white-knuckling" it until we reach our destination!
tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-9-2008 at 04:33 PM

over 75% still will drive to Baja.:tumble::tumble::tumble::tumble:

I'm glad to hear that!

Ken

[Edited on 1-9-2008 by tripledigitken]
Oso
Ultra Nomad

Mood: wait and see

[*] posted on 1-9-2008 at 04:58 PM

Since I live in San Luis, AZ, I almost never use the toll road anyway. I swing down to Mex 5 about halfway between Mexicali and San Felipe and then either down THAT road or over to Mex 1 south of Ensenada. I'd like to shop for some furniture in the Muebles Rusticos places in Rosarito one of these days but the last time I was there, prior to the current crime wave, the traffic was so bad I couldn't stand it. I think the only reason I would go back to that area now would be for pastrami if Dave reopened.

Frankly, the main pucker factor for me has always been getting sideswiped or run off the shoulderless Mex 1, rather than getting robbed or shot. But, now that I drive an '04 Tacoma instead of the '82 Chevy, I am very reluctant to let it out of my sight, even with alarm, the "club" and large dog on duty.

All my childhood I wanted to be older. Now I\'m older and this chitn sucks.
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 1-9-2008 at 05:21 PM

My friends, family, and I quit going to Baja (after some 52 years) about 3 years ago-----mostly because of the increase in crime, but also because of the crowds-------we have always sought adventure in the "wilds", and that is just harder and harder to get down there. But, it still exists, and I could be talked into going if there were several vehicles going, and we could just "motor" thru the northern "civilized" (??) area-----

My biggest complaint is "having to worry about it"----that takes a lot of the fun out of going-----

USA is just a great alternative until things improve dramatically down there.

barry
Cypress
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-9-2008 at 05:45 PM

rts551, An educated guess?:spingrin:
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 1-9-2008 at 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.
USA is just a great alternative until things improve dramatically down there.

barry

It's about time somebody made this suggestion. Thanks Barry.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-9-2008 at 06:07 PM

Quote:
rts551, An educated guess?:spingrin:

I am sure there are a ton of Nomads who cross the border more than I... Also, there are even Nomads who have seen more of Baja than I (maybe)... at least have been to areas I still haven't seen! LOL

Not counting trips to TJ to visit with Antonio and Lorenia, we have made trips to Baja up to 13 times a year from 2000 to 2007. (most of them are listed on my web site so you all can enjoy the photos). Last year, just 4 trips...

You know what I say? "So much Baja... so little time!"

That has changed to "So much crime... not Baja this time!"

Serously, I do want to be there for my research, camping, hiking, four wheeling, off road race spectating or support... This situation is pretty sad.

Thanks to Doug Means for hosting Baja Nomad to give us a fix while we are north of the border!:bounce:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

surfer jim
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-9-2008 at 06:18 PM

I'm on "hold" until better news comes along...:(
HotSchott
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-9-2008 at 06:42 PM

Since there are several toll roads in Northern Baja, I will qualify my response. I have absolutely no desire to venture through TJ to anywhere on the West Coast. I am completely over Rosarito - the place is a complete dump with the exception of Vince's Restaurant.

I miss the desert, but I have reduced my travels to almost none in the last 18 months. I have spent 30 - 45 days in Baja deserts and beaches camping for each of the last 15 years. It ain't worth it any more. Way too much BS and way too many a$$holes. I simply don't feel safe without my guns and I'm not going to risk getting tossed in a Mexican jail to feel safe. I will probably consider going more with a group, but I really don't like groups - maybe just with certain individuals.

There is so much of the USA I have not explored. It was always convenient to travel South from San Diego, but that has changed so dramatically and so quickly. I am not done with Mexico, but most of my trips will be on a sport fishing boat 30 miles offshore. I am a really bad victim and I will not put my wife in harms way to satisfy my personal desire to be in Baja wilderness. The world is changing. Everything is different now. I am neither paranoid nor elitist, but I will not be a statistic for some dumb POS looking for easy, unarmed prey. It is really kinda sad.
 Pages:  1  2    4  ..  6

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.