Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4  
Author: Subject: Age when you decided to make the plunge
BajaGringo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Let's have a BBQ!

[*] posted on 2-4-2010 at 09:30 AM

Loved your post oladulce. We are in the same boat - Cristina and I often laugh over dinner how fast the day goes by.

And then we start making plans for tomorrow...

shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 2-4-2010 at 09:48 AM

barbareno comes HIGHLY recommended on the "let in" list!!! She introduced us to paralysers in paradise!!! You guys will never have enough time on your hands...there is just so much to do...oops, gotta go, there is a whale family in our front yard going south....a dolphin pod looking for pulpo in our cove...some sealions trying to bust up a lobster trap...gotta clean the windows from all that darn salt spray...cook some crab...get some beer...see...busy busy busy....
cant wait to have you here to help me with all my chores!!!!

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
nlb333
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-4-2010 at 10:06 AM

Dustin and I met in Canada, he was preparing to sail around from California to Mexico or anywhere his heart (and his Dads Heart, as they had purchased the sailboat together) desired. Dustin thouroughly prepared me that he was not staying in Canada and that he would not be persuaded otherwise, I didn't try to persuade him, but we fell in love in a sort time anyhow. As Dustin was not putting his plans aside, he asked me if I wanted to join him. I said no the first few times he asked, because I felt weird about leaving family behind. Dustin asked me to marry him and I finally said yes, to both, marraige and the trip. Not 3 months into our trip to California, I found out that I was pregnant. So we figured it would be a good idea to finish the preparation on the boat and head south. Our first over night at sea (while I was pregnant) turned out Nicole+baby+rocking motion= unhappy Nicole and everyone else on the boat. We went back to the Marina in CHula Vista and Dustins dad began searching for houses we could buy anywhere in Mexico. The first place we came across was in San Bruno, the next day, after a couple of phone calls, we were on the road. We looked at the house and property and agreed on a price. Dustin was 35 I was 29, Xander was born In sept 2008 at the Santa Rosalia Hospital.
Neither of us has a 'back up' house to go back to. this is our home, and at time we both curse the day we decided on moving here, but most of the time we are quite pleased with it.
P.S. the days we curse Baja, are the days when the water doesn't work or the electricity is off for an extended period of time, nothing huge, just petty stuff
bajabass
Super Nomad

Mood: Want to fish!!!

[*] posted on 2-5-2010 at 10:00 AM

Great story nlb333! I love the San Bruno area.
Barbareno
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-6-2010 at 05:04 AM

I have loved reading your stories everyone. And I come back to it often. So it looks like 52 ain't so young after all.

I am getting so excited about the whole thing. Now its time to hunker down and put everything in motion. We have had someone come by the house here and tell us what to do for a quick and profitable sale. Lipstick mainly.

As I sit here I think....hmmm maybe one day someone else will ask the question that I have presented and I can tell them our story. Return the favor.
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 2-6-2010 at 05:36 AM

Was 59 when I chose Baja, 59'n1/2 when I decided to keep on looking. Hawaii?;)
Timo1
Senior Nomad

Mood: Lovin every minute of it

[*] posted on 2-6-2010 at 10:13 AM

Whats the cure for constant Baja daydreaming
Its getting harder to think straight
I need HELPPPPPPP
El Jefe
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-6-2010 at 04:03 PM

We've been retired down here full time on the east cape for almost five years and still loving it. We rented out our house in San Diego County, and that works out OK. We were 50 and 52 years old when we made the move. It's a big step with many potential pitfalls, but well worth the considerable effort that it takes.
The biggest downside to living here full time for us is that we are 1,000 plus miles away from out three kids and four grandsons. They don't get down to visit as much as we would like (or had fantasized) because they have their busy lives to live.
This year we plan to buy a motorhome and store it in San Diego so we can fly up and hang in the coastal camp grounds while visiting the kids. Maybe get a little more time up there being grandpa and grandma.
It has been a great adventure. Hell, we have an off road race coming by the neighborhood tomorrow. Should be a kick.

