Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Cabo to Tijuana 5/2/08 road report
Trojan
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-5-2008 at 09:40 AM

I totally understand where some of you are coming from, The road does take complete concentration, Cows, Pot holes, On coming traffic, Ck points, etc.
Normally I wouldn't do the whole trip in 1 day, on the way out 3 weeks ago I left at 4am from Orange County and was in Loreto at 6:30 and we stayed overnight.
Like I said I usually spend the night either at Bob's in El Rosario or at Rice/Beans in San Ignacio. I just wasn't tired this time and the road was almost empty. Its very tiresome to pass trucks or pay attention when the road has alot more traffic. Would I recommend this for anyone? Absolutely not. The fact is I was not tired or anything and it was light out. I average 50 mphs for the whole trip give or take a few areas where its straight miles. I appreciate folks concerns.
But lets try again, The road conditions were empty, the ck point were fine but they did search the vehicle at all of them and took my passport number down as well. Ensenada, Rosarito, Tijuana were dead. The border was 20 cars deep in all lines but it still took a hour to get thru. The roads were in great shape 97% of the time. New asphalt all over the place. I take advantage of straight runs and Im extremly cautious in the hills. Gas was plentiful at all stops.

Take Care.
Chris
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 5-5-2008 at 09:47 AM

Chris---------aside from all the guff we have given you, I am sure that we ALL appreciate the "road report", and it is good to know that it is in real good shape.

I find it alarming, but not surprising, that you encountered so little traffic-----not a good sign for the tourist industry in Baja California.

Thanks again for the report, and just ignor us grouchy's. :lol:

barry
Trojan
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-5-2008 at 11:21 AM

I attributed the dead roads and the lack of nightlife in Ensenada/Rosarito to the shootings and what not that happened a week ago. Another reason I kinda wanted to keep going and get out. With my Son and my Doggies being my life I was really motivated to get to the border.
tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-5-2008 at 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Trojan
Another reason I kinda wanted to keep going and get out. With my Son and my Doggies being my life I was really motivated to get to the border.

Sounds to me you missed the best part of going to Baja, that is the journey itself. Glad you made it safely though. Why not just fly down in the future, if Cabo is your choice?

:?::?::no::?::?::?:
Trojan
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-5-2008 at 01:54 PM

I wont put my dogs on the airplane triple, they would be devastated. Also everything is slow as **** in Mexico and we were trying to get some stuff finished on the house that ran overtime a few days. I got 4 house's in Orange COunty Im building and needed to be here Monday morn. Awake and ready to get work done. If I would have stayed in El PRosario friday night I would have spent all day Sat trying to get home. And 1 days rest would not have cut it for me. I luv the journey and the sights but this time I had to get home. I was mentally prepared and motivated so that probably also had something to do with the fact I wasn't tired or no aware. It is not my usual drive to Cabo, this was lets go and get'r done.

[Edited on 5-5-2008 by Hose A]
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 5-5-2008 at 06:04 PM

I thought you hired a private jet for your dogs once. They didn't like it?

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

[*] posted on 5-5-2008 at 06:05 PM

In March the reten north of GN took as long as I've ever waited. No where near 1.5 hours, but they were putting a dog in many of the south-bound vehicles and really taking their time. I think the CO there is bucking for a promotion!:lol:

[Edited on 5-6-2008 by vgabndo]

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS
fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 5-5-2008 at 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by fishbuck

"Also I plan on flying home on a chartered plane at the end of January with the 3 dogs"

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-5-2008 at 06:51 PM

Wow Chris yas gots some real gumption! Hang in there!

Did you say you weren't rich?

Five houses and one in Cabo. Poor guy.:lol:

I'd still like to know how you are gonna rent that place.

End of cross-examination:bounce:

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-5-2008 at 06:53 PM

Btw, awesome avatar. What's the Trojan name for.

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 5-5-2008 at 07:38 PM

If it's a comfortable vehicle... long drives are not that much hassle.

Many of you drive big mo-hos or trailers/ boats... at that needs extra concentration.

Baja Angel and I drove from Bahia Concepcion all the way home to Oceanside in one long drive... with stops at the Mulege mission, Rice and Beans for lunch in San Ignacio, checked out the old warf in Laguna Guerrero Negro, dinner as it got dark in El Rosario at Tacos Mision (stuffed baked potatoes), home at 2:30 am... Oh, I had a Monster drink at the roadside place north of Santo Tomas! We were in no hurry, just didn't have a reason to stop... Of course, driving the ultra comfortable but tough Toyota Tacoma made it possible!

