BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: GRINGOS GRINGOS GRINGOS!
Oso
Ultra Nomad

Mood: wait and see

[*] posted on 4-13-2004 at 06:49 AM

FEESH TACO :lol: (taco de pescado)
Markitos
Nomad

Mood: let me check

[*] posted on 4-13-2004 at 07:09 AM

I've tried just about everything my freinds put on my plate... I lean to the fish taco side, LOVE BAJA but Im still IRISH ....Tripe and I dont get alone no matter how hungover I am . Oh Yea ....Im POOR Irish not rich yuppie sheeeesh!
Packoderm
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-13-2004 at 04:39 PM

"FEESH TACO (taco de pescado)"

I have only seen stalls with "fish taco" (not taco de pescado) written on the signs.

Mike Humfreville
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-15-2004 at 06:38 PM
In our early days at Bahia de Los Angeles...

There was no predictable supply of beef, pork or chicken (that we knew of). There were two small stores (this was in the early '70's) and they sold canned and dry goods ahd household items like brooms and mops, but no meat. There was of course all the fish you wanted.

When we were invited to share a meal with a local family, it was usually based around fish, but fish was often replaced by other staples, particularly cheese and eggs. Chili rellenos and omlettes were more often than not the order of the day in many families in those days, perhaps still.

But I do agree with those above proposing that tacos are not for tourists.

Just think back to the '50's and '60's when many of us (older dudes) were frequenting TJ and Ensenada. Any one of us who ate at any taco stand would be assurred of a hearty case of the quickstep. In those days tacos from the local stands were avoided by tourists and consumed only by the locals.

jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-16-2004 at 07:52 AM
Kids on the internet

is what this poster sounds like. He isn't too far of on some aspects but I want to thank him for enlightening me to fish tacos. I was under the impression that Pastrami is what we are supposed to eat here. I have certainly enjoyed it.
I guess I will have to branch out andtry one o them fishy tacos. Maybe with some fresh almejas from the Endless Summer.:lol:
Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 4-16-2004 at 10:48 AM

Over the years I've had a few meals with the pescadors in Baja--lobster fried in mustard sauce, abalone soup, beef stew, machaca with venison jerky.....but I don't ever recall being served a fish taco!
backninedan
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-16-2004 at 11:33 AM

CaliMex, your village just called, they want there idiot back.
bajalera
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-16-2004 at 04:59 PM
fish tacos

Callimex, you're a dude who really knows how to stir up a chubasco. But when it comes to fish tacos, I'd say your experience is somewhat limited.

In 1964 we lived in La Paz, across from the jail that has since become a library, and my kids often bought fish tacos from the lady who ran the tienda around the corner from us. The only Americans I ever saw in this part of town were a couple of guys who got put in jail, so she wasn't making these tacos for tourists.

After all those rants about the food preferences of dumb gringos, I think you owe us a description of the dish you consider the No. 1 item of Baja California cuisine.

bajalera

\"Very few things happen at the right time, and the rest never happen at all. The conscientious historian will correct these defects.\" - Mark Twain
JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-16-2004 at 05:17 PM

I just ate 2 Shrimp Tacos, 1 Fish, and 1 marisco, yum....:P
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-16-2004 at 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajalera
the No. 1 item of Baja California cuisine.

1. jalape?os
2. mayonesa
3. jalape?os con mayonesa
4. mayonesa con jalape?os

JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-16-2004 at 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dave
Quote:
Originally posted by bajalera
the No. 1 item of Baja California cuisine.

1. jalape?os
2. mayonesa
3. jalape?os con mayonesa
4. mayonesa con jalape?os

Coca Cola.

the baja chihuahua

[*] posted on 4-16-2004 at 08:20 PM

[img]www.idleeyes.com[/img]
The Gull
Super Nomad

Mood: High

[*] posted on 4-17-2004 at 07:28 AM
Hay Poochie

What was link all about?

�I won\'t insult your intelligence by suggesting that you really believe what you just said.� William F. Buckley, Jr.
bajalera
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-17-2004 at 03:44 PM
Calilmex

Well where are you, Calimex? Although your fish-taco critique stirred up a storm, most Nomads are able to tolerate dissension without blowing any fuses. But it's not nice to post a controversial rant and then slink off without even an adios.

So fess up, dude,
What's your favorite Baja food?

bajalera

\"Very few things happen at the right time, and the rest never happen at all. The conscientious historian will correct these defects.\" - Mark Twain
Sonora Wind
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-17-2004 at 04:55 PM
The Tacos We Eat

When I fish in the Cortez I do not walk into the hills to find fish tacos. However when I pass through Hermosillo I always stop at the open air market, across from the ( New Super Walmart ) and have a beef taco and coke. Mucho good O:cool:
Come to think of it, I love fish in my tacos. In fact, I eat fish in my tacos in Mexico, in the USA, and in most of South East Asia. Fish The Other Other White Meat:smug:
JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-17-2004 at 07:13 PM

Calimex was outgunned and outsmarted, i figure he went to a kids board where he is feeling right at home.:D
surfer jim
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-17-2004 at 10:34 PM

Saw Calimex today in ENSENADA.....eating FISH TACOS.....:P
Taco de Baja
Super Nomad

Mood: Dreamin' of Baja

[*] posted on 4-21-2004 at 10:32 AM

I remember a memorable meal of pickled pulpo (octopus) that a lobster fisherman from Punta Blanca gave us that his wife had made. Only a few of us indulged, after much tequila and beer, but it was actually quite good.
JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-21-2004 at 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by surfer jim
Saw Calimex today in ENSENADA.....eating FISH TACOS.....:P
At the Fish market, the worst fish tacos in town.:bounce:

Packoderm
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-21-2004 at 09:30 PM

Jesse, can you tell me where to get the best fish tacos in Ensenada for the best value? You can U2U me this information if it is considered too confidential and sensitive to publicize.

I remember hanging out in an industrial area of Ensenada where there was a cart in front of a furniture manufacturing plant. The cart was selling tacos de carne asada for 10 cents U.S. apiece to the workers on lunch hour. Those tacos sure were good.

I also remember a sit-in restaurant across the street, catty-corner (sp?) from the fish market that had fish tacos (quite expensive at close to a dollar apiece, but they sure were excellent) and baby Pacificos in a bucket of ice. They had very tall tables and stools. (I kind of remember the stools being barrels or something like that) The last time I looked, it was closed down and empty. Its hard to believe because there was always a crowd inside. One thing I love about Ensenada is how fun it is to walk around all night with my friends drinking and eating without getting a fiscal hangover the next morning. If that is Gringo bastion, well damned hang me. But of course we were in league with many Mexican partiers that had the same idea as us. We especially had fun at an establishment called "The Fox." That place had class.

About two years ago this coming May, I was best-man at my friend's wedding, and we flew him to S.D., rented a car, drove to Ensenada, and threw him a bachelor party. What a night. We stayed on the fishing-boat that we fished on the next morning. We ate enough fish tacos from one particular stall at the market to stuff a whale. I like how you can bring your own beer bought elsewhere. We learned that if you make friends with the people in a particular stall they will cook better for you. It is also a good idea to share your catch with them. This works out pretty well if you catch better fish than what the stall is stocking at the time. I especially like fish tacos made from small bottom-fish. Well, we didn't catch any big bottom fish so we wouldn't know what fish tacos would taste like with big ones. Maybe next time.

Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.