Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  12    14  
Author: Subject: MULEGE MIRROR - "Remember When?"
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-10-2013 at 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
I well remember the 'Jayne Mansfield 18 hour bra' commercials, as a kid... ;)

Thanks Roger!

It was Jane Russell.

Bringing back your memories:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdbG1NFGiNM
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 12-11-2013 at 01:57 PM
Jane Russel MIGHT have come to Mulege.

For sure she SHOULD have come to Mulege.

(Jayne or Jane, Igor?)

Jane Russel...ah, the stuff of WWII G.I. dreams...and famous quotes:

Bob Hope once introduced her as “the two and only Jane Russell,” and on another occasion defined high culture as “the ability to describe Jane Russell without using your hands.”

She had that trademark smirk...beautiful & a real thinking woman. Wesley Pruden of the Washington Post had interviewed her many times, and wrote this at the time of her death in 2011, aged 89. "She was one of the last grown-ups in Hollywood, from a time when celebrating love of country was not a felony and a conservative Republican was not an endangered California species."

Thinking back, I am 'almost sure' that Russel visited Mulege.

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
vgabndo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Checking-off my bucket list.

[*] posted on 12-11-2013 at 02:09 PM

Roger, you may be right.

Culture: being able to describe Jane Russell without using your hands! Classic.:lol::lol::lol:

su tipo de mujer.jpg - 42kB

Undoubtedly, there are people who cannot afford to give the anchor of sanity even the slightest tug. Sam Harris

"The situation is far too dire for pessimism."
Bill Kauth

Carl Sagan said, "We are a way for the cosmos to know itself."

PEACE, LOVE AND FISH TACOS
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-16-2014 at 11:18 AM
A River Runs Through It

RIO DE SANTA ROSALIA…. in MULEGE. This has bugged me for ages…Why doesn’t the city change the river’s name to Rio Mulege? Or perhaps, like this thread, it just isn't relevant anymore...

The Great Floods of Mulegé………..”Cry Me a River”

Our Baja town has been hammered repeatedly by the escalating tempo of flooding from tropical storms. 3 were devastating.

Hurricane John in 2006
Tropical Storm Julio in 2008
Hurricane Jimena in 2009

(Oddly, the three worst floods all started with the letter 'J' — John, Julio and Jimena.)

“Every user of the river down here understands that a healthy river is absolutely vital for a healthy economy and a healthy tourism industry.”

Here’s a look back on the last of the worst…

2009 - HURRICANE JIMENA

Although a drop in wind speed reduced it to a Category 1 as it made landfall in Baja (media interest also fizzled as a result), it arrived with massive rainfall. Out of the 3,200 inhabitants, nearly half suffered property damage, and many lost everything they owned.

The Mulegé area receives rain from summertime storms in contrast to the Vizcaíno Desert, which is in a meteorological shadow. Backed by a broad range of mountains, the Sierra de la Giganta, rain falls into 16 watersheds that ultimately converge into the Mulegé River. When a hurricane hits, imagine opening 16 faucets at full capacity into a small sink.

Memories of past floods were forgotten.

Before 1982, there had been two floods on record, the floods of 1914 and 1955. Then since 2006, we had three floods — almost one every year. Many residents are tired of rebuilding. Some gave up after two rebuilds and left. The greatest damage occurred in the narrowest part of the valley, which is spanned by the highway bridge. The water level came as high as the bridge, which hard to fathom for most. Floodwaters completely engulfed houses and knocked down hundreds of palm trees. For months after, many houses still lay abandoned, in complete disrepair.

Why the frequency of floods now after so many quiet years? Some think it's global warming, others shrugg and say, "It's happened before."

How can we deal with the prospect of more floods in a warmer world? In Mulegé, the government is currently relocating many households & community buildings to higher ground. Seems like a logical step, but some residents wonder if that is a realistic solution. Comments are like this, "If we currently live by the river, do we have to abandon our homes? Plus, that's where the tourists want to go, that's where business is."

The group wants a long-term solution for the community; they propose flood control measures such as check dams to slow the deluge of water in the tributaries leading into the Mulegé river. The town petitioned the federal government. Flood diversion construction is underway now in the mountains.

Usually a very peaceful place…these photos are of the river and palm forest valley west of the highway bridge…inland towards the mountains.

The river valley looked like this in 1974.

Yours truly overlooking the river valley 40 years ago. My lab, Gypsy, used to love racing down the river far below and retrieve the decoy I’d chucked down there. Good times.

Between floods, the river was a great place to picnic or take a lazy kayak paddle.

