Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3    5
Author: Subject: Age when you decided to make the plunge
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 2-1-2010 at 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajabass
Salud Dennis, and all Nomads. Is this the day the constitution was signed? Need to know these things. Are the cervecarias closed?:(

It's not a 1A major holiday like Christmas so the stores are open. Smaller stores as well unless they elect to close. Beer stores are open. Schools are closed.
I don't know if the day honors anything they did with the Constitution....just that they have one. I understand that if they had a holiday for each time they made an ammendment, nobody would ever have to go to work again.
bajabass
Super Nomad

Mood: Want to fish!!!

[*] posted on 2-1-2010 at 10:24 AM

:lol::lol::tumble::biggrin:
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 2-1-2010 at 01:52 PM

Hey what happened to the thread.. there WERE some folks putting up some great stories

wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 2-1-2010 at 07:09 PM
Date

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:
Hey Dennis, they let you and I in:lol:

I moved down on a holiday. :lol:

Just a reminder...today is the day they observe Constitution Day. SALUD

What Constitution are we talking about, just googled it and for Mexico it's Feb 5 or is there another one?

The Political Constitution of the United Mexican States of 1917 is the present constitution of Mexico. It was drafted in Santiago de Querétaro by a Constitutional Convention during the Mexican Revolution. It was approved by the Constitutional Congress on February 5, 1917, with Venustiano Carranza serving as the first president under its terms.

Got that from Wiki.. with a search for: date signed constitution mexico.. :):)

comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 2-1-2010 at 08:11 PM

This year it is observed on Feb.1 (Monday)

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 2-1-2010 at 08:21 PM

Holidays and Observances:
Jan 1 New Year's Day
Feb 1 'Constitution Day Memorial' day off
Feb 5 Constitution Day Memorial
Mar 15 'Benito Juárez's Birthday Memorial' day off
Mar 21 Benito Juárez's Birthday Memorial
Apr 1 Maundy Thursday
Apr 2 Good Friday
May 1 Labor Day / May Day
May 5 Cinco de Mayo
Sep 16 Independence Day
Oct 12 Columbus Day
Nov 2 All Souls' Day
Nov 20 Revolution Day Memorial
Nov 22 'Revolution Day Memorial' day off
Dec 12 Day of the Virgin of Guadalupe
Dec 25 Christmas Day
Timo1
Senior Nomad

Mood: Lovin every minute of it

[*] posted on 2-2-2010 at 07:00 AM

a classic highjack for sure !!!
Barbareno
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-2-2010 at 07:12 AM

Quote:
Good luck! I am trying to sell my business, and I am done here. Have you decided where you are going?

Yes, we would make our home in Bahia Asuncion. We could live in our motor home till we get established. It is the ideal location for us. Fishing on shore is the major glincher. People are fantastic.

Thanks again for all the responses.
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 2-2-2010 at 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Timo1
a classic highjack for sure !!!

Thanks, just the way I saw it too.. And I went back to take a look..

Now perhaps others will share their stories with relevant and helpful details about a decision which, in many cases is very "concerning" to others in this process as it will apply to their own individual situation ...

I know from others posts on this subject, the information is well intended overall... as it should be.. as it will be used to help make an "informed decision" about a very significant move in one's life....

Moves of this type, should not be taken lightly and the more input from others who have made a transition from living in the United States to Baja can only be helpful when taken as a whole..

Good luck on your move.. I'm sure it will work out.. There are too many people here with a abundance of knowledge about SO many things.. I'm continually amazed at the knowledge which exist here and in many, many cases... a true can do sprit.. Coupled with a wiliness to share same.. Some real straight arrows.. One can differ on a lot of things.. But, if the bottom line is one of: kindness, thoughtfulness, sharing based on fundamental fairness to all.. Well, it will all be good..

A great bunch of folks.. Glad to have been lucky enough to get to know a few, and have gained from them knowledge and perspective too.. I'm sure you will too..

That's my story and I'm sticking to it...:):)

Wiley

flyfishinPam
Super Nomad

Mood: gone fishin'

[*] posted on 2-2-2010 at 07:48 AM

I was 34 when I came here for good.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 2-2-2010 at 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by wessongroup
Thanks, just the way I saw it too.. And I went back to take a look..

I guess that's when you noticed you were right in the middle of it. :lol:
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 2-2-2010 at 09:12 AM

And what would it be??:lol::lol:

oladulce
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-3-2010 at 01:34 PM

I'm 52 and esposo is 49 3/4*. We have been living in BCS fulltime for 1 month now, but have been planning this and waking up everyday thinking about this for the past 20yrs when we bought our first Baja plot of land.

