Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  
Author: Subject: Low impact baja camping
Crusoe
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-25-2009 at 05:42 PM

Wilderone--Yes, I was at Lake Constance last August 1st for one night. It is such a pretty lake. The color of the water is unique unto itself. I have been their many times over the years.It doesn't get visited that often because of the steep and knarly and unimproved trail to access it. It is one of the (if not the steepest) trails in the Park. We use it as an overnight camp and access spot to climb Mt. Constance. Which is still very challanging and can be a dangerous climb.This last July 23rd there was a lighting strike on the ridge above the lake and unfortunately started a big fire. The fire is still burning to this day and the terrain is so steep that they cannot control it. Some big fire fighter expert pros came in from Calif. and went home with their tail between their legs and declared to just "let her burn". So now they are hitting it with a heli -water so the fire doesn't spread easterly and down to the settlement of Brinnon, Wa. which is close to where I live. You can follow the on Olympic Parks website and go to incidents N.W.. Sorry to say,but it could be possible your treeplanting and work coud be up in smoke. What year were you there? Thanx ++C++
Crusoe
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-25-2009 at 06:54 PM

Wilderone---Just got off fire incident website (www.inciweb.org) and Constance fire is in active. Burned 350 acres. Too Bad! ++C++
Taco de Baja
Super Nomad

Mood: Dreamin' of Baja

[*] posted on 8-26-2009 at 07:31 AM

How about the Mexican practice of depositing their TP in a bucket beside the public and private toilets throughout the country? That TP ends up going to the local dump blows to hell and back across the desert. :barf: This amounts to tons of fecal matter attached to the TP, plus the TP itself and is a lot more high impact than burying our #2 along with our TP while camping.

Truth generally lies in the coordination of antagonistic opinions
-Herbert Spencer
Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-26-2009 at 07:41 AM

This past summer in Bahia, our neighbors to the north of us had company for over 2 weeks. There were over 20 people of all ages staying at the house. Every day we would see them walking out to the desert with a roll of t.p., no shovel. This happened at any time during the day or night.

When they finally left the desert looked like it had snowed. TP streemers were flying from bushes, cactus, caught under rocks. The wind had carried it off in both directions so that we had quite a bit of it behind our place as well. It was disgusting.

Never mind about the piles of trash they left or the diapers.

P<*)))>{

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-26-2009 at 09:31 AM

So sad to learn of the Dosewallips drainage fire. That area has huge old growth trees. supposed to be 1/2 mile SE of Lake Constance and spreading downslope, so maybe hasn't touched the area immediately around the Lake. I was there with a group about 12 years ago. Thousands of seedlings of several kinds were dropped in by helicopter. We dredged the lake for soil, mixed it with the existing hardpack and added peatmoss, then planted the seedlings. It rained every day and we worked in the rain, cooked under tarps in the rain. When we hiked out 6 days later past an area that we planted first, they already had bright green new growth on them. Very satisfying.
ILikeMex
Nomad

Mood: Whishing I was there

[*] posted on 8-26-2009 at 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Crusoe
It takes 20 years for paper to decpmpose in a desert atmosphere.

Where do you get these statistics from - do you pull them out of your ass? :lol:
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 8-26-2009 at 10:20 AM
Thanks

Quote:
Originally posted by Curt63
The small propane cylinders are refillable at a cost of about 40 cents. Harbor Freight sells the little gizmo that attaches to a 5 Gal. Propane tank. Works like a charm, but some leak.

Every day you learn something, thanks much for the info on the adapter... have used propane for those small BBQs for some time, but with a 6.5 lb tank or larger, as the small ones took up too much space and were always rolling around.

Refills, outstanding...

