BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Poll: Has recent border crime altered your trips to Baja?
I won't drive to Baja, period --- 21 (19.27%)
I won't drive the Toll road --- 19 (17.43%)
I will only fly --- 8 (7.34%)
No affect at all --- 61 (55.96%)

Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3    5  6
Author: Subject: Has recent border crime altered your trips to Baja?
longlegsinlapaz
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-9-2008 at 07:25 PM

Ken, as I believe CaboRon was implying, those of us that live here full-time are in a slightly different position. I've made the drive many, many times...probably as often alone as with someone. NEVER driven at night. I haven't made the drive for 3 years, but I definitely wouldn't make it with the increased incidents against tourists over the past year+. If I HAD to go to the states now, I'd fly. And I'm sooooo glad I live as far south as I do! Not that there isn't crime down here too, but just humor me & let me keep on thinking it's much safer down here!:lol:
BajaBros
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-9-2008 at 08:09 PM

I've been driving and flying to Baja since the mid 60's. I raced SCORE for over 11 years. But now I won't go on the TJ/Ensenada side UNLESS I'm caravaning with 4 or more other vehicles filled with Baja-savy travelers AND we're just passing through. Enough people have suffered at the hands of unrestrained Baja drug a-holes that it just isn't worth the risk. When the San Felipe SCORE race moved to Ensenada last year, I pulled out of the competition. I lost some money, but screw Ensenada. For me, Ensenada has sucked since the day twelve years ago when my second wife and I were accosted on the street by Mexican druggies. The bloom was officially off the rose. This year I will be going to San Felipe for the SCORE race, but I won't relax. Hopefully, the east side will remain less screwed up than the west side.
Bernardo
Junior Nomad

Mood: Bien

[*] posted on 1-9-2008 at 08:18 PM

I have a casita in La Paz and spend the winters there. I drive through Tecate and usually spend the nite further south than Ensenada. I only drive during daylight hours. I do stop at a large grocery store on the west side of the main highway out of Ensenada and have absolutely no problems. I use the ATM there to stock up on pesos and park my truck, camper and trailer in the parking lot. Grande lot so no problems with parking. I did stay in an RV park just as the highway from Tecate hits the Ensenada highway and no problems. TJ sucks. I had enough of that place when I was in the navy stationed in San Diego in 1956. No mas para me.

Use your heads people. Do not drive at night and stay in a gated motel or RV park. There are parts of San Diego I would not drive through at night either and some I certainly would not spend the night in as well.
Bajalover
Nomad

Mood: Strongly - Missing Baja

[*] posted on 1-9-2008 at 08:18 PM

I really, really, really love Baja and have visited it 1000's of times during the last 30 years. YET :( the crime and having to put my life on the line isn't worth the wonderful beaches and camping places in Baja. I just wonder how BOLA camps are coping with the lack or decreased visitors? Daggets is a great place, wonder if he's full? Most likely with folks traveling from Canada.
ONCE MEXICO'S POLITICIANS BEGIN CLEANING UP so it's safe to travel again, Hey, I'll be there.
Sorry to miss kayaking in LA Bay this year. Hopefully next year will be better again.

Sometimes you really do question; why you are and where you are.
Gypsy Jan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Depends on which way the wind is blowing

[*] posted on 1-9-2008 at 08:35 PM
Common Sense Travel Rules Apply

Travel in daylight or early evening, i.e., when locals are going to work, taking kids to school and/or returning home to family.

When you park, keep the vehicle in sight or leave a fellow travel partner in the vehicle.

Travel with dog(s) - this does not cancel the above rule.

Be aware of your surroundings - when visiting an ATM, look around and be alert, and block any one's view of what you are doing.

Don't open a wallet and flash cash in public no matter where you are. Figure out what your puchase is going to cost and separate that amount for the transaction.

Keep in mind that Mexico is a third world country - whatever your level of income, your are still rich by their standards and eyes will follow you, everywhere.

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow mindedness.”
—Mark Twain

\"La vida es dura, el corazon es puro, y cantamos hasta la madrugada.” (Life is hard, the heart is pure and we sing until dawn.)
—Kirsty MacColl, Mambo de la Luna

\"Alea iacta est.\"
—Julius Caesar
Al G
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Wondering what is next???

