Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  16    18  
Author: Subject: A Double Shakedown in Constitución
Iflyfish
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-28-2010 at 07:09 PM

Thanks for the heads up Udo on cutexianchick's passage through CC. This coupled with Frank's and other reports looks good. Recall that the people of CC took to the streets to demonstrate against police corruption in CC and they too may have had an impact, though there has been one report of being pulled over but not shaken down using the info from this thread.

We don't know if this extortion will stop or not, I hope Nomads will continue to post their experiences both positive and negative, it's all useful information to us.

We do know for certain that after many years of discussion on Nomads of different ways to confront police extortion we seem to have evolved a clear and successful way to deal with it. If nothing else comes out of this effort at tilting wind mills we have accomplished a lot.

Keep the reports coming. Your experiences are important to us.

Thank you all for your input into adressing this issue.

Iflyfish
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 7-28-2010 at 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Iflyfish

We don't know if this extortion will stop or not,

It won't immediatly. The counter-attack must be kept up. We're fighting tha Baja Taliban.
Perservere, my brothers and sisters. Freedom is in our hands.
longlegsinlapaz
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-28-2010 at 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Udo
The problem may be subsiding somewhat since a newbie, cutexianchick, made it through the gauntlet both ways with no problemas.:o

Uhhhhhhhh.....actually what she said was "We got stoped on the way down in CC and let go and nothing on the way back."
Paula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-28-2010 at 10:59 PM

Now it can be told!

About the time this thread began we made a trip through Constitucion and back to Loreto, no problem. Knowing we would be making another soon I kept this news to myself, so as not to gloat and have a hex cast upon us. Next round trip, nothing.

Third and fourth trips-- back and forth-- nothing!

We generally went south in the early part of the day, north a bit later. We did see a police van with cops on the road at the north end of town waving people over on two of the trips south. It seemed to be cars with Mexican plates who were being stopped. On the last trip south there was a motor cycle cop who would get behind us, then turn off, and then reappear. I was sure our number was up, but that was not the case, he had no interest in us. We always went along the side lanes, not the center, except for once going north when we were stuck behind some gringo with SD plates who was barely moving--we thought we'd NEVER get out of town:lol:

I don't think this means anything other than that we were lucky to avoid the hassle of a stop by no particularly virtuous behavior on our part. We drove the speed of traffic, and stopped at all of the stop signs we saw.

I just hope that if we need to make the trip again in fall, my report here doesn't come back to bite me in the butt!
Iflyfish
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-29-2010 at 06:43 AM

Thanks Paula. Glad you were able to get through with out a hitch.

I hope others will also continue to post their experiences, both good and bad so we can sty abreast of what is happening in CC.

Good Job amigos!!

Iflyfish
cutexianchick
Junior Nomad

Mood: excited!

[*] posted on 7-29-2010 at 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by longlegsinlapaz
Quote:
Originally posted by Udo
The problem may be subsiding somewhat since a newbie, cutexianchick, made it through the gauntlet both ways with no problemas.:o

Uhhhhhhhh.....actually what she said was "We got stoped on the way down in CC and let go and nothing on the way back."

Thanks I was just gonna post that I was stopped going down. My husband is Mexican from Mexico and he handled it, I am sure I would have been asked for money if he wasnt there. They were on the right side pulling "everyone" over as you were crossing into town. I was all ready to fight but I didnt get to! The officer said is was doing a "routine check", he wants to know who is coming in and out of the / his city (cant remembered what exactly my husband said). On our way back, a truck was going the other way, he turned around and followed in the other lane a few blocks. No problems just nervous.

By the way... in Guerrero Negro we stppped for breakfast and we met a family traveling from CC to TJ. Of course my husband is overly friendly and this older rancher and him became "best friends". We have a name to drop and look for the next time we are in CC. LOL Anyway whether it is true or not or just hear say... he stated that most people in the city are concerned with what is going on and they are aware of it and dont like it. Known fact they are pulling over US plates... they are mad at the US for what is going on in Arizona. :o He stated that the cops are so stupid and dumb (cant read or write very well... LOL) they dont even understand what is going on in Arizona. They state this is there way of getting us back! Again, not sure how true this is, I just am forwarding this information we got from a CC source to all of you! :)
Iflyfish
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-29-2010 at 10:34 AM

Thanks cutexianchick, we appreciate the clarification and information. This is the sort of information that is very helpful.

It is clear that there is powerful reaction to Arizona's new laws, but this problem pre-dates that issue. It is just another excuse for their criminal behavior.

It is good to hear again that the locals also do not like this business of extorting money from US Citizens. That sort of action clearly bites a hand that feeds them. We have read about citizens of CC engagine in street demonstration in opposition to police corruption and your post reinforces those concerns, which we share with them.

Thanks again for posting your experience to this thread and I am glad that you felt confident and prepared for a potential shake down. Like Lee has said, your presentation of a confident demeanor is very important in confronting police extortion.

Iflyfish
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 7-29-2010 at 10:35 AM

thanks cutex...it is interesting to hear it from the prospective of a local CC rancher and his opinion and account sounds entirely accurate.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
oladulce
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-29-2010 at 10:38 AM

We spent 2 days in Cd C last week for a meeting and multiple errands. Laid low, used evasive techniques to avoid police checkpoints and went WAY out of our way whenever we spotted cops hanging on corners, and parked the truck at the hotel and walked to accomplish as much as we could.