The #1 question people asked is: "what will you do all day?". To which we laugh because there aren't enough hours in the day to do everything.
(See, a whale just spouted as I'm looking out the window so it's taking me even longer to write this.) Not just the fun stuff but everyday life is time consuming in a remote location with solar power. Nobody picks up your trash, you haul it to the dump. It can take half the day to track down Cano, the man who drives the water truck to schedule a delivery. Then there's all the time you spend fixing broken things!

#2 most frequently asked question was: "don't you want to keep your so Cal house in case you want to come back?". That was easy- negatory! Even if this didn't work out for some reason, we wouldn't return there anyway.

The only thing that kept us up there so long was our jobs. Only a 401 K for me so I didn't officially "retire" with a pension. BigWooo can start collecting his pension on his 50th birthday so he was close to retiring.* It's a balance to stick it out at your job long enough to have financial security but retire early enough to be able to enjoy it. We would have loved to have done this sooner but didn't want to be 75 year olds down here selling driftwood windchimes to scrape together money to get our cataracts fixed.

Hang on- the whale is back and he's right off the beach...

Ok, I'm back. Anyway, we're in a different place than where the first Baja lot was. We changed locations about 18 yrs ago to be closer to waves. Surfing- that silly pastime that has guided our decisions, but will certainly not effect all the Baja stories you'll hear Barbareno.

When the day comes that we're too old to be able to surf, I don't know if we'll stay in this location. It's windy and dirty and rocky with a road that eats your tires and is not close to amenities such as stores and banks. But most likely we would move to a place a little warmer (ocean) year round.

Holy cow, now there's the whale, some dolphins and a seal was just body surfing a wave right out front. Gotta go...

[Edited on 2-3-2010 by oladulce]
Gypsy Jan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Depends on which way the wind is blowing

[*] posted on 2-3-2010 at 01:53 PM
Amen, oladulce

:yes:

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow mindedness.”
—Mark Twain

\"La vida es dura, el corazon es puro, y cantamos hasta la madrugada.” (Life is hard, the heart is pure and we sing until dawn.)
—Kirsty MacColl, Mambo de la Luna

\"Alea iacta est.\"
—Julius Caesar
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 2-3-2010 at 02:11 PM

I was 29 when I built my first home here in southern Baja.

But 'take the plunge?'....never.

I am only 66 now and not nearly old enough to make a final decision. Lots of world to see out there.

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
longlegsinlapaz
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-3-2010 at 02:30 PM

Olsadulce, you're evil!:saint: All those front yard whale sightings!! I sure hope you're keeping your camera right next to the door closest to the water & making sure the batteries are always charged!! I wanna be seeing some proof of all these whale tales!

Dang!! How on earth will you be able to surf with all that traffic out there? Maybe look into setting up a surfer carpool lane?;)

Yours is the type of experiences Barbareno has been waiting to hear about!:bounce:
longlegsinlapaz
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-3-2010 at 02:38 PM

Pompano, you're just a young whippersnapper at heart....you got plenty of time to figure out where or IF you want to light when you grow up! Something tells me it's unlikely that there will be a front porch & rocking chair in the picture!:spingrin:
bajabass
Super Nomad

Mood: Want to fish!!!

[*] posted on 2-3-2010 at 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by longlegsinlapaz
Pompano, you're just a young whippersnapper at heart....you got plenty of time to figure out where or IF you want to light when you grow up! Something tells me it's unlikely that there will be a front porch & rocking chair in the picture!:spingrin:
I'm thinking Pacificos and fishing poles for both of us!:yes:
Barbareno
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-4-2010 at 05:17 AM

Oladulce you brought a chuckle to me this morning about "what will you do all day". That has been something that I was wondering myself. Stupid ey? I had a hard enough time reading a book (which is a passion of mine) with all the excitement going on around me last time we went.

I am really starting to get pumped up. Put the worries away for awhile and think of the positives. You know you hear of people just recently retired who go snakey with so much time on their hands. Well there is enough things that I want to get back into so I shouldn't go too squirrly.

A good friend from Bahia Asuncion called us last night out of the blue. He must of gotten wind about our plans. He has offered me the use of his peddle kayak to try out. That will probably replace my belly boat (Float Tube) and I promised to take him with me to collect rocks for painting. There was dead air for awhile so I don't think he heard me.
ELINVESTIG8R
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-4-2010 at 05:56 AM

Oladulce have you posted a picture of what you see from your place to the ocean. I would love to see it. It Sounds positively wonderful! Whales, Dolphins, Seals, Oh My!

Pages:  1    3    5

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.