;D;D

ElFaro
Nomad

[*] posted on 8-26-2009 at 12:11 PM

Well when I first read the title of this thread I got a "wiff" of where this was going and it certainly didn't smell good. I can now say with certainty this thread definitely stinks. In my effort to "clear the air" on this topic I have to tread a fine line between not getting dumped on but also not to take this thread into the sewer. Having said that...:lol::lol:

In all seriousness...we take along two 10 gal. portable black water tanks. You can buy them at RV supply stores. I think they even sell a 5 gal. size. What I like about them is they have connections to easily dump into an RV site dump station. You can buy a hose with couplings and cut the hose to custom fit your tank-to-dump setup. I also bought a portable collapsible hand truck to wheel around the port. tank in case I have to haul the tank from my camp site to the dump station. If your camping remotely why not travel one day to an RV park, pay a small fee to dump your portable tank and return? We normally travel Baja towing a trailer...the reason for the 2 port. blk water tanks. We can use them for blk. or grey water...which ever the need to dump. For car camping you can MT your porta potty into the portable blk tank and later dump at an RV park.
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 8-26-2009 at 12:22 PM

i prefer a shovel when the funky outhouse isn't available. it's much more practical, even old school all the way back to when we started walking upright.

Crusoe
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-26-2009 at 01:41 PM

Barry....Got your u2u....Thanx.....Small world..... Yes we must have met at Dianosaur Natl. Mon., because we needed to get permits for our trips on the Yampa and Green through Ladore Canyon from the Rangers Headquartes there. I was incharge of getting permits among other dutys. I too was there from 1967 to 1972. Our headquarters were in Vernal, Utah. Many fond memories of islolated campsites and very few people on those rivers compared to now.We would run the Yampa early spring time and the Green in summer and every Sept. 1st would shift to Southern Utah near Moab and make two trips down Cataract Canyon. Lots of fond memories. Your job must have been very rearding as well. Mine was alot of fun!!! I never cosidered it real work. ++C++ :lol::lol::lol:
Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 8-26-2009 at 03:44 PM

Here was our solution one year when we had eleven people camping for a week---we built an outhouse....

At the end of the week we torched it and filled the hole back in!

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 8-26-2009 at 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Crusoe
Barry....Got your u2u....Thanx.....Small world..... Yes we must have met at Dianosaur Natl. Mon.,

dinosaur:
u2u is where you are supposed to reply to u2us :lol:
Pacifico
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-26-2009 at 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Paulina
This past summer in Bahia, our neighbors to the north of us had company for over 2 weeks. There were over 20 people of all ages staying at the house. Every day we would see them walking out to the desert with a roll of t.p., no shovel. This happened at any time during the day or night.

When they finally left the desert looked like it had snowed. TP streemers were flying from bushes, cactus, caught under rocks. The wind had carried it off in both directions so that we had quite a bit of it behind our place as well. It was disgusting.

P<*)))>{

Disgusting!!! Anyone ever say anything to them?
Crusoe
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-26-2009 at 05:01 PM

Wilderone- Yes I am sure alot of old growth trees must have been burned in that fire. A real shame.The Park Service has closed all the trails in and around both the S. Fork and the main fork of the Dosewallips so its hard to get any straight information as to what is happening. Also in the next drainage south along the Duckabush River there is an even larger fire that was started about the same time by a lighting strike and they are calling it the 10 mile fire, which they are unable to deal with. I have heard it is taking out alot of old trees ( silver firs) that some have been there for 1000 years or more. They have claimed that they will let the fires burn until the Nov. rains put them down. Really to bad. ++C++
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 8-26-2009 at 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pacifico
Quote:
Originally posted by Paulina

P<*)))>{

Disgusting!!! Anyone ever say anything to them?

Agreed... I bet you had to really hold back Paulina!? Did you not give them a piece of your mind because they were in 'their own country'?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-26-2009 at 05:58 PM

Give them a piece of my mind?

Does anyone actually think that one Americana crazy woman's opinion was going to change the lifetime habits of seven different families that were staying at that property?

No.

"In their own country" is a big part of it.

