BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  ..  13
Author: Subject: Baja Highway 1 Condition after storm...
BajaCactus
Senior Nomad

Mood: Helpful

[*] posted on 1-22-2010 at 03:09 PM
Baja Highway 1 Condition after storm...

Hi everyone,

There are several places of Highway 1 impassable at the moment (Jan 22, 2010), due to the heavy rains:

-- The bridge at Las Animas has collapsed.
-- The bridge at San Vicente was also affected.
-- Apparently, the bridge at Colonet has also been damaged.
-- The bridge in Col. Guerrero is damaged.
-- The bridge in El Rosario has partially collapsed... many stranded people south of it... food supplies are being delivered with ropes over it.

Normal communications with the San Quintin area are unavailable at the moment... no phone services, no cellular, no internet (only Movistar services are available in some areas). TelNor and Telcel have dispatched technicians via air to attempt repairs.

Even though crew repairs have been sent to repair the road, it seems they are working their way from the North, therefore there have been no time frames mentioned for completion... I do not know, but common sense would suggest that the water flowing in those rivers has to subside before attempting repairs... this could delay the repair crews.

If you plan to travel to Baja in the next days, it would be wise to wait a little bit and see how things develop.

Hope this info is helpful.

Antonio Munoz
BajaCactus

[Edited on 1-25-2010 by BajaCactus]

[Edited on 1-26-2010 by BajaNomad]

BajaCactus
"Where Baja is so much more than a dream..."
baja-spirit
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-22-2010 at 03:24 PM

Thank you for the information. We were planning on crossing the border Tuesday, but I think we had better wait a few days. We don't want to be part of the problem.
Been wanting to get down there for a few weeks now so a few more days won't hurt us...except we are in snow!!!!
bajaandy
Senior Nomad

Mood: Adventurous

[*] posted on 1-22-2010 at 03:34 PM

Thank you Antonio for the current road information. Wow... that sounds like quite a bit of road and bridge damage. Hope they get things fixed soon!

subvert the dominant paradigm

"If you travel with a man, you must either fall out with him or make him your good friend."
JBL Noel
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 1-22-2010 at 03:36 PM

Wow. Important update. Thank you Antonio!

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
bajarich
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-22-2010 at 03:39 PM

I am planning to leave Salt Lake City tomorrow morning to drive to LA area, spend a few days and then cross at TJ toward the end of the week. I was going to leave last Tuesday but held up because of the storm in LA. I hope they can get the necessary repairs done by then. I may be traveling with Pompano who is planning to cross on Friday or Saturday. I'm heading to the East Cape para pescar.

Please Antonio, keep us posted.

Rich
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 1-22-2010 at 04:03 PM

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=43750

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
ELINVESTIG8R
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-22-2010 at 04:21 PM

I just called my brother Mario in Ensenada and he said what Antonio said with respect to roads and communications. Bridges are out or damaged. El Rosario is currently under a communications blackout with both Cell and Landline. Mario did tell me he spoke to the family in El Rosario yesterday and all are well so far. Thank God! I have visions of the Tromba that came through El Rosario all those years ago and had Mama Espinoza floating on top of that round table clinging on for dear life as the flood water roared around her.

[Edited on 1-23-2010 by ELINVESTIG8R]

Donjulio
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-22-2010 at 05:02 PM

San Felipe is fine. Come on down.
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-22-2010 at 05:31 PM

Mex 1 is the lifeline of Baja. The authorities will, as usual, mobilize to reopen it as soon as possible. I just think that anyone planning to go South of Ensenada needs to be patient.
toneart
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Skeptical

[*] posted on 1-22-2010 at 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajahowodd
Mex 1 is the lifeline of Baja. The authorities will, as usual, mobilize to reopen it as soon as possible. I just think that anyone planning to go South of Ensenada needs to be patient.

I agree! The government was certainly very quick in responding and taking care of business after Hurricane Jimena, further south.Mother Nature needs to cooperate first, though.:yes:

RPaitich

Mood: Elated

[*] posted on 1-22-2010 at 06:05 PM

Friday 3 PM; we were turned back 15 mi south of Ensenada by La Policia. They said the bridge at San Vicente is out, dunno when it will be fixed. Now at hotel in Ensenada; we'll stay overnight and see. If it will take too long, we may go to Los Mochis and take the ferry to La Paz. Ron
Paulina
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-22-2010 at 06:21 PM

Dern is heading out tomorrow morning at first light. We got a phone call yesterday from our neighbors in Punta Banda that mud decided to move in, letting itself in the front door.

The clean up crew (Dern and Carter) are on the way. I wish I could go too.