[*] posted on 1-9-2008 at 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tripledigitken
over 75% still will drive to Baja.:tumble::tumble::tumble::tumble:

I'm glad to hear that!

Ken

[Edited on 1-9-2008 by tripledigitken]

Ken...don't know how you are figuring, but the first three lines all mean the same thing and added together it is closer to 50/50....
An outright condemnation of Baja Norte if you ask me....

Albert G
Remember, if you haven\'t got a smile on your face and laughter in your heart, then you are just a sour old fart!....

The most precious thing we have is life, yet it has absolutely no trade-in value.
Al G
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-9-2008 at 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Gypsy Jan
Travel in daylight or early evening, i.e., when locals are going to work, taking kids to school and/or returning home to family.

When you park, keep the vehicle in sight or leave a fellow travel partner in the vehicle.

Travel with dog(s) - this does not cancel the above rule.

Be aware of your surroundings - when visiting an ATM, look around and be alert, and block any one's view of what you are doing.

Don't open a wallet and flash cash in public no matter where you are. Figure out what your puchase is going to cost and separate that amount for the transaction.

Keep in mind that Mexico is a third world country - whatever your level of income, your are still rich by their standards and eyes will follow you, everywhere.

Jan...not trying to do battle and what you say will help for sure...but I have got to say WHY....

Albert G
Remember, if you haven\'t got a smile on your face and laughter in your heart, then you are just a sour old fart!....

The most precious thing we have is life, yet it has absolutely no trade-in value.
tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-9-2008 at 09:29 PM

Al,

the second question refers to avoiding the toll road, but still driving. the fourth question no change to traveling, currently those 2 total 7o percent, when I posted it was 75 percent. Doesn't imply an affirmation of baja norte just the willingness of 7O percent of voters to still venture south.

ken
Al G
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-9-2008 at 09:46 PM

Sorry Ken...I thought we were Talking "Has recent border crime altered your trips to Baja? ":?:

Albert G

Terry28
Senior Nomad

Mood: Thirsty

[*] posted on 1-9-2008 at 10:07 PM

Gypsy Jan makes nothing but sense. Since we have homes outside of Rosarito and Mulege we travel a lot in Baja and have for over 40 years. When I was younger and single I created any problems that really occured.
Now, older and hopefully a little wiser we have very few problems and we are there often, either surfing in the Rosarito area or hanging in Mulege.
Use your common sense and you should be problem free. I would say just act like you would in Oakland at night but I would hear from too many Oaklandites I'm sure. I still know our 13 yr old daughter is safer in Baja then in the states..........

Mexico!! Where two can live as cheaply as one.....but it costs twice as much.....
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Its Pole Line Road time

[*] posted on 1-9-2008 at 10:21 PM

In March '07, I bought a 1 year Insurance policy so I could go whenever I wanted. I still go to Baja, just not like I did prior to 9/11 due to crowds and lines at the border. I feel bad for those hurt/injured along Hwy 1 between Ensenada & TJ. I still love it there...

Trying to clear a boulder on Basketball Hill along the legendary Pole Line Road - Baja, Mexico...

dean miller
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-10-2008 at 06:44 AM

We missed a spring trip due to illness.

We missed Thanksgiving due to visitors

We missed Christmas due to illness.

Unless the Mexican government restores order we are seriously considering joining the ranks of David and visit SW USA, and I have been visiting Baja since December 1951

If circumstances had allowed Baja travel we would have significantly altered our travel routine, which in past has included a late afternoon crossing at TJ, driving at night on toll road, through Ensenada to Santo Tomas and over nighting down the hill way in the back with our last hook up at El Palomar...

sdm
805gregg
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-10-2008 at 08:03 AM

I will avoid Baja for the time being, not because of my fear of crime but because of the general degradation of Baja overall. My wife and I spent 2 weeks driveing around BCS this last summer and spent another week flying into Loreto and driving around, the Baja of today just does't do it for me anymore. They say you can't go back, they are right after more than 40 years visiting Baja, the changes are too much. I always thought I would have a little casita in Baja for my retirement but now I will have to look elsewhere.
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-10-2008 at 08:27 AM