I was tempted many times to walk a shovel out to them as they were doing their duty, catch them in the act so to speak. I knew they already had them as we watched them dig out a truck stuck on the sand. They were choosing not to put forth the energy to use them.

Toileting wasn't their only infraction.

So far I've been able to get them to avoid flattening out the dunes in front of our place with their ATCs. They go around, but they still race up and down the beach as fast as they can as well as fly back and forth behind our place.

They are better with their trash as last year I took them a full box of Hefty bags "assuming" they forgot to bring them. There were fewer people at the house at that time, young adults who instantly got up and cleaned up the beach.

This time some of the trash actually was put in bags, but left in the neighbor's steel drum oven for the trash truck to make it's non existant trash pick up. The crows did their best with it.

As it was when the families left Dern and I picked up 4 more bags of trash that had blown out into the desert. We took it all to town to the municipal trash cans.

Even picking up their trash in obvious disgust while they were still there watching us didn't encourage them to stop letting the wind do the work for them.

There are some people with some cultural/ ingrained habits that will continue to do as they have always done. What we can do is try to set a good example and do the best we can to not add to the problem.

P<*)))>{

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
SKIDS
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-26-2009 at 06:04 PM

The Japanese have a common sense approach to human waste .They have been useing it for fertilizing the land for hundreds of years with very little health issues.
www.alanmacfarlane.com/savage/DUNG.PDF
dthomas218

[*] posted on 9-1-2009 at 09:51 AM

I want to pick up on Shari's (and others) comments about recycling and one-liter bottles. On my last trip to Baja I stopped at an "aqua purificada" station in one of the last towns before heading into the Catavina desert, and paid a deposit on one of those large bluish containers, half filled with water. I threw it in the back of the car, refilled once on the way, and got my deposit back on the return trip. I used it to keep filling the liter bottle I had carried from home, and was out of pocket about seven bucks for water.

Dan
EnseNADAslim
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2009 at 09:09 AM

I camp out every year for the baja 1000 and 500 and we set up our potty tent, use our bucket with toilet seat, pack out what we pack in... We try to do the same when we Kayak as much as possible. As I see it this problem has again feel on the US saving the world and the whole "Green" thing is a bit out of control. People just need to do what is right.
The locals of this country should be setting the example for it's visitors but I'm still amazed as I drive down the street and watch beer cans and Mc Donalds bags getting thrown out the window.
Yes! I totally agree with the just of this post, we need to do all we can to respect this land and it's waters. And when we camp pack out what you pack in.
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2009 at 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ron_Perry
What I saw at this dump was the worst sight I have ever seen in Baja, or anywhere else in my life. As far as my eyes could see, trash blowing in every direction, with no attempt to bury or recycle. Out of sight, out of mind, in the middle of the desert. Ron

Our town has municipal trash collection, but since we do not have a road yet by our place, we take our trash to the local dump---besides, it is a nice drive out into that area.

While there are efforts to make it better, it is a mess----many, many people do not go all the way to the dump, they just dump along the road.

And the dump is located in an absolutely beautiful part of the desert and beautiful canyon and it is as you describe---

So, we take our trash, sometimes the neighbor's trash, bags of the trash we pick up around the area, and then dump it onto another beautiful desert---never feels right, but the dump has to be located somewhere and there is the beginning of some management.

There is also talk about maybe starting to recycle plastic and that would be great and help.

As far as camping goes, some of the ideas like that of Mexitron are great ideas, but we usually do not stay more than one night in a place---

While we have not backpacked for several years, I remember in the Sierra's when the area around the back country campsites were awful, really awful. Same as some areas in Baja---like out where the local horse race track is---not a pretty picture. A funky outhouse would be a welcome addition.

Crusoe---didn't know you worked for Outward Bound---my oldest son worked for them many years ago before he started his own business. Good outfit.

[Edited on 9-16-2009 by jdtrotter]

Pages:  1    3  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.