Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: CITATIONS IN CONSTITUTION
BAJA.DESERT.RAT
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-11-2010 at 12:55 PM
CITATIONS IN CONSTITUTION

Hola, a few months ago, there were postings on different sites about tickets being given out to almost everybody passing through town after hurricane jimena.

i read that the traffic lights were all out of order but people were being cited for not stopping anyway. when i drove north in october, there were no citation problems and none of the lights were working nor were there any stop signs at any of the intersections.

i'll be going through on sunday from loreto to la paz and need to know if i should drive through on the easterly side streets as recomended in the past thereby avoiding the main drag ?

i thank you in advance.

BIEN SALUD, DA RAT
desandmarla
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-11-2010 at 01:41 PM
Citations in Ciudad

We just took two Vagabundos caravans down, one in January and one in February and had no problems. BUT, based on a friend's advice who lives there, we drove very slowly on the main drag and stopped at every intersection whether there were lights or not. The rumors you heard were true and must have been pretty bad for our friend who lives there to call us about it. One of our caravaners from last year drove themselves this year in December and stopped for the night at Palapa 206. The men stayed at camp while the women went into town. I don't want to bore you with the gory details but it was a two hour ordeal and pretty scary for the women so it's definitely something to consider when driving through that town. Marla.
BigWooo
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-11-2010 at 02:30 PM

Spent several days there recently. Other than a few lights, they are all flashing yellow now. Treat them all like stop signs. Very few cops pulling people over from what I saw. All the cars being pulled over were on side streets, not the main drag.
lapazhawk

[*] posted on 3-11-2010 at 02:32 PM

Good to know, I'll be more careful next time I pass through. Been through 4 times in the last 3 months with no problems. Thanks for the heads up.

Life is good today...........
BAJA.DESERT.RAT
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-11-2010 at 03:43 PM

Hola, i guess i'll also be answering my own question.

i just got an email from a friend in los barriles and he said " some " people did get citations in constitution and to stop at each intersection, red light or not.

i didn't know they were patrolling the side streets ?

thanks for the responses.

BIEN SALUD, DA RAT
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 3-11-2010 at 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by desandmarla
I don't want to bore you with the gory details but it was a two hour ordeal and pretty scary for the women so it's definitely something to consider when driving through that town. Marla.

Details are what get people's attention. Not looking for the sensational, but if it's bad, people should know.
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-11-2010 at 04:24 PM

We pass through there a couple of times a year in each direction, and have yet to be stopped by anyone. Frankly, I was amazed at what they devised with the highway, and the right of way and turn signals and all that. I found that staying in the center lanes, traveling slowly, and after the hurricane, stopping at every intersection worked like a charm. Personally, taking the parallel streets may have been an option in the beginning, but once the local cops realized what was happening, I would strongly recommend that any US plated vehicle just stay on the main drag, drive slowly, and stop at every intersection.
rhintransit
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-12-2010 at 07:56 AM

I contributed to the last post on this subject (sometime in November or December 2009 I think) and recommended the side streets, etc.
in the past six weeks, I have driven thru Constitucion seven times, and plan to do it an eighth in a few days. the first four times was as a passenger and that pretty much cured me of fear of the policia, so I have been just driving the main drag, not the highway, but the access road. there seems to be little traffic on the highway.
haven't had any trouble, or even seen patrols more than once or twice.
ALL intersections are four way stops, whether or not they have the sign propped by the road or there is a yellow signal. slow way down, stop (completely) at each, and you should be fine. it's a little disconcerting to realize that the guy who may turn in front of you has stopped on the other access road across the highway so watch out for that. also, many locals and otherwise don't stop so be alert for that danger.

reality\'s never been of much use out here...
oladulce
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-12-2010 at 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BigWooo
Spent several days there recently. Other than a few lights, they are all flashing yellow now. Treat them all like stop signs. Very few cops pulling people over from what I saw. All the cars being pulled over were on side streets, not the main drag.

I can elaborate more on BigWooo's comment since he was busy driving.
Two days ago in Cd Constitucion the only place we saw cops who had detained vehicles was a few blocks in from the hwy, on Reforma (the last big paved street on the south end of town).

There was one police truck and about 5 cops who were each talking to a driver of a different vehicle. From the exchange of papers that i witnessed, it appeared to be a car registration check-point type of operation. This was the only place we saw cops with cars pulled over , although there is a definite police presence in the town and you see them driving around frequently.

No scary vibe that we witnessed, and we've been meandering around the town quite a few times lately paying taxes, banking, shopping, and driving the back streets scouting building material resources.

As stated, stop at all the flashing yellow lights at the intersections to play it safe and be aware that most, but not all, other drivers may do the same.
Baja&Back
Senior Nomad

Mood: Rarin' to go South!

[*] posted on 3-14-2010 at 09:49 PM

Yee Ha!! The Constitucion cops issue seems to be now resolved, in large part by Patty & Jaime of Misiones RV park (formerly Manfreds).
The city Mayor has issued letters of reprimand to every officer in town, cautioning them that stopping turistas for mordida will cost their jobs.
If you are hit up in Constitucion, get the patrollman's number or vehicle #, & date & hour. Phone direct to Sr. Villalejos, Sub-director de Policia, at 613-100-1910.
This went into effect 12 days ago.

BTW: Give Misiones RV a try. Park is immaculately clean, pool is filled, new palapa restaurant featuring Patty's Scampi Diablo. Several inexpensive rooms as well. Km 116.