Had one near miss: the police were set up (standing) on both sides of the hwy at the north entrance to town and were eyeballing every vehicle that passed, Mexican plates included. (a friend said they focus on real violations for registration and no seat belts on Mex plates) . We parked a block away and my husb waited for a large truck to pass so he could try and slip behind it, but after 5 min a truck never came so we went anyway and luckily the cop turned his back as we went by and we slipped thru.

And one incident: We parked at a govt building and went in to do CURP registrations. The only street parking spot had dirt piled up as high as the curb so our back tire was raised up to curb height . When we returned to the truck a moto cop pulled up and pointed to the tire saying we had parked on the curb. My husb remained polite and explained that we were actually on the dirt, not the curb.

The cop said he understood but his comandante had driven by and told him to write us up. BigWooo told him we'd gladly discuss things at the cop shop. The fellow told him that because he'd been respectful (paraphrasing) , we could be on our way.

Not a bad trip this time but being constantly on your guard gets tiresome.

Just returned from a few days NOB and I don't think I saw as many cops on the drive up and down the peninsula or the 5 days in CA as I've seen after spending just a few hours in Ciudad. Didn't realize we'd developed police paranoia until we saw a few cops and had the "ah crap" feeling, then remembered "oh yeah, not Constitución" and could relax.

[Edited on 7-30-2010 by oladulce]
Iflyfish
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-29-2010 at 10:52 AM

Thanks oladulce for sharing your experience with us. Too bad you had to experience the anxiety but good on you for calmly and learly standing your ground and proposing the trip to the station. This is more evidence that supports our collectively developed approach to this issue.

I hope others will keep posting their experience.

Iflyfish
Iflyfish
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-30-2010 at 03:14 PM

bump
Sunman
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-31-2010 at 09:14 AM
Cleared the Gauntlet

A little update, we passed through Constitution twice over the past two weeks with no issues.

Once heading south from San Juanico via the south bound side street. We even made four stops, two banks, hieleria and deposito...I don't even think we saw a cop, this was on a Wednesday late afternoon.

We then came through again northbound on a Monday or Tuesday (?), stayed in the center lane and made no stops this time, didn't see a cop until the north end of town. We were a screaming tourista billboard with camper, surfboards and fuel cans on the roof. We were fully prepared to play the game but glad we didn't need to. Lucky? I dunno. Anyway, that's my story...maybe things are getting better. Hope everybody else has the same luck.
Iflyfish
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-31-2010 at 10:00 AM

Sunman

Thank you very much for this post. This is very useful information to all of us who travel thru CC. I am very pleased to hear that you were not stopped AND you were prepared IF you were stopped.

Forewarned is forearmed and you were both because of this thread on Nomads. I hope we take a moment to appreciate what we have done for each other by sharing our experiences and what we have learned about how to deal with police extortion in Ciudad Constitution.

Thanks again. I hope others will continue to share their experiences even if they are BORING!! Boring is good!!

I like that you spent some money in CC. If this continues I plan to do the same and hope others will also do so.

Iflyfish
Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-31-2010 at 10:14 AM

Now here's a challenge Flyguy. Find a way to let the CC merchants know we all want to say thank you by spending some dough in their town! Now THAT would be a real cause celeb. Maybe the locals would run the cops completely out of the municipio.

[Edited on 7-31-2010 by Osprey]
gnukid
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 7-31-2010 at 11:44 AM

According to the local news CdC Comondu, and all of BCS is having some serious trouble across the government, in particular due to much of the government money is missing/lost/stolen, many BCS incumbents resigned as is typical on the path to the next elections, many employees aren't being paid. CdC isn't paying City offices, the garbage isn't being picked up regularly, water offices have no electricity, there are charges of abuse, torture and rape against the police and the mayor is really under tremendous pressure to resign, the days ahead will be very difficult. The people must be brave and courageous.

http://colectivopericu.wordpress.com/?s=comondu

http://www.oem.com.mx/elsudcaliforniano/notas/n1726403.htm

http://www.oem.com.mx/elsudcaliforniano/notas/n1725044.htm

http://peninsulardigital.com/mas/extra/crece-la-tension-en-e...

http://colectivopericu.wordpress.com/2010/07/30/de-repente-s...

http://www.zetatijuana.com/html/Edicion1893/Reportajez_Preca...

http://www.tvazteca.com/barradeopinion/win_videos/video-inte...

http://www.icfdn.org/publications/na2006/documents/Community...

[Edited on 7-31-2010 by gnukid]
ElGato
Junior Nomad

Mood: Virile

[*] posted on 8-1-2010 at 02:04 PM

Does anyone have knowledge if the C.C. problem is avoidable by detouring to the airport and then back to the highway? :spingrin:
Iflyfish
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-1-2010 at 10:00 PM

No one has mentioned that route.

Iflyfish
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-2-2010 at 08:08 AM
Go for it!

Quote:
Originally posted by ElGato
Does anyone have knowledge if the C.C. problem is avoidable by detouring to the airport and then back to the highway? :spingrin:

Entirely possible to go around CC at the airport North of town. From what the roads look like, it's probable you'll get lost.

Then it comes down to how much inconvenience a traveler is willing to endure to avoid the police.

Based on principle, I'm willing to take my chances with the police than get lost sneaking around farmland trying to avoid them.

Google Earth clearly shows the route.

US Marines: providing enemies of America an opportunity to die for their country since 1775.

What I say before any important decision.
F*ck it.
Iflyfish
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-3-2010 at 06:45 PM

bump
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 8-4-2010 at 05:07 AM

I got an e-mail from someone yesterday who passed through CC a couple of days ago and was extorted for 500 pesos, unfortunately they were in a hurry and just paid it.
 Pages:  1  ..  16    18  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.