No b-tchin\' in the Baja.
longlegsinlapaz
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-6-2010 at 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Timo1
Whats the cure for constant Baja daydreaming
Its getting harder to think straight
I need HELPPPPPPP

JUST DO IT.....M O V E ! ! ! :bounce::bounce: Instant cure!:yes:
redmesa
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-6-2010 at 09:16 PM

Ok, I will put in my 2 pesos. B and T I love you guys. Everyone who has posted has a different reason and a different location. For what I now know about B.A. after the time we have been here is: kind wonderful people even the gringos, very simple life with no nightlife, living in a place is not the same as being a tourist, you have to work to stay involved and be able to accept it all. (hook, line and SINKER), if you had trouble living in a small town be fore-warned this IS a small town even if unique and foreign, there is no shopping and you will miss many things like ice cream or natural yogurt, the terrible road make this an island, no mail , no library or bookstore and although it is a full life it is a simple and limited life.
For me, I just want my options open even though I love B.A. there are many wonderful places in the world and Baja is one of them. I feel lucky every day when I look out to the sea but sometimes I think what maintains the love and awe is that I will not always be looking at it. It is a lovely temporal gift that I cherish and will as long as I can return to it just as I return to may other loves. I leave so that I that I can return again.
Barbareno
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-7-2010 at 07:38 AM

Redmesa we love you guys to and value your honest opinions. We know it won't always be a bed of rose's. There will be hurdles to jump. Doubts that we will have to overcome.

What do you mean No Library????:o

What I have been doing here for the last 30 plus years is working, sleeping and eating. The odd weekend getting out and relaxing by some pond. I want more of those odd weekends.

I don't believe that we are having any higher then normal expectations. Tim and I have each other and .........well we lean on each other and have alot of comfort in our simple lifestyle.

I don't want to get all mushy. :) We are going to be okay. So make some room for us.

Barb
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 2-7-2010 at 07:57 AM

there may be no big public library but the campground library is pretty extensive and ecclectic. I always have a stack of books still to be read these days as everyone leaves lots of reading material behind.

Barb's gonna become a world famous author...writing novellas about over the hill women coming to mexico and finding bliss, rejuvinating via hot latin lovers....while timo is out catching yellowtail every day...you'll see!

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
flyfishinPam
Super Nomad

Mood: gone fishin'

[*] posted on 2-7-2010 at 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by shari
there may be no big public library but the campground library is pretty extensive and ecclectic. I always have a stack of books still to be read these days as everyone leaves lots of reading material behind.

Barb's gonna become a world famous author...writing novellas about over the hill women coming to mexico and finding bliss, rejuvinating via hot latin lovers....while timo is out catching yellowtail every day...you'll see!

title on Barb's book and is it available on kindle?
redmesa
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-7-2010 at 05:57 PM

Always room for you guys. I, in a very selfish way, am thrilled that you are coming down. I have really missed you this stay. Anything I can do to make you transition better let me know.
I just really do miss libraries....they are part of soul just like a church but Shari and others have many good books to share.
Maybe we will see you in the summer.
Barbareno
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-8-2010 at 06:51 AM

No Pam...I am not a writter by any stretch of the imagination. I know Shari has books scattered all over the place and will get a kick out of reading them.

Thanks Redmesa, its so reassuring to know that we have so much support.
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-9-2010 at 02:13 PM

Barb,
I did not respond before since we do not live here in BA fulltime and probably never will. Look forward to you being here.

1. Books, we have so many books that we are beginning to take some back to the used bookstore in San Diego where we buy a lot of books. A neighbor asked to ¨borrow¨a book the other day and said yes, only if he promises NOT to return it.

2. Your property is located across the road from one of the very nicest families in Bahia Asuncion--I know you will enjoy them. At their brother´s home where a new restuarant is in the works, they hosted a super bowl party for a few of us ex pats and a few local families.

3. Entertainment? Well some mornings are just wonderful entertainment with just watching the light change on San Roque Island and or finding strange bugs like the wasp we discovered not so long ago.

4. The road to Vizcaino right now is worse than awful, so we tend not to go out of here as often---hopefully that will change.

5. We have made many local friends as I am sure you and Tim will. We have discovered a couple of wonderful artists, cake makers, etc. Always something new.