P<*)))>{

\"Well behaved women rarely make history.\" Laurel Thatcher Ulrich
Gypsy Jan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Depends on which way the wind is blowing

shocked.gif posted on 1-22-2010 at 07:06 PM
Mud Flow - the Original Parachutista

Today, this Friday afternoon, we traveled north into Rosarito on the free road. From Los Medanos (the dunes) south of Primo Tapia to Los Gaviotas there were patches of dirt/mud/pothole areas that are rough, but navigable. The road was full of local compact/low rise vehicles navigating the various hazards in both directions and, as usual, the taxis roared by and around slower traffic at warp speed, drenching the slower vehicles with mud splash.

No part of the road was underwater and in Rosarito central, the vados (storm drains) were flowing fiercely, but staying within their banks. Intersections were gloppy, but passable if you wanted to turn off the main boulevard onto the side streets.

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow mindedness.”
—Mark Twain

\"La vida es dura, el corazon es puro, y cantamos hasta la madrugada.” (Life is hard, the heart is pure and we sing until dawn.)
—Kirsty MacColl, Mambo de la Luna

\"Alea iacta est.\"
—Julius Caesar
BajaCactus
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-22-2010 at 07:25 PM
San Vicente

My friends,

I just saw some very impressive video images on the local news in Tijuana (Jan 22, 18:00) about the bridge in San Vicente...it has a part totally collapsed (no bridge at all) and the water is still flowing very high on that river... it seems unlikely they will have a pass on that place soon... not until the water comes down quite a bit.

Many people stranded in between the towns of San Vicente and Col. Guerrero... they cannot move forward or backwards... not enough food or water in the small villages...it is really bad down there.

El Rosario and San Quintín are still on a communications blackout... only Movistar cellular services seem to be working in some parts.

Government authorities say they are on site, with the appropriate machinery to conduct repairs, just waiting for waters to come down and be able to work.

Again, double check your itinerary if you are planning to come to Baja soon... better to wait in home than on the road or a hotel.

Antonio Muñoz
BajaCactus

[Edited on 1-23-2010 by BajaCactus]

BajaCactus
Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-22-2010 at 07:43 PM

Antiono, thanks for the updates. I pray that things will get better for the locals soon.

Mean people suck!
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-22-2010 at 07:59 PM

Thanks Antonio.

30-40 years ago this used to happen often. With the long term drought we forget.. and now with more people and a very fine hwy we are more dependent on getting north and south.

Keep the news coming
BajaCactus
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-22-2010 at 08:33 PM
Washed out...

Forgot to mention that several deeps on the highway, north of El Rosario, were also washed out by the rain... I suppose this may also apply to several others along the highway.

A "contact" at the SCT told me that it may take up to three days until they can begin repairs on the bridges and roads.

Antonio Munoz
BajaCactus

BajaCactus
jgreenlaw1

[*] posted on 1-22-2010 at 08:35 PM
BRIDGES WASHED OUT IN BAJA

BRIDGES WASHED OUT JUST NORTH AND SOUTH OF SAN QUINTIN BAJA MEXICO

Just heard from a friend that you can not travel further south than colonia vicente guerrero. The last time this happened it took weeks to repair. Can no longer even contact family via cell phone. If you want to travel forther south you will not be able to. People living close to the bridges have been told to leave.

UPDATE san vicente bridge and bridge just south of the Ensenada military check point El Zorillo is also washed out. A total of 4 bridges gone.
BAJACAT
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-22-2010 at 08:35 PM

Gracias Antonio, espero que tu familia se encuentre bien, espero verte en FEB 12 si esto se compone.lol

BAJA IS WHAT YOU WANTED TO BE, FUN,DANGEROUS,INCREDIBLE, REMOTE, EXOTIC..JUST GO AND HAVE FUN.....
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 1-22-2010 at 08:55 PM

History is repeating itself ..in a bad way.

In 1979 while enroute to Mulege in my pickup camper pulling a boat, myself and about 500 other travelers were stranded between flooded rivers and washed-out bridges between San Quentin and El Rosario.

We were there for 15 days before the waters receded and we were able to navigate the muddy river bottoms to the opposite shores..and regain the highway south. We all pitched in and provided for each other, and also the Mexican Army helicopters would airlift water and supplies to us. I recall a lady had fallen and hurt her hip and was evacuated by helicopter.

It was actually not so bad for most of us tourists...being stranded with so many new friends was a great experience, in a unusual kind of way. We entertained ourselves with songs, playing cards, group cooking, and fireside chats. I kept up a poker game every night in my camper. Lost a few pesos..won a few pesos...and had a ball.

Looks like we will be going the long way around to get to Conception Bay on this return trip...but hey, it's another adventure! ;D

I hope everyone down there stays safe, fed, and warm.

Buene suerte.

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
 Pages:  1    3  ..  13

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.