Trojan... where is 'Bob's Place' in El Rosario?? Could you mean ED LUSK'S 'Baja's Best Bed & Breakfast'?

Antonio has the ultra nice, and cheap Baja Cactus Motel and Primo has the Sinahi Motel... and there's Mama Espinoza's Las Cabanas Motel...

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Trojan
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-5-2008 at 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by fishbuck

It never worked out, it was to expensive, 10k each way. If you know of a better deal Im all ears.

Quote:
Originally posted by Sharksbaja
Btw, awesome avatar. What's the Trojan name for.

Thanks, It was my grandpas Liqueur business name. Now its the name of my Building Co. Trojan Builders. My house in Cabo's called Casa De Pirata.
Its decorated totally pirate style.

Heres the view from the house,

Quote:
Originally posted by David K Trojan... where is 'Bob's Place' in El Rosario?? Could you mean ED LUSK'S 'Baja's Best Bed & Breakfast'?

your absolutly correct, Im terrible with names as I only see them a few times a yr. But yeah Ed's place with the starbucks coffee, And now he's go a bar in there and no more abalone art. Hiss rentals are pretty sweet, so his goats.
CaboRon
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Peacefull

[*] posted on 5-6-2008 at 06:42 AM

Trojan,

What a stunning view from your home in Cabo !

Welcome to the board, and thank's for the trip report...

CaboRon

Freebird
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-13-2008 at 03:02 PM

Quote:

:o:O
Fred
Senior Nomad

Mood: Laid Back

[*] posted on 6-13-2008 at 03:06 PM

I must be slow or enjoy the drive South with all the sights, because it takes me 4 weeks to drive from Tecate to Los Barriles.

Fred
Chamaco
Banned

[*] posted on 6-13-2008 at 08:24 PM
don't be sore

Don't be angry with me. Sometimes I drive from Ensenada to Maneadero with no stops. Oh i know, I am crazy you don't have to tell me......the voices do

What shall it profit a man if he gains the whole world yet loses his own soul- J.C.
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-13-2008 at 09:02 PM

BAD NOMAD! I think driving across the LA basin is more hazardous then most of the drive down Baja.

People who are not alert should be off the road. I go far in a day. If I tell you more than that I'll be in big doo doo!:lol:

Its 1085 miles from TJ to Cabo.

How in the world can you make it from the border to Cabo in 18 hrs @ 50mph. That be only 900 miles without any stops and never driving below 50?

Hmmmmmm???? Very interesting!:wow:

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
ELINVESTIG8R
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 6-13-2008 at 09:14 PM

You Elitist numbskulls make me want to vomit. Shut up and let the person tell his story without your holier than thou comments. You Sheeple who prostrate and kiss the Elitist rings make me want to vomit also with your similar comments as the numbskull Elitists.
Go to http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=31848 and vote.

ElFaro
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-13-2008 at 09:48 PM

I don't have a problem at all with those who can avg. 50+ mi/hr driving a single vehicle through Baja covering long distances.

I have a real big problem with those who think they can do the same thing towing a trailer or boat or car !! Remember that report last year of the surfing group from Long Beach who thought they could just power down to Scorpion Bay at the same speed they powered down to the border from Long Bch. ? Ain't gonna happen...Remember how the lady in the van towing a utility trailer got behind a truck while the convoy was out ahead of the truck and she tried to pass the truck on the left side and ended up rolling the van with everyone getting thrown out?

Or how about Gringos who live in Baja full time, can't or won't even try to speak Spanish, who then are somewhat isolated. With nothing to do day in and day out (you can only fish so much and you can only go out in the wind and sun for so long) end up drinking or at least getting themselves a little "pickled" as the day begins. Who then try to get on the highway in this condition to run down to the local mercado for something. Hey...there are plenty of Mexicans who are drinking and driving both cars and trucks.

I take my time towing our trailer...good tires also make a substantial difference allowing the trailer to track behind the truck.
BajaGringo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Let's have a BBQ!

[*] posted on 6-14-2008 at 01:18 AM

So...

You've heard of MADD?
Mothers Against Drunk Driving

We now have a new group - BEDDS!
That's right - Baja Elitists Dictating Driving Speed

So who is hosting the first chapter meeting???

I'll bring the cookies - you provide the Geritol...

[Edited on 6-14-2008 by BajaGringo]

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.