With some others, we have thought about a few business ventures that would keep us here, and that may happen, but I doubt we will ever give up our stake in the US for several reasons including our health insurance.

Our son right now has been almost two weeks over at Bahia de Conception camping and it is a better place for hours out on the kayak, but he also used the kayak here.

Also, before we even introduced him, one of the adult members of the bike team saw him on his bike, stopped work and led him on the trail. He has been invited out to observe lobster fishing and to join some surfers at Punta Choros. That is the type of town this is -- the locals want you to have a good time and feel welcome.

It is changing and has changed A LOT since we first arrived here --- good and well, some we see as not so good, but that is true everywhere.

Oh, during the windy months, there are several places to visit and explore---lots to do. Heck, we even enjoy driving to the dump.

In a U2U a while back, I did warn Tim about one dog problem near your property just so you keep an eye on Otis.

It sounds like you are ready, so I hope your home sells soon.

See you in BA

Diane

[Edited on 2-9-2010 by DianaT]

C-Urchin
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-10-2010 at 01:47 AM
moving to La Paz

Quote:
Originally posted by oladulce
It's a balance to stick it out at your job long enough to have financial security but retire early enough to be able to enjoy it. We would have loved to have done this sooner but didn't want to be 75 year old down here selling driftwood wind chimes to scrape together money to get our cataracts fixed.

Edited on 2-3-2010 by oladulce]

Been looking at properties for 4 years to start a B & B. The same listings have been up for years. There is something about the real estate business down here...

I have a good business back in LA, tired of traffic, traffic, stressed out clients, traffic and more traffic. Want to take the plunge, not sure quite how. Some good advice was offered: Do whatever you fancy but "have an exit plan".

I have met a lot of destitute "Gringos" with no "exit plan" and of course the sopilotes circling around.

48. No social security.

All pertinent advice welcomed.:yes:
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 2-10-2010 at 06:28 AM

C-Urchin.. You have a tough row to hoe.. But, with your approach you may be able to find a way.. I'm sure you will.. if you are running a business in the United States... you are capable of just about anything, in my book..

Just love it when folks talk about the traffic, not a sadist, it just brings back memories.. someone mentioned the 580 in California.. it just brings back memories.. the 99, 395 and others.. as you I spent a lot of my life in automotive vehicle and/or planes .... stressed out clients.. and more traffic and stressed out clients

Good luck.. I was not able to "pull the plug" in my 40's..50's and only stopped work due to a physical disability in my early 60's

Oladulce is pretty much on target for most folks... or they wouldn't even be asking and/or talking about the subject... as funding is required!! to do anything... there are certain exception to this rule.. of course, but they don't apply to an ugly old man.. who is messed up..:lol:

Barbareno
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-10-2010 at 08:01 AM

Diane, so that dog is still around ey? Too bad. Ottis has never been in any kind of a fight, very submissive. If he is not crying uncle with all four's in the air he is skirting around and running away from an agressive dog. He just doesn't get it why others can't love him as much as he loves them. He can be such a weinie.

We do intend to build a wall up on all sides of the casa. In time. Looking forward to being part of the hood.
C-Urchin
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-11-2010 at 12:29 AM
moving to La Paz

Quote:
Originally posted by wessongroup
C-Urchin.. You have a tough row to hoe.. But, with your approach you may be able to find a way.. I'm sure you will.. if you are running a business in the United States... you are capable of just about anything, in my book..

Just love it when folks talk about the traffic, not a sadist, it just brings back memories.. someone mentioned the 580 in California.. it just brings back memories.. the 99, 395 and others.. as you I spent a lot of my life in automotive vehicle and/or planes .... stressed out clients.. and more traffic and stressed out clients

Good luck.. I was not able to "pull the plug" in my 40's..50's and only stopped work due to a physical disability in my early 60's

Oladulce is pretty much on target for most folks... or they wouldn't even be asking and/or talking about the subject... as funding is required!! to do anything... there are certain exception to this rule.. of course, but they don't apply to an ugly old man.. who is messed up..:lol:

I enjoy reading you and appreciate the advice!
 Pages:  1  2    4  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.