..looking to the east from the Mission…white bldg. on left is the old penitentiary. Wedding, anyone?

MUCH LATER, after some channelization and access roads had been done.
From the bridge looking towards the sea…around 2007.

…and then Looking back at the bridge.

A couple enjoying an outing.

The following are post-flood photos of Jimena.
The Mulege lighthouse (faro) scene.

The estuary and Mulege lighthouse just after the flood….note the lighthouse is cut off from town.

This is on the river’s south side..from the Orchard area and shows some of the destruction from Jimena.

Jorge’s Park…sadly, like so many others, it was devastated by Hurricane Jimena.

The road to the Mission and showing just a few of the thousands of downed date palms.

South River road entry from Highway 1 showing the bridge.

In the photo below, the top two photos show the bridge..before and then immediately after the flood. Just imagine this…the water crested at about 4 feet over the top of that bridge!
In the lower half of the photo collage, local businessmen Manuel Cuesta and Saul Davis point to high water marks in their respective stores in downtown Mulege, an area that is normally considered safe.

Several RVs were either tucked into treetops or carried to sea…some washed ashore miles away…or merely sank to the bottom of the Cortez.

Unfortunately so many folks lost their homes along the river...completely destroyed. This collage shows the mayhem on the south side of the river.

One very small benefit from all the destruction. Storm debris on Playa Santispac made for some good firewood for beach fires.

October, 2008. Although listed as one of the most expensive storms ever to hit the peninsula, Hurricane Norbert was a fizzle in the Mulege area compared to Jimena. During ‘Norberto’, our lunch on the patio was in no danger of being blown away.

And that's the river of Mulege.

Let’s all hope that the new flood diversion project under construction in the mountains will mean the end of any more floods in Mulege. I'm done...enough is enough.

[Edited on 4-17-2014 by Pompano]

blackwolfmt
Senior Nomad

Mood: dreamin of Riden out a hurricane in Baja

[*] posted on 4-16-2014 at 01:08 PM

WOW!! I had no idea 2009 was that destuctive crazy,,thanks for the pics Pompano
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-19-2014 at 10:48 AM
Welcome to Saul's Tienda, Mulege

One of my favorite stores in Mulege.

For many years Saul Davis and family has been supplying groceries to the people of Mulege. (been shopping there since 1974)

I guess the great part about Saul's is the variety of stateside staples he can get for you from his border suppliers. If you want a special item, he'll most llkely get it for you on his next delivery truck. The trucks run weekly from Mulege to the border cites and are large enough to haul most anything you need.

I once mentioned a California king bed mattress...Saul surprised me and it was delivered the next week. Other values from the North...French vanilla coffee creamer, good scotch, Grey Goose vodka, real sourdough bread, good yeast & flours, better butter, jelly beans, chocolate licorice, prime ribeyes, and a hundred other items we always miss after a few months. The kind of things that are a real treat when they finally arrive.

A few other stores are following Saul's example, but the economy has really tanked at the moment, so his tienda is still about the best place to explore for those items expats miss the most.

STREET VIEW OF SAUL’S MARKET

SAUL AND RAY

Anybody remember Ray & Slyvia? Oldtime Cal. surfer dude. Used to live at Villas de Mulege in the Bay. Did lots of woodwork. :rolleyes:

THIS ‘AD WINDOW’ is one of the most viewed adboards in Mulege. If you’ve got something to sell or trade, this is the place.

ICE CREAM …a real treat for the trip home.

COOLER VIEW…check here when looked for fresh milk, sour cream, butter, coffee creamer, limburger & head cheese, rulepolse, lutefisk, etc.

BIMBO….shelf life of 200 years or more. It never goes away and can double as floor tile.

Lots of aisles to explore….squeeze some veggies and fruit, meet people, find your dog or cat.

Saul can direct you to whatever is needed.

Trade your home garden produce, or just pay for your groceries, and if needed exchange dollars for pesos at a reasonable rate.

[Edited on 6-10-2015 by Pompano]

Kgryfon
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 6-25-2014 at 09:41 AM

Great thread over the years. Thanks for taking the time to keep this going!
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 6-25-2014 at 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe
Quote:
Originally posted by David K
I well remember the 'Jayne Mansfield 18 hour bra' commercials, as a kid... ;)

Thanks Roger!

It was Jane Russell.

Bringing back your memories:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdbG1NFGiNM

Absolutely correct. Mansfield not only did an ad for a bra but she never even wore them.

Bob Durrell
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 6-25-2014 at 02:41 PM

Saw Jayne Mansfield at a movie opener in Sacramento, next to my workplace.
Looked like a 2 bit hooker. She got killed in that car wreck a few weeks later.

