ELINVESTIG8R
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-3-2009 at 06:24 AM
AS FRANCISCO VILLA WOULD SAY!

Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 2-3-2009 at 07:11 AM

San Lucas Cove is just south of Santa Rosalia, and a wonderful and beautiful place.

You break the law, you eventually will suffer the consequences---------that is the bottom line, as it should be in any "society".

Barry
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 2-3-2009 at 07:40 AM

This sort of thing happens everywhere in baja...or Happened everywhere before but the military crackdown has been stepped up. Nearly everyone in every fish camp or village has stories of this activity...superpangas coming ashore sometimes broke down, needing gas or water or a new engine etc. I remember seeing a huge brand new pick up whiz by us on a remote beach road with one of those HUGE engines in the back of the pick up...kinda obvious....

I'm surprised they chose san lucas cove as it is so populated and there is a base next door....duh...glad no one got hurt but it's another example that it could happen anywhere so duck when you hear shots fired.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-3-2009 at 07:52 AM

Until such time as I am granted an interview with the commandante of the military base, I am gluing together bits and pieces of information and admit freely that the accuracy of any of these statements may be secondhand and questionable. It seems, that one or two of the pangas came ashore to get something to eat around Punta Chivato at which time they came under the observation of the military. I think the military boat was in pursuit when they decided that they would ground the boat in San Lucas Cove. At least, there were pursuit shots fired when they hit the ground running at the north end of the trailer park which would suggest they were actively being pursued. So yes, stupid is as stupid does since there is a military base on the south end of the cove and there was no way out of the cove once you entered.
We had 4 or 5 military trucks screaming though San Bruno which is just south of San Lucas Cove and they were armed and ready, so they must have been looking at any area where the boat might land.

mulegemichael
Super Nomad

Mood: up on step

[*] posted on 2-3-2009 at 08:19 AM

i agree with shari, that this sort of thing happens everywhere in baja...a few years ago i was with my family over christmas at hotel punta colorada on the east cape....was jogging down the beach just south of the hotel when i came upon a huge bale of pot that had washed up that morning, either having been dumped out of a panga or fell overboard...over the next week or so, lots of bricks of it all along the beach...from what i understand it happens every year there around christmas time...whatta merry merry christmas!

dyslexia is never having to say you\'re yrros.
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-3-2009 at 09:21 AM

A lot of reports over the years of people coming across bails and big pangas with a lot of cargo. Once I came across maybe 15 bails on the far side of a sand dune. Left Fast! Helos flying the coast line here for the past 4 days and again this morning. Military thick yesterday here too. 3 weeks ago I found a new trail and drove it to see where it went. About a mile in was a huge clearing with two very clean out houses and the start of a nice stick frame building. Also a drag for smoothing a road but not used on the trail I took in. I didn't investigate the area too much. It had a really "Stay Away" feel about it.
BajaGringo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Let's have a BBQ!

[*] posted on 2-3-2009 at 07:27 PM

Probably a very smart move. I do think there are ways to make anonymous reports now, right?

:?::?::?:

Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-3-2009 at 07:45 PM

The feds are thick in this area. I was watching a single engine plane land this afternoon because not 30 seconds behind him a King Air had it's wheels down on the same flight path as the little guy. No way he was going to land! Bet me! Full reverse and stopped almost on the little planes nose! Then there was a second King air circled with his wheels down. Sure.... there are two planes on the runway and the second plane wants down bad. Neither of planes on the runway are moving. I can see the tail of the small guy and the top half of the big guy and still the second King Air circles, wheels up and down on the landing pattern. This goes on for more than a half hour and the second big guy lands over the top of the other two. HOLY mackerel! Some one reports on the radio that there are men out of the big planes with guns and I see a military truck driving towards them. Something BIG is going on! Turns out it's a local guy returning home here. I haven't heard the story yet but I'm sure by morning It'll be a good. Oh, during about 10 minutes of that a little marine hilo was buzzing over head and there is a navy boat anchored just south of us. Not boring today.
BajaGringo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Let's have a BBQ!

