BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  7    9
Author: Subject: PETROGLYPHS & PICTOGRAPHS you can drive to, or close (in Baja Norte)!
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-14-2013 at 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe
I'm proposing that we both remove our threads referring to this site with a pledge that neither of us will refer to it again.

Is that acceptable?

So, I guess the answer is no.

You defended you're right to promote the site by stating I had done it as well. But now your actions show that it was just empty talk. I suspected as much.

None of your reasons hold water. This is just the latest one.

Please reread your last response David. I has virtually nothing to do with the quote you used. I'm suggesting we remove our posts and your response is that you have just as much right to write as I do. WTF?

I may not agree with Barry but at least he makes sense.

[Edited on 1-15-2013 by Skipjack Joe]
redhilltown
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-15-2013 at 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.
Quote:
Originally posted by salttram

There are much lesser sites in the Sierra San Francisco that are behind locked gates. If this site were in the US or Europe, it would be protected even more.

There are litterally thousands of Picto and Petro sites in the state of Utah alone with absolutely no "protection" other than long existing laws against their desecration, even many within National Parks. This is also true of many other states in the "USA".

And I have been to many including the entire length of Grand Gulch...and it is protected and inaccessible...the great mural site in Baja being mentioned is stunningly easy to get to and as Salttram mentioned, illegal on your own to visit (well..technically let's just say). The whole point of keeping a fishing hole secret is that the masses will ruin it...you're not keeping them from fishing...you're not denying them fishing...you're just keeping a few cards out of the deck...I cannot believe historic and important archaeological sites are not as important as grouper or white sea bass.

Barry
redhilltown
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-15-2013 at 01:00 AM

Oooops...that last post looks like it was "Barry" ...sorry Barry!! I may (politely) disagree with you but I don't want to mis-quote you because of a technical (ie: brain fart) error...this is what I meant to post:

"And I have been to many including the entire length of Grand Gulch...and it is protected and inaccessible...the great mural site in Baja being mentioned is stunningly easy to get to and as Salttram mentioned, illegal on your own to visit (well..technically let's just say). The whole point of keeping a fishing hole secret is that the masses will ruin it...you're not keeping them from fishing...you're not denying them fishing...you're just keeping a few cards out of the deck... I cannot believe historic and important archaeological sites are not as important as grouper or white sea bass."
salttram
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-15-2013 at 01:34 AM

I, for one, will forgive David K his error in equating photographs of a thing with preservation of a thing . . . IF . . . he can tell where I can find another jaguarundi.

I've seen many Great Murals in Baja but only ONE jaguarundi. Additionally, if David K can arrange for it to hold still long enough for me to "preserve" it . . . well DAMN . . . I'll buy him the mariscos dinner special at the Malarrimo!

I'm serious.

[Edited on 1-15-2013 by salttram]
Baja Bucko
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-15-2013 at 09:56 AM

Salttram-can you please clarify-did you see a jagarundi in Baja? If so any general area? I have a remote camera that I need to put up (looking for certain mammals) and I have been unable to confirm whether this animal is in Baja now or in the past.

My other 4WD is a Baja Mule!

La Mula Mil Survivor 2013-2014!
1000 miles by mule from the tip to Tecate!
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 1-15-2013 at 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by redhilltown
Oooops...that last post looks like it was "Barry" ...sorry Barry!! I may (politely) disagree with you but I don't want to mis-quote you because of a technical (ie: brain fart) error...this is what I meant to post:

"And I have been to many including the entire length of Grand Gulch...and it is protected and inaccessible...the great mural site in Baja being mentioned is stunningly easy to get to and as Salttram mentioned, illegal on your own to visit (well..technically let's just say). The whole point of keeping a fishing hole secret is that the masses will ruin it...you're not keeping them from fishing...you're not denying them fishing...you're just keeping a few cards out of the deck... I cannot believe historic and important archaeological sites are not as important as grouper or white sea bass."

Not a problem, Redhilltown----I understand, and have made similar mistakes. I too have covered almost the entire length of Grand Gulch via horseback (we did not go down clear to the SJ River), and side canyons, for the sole purpose of evaluating "protection possibilities" for the stunningly important sites there. This was in the late '70's, and there was a new quasi-Ranger staff there at the time (with no LE delegation, tho, so almost helpless). At that time there was no physical protection, but it was an arduous journey of several days to cover the canyon and it's main tributaries, so in a sense that afforded considerable "protection". There was NO other protection afforded, and anybody could access the canyon, tho not legally----a permit was required, but no ability to enforce it, at that time.

Many of those sites in Grand Gulch are unique-------and not comparable to scattered picto and petro sites elsewhere. I am talking about the not so unique petro and picto sites in ALL of my comments about "no real way to protect them" comments, and the scientific significance of these random sites is questionable at best, which even the most strident "protection" Archaeologists will admit, or at least they did way back then. Perhaps things have changed since I retired.

Barry
salttram
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-16-2013 at 01:21 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Baja Bucko
Salttram-can you please clarify-did you see a jagarundi in Baja? If so any general area? I have a remote camera that I need to put up (looking for certain mammals) and I have been unable to confirm whether this animal is in Baja now or in the past.

Yes, we saw one for a few moments from our vehicle on the road connecting Arroyo El Sauz to Arroyo Cordornices. I think we surprised it as it was stalking some quail. I've heard of only one other recent account of a sighting somewhere in the Desierto el Vizcaino. I think this cat would be a particularly difficult subject to capture in a photo as they are known to be very shy and elusive.

I would like to plan a trip to the area dedicated to finding any sign of one, hopefully this year. Maybe I can find some rock art to preserve with my camera. Plus the scenery and camping around there is some of the best in Baja IMO.

I would like to know whether there is a stable population of them around there and if it has always been a part of their natural range. Who knows? You might find a jaguarundi somewhere out there burying a dead horse. Could happen.
salttram
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-19-2013 at 04:05 PM

Seriously though, despite my attempt at humor, the Baja jaguarundis do exist. If Baja Bucko or any other Nomads want to plan a trip to find one . . . I'm on board!
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-19-2013 at 04:18 PM
About the Jaguarundi

[Edited on 1-19-2013 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Pages:  1  ..  7    9

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.