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-14-2015 at 04:22 PM
Mulege's Dark Side of Adjectives

This is as true as any fishing report. :rolleyes:

It was a dark, but not so stormy night long ago in the steamy dark underbelly of Mulege.

Being maliciously misdirected as to the whereabouts of my car when leaving my water-hole/cantina, I was making fair progress while furtively navigating a winding course down a very dark alley. Suddenly I heard a faint rasping sound..a chilly Shiiiing-Shiiiing ...of metal on metal...I ponder what that omnious sound could possibly be?

The eerie rasping-zinging gets louder and louder.....until I rounded a corner and came upon a scene utterly foreign to my civiliized senses.

An apparition regards me with a deadpan diabolic stare...making me think of demonic images buried way back in the darkest graveyards of my memory.

Could this be...? My mind races to find some understanding..what IS this? It seems my mind is somewhat discombobalated by a bad liter of rum, but finally the light bulb... it must be...

...THE BLADEMAN OF MULEGE...

A visceral apprehention lances through my soul ....and I know I will remember this macabre and hypnotic scene in my dreams...the stuff of nightmares.

And I did dream later that night...vividly...of Billy Bob Thorton playing the role of a deranged Karl in 'Sling Blade'. ;)

Remember, this is as factual as any fishing report. Thank you, Mulege. You never fail to fascinate.

wetto
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-17-2015 at 10:03 AM

keep them coming. I am learning so much about my newly adopted Baja home base. Thank you.

Lee S
Justbozo
Nomad

Mood: Got my little stone hut on the bay

[*] posted on 6-17-2015 at 04:32 PM

And from the December 2013 edition of
The Mulege Mirror

The Mansfield / Mulege connection...

Third marriage[edit]
Mansfield became involved with her third husband Matt Cimber (a.k.a. Matteo Ottaviano, né Thomas Vitale Ottaviano), an Italian-born film director, when he directed her in a well-reviewed stage production of Bus Stop in Yonkers, New York costarring Hargitay.[226][227] She married him on September 24, 1964, in Mulegé, Baja California Sur, Mexico.

This, of course comes from Wikipedia.

Makes you wonder, if she ran off here to get married, could there have been other trips to Mulege?
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-17-2015 at 06:40 PM
Picnic At Domingo Beach

We had killed a fine yellowtail, and just that one fish will be great eating for us and many friends. We are satisfied to call it a day on angling and head for a great beach just inside the entrance to Bahia de Concepcion. Time for some beachcombing and a picnic on a warm sandy beach...wanna join us?

PLAYA DOMINGO

Rounding the lighttower point at BOC's entrance we see our beach ahead...

..as you pass by this old fish camp that is used periodically by our local pangeros. Lots of gillnet laying around.

Co-pilot and I carry shore gear to this lovely secluded beach...

We have a wonderful lunch of chicken, spinach salad, and Macadonia fruit for desert..yummm.

Yawn...sleepy times this time of day...tick-tock, tick-tock, tick-tock

This is a superb beachcombing beach..full of seashells...
.... and objects d'art. ;) Co-pilot has her mesh bag and goes collecting for her next project.

I do some needed boat duties and also set up a photo op with our yellowtail....and then take a much needed nap..the warm sand is so inviting...perhaps a little siesta..

...tick-tock...tick-tock..

...noticing Co-pilot way, way down the beach....hmm...pretty far away..oh well, not to worry so much, she's okay...it's fine.

...tick-tock...tick-tock...

I was kept busy for quite some time..and looked up to see how Co-pilot was doing with her beachcombing. Hmmm...not in sight. Nothing except those birds on the beach. Now where did she go...??

Suddenly I had sinking feeling in the pit of my stomach....! GOOD GOD!.. you don't suppose she fell, hit her head on a conch shell..and was now being eaten alive by all those damn BUZZARDS AND GHASTLY GULLS!!

I race down the beach..yelling and waving my arms towards the mess of scavengers...pant, pant, pant...huff, huff, huff...thud, thud, thud....yelling my lungs out!!

Now birds are coming in from all directions...cawing and screeching..the damn feathered beasts!

I am almost there..but fear I am way too late....the soft sand is slowing me down....I am sinking....can barely move my feet....poor, poor Co-pilot. You were such a good fisherman, too.

Then I heard her pleasing laugh. "Whatever are you doing, tesoro? Wake up! Qual è il problema? Sei impazzito?"

Well...it just goes to show that an overactive imagination, fueled with chicken & cold chablis, then a beach nap.. will generate a really wild dream....sigh.

