Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Solar freindly inexpensive refrigeration
larryC
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-12-2010 at 02:35 PM
Solar freindly inexpensive refrigeration

I have never had much luck with gas refrigerators, especially in the summer. They seem to stay about 40 degrees colder than ambient, but when ambient is 95 to 100 a 55 to 60 degree beer is just not cold enough. I was using a small dometic freezer as my beer cooler and it worked great. Set at its warmest setting it would easily stay at 35 to 40 degrees even on the hottest days. Unfortunatly all good things come to an end, and my 25 year old freezer finally cooled it s last beer. I looked for another one but they are scarce, and expensive. I remembered reading somewhere about someone that had used a small elec chest freezer and turned that into a refer using an external thermostat switch. What I found is that this is fairly common practice with the home brewing crowd.
What worked for me was to buy a used 5cf chest freezer that I found on Craig's list for $75. Then I bought a Johnson controls A 419 thermostat for $68 delivered and a $10 extension cord from home depot. You don't make any alterations to the freezer, so if you buy a new one you are not voiding the warranty. The thermostat control is wired so that it plugs into a 120v outlet and the freezer plugs into the thermostat. Then you set the temp on the thermostat to the temp that you want the freezer/refer to be at. Drop the thermostat probe into the freezer, and plug it into the wall outlet and you are done. The beauty of this thing is that it uses less than 300 watts in 24 hours (that's after the initial cool down period) I find that mine runs about 5 to 6 minutes every hour. I have the temp set to turn the freezer on at 42 degrees and off at 37 degrees. I got the thermostat here:
http://www.pexsupply.com/Johnson-Controls-A419ABC-1C-Single-...
So for around $150 I got a solar freindly beer/extra food refer. Life is now better. For me it works great YMMV.
Larry

[Edited on 8-12-2010 by larryC]
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 8-12-2010 at 03:43 PM

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=26910#pid2606...

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=42125

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=42113#pid4601...

;D

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
geomike
Junior Nomad

Mood: feeling an irresistable pull towards Baja...

[*] posted on 8-12-2010 at 08:40 PM

Well D###M that is clever!
OK brain remember this one for the future.
I mean it brain...or you'll get another bath in Gin.

You are entitled to your own opinions...not your own facts.
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-12-2010 at 09:59 PM

LC: I am so doing this unless you have room in yours for my beer.
larryC
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-13-2010 at 08:49 AM

Bajanomad
You mean I am not the first to do this? just kidding, when I was Googling for info none of those threads came up, but it was obvious that I was not the first.
Santiago, Soulpatch,
I am taking it down there next week to see how it does in the heat, and I will hook up my Killawatt meter so I can tell you exactly how much power it uses. So far I have it here in San Diego and the heat is non existant, one of the coldest summers I can remember. I will be at my place in early October and it will be available for a test beer then.
irenemm
Senior Nomad

Mood: relaxed

[*] posted on 8-13-2010 at 07:39 PM

Larry
will have #3 ready for you
drive careful see you then
Irene

stop and visit us

http://www.posadadondiego.com
see us on facebook
Debra
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-14-2010 at 03:04 AM

Santiago, what Soulpatch said, ME TOO, ME TOO!

Mean people suck!
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-28-2010 at 04:17 PM

Larry: have you put this together yet and if so, how's it working?
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-28-2010 at 08:44 PM

I got your 'Looky' right here!
hookemup
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-29-2010 at 11:49 AM

Being off the grid here in Cabo Pulmo we have a pal that took it a step further .He added a timer so it turns off at night .Works great unless of course you happen to drink in your sleep.
larryC
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-30-2010 at 05:28 PM

