Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: Mike's Mountain
Desert Rat
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-28-2009 at 10:21 PM

I am attempting to post my photos taken on Mike's Mountain.

Kevin at one of the three mine entrances on Mike's Mt. Up to this point, the trail is easy to follow and easy to hike. After leaving the mine area, the trail begins to make you work.

Desert Rat hiking down a knob hill and approaching what I call a knife-edge. The knife-edge section of the trail runs about forty feet and it gives you a nice view of deep, steep, drop offs on both sides of the trail. Bad place to trip and fall.

Kevin has just crossed the knife-edge and is heading up toward the summit. The summit is out of the picture to the left. Still got a ways to go!

Kevin taking a "hero" shot at the summit. A goup of Boy Scouts planted the flag on the summit a few days before we got there. The high winds have almost ripped the flag from the pole.

Find this tree and you will find the cave. There are only two trees on the entire mountain and both of them are next to the cave.

Desert Rat at entrance of cave. Happy to finally reach the cave and take a much needed rest.

D'Rat taking that much needed rest on an old, old mattress

The view from inside the cave looking out over the Sea of Cortez. Kevin is writing an entry in the log book that has been placed in a tin can.

Kevin sitting on an overhang near the cave.

Kevin standing on top of Mike's cave.

[Edited on 4-29-2009 by Desert Rat]
fixtrauma
Nomad

Mood: Monomaniac

[*] posted on 4-29-2009 at 12:30 AM

Thanks for going to the effort of getting these pictures posted. I enjoyed them.

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-29-2009 at 08:56 AM

Thank you Ron & Kevin!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

McNulty
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-29-2009 at 02:03 PM

Desert Rat- Thank you for sharing those!!!

How Long ago were those photos taken? I know David K asked this earlier in the thread but does anybody know if that cave is still stocked?

Their are 3 kinds of people in the world, those who can count and those who can\'t.
Wiles
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-29-2009 at 04:24 PM

Desert Rat & Kevin.

Thanks for sharing. I could almost feel the pain and fatigue creep back into my legs while scrolling through the pictures. Your description of the knife-edge is perfect. I remember pausing, taking a deep breath, and just doing it.

It can be incredibly quiet and silent up there and I believe that is one of the reasons Mike liked it so much. He was a very quiet fellow.

Another great climb is to hike to the top of Cedros Island into the fog and monterey pines. What a view. Not nearly as challenging as Mike's however.

fishbuck
Banned

[*] posted on 4-29-2009 at 05:05 PM

This is one hike that looks worth doing!

"A ship in harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for." J. A. Shedd.

A clever person solves a problem. A wise person avoids it. – Albert Einstein

"Life's a Beach... and then you Fly!" Fishbuck

Graham
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-2-2009 at 05:15 PM
Mike's Cave 1983

At Mike's invitation, I first climbed Mike's Mountain with my girlfriend in 1981. These pictures are from my second trip up there in June 1983 while "resting" during my round Baja hike.

Mike was a terrific character. Unassuming and thoughtful, always willing to share his trail and mountain home with visitors he liked.

He helped me in so many ways during my walk and gave me some great advice about making and carrying water and desert survival.

My book Into a Desert Place, in which he's mentioned several times, was first published in 1988 and a year or so later I made it down to LA Bay to give him a copy, and was saddened to learn that he'd recently passed away.

Thanks for the post. Brought back some very special memories.

cave south end.jpg - 48kB

Graham
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-2-2009 at 05:17 PM
Inside Cave

How it looked June 1983

GM bw Cave.jpg - 49kB

Graham
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-2-2009 at 05:19 PM
Mike's solar stills

He made much of his drinking water using these stills.

Mike stills.jpg - 50kB

Graham
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-2-2009 at 05:22 PM
Mountain Mike 1983

From inside his old VW bus -

Mike from VW.jpg - 48kB

Graham
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-2-2009 at 05:26 PM
Carrying water

Trying out one of Mike's ideas for carrying water.

Water Carry.jpg - 48kB

El Camote
Senior Nomad

Mood: y Blues

[*] posted on 5-2-2009 at 09:19 PM

Graham, good to see you posting. I just posted links to youtube footage this week from the 2003 Authors' booksigning video interviews. It's under "Peninsular Treasures" http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=38428

Sorry for the hijack, Ron. I'm enjoying the Mike's Mountain thread as well.

Knowledge is good. - Emil Faber
tunaeater
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-3-2009 at 12:31 AM

Guys this is good stuff!
I've been to BOLA many times and never even thought about the hiking part. Looks like I may have a new interest. I think I will try to get three generations on the summit before next year. Thanks for sharing and sparking the interest

Paul
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 5-3-2009 at 05:10 PM

Thank you Graham for your 'historic' photos!

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Graham
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-3-2009 at 10:21 PM
Mike's inspiration

It’s hard for me to think of Baja, without bringing Mike and Mike’s Mountain to mind. Mike challenged me to hike up to the top of the mountain… when hiking to the pub was usually about the limit of my ambition. It nearly killed me but I’ll never forget the terrific sense of accomplishment and the breathtaking view.

And it was up there for the first time, looking down at the bay and gazing across to Tiburon and mainland Mexico and south towards Las Animas that I envisioned that I was going to walk a good hunk of the coast of Baja and maybe write a book about it. A true peak experience.

Thanks Mike Michel – Gentle soul and a true Baja character. I’m sure your spirit will be guiding folks up your trail for generations to come.

Mike admiring bay.jpg - 43kB

Graham
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-3-2009 at 10:26 PM

If I remember correctly, the trail ran under what Mike called the McDonald's Arch.

Arch over trail.jpg - 42kB

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 5-4-2009 at 02:56 PM

Great photo!!

McNulty
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-4-2009 at 06:00 PM

Awesome photos graham! and thanks for your insight dude!

Their are 3 kinds of people in the world, those who can count and those who can\'t.
McNulty
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-4-2009 at 10:10 PM

Ya... I never saw the arch either; we definitely saw a trail heading up the left side of the canyon (at the very beginning of the hike, we went up the right side) so maybe that was an alternative rout.

vlbeta

[*] posted on 1-23-2015 at 02:19 PM

Hey guys, new to the forum, thank you all for posting such useful information and insights. I've been doing quite a bit of research here.

I'm heading to Tecolote Beach tomorrow from Los Barriles and would love to do the Mike's Mountain hike.

Where is the trailhead located and can you do the hike in one day? Or is it better to rest the night at the top and head back down on day 2?

Many thanks for all your help!
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.