We packed up and headed home into the Bay. Maybe the next trip will be more exciting. (I'll bring some merlot!)

[Edited on 6-18-2015 by Pompano]

Justbozo
Nomad

Mood: Got my little stone hut on the bay

[*] posted on 6-17-2015 at 07:31 PM

Even being a relative newcomer , I too have had the problem of that beach drawing the life from me for an afternoon!
4Cata
Nomad

Mood: Siempre alegre!

[*] posted on 6-18-2015 at 02:13 AM

Though I've only been to Mulege once, back in the late 80's. I fondly remember La Hacienda and El Candil and a wonderful, laid back week. The rest of this has been a delightful trip down memory lane and I must return. Possibly in an rv, though you've warned that the narrow streets would be difficult and I'd miss the friendly neighborhood. Won't be towing but might bring a scooter. Maybe Maribel's rv park, if it's still operating. I think you mentioned that there is a taxi now? I remember the first time I found a Mulege website and thought, dang, they'll discover it now. Guess they have--who'd have thunk a Chili Cookoff in Mulege...

Agaveros, silk in a bottle, a beautiful bottle!
Robertofox
Junior Nomad

Mood: One more for the ditch !

[*] posted on 6-18-2015 at 08:11 AM

Pompano. I always enjoy your stories. Keep em' coming. I haven't been on that beach in years. That's over on the point, east of Mulege right?

Happy Trails....
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-18-2015 at 09:30 AM

Quote: Originally posted by 4Cata  
Though I've only been to Mulege once, back in the late 80's. I fondly remember La Hacienda and El Candil and a wonderful, laid back week. The rest of this has been a delightful trip down memory lane and I must return. Possibly in an rv, though you've warned that the narrow streets would be difficult and I'd miss the friendly neighborhood. Won't be towing but might bring a scooter. Maybe Maribel's rv park, if it's still operating. I think you mentioned that there is a taxi now? I remember the first time I found a Mulege website and thought, dang, they'll discover it now. Guess they have--who'd have thunk a Chili Cookoff in Mulege...

Yes, Mulege has definetely been discovered, 4Cata. You'll have to visit again soon. There are Chili Cookoffs, Pig Races, Off-Road Races, and a host of other events.

There have been many chili contests...since the first Mulege one at the Serinadad around 1990.

Before that we were chili fans down in the Bay, too, and any excuse for a party was welcome, so I had a Coyote Bay chili cookoff in 1989, which was a lot of fun.... not as well organized..but what can you expect from beach dwellers?

Casa Coyote Chili Cookoff - 1989

More recently, Mulege Chili Cookoff in the plaza in 2011.

Taxis?

Not a problem. You will find many, especially at the square.

Meet mi amigo, Ignacio, tasi driver (taxi No. 11, I think) Catch him at the plaza taxi parking zone. Seen in this photo to the left..adjacent to the city plaza.

A very reliable driver and has a great sense of humor, too. He got me home safe and sound a couple times.

Driving the motorhome around Mulege is possible, just not advised on a regular basis. I have driven my 36' motorhome downtown and around the city, but I am well aware of the one-way streets, what corners to take, and where to park, etc. Extreme caution is advised. My old 27' Minnie Winnie was far easier to navigate. I would advise parking near the town entrance mouument and taking a walking tour ( or your scooter) to see the town before driving further.

There are many more RV parks these days..and you might check them all out with your scooter before making your decision. Just ask around or get yourself a current Mulege business map.

Those old memories. The Hacienda Hotel and Cantina is a thing of legend in Mulege. Some raucous celebrations...some stately weddings...some somber celebrations of the departed (the un-sober)...it all happened here sooner or later. Here are a few memories of that place. I'll take a little walk down Memory Lane here.....

The flowering tree makes welcome shade in the hot months.

I love that the old water well with the dump buckets was left. This is from the times long ago when cattle were brought here for auction from miles around.

A truly gifted flamenco guitarist playing in the Hacienda courtyard. He was undergoing a series of throat cancer treatments in TJ at the time and would return to Mulege for his R & R. Such a great attitude of life he expressed, even though he knew the future was dire. He blessed us all with a performance in Coyote at mi casa. Maestro, you gave us some great moments with your talent and charisma.

Here's another great Hacienda regular back in the day...Adolfo. Sadly, he also has been gone from the scene for a few years.

Many years later, Adolfo sitting at the old 'Donna Moes' Pizza Shop.

