Denise gave me a
-nose trim

was it? ;D

Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 12-20-2008 at 02:34 PM

Dave...so okay, I could use an editor.:tumble:

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 12-20-2008 at 04:24 PM

sounds like a deal then to me brother!

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-8-2009 at 08:33 PM
SUNDAY, MARCH 8, 2009 - Today in Mulege - 2009 Chili Cook-Off

Mulege Chili Cook-off

It happened today in Mulege. Sorry if you missed it, because it is always a fun affair. This was first organized by locals and gringos over 20 years ago, and now held for the last few years in the central square and sponsored by the Rotary Club, it attracts crowds of Baja folks..locals and visitors from neighboring towns alike.

The money raised goes to support some great charities for the area. Prizes are awarded for the many various chili recipes, salsas, best costumes, and best decorated chili stands. Lots of awards and prizes are donated by local businesses. Raffle tickets along with chili tickets are sold on the spot.

I got there a little late, but bought a bunch of tickets and sampled about a dozen different chili concoctions. Some of which I wanted seconds on, which is surprising for me as I am a purist and eat TRUE CHILI..which means NO BEANS! That aside, the chili recipes were painstakingly prepared and brought to the village square. One ticket = one cup of chili to sample...or salsa if you go that route.

It was a very fun event and all had a rowsing good time! It's part of the reason I love Mulege so much and for so long. It's got terrific people who are so community-minded. The particiapants are almost equaled divided between local citizens and foreigners. Most of the area restaurants had stands. The cook-off is organized and supported by the local Rotary Club.

Now here's a photo show of today's Chili Cook-off 2009.

Parking was no problem with the new parking areas under the bridge. Traffic directors were on duty to help you find a place. Just a short walk to the central square.

First thing you do is find the ticket desk next to the gazebo. This a Mulege Rotary sponsored event for charity.

I have always loved spending tranquil times eating one of Dimas' shrimp tacos on the benches under the shade trees, sampling the chili... and enjoying the square's other benefits...

There were prizes for the best costumes and decorated chili stands.

And other prizes for charm, exuberance, and best smelling chili servers.
These Nomads won a couple of events. Nice folks, these.

And Roz's chili was reputed to be VERY good. Sadly, it was all gone by the time I got there. But..I did score some purple.

Prizes for the best salsa.

Note: The photo op where you put your head into the cut-out was also very popular. (And this to lady "A" .. I tried to email your requested pic of you and 2 friends in that cut-out, but it came back as bad address...please advise via email and I will send it to you.)

Here's Olivia and Briana of Playa Buenaventura at the cutout:

All in all, a very fun event. Try to make it next year, you won't regret it! It's another great way to meet your Mexican neighbors and support some worthy charitable projects.

[Edited on 12-8-2013 by Pompano]

Terry28
Senior Nomad

Mood: Thirsty

[*] posted on 3-9-2009 at 10:23 AM

It looks like every gringo for miles around was there...good times..

Mexico!! Where two can live as cheaply as one.....but it costs twice as much.....
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-9-2009 at 10:27 AM

You bet, Terry28....good times for sure. And I noticed some of the Buenaventura residents were present. Hi to Olivia.

rpleger
Super Nomad

Mood: Was good.

[*] posted on 3-9-2009 at 01:03 PM

Sorry I missed it, but I had to watch NASCAR...

Richard on the Hill

*ABROAD*, adj. At war with savages and idiots. To be a Frenchman abroad is to
be miserable; to be an American abroad is to make others miserable.
-- Ambrose Bierce, _The Enlarged Devil\'s Dictionary_
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-1-2009 at 06:16 AM
YOU MAY NEED A CAR WASH AND SOME FOOD.

Are you tired of kids doodling dust art on your dirty rear window?

Do you recognize your neighbor's writing? .. 'Wash Me!' .. 'Lavar!' written backwards on your windshield?

Does the interior smell like a wild west saloon?
Can you hear glass bottles clicking when you turn a corner?
Is there a resident pack rat?

Do you know the actual color of your pickup?

Is your stomach growling?

Well...You may need a car wash and some food.

When in Mulege try this place. It's a family affair. On highway, north end of Mulege. Can't miss it.

Mario Yee and wife run the restaurant part. Thier barbequed pollo is deelicious..and the tacos..and the tortas..and the

Fernando Yee (right) son of Mario, runs the car wash part along with his worker, Cesar.

"Hey, Rogelio..what's the name of your rat?"

Here Cesar makes that 350,000 mile Dodge look new again.

Customers get to sit in the cool shade and enjoy thier meals while the rig is being washed.

"You were right, Rogelio..it's white."

With a good tip, it's a dang fine thang! ;D

Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-19-2009 at 12:30 PM
HURRICANE NORBERTO...The Storm

MULEGE'S VARIABLE WEATHER

NOV 2008 - HURRICANE NORBERTO...The Storm

Storms, hurricanes, floods, washouts...Mother Nature's fury!

..and sometimes a surprise ending!

Dateline: November 10, 2008 The Road to Mulege

It was a dark and stormy night. Well.. almost..it was a dark and stormy day, though.

I'm on the Baja Highway, driving a motorhome through ever-blackening skies, enroute to my home in Coyote Bay.

Around El Rosario my XM sat radio fades out due to the presence of outer space aliens that are known to frequent that area...and it starts to rain ...coming down in sheets.

Eerily, there was hardy any other traffic...very omninous and that awareness sent a nice shiver through my imagination while peering into the pounding rain. I had heard that Hurricane Norberto was on it's way and due to strike Baja Sur about...now...shiver, shiver.