[*] posted on 2-3-2009 at 08:03 PM

Pop some more popcorn and pull up a chair. Wear your Kevlar of course...

Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-3-2009 at 08:50 PM

Well, I talked to one of the army guys today and the story is pretty interesting. Seems that two pangas left the mainland loaded with gasoline and marijauna, so they ended up camping on San Marcos Island. The next morning they woke up and decided they were hungry so they headed to Punta Chivato to find something to eat. While there, they came under the attention of the military (who take special interest in 28 foot pangas with 250hp Yamahas) and a call went out to apprehend the two pangas. Between Punta Chivato and the south end of San Marcos, they are overtaken by the military boat who started shooting. They did apprehend one boat with one of the drug runners shot and the other wounded. The other boat is hauling full speed and heads into San Lucas Cove with the military boat in hot pursuit. When they started hitting rocks and sand they just opened the throttle and they were throwing rocks and sand 20 feet in the air. They ran aground at a really high speed and left the boat shooting and the military was right behind them shooting up a storm. They ran through the trailer park in San Lucas Cove and headed up into the woods where one of the guys was caught next to the squid plant. During a house to house search in the village of San Lucas, they found the other guy. Since they did not know the area, they ended up coming into a cove which is the home of the local military base. So, as usual with a lot of crooks, they get the intelligence award for the year.
We are now seeing at least twice as many military trucks, fully armed, as we have ever seen before in the area and most of the local people are really happy that they guys got caught. And they think it is really funny that they ran aground in the cove at the military base.

Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-4-2009 at 05:36 AM

Pescador, Rumors.... you gotta love them! Two people that work here and live in San Bruno said almost the same thing happened there. Two boats and a shoot out there too. I told them about you and your report about San Lucas but they insisted it all happened in San Bruno. :?: On a good side to all this ALL the shrimp boats have left the area with the navy anchored here.
ELINVESTIG8R
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-4-2009 at 06:55 AM

IT'S TIME TO TAKE THE GLOVES OFF

Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-4-2009 at 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Russ
Pescador, Rumors.... you gotta love them! Two people that work here and live in San Bruno said almost the same thing happened there. Two boats and a shoot out there too. I told them about you and your report about San Lucas but they insisted it all happened in San Bruno. :?: On a good side to all this ALL the shrimp boats have left the area with the navy anchored here.

The shoot out on the boat did happen just out of San Bruno, but the second shoot out was in the cove. Two boats, two shootouts. I talked to a gal from San Lucas today and she and she said it was really funny watching the soliers trying to load their rifles, they would hit the wrong button and drop the magazines on the ground, pump through full loads, etc. Guess the adrenelin was running in large amounts.

Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-4-2009 at 07:46 PM

Pescador I'd love "film at eleven"
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-5-2009 at 12:43 AM

What happened to the pot?
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-5-2009 at 05:31 AM

San Lucas military base was very happy place last night. But the local store owners are even happier. All the "munchies" in the town were sold out.
shari
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-5-2009 at 08:04 AM

Ahhh Russ....now THAT is funny...thanks for the morning giggle. This has been the most interesting thread all week...a happy ending with no mortalities and the newbie marines got to practise loading their toys.

Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-5-2009 at 12:58 PM

Sorry Shari, there were two mortalities. The panga who lost the shootout by San Bruno had two reported mortalities.
One of the residents of San Lucas Cove got to take pictures in one of the pangas and they were holding one of the bales for photo shoots, but they did make them put it back.

shari
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-5-2009 at 04:13 PM

oh my, I AM sorry for that...gosh...my condolences to the families. Do you know if they aprehended all the bad guys in the end? wow, quite the excitement you all had the last couple days I imagine...and how scary for the people who's houses the guys were hiding in eh.

Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-5-2009 at 10:05 PM

Evidently they apprehended (dead or alive) all of the drug runners, for a total of 4. You are right, it is too bad that somebody was stupid enough to take on this job in the first place, to put themselves at that much risk for a small amount of money that carries that much risk. At this point, everyone is pretty vague about where they came from so we are hoping for a good newspaper account this week.

Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.