Jean-Pierre(white hat) and neice, Chantelle (front left) leased and ran the Hacienda in the early 90's and made the place rock! Here they join a crew for a fiesta at mi Coyote casa. Jean-Pierre was priceless when it came to entertainment and fine food.

Jean-Pierre was known locally as 'Pica de Oro' for a good reason. Here giving yet another senorita riding lessons along the river in Mulege.

And Pierre received lots of help from our good amigo, Mateo. A wealthy Welshman homebuilder, sailor.... and was quite an artist. Among many other creations, he carved the Hacienda's sign and many other store signs in town, including the Candil cafe and Sauls. He helped other café owners to get their business's going and prosperous.

Mateo-Matt Matthews. In additon to all these carvings below and more, Mateo was the man responsible for completely restoring the Candil Restaurant to what it is today. He spent about $75,000 USD of his own on the redo with the original owners...the Martinez family, I believe. I asked him why restore this old bar with such lavishness...and he said.."I've always wanted to walk into a nice place and have a free beer." He used his artistic ability to think out and make all the creations there today. Inlaid bartops, paintings, wall decor, furniture, new bar and kitchen equipment, café supplies, etc. He was quite a philantropist and helped so many folks in Mulege.

He operated the cantina himself until making a deal with the next operator, Pierce, later on. Among many other expert dishes, I fondly remember his Black Cuban Beans with a killer hamburger.

Matt was at the Bay of Pigs fiasco in Cuba and had quite a few stories to tell. He and wife, Cher, were also neighbors at Coyote Bay and an expert sailors on his sailboat, 'Gale', teaching a lot of us 'Sunday Sailors' how to hold regattas and sail 'wing on wing', etc. Damn...Both Mateo and Cher have joined the list of MIA's that is growing so fast these days. Oh well, they were lively folks and truly lived their lives. Indeed, Mateo lived the life he wanted until that final summer day when he fell overboard from a heart attack and drifted into my seawall. Say hello to some Irish for me, Mateo...sorry I wasn't there to help you up.

Some other artworks of Mateo's around Mulege..

Hacienda Hotel sign

Matt carved this walking stick for Co-ilot, which remains a prized and well-used item today.

Saul's market sign and portrait

Killer Caine was also a regular and we had some pretty good times together.

He was quite a dresser... even loaned me his parasol. :rolleyes:

..and recorded many videos of our times - mostly trials and errors in date-making.

Occasionally 'Fingers', would try his luck at the bar, but usually was 86'ed, because nobody could be counted on to give him CPR and mouth-to-mouth.

The 2nd cantina within the Hacienda..facing the town square. It went thru a couple of changes of managers back then...Alfonso, Aaron, Jean-Pierre, Pierce & Co., and so on...

Here's the time when 'Pierce & Val'. leased the place and called it "The Pelicano."

After that, 'Jean-Pierre' leased it and called it "Casablanca". During Jean-Pierre's time is when the Hacienda really rocked. It was the To Go place in Mulege at the time. I recall I loaned him a framed photo of the entire Casablance film crew and their autographs to hang on his cantina wall. It was a gift from a Hollywood director who lived at Posada. Hmm..has anybody seen that photo since?

Some entertainment was always possible.

Renya, a local guitarist/SINGER! would wander in and play for you....and as loud as you could possibly want...whew.

Sitting at the bar and just watching someone washing glasses was worthwhile.

Pacifico was the most served brew.

With a rum&coke the most served c-cktail.

Some more great times were watching the glass-washing.

You didn't need a lot of things to keep you happy...could just be watching the glass-washing. :rolleyes:

[Edited on 6-18-2015 by Pompano]

[Edited on 6-19-2015 by Pompano]

Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-18-2015 at 10:08 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Robertofox  
Pompano. I always enjoy your stories. Keep em' coming. I haven't been on that beach in years. That's over on the point, east of Mulege right?

Sorry I missed your question, Roberto. You are exactly right..Domingo Beach is next to the old fish camp at the entrance to Conception Bay. Always a great place to come ashore and relax. Like Shell Beach at Pta. Chivato, it's also good for beachcombing.

Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-28-2015 at 02:18 PM

(moved here from an irrevelant political thread. )

The piñata party.

Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-12-2015 at 11:15 AM

Mulege estuary

El Patron - La Almeja

Probably the best café ocean view in Mulege..where you can dig your toes into the sand...or cast for a dorado. An old times beach café that sends you back a few decades.

'El Patron' right on the water...and sometimes IN it. :rolleyes:

We have always enjoyed a great dinner there. Baked clams with all the fixings were a real treat...La Almeja time.

Pages:  1  ..  12    14  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.