Santiago
Just got back from Bahia today. It is HOT down there. During the day it was hi 90's and in my garage (where the freezer is) it was 104. I hooked everything up and put in a case of warm beer, a case warm of sodas, and about a half a case of warm bottled water. In the first 24 hours the freezer used .630kw according to my Killawatt meter. The second 24 hours it consumed .452 kw. I don't think that is too bad considering the ambient temps. In camparison, my 18cf sears refer (in the house) used 2.98kw in a 24 hour period and it was already cooled down. I suspect that in the cooler months the consumption of the freezer will reduce by at least half. My sears refer drops to .95kw a day in the cooler months. Anyway, all in all I am happy with it, and it was alot cheaper than a propane unit.
hookemup
I tried it with a timer, I had it turn on at 8am and off at 8pm, but it still used .6kw, so I am guessing that having to re-cool down after a 12 hour off time is what used the extra power.
You are in Pulmo? My parents had a place there from '78 to '95 right next to Doug and Sally Kittridge. Are they still there? My dads place was just to the north of Dougs and just to the south of Marty Pasos's place, which is probably just an over grown lot by now. Great memories from there, lots of good diving out at the bajo, and fun fishing from shore right in front of the ramada in the afternoons for the Toros. Good times.
Larry
irenemm
Senior Nomad

Mood: relaxed

[*] posted on 8-30-2010 at 09:13 PM

Hi Larry
Glad you got home safely
was good to see you this trip.
Irene

stop and visit us

http://www.posadadondiego.com
see us on facebook
Santiago
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 8-30-2010 at 09:20 PM

Is the unit's thermostat still hooked up? I assume it would not matter as it would always be 'on' and the external control would turn the compressor on/off above the set point of the freezer's unit. Right? This means that you can also use it as a freezer just by plugging the freezer in the outlet. Do I have this right? I'm getting 5 cubic foot freezers in the $75 range on Craig's List up my way.
larryC
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2010 at 08:27 AM

Irene
Thanks, I had a great (as usual) meal and a quiet night at your place. I got up early and headed to border, only 4 cars in front of me, and no secondary. I was home before noon.

Santiago
Yes, you have it correct, no alterations to the freezer what so ever, so if you need it to be a freezer just plug it into an A/C outlet.
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 8-31-2010 at 09:31 AM

I have used a regular Whirlpool electric fridge (15cft) soley run by my solar system for the last 10 years or so.

I believe the fridge only costs about $250 USD at Electra or Whirlpool in La Paz.

Added insulation box and top venting helps, but it has always run flawlessly... and makes ice right quick!

[Edited on 8-31-2010 by Pompano]

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
Mexicorn
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2010 at 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pompano
I have used a regular Whirlpool electric fridge (15cft) soley run by my solar system for the last 10 years or so.

I believe the fridge only costs about $250 USD at Electra or Whirlpool in La Paz.

Added insulation box and top venting helps, but it has always run flawlessly... and makes ice right quick!

Where can I get one of these in northern Baja?

Always looking over ones shoulder is no way to live.
Help stop the cowerdice involved in cyberbullying:
http://www.ehow.com/how_5270535_fight-adult-cyberbullying.ht...
larryC
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 8-31-2010 at 10:32 PM

Quote:

So does my sears, but how much power does your Whirlpool use in a day? I suspect in the summer months it uses more than 450 watts.
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-1-2010 at 04:47 AM

Mexicorn...wish I could tell you with certainty, but I hardly ever shop in northern Baja. I would imagine any major appliance store would offer Whirlpool. Electra? The membership discount stores?

Quote:
Originally posted by larryC
Quote:

So does my sears, but how much power does your Whirlpool use in a day? I suspect in the summer months it uses more than 450 watts.

I can't put a number on the the wattage used for the summer, but don't recall any problems affecting my solar power system. The insulation box and venting feature increases efficiency and conserves power.

Note: I wish I could find the dang photos I took of the fridge and box, but of course I can't find them right now. I must have titled them with some other heading then 'fridge' :rolleyes:

The best I can do for now is this one ...the fridge is extreme left...stainless steel front.

Keeps the beers icy cold.

Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 9-1-2010 at 05:00 AM

beer and chocolate...WOW!!!

Quote:

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-1-2010 at 05:12 AM

Chocolate and beer?

Chocolate and beer are incredible together.

You may be surprised how well these beverages complement filled chocolates, bringing out the best flavors in each.

And isn't bringing out the best in each other what romance is all about?

[Edited on 9-1-2010 by Pompano]

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.