I pull over during a particularily hard deluge..seeking safety amongst the rocks near Catavina. Then a chill goes up my spine as I squint out through my pelted windows and spot the aliens amongst the cactus ..There! Can you see them!! They've been stalking me..again.

I wisely decided to take my chances on The Road again, rather than submit to any more abductions by the aliens..once was enough back in the 60's. Though my memory of that time is oddly vague, I do remember being hungry a lot.

Now the vados and depressions were fast filling with fast flood water really fast. Seeing this, I remember the thought, "This could mean Fast Flash Floods!" flashing through my mind. The dreaded FFF!

Thank God I have packed flash flood survival gear. Note: next trip pack kayak on TOP of vehicle.

I pass up this chance at a motel. Hey, I'm in a motorhome, for criss-sakes!

Back into the fray and keep my eyes peeled for traffic in this low visibility. My fine-tuned hunter's senses are sharp and alert..I'll be safe.

I saw no other traffic at all that day..luckily, the road was deserted except for me. I relaxed and drove on.

Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-19-2009 at 01:23 PM

Roger, I just love your photography! I had not seen the chili cook-off images until now - that seems like a fun time for sure.

The storm pictures were moving and actually put a tear in my eye.

Bob H
eetdrt88
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-19-2009 at 01:32 PM

killer storm pics,my buddy and i drove thru John and had some of the most memorable baja moments of all time,we drove thru a few sections of road where it was a real river up to the windows deep,almost the entire road into Abreojos was under water,talk about an adrenalin rush:o
BajaGringo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Let's have a BBQ!

[*] posted on 4-19-2009 at 01:49 PM

More great photos Roger and always so appreciated. As soon we get the new place completed and set up we have promised ourselves a couple of weeks off down on the southern side of the peninsula. Your neck of the woods is definitely on the list and your photo-stories really add a lot of life to the region we look forward to discovering for ourselves.

Kudos my friend...

Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-19-2009 at 05:37 PM
Nov 2008 - Hurricane Norberto continues....

Now it's November 10th and I'm driving across the Mulege bridge. The rio looks normal at this point..no sign of any flooding from impending Hurriicane Norberto. The storm's epicenture is due to strike this part of Baja within 24 hours. I hurry on to the house to prepare for the worst.

We arrive at the house late that night and turn in. The wind is up a little and the skies are black...no stars out tonight.

We wake up to a gray sunrise...and what really looks like the eye of the hurricane out there! .

Of course, its' not, because the full force of Norberto has not yet struck...still a ways out there. As the day commences the clouds get darker, with more density and an ominous look.

The mountains behind the house are laden with low clouds and we start getting some rain and some wind..we are bracing ourselves and hope the old, but trusty, hurricane clips keep the roof on one more time.... We mix a quick c-cktail just in case we don't have time later.

Then Norberto is upon us and strikes will full force....with a resounding...
... Poof!
nothing..no big wind, no big rain, nada here in Coyote Bay.

HURRICANE NORBERTO...The Storm That Wasn't!!

It was a bit of a letdown to our hurricane watch, although a pleasant one. Hurricane Norberto was pretty much a dud for this locale. Much ado about nothing in the Conception Bay area, which was okay with us. We'd experienced the destruction of Hurricane Juan. :no:

Well, we got a nice little splattering of rain and had a fun Hurricane party out on the patio, nevertheless. :yes:

...and that's Mulege Weather for you. Go figure! :spingrin:

Ken Bondy
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Mellow

[*] posted on 4-19-2009 at 05:48 PM

Roger did you ever know Denise $$$ (can't remember last name)? She was an American expat who, with her Mexican husband, owned Tiffany's Pizza in Loreto. Tiffany was her daughter's name. We did several Mag Bay whale trips with her, but I have lost touch with her over the years. Just wondering if she's still in Loreto.

carpe diem!
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-19-2009 at 05:59 PM

Ken, sorry but my memory banks are only so good. I do recall a Denise but for some reason I can't place her in a pizza parlor..which I'm sure I would have paid attention to..being an addict to pepperoni thin crusts. I 'think' the Denise I knew was a stewardess..but I could be wrong. :rolleyes:

Ken Bondy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-19-2009 at 06:58 PM

Roger this was Denise 18 years ago:

And this was the original Tiffany's Pizza(s) in Loreto, also about 18 years ago:

carpe diem!
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-19-2009 at 08:10 PM

Ken...sorry, but the Denise I remember was blonde. How was that pizza? Sorry to say, I never did get down to Loreto so much back in those days...too busy up here and at Pta. Chivato.

Oddly enough, your friend Denise looked similar to Mulege's Donno Moe's Pizza operator.

Donna and husband Sam.

[Edited on 4-20-2009 by Pompano]

PEOPLE - SAM AND DONNA MOE.jpg - 50kB

Ken Bondy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-20-2009 at 10:36 AM

Thanks Roger. Tiffany's pizza was damn good!! Plus they delivered!! That was really unique for Loreto at that time. Your pictures, for some reason, made me think of her, her daughter and her husband (they also owned a gift shop right across from the mission). Just curious if they were still in Loreto or if anyone remembered them.

carpe diem!
Sharksbaja
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-20-2009 at 10:45 AM

Really enjoyed this thread Roger. Particularly the stormy pictures that caused us so much pain. They capture the seriousness of Baja storms.

DON\'T SQUINT! Give yer eyes a break!
Try holding down [control] key and toggle the [+ and -] keys

Viva Mulege!

Nomads\' Sunsets
tripledigitken
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-20-2009 at 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Bondy
Roger this was Denise 18 years ago:

And this was the original Tiffany's Pizza(s) in Loreto, also about 18 years ago:

Looks alot like "Rosanne, Rosanne, Rosanna/Danna".
 Pages:  1  2    4    6  ..  15

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.