It is interesting to me how this tends to take on a life of it's own. The police harrasment and mordida has been going on for as long as I can remember and everyone used to talk about it and most kept a small stash of dollar bills to get out of any scrape with officials that they crossed paths with. It was a part of the story and lore of Mexico travel. The highjackings were a different matter and did strike fear in the heart of travelers. Most people are already a little uncomfortable when they come into a foreign land with strange language and customs and it is easy to have that fear magnified when these stories abound. Even though I have been coming to Mexico since the early 70's, speak the language, and understand a fair amount of the culture, I admit that I always breath a sigh of relief when I cross the border back into the US. Even though I hear a lot of negatives about the political structure and goings on of the US, it is obvious that people are able to travel freely and securely in the US. When we had an outbreak of shootings and violence in the Southeast and Florida, it was a very short time until peace and order were reestablished. When I went to Florida to pick up a new boat two years ago, we found one or sometimes two security guards in the rest areas and were able to feel very safe spending the night in the camper.
But for all these years you had the adventurer who chose to travel to Baja because things were more primitive and uncontrolled, but it was more like a Disneyland trip where everyone thought they could camp on the beaches (safely) and travel wherever they wanted (safely) and not have to fear violence. I guess that the illusion is finally over and people are begining to make choices about how far outside of their envelope they are willing to go. I certainly travel with more apprehension now and do not do some of the things I did when I was younger and more foolish, but I am also aware that I have a long ways to go before I am not going to winter in Baja.
bajadock
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-10-2008 at 08:33 AM

Non-scientific poll to be certain, but, with the pessimistic news and conversations lately, why 50% "no effect"?

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 1-10-2008 at 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pescador
The police harrasment and mordida has been going on for as long as I can remember and everyone used to talk about it and most kept a small stash of dollar bills to get out of any scrape with officials that they crossed paths with.

It has been going on forever but, like cancer, it doesn't stay in early stages. It grows until it kills.
CaboRon
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Peacefull

[*] posted on 1-10-2008 at 09:42 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:
Originally posted by Pescador
The police harrasment and mordida has been going on for as long as I can remember and everyone used to talk about it and most kept a small stash of dollar bills to get out of any scrape with officials that they crossed paths with.

It has been going on forever but, like cancer, it doesn't stay in early stages. It grows until it kills.

Well said Dennis.

CaboRon

DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-10-2008 at 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by tripledigitken
Quote:
Originally posted by Cypress
jdtrotter, You've got more homes than a lot of people. :tumble:

Probably because these fine people have worked hard and saved their money.

Congrats on your new home in Baja by the way.

I would love to have a third home in Montana. :lol::lol:

Flying is not an option for us---unless we can hire a plane that is small enough to land at our airstrip here and still carry two adults, two dogs, and a pick-up size load (packed real full) of goodies---guess we will still drive. ::lol:

One thing that has changed for us is who we stop for on the highways. On our dirt road, we stop for almost anyone. On the road to Vizcaino we are guilty of profiling--older, families, etc., but three young men---no. We have been warned by people here that some people from this pueblo have been robbed by people stopped on that highway so we need to be careful.

We know crime can happen to anyone and know it has grown. Then again, someone mentioned Hawaii---last time my sister was there, she and her group were robbed at gun point.

For the sake of the people in Baja, we do hope more will be done---so bad for the business people up north.

Diane

Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 1-10-2008 at 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajadock
Non-scientific poll to be certain, but, with the pessimistic news and conversations lately, why 50% "no effect"?

I questioned that earlier in the thread, too. Within the first 20 or so votes, the "no-effect" vote grew dramatically...........yet presumably those same posters were admitting to altering their departure schedules in their comments. That is NOT "no-effect", especially when your travels take you farther south than BOLA, which mine usually did. I would count on doing some driving in the dark on the toll roads and through Ensenada, both coming and going. With that disappearing as an option, it's like adding a half day of driving and added o'night expenses to each trip. That's not desireable, for persons with a finite number of vacation days. Retirees and people with jobs that dont accrue paid vacations probably arent affected.

Gypsy Jan's comments are true enough. But I'm not sure her destination requires here to drive at night at all to get there. And her other precautions apply mostly to the Gauntlet, IMO.

[Edited on 1-10-2008 by Hook]

tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-10-2008 at 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajadock

Possibly those "no effect" folks have been crossing at Tecate and don't use the Toll Road. With the questions as presented they would fall in the "no effect" catagory.

Ken
 Pages:  1    3    5  6

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.