Barry & Vanda
Baja and Back RV Tours
Vancouver BC Canada / Baja
http://bajaandback.com
slimshady
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-15-2010 at 08:07 PM

Who ever designed that street and its lights should seriously resign and be forbidden from holding any public position.
rhintransit
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 5-13-2010 at 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Baja&Back
Yee Ha!! The Constitucion cops issue seems to be now resolved, in large part by Patty & Jaime of Misiones RV park (formerly Manfreds).
The city Mayor has issued letters of reprimand to every officer in town, cautioning them that stopping turistas for mordida will cost their jobs.
If you are hit up in Constitucion, get the patrollman's number or vehicle #, & date & hour. Phone direct to Sr. Villalejos, Sub-director de Policia, at 613-100-1910.
This went into effect 12 days ago.

well, they're back. that didn't last long...

in the past week, four drivers from our little community of Pto Escondido/El Juncalito on four separate trips were stopped a total of five times (one twice, going to La Paz and returning) in Constitucion and shaken down for traffic 'violations.' on several occasions the police did not have identifying badges, on all but one of them the 'tickets' were either not written/given or written on clipped together blank pieces of paper. all individuals and witnesses in their cars, when there were some, say that they did nothing wrong. and stopped at every street corner. several refused to pay, the others paid a variety of fines/mordida directly to the policeman. all were told that it would be easier to pay the officer than come back the next day. none were aware of any recourse to the situation. (but are now, after a discussion on the local VHF net).

be aware. the cops are back in force stopping gringos. cuidado. decline to pay, agree to go to the police station AT THE TIME of the stop, ask for badge numbers/names and take photos if you can do it discretely. I assume you can still call the sub-delgado's number. print it out and carry it in your car.

any other suggestions from the Constitucion folks?

reality\'s never been of much use out here...
vandy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-17-2010 at 06:38 AM

I, for one, am going to print out the number large and place it on my dash, with the words "!No Mordida a policia en Constitucion!":lol:

Actually, I have never been given a "ticket" without a reasonable explanation, except once at Las Tules (beach in Los Cabos). I argue vehemently when stopped for no reason and I get shaken down. "Una bala cuesta solamente DOS pesos"....not so wise to say these days.

My last Constitucion encounter, fifteen days ago, was because I didn't know the speed limit was 25. Police station closed Sunday. They would take my license blah blah blah...

Where's a cartel when you need one?
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 5-17-2010 at 07:44 AM

:!:Ensenada is not Constitution but the 2 signal lights on the new beach road have not been working and a motorcycle cop stopped me and cited me for not comming to a COMPLETE stop at one of them:biggrin::biggrin:

Bob Durrell
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-17-2010 at 08:16 AM

Ask for names and take photos where possible.
gallesram
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-6-2010 at 11:32 AM

I was just driving through Constitution on Friday, July 2 from La Paz to Mulege. I had read this posting and printed the information regarding the name of the police chief (Sr. Villalejos) and his phone number. I got pulled over at the last traffic light (almost made it without any problems) and immediately pulled out the information with the phone number. The policeman and I got into about his badge number (he refused to give it to me) and my license (I refused to give it to him). Instead, I recited the name of Sr. Villalejos and called the number from my cell. Unfortunately, the call didn't go through the first few times but finally it did. That seemed to be enough for the cop; he let me go with a "warning" and I didn't have to pay the dreaded mordida. I never did reach Sr. Villalejos, by the way.

Every situation is different, of course, and in retrospect maybe I was a little too aggressive; but I was pretty mad! The name and phone number of Villalejos seemed to work; next time I'd probably just call the number without the back and forth about the license and the badge (we did that for a good five minutes). I also agreed to go to the police station but he didn't seem interested in that.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 7-6-2010 at 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by gallesram
in retrospect maybe I was a little too aggressive;

Sounds as though you had the level of aggression figured out just right.

Welcome to BajaNomad, gallesram. Look forward to more of your problem solving techniques.

By the way...there's another thread about the same subject going on now. You may want to post your experiences over there.

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=46302

[Edited on 7-6-2010 by DENNIS]
Iflyfish
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-6-2010 at 12:47 PM

gallesram

Thank you for this very helpful post on your experience. This is the first report that I have read about a successful resolution of extortion by police in Ciudad Constitution.

This post is your first and we Nomads are very grateful for your taking the time to share your experience with us. This is a big piece of why this site exists, Nomads helping Nomads.

The first round is on me!!

Please post your experience under the other thread on this issue.

IflyfishandamproudtobeaNomad
gallesram
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-6-2010 at 02:03 PM

Thanks for the welcome; this forum has helped me out many times and I wanted to at least return the favor by posting something that helped me! I'll post my experience on the other thread, too.
Iflyfish
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-6-2010 at 03:30 PM

This is the contact information for some very good people in Ciudad Constitution who I am certain would be interested in hearing from us about our experiences with the police in Ciudad Constitution. Theirs is an oasis in Baja and their restaurant is WONDERFUL. This is one of our favorite places to stay in the entire Baja and I hate to see them lose the business that they are losing now because of the extortion by their own city police.

Misiones RV Park
Highway 1 Km. 213
Ciudad Constitucion, Baja California Sur, Mexico.

Tel/Fax: (from US) 011-52-613-132-1103

E-mail: info@misionesrvpark.com

Owners: Jaime and Patty Briceno

Iflyfish
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.