BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: bad news - plane down - if anyone south hears anything pls relay
BajaNews
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 10-17-2010 at 09:54 PM
UPDATE: Four medical volunteers killed in Mexico plane crash were on aid mission

http://www.sanluisobispo.com/2010/10/16/1331364/slo-county-s...

Updated: 5:34 pm Sunday, Oct. 17, 2010

Mexican authorities say four people on a humanitarian mission from San Luis Obispo County were killed when their plane crashed in Baja California, news media there reported Saturday.

Roger Lyon of Cayucos piloted the plane, with Drs. James Thornton and Graciela Sarmiento — both of Arroyo Grande — and medic and Cal Poly student Andrew Thiel aboard.

Baja California state's civil protection director, Alfredo Escobedo, said the plane apparently hit a 3,900-foot (1,200-meter) hill and then slid down to a mesa. He said authorities had recovered three bodies and were working to remove the fourth from the wreckage.

The Beechcraft A36 was on a flight from Ensenada to San Quintin when it disappeared Friday. Searchers found the plane Saturday in rough terrain about 30 miles (50 kilometers) south of Ensenada, said Victor Jones, president of the Flying Samaritans organization.

Baja California state's civil protection director, Alfredo Escobedo, said the plane apparently hit a 3,900-foot (1,200-meter) hill and then slid down to a mesa. He said authorities had recovered three bodies and were working to remove the fourth from the wreckage.

Rescuers found the wreckage Saturday after the plane was reported missing Friday, the director of the state of Baja California’s Civil Protection Agency told the Diario Rotativo newspaper.

The paper reports that the wreckage was found about 25 miles outside Ensenada and just over 90 miles from Tijuana.

The team was on its way to San Quintín — a small town in a coastal valley about 90 miles south of Ensenada — with the group Flying Samaritans.

The news website Ensenada.net reported that their plane was last tracked by a military installation south of the city, but had lost contact after 7:30 p.m. Friday. Local news media reported dense fog in the mountainous area.

They were aboard a 1973 Beechcraft Bonanza A36 with a tail number of N212DB, authorities told Diario Rotativo.

The Federal Aviation Administration says that plane was registered to Lyon.

A North Coast attorney since 1975, Lyon campaigned for preserving that area’s undeveloped coastal lands, more recently working on the deal to preserve the 82,000-acre Hearst Ranch in San Simeon.

He had also served as legal counsel to the services districts in Cambria and San Simeon, and for a time was a school board member.

Stephen Hearst, vice president of Hearst Corp. and great-grandson of the late media magnate William Randolph Hearst, said Saturday that he still hadn’t gotten confirmation of the death of his attorney and longtime friend.

“It would be a devastating blow for many, many people, including me,” Hearst said Saturday afternoon. County Supervisor Bruce Gibson confirmed that Lyon was to have left early Friday, taking the doctors to a very remote area of Mexico.

“Roger is an excellent pilot, instrument-rated. His plane was well-equipped and well-maintained,” Gibson said. “I talked to him Friday morning, and he knew it was going to be foggy.”

Lyon and his wife, Susan, owned and operated Cottontail Creek Ranch, raising avocados and oranges and running a bed-and-breakfast “ranch stay.” They were involved in many charitable and nonprofit endeavors. He had two sons, Michael and Kristopher.

As a young man, Lyon had been a successful, competitive swimmer. He was well known on the North Coast for being athletic and for being a windsurfer.

Surgeon made trips

James Thornton, a plastic surgeon whose office was in San Luis Obispo, served with Flying Samaritans for 20 years, said his wife, Christine. He would make two trips a year — one in April and again in October.

“It was something he loved to do,” she said Saturday night from her Arroyo Grande home. “He took great satisfaction helping people who had no other options.”

Thornton treated people with debilitating problems, such as cleft palates, serious burns or clubbed hands, Christine Thornton said.

He would start work early on a Saturday and continue until there were no more patients for that day, sometimes going until midnight, she explained.

Thornton had two daughters, Elizabeth, an attorney in Washington, D.C., and 17-year-old Alexandra, who attends Mission College Prep High School in San Luis Obispo.

His wife said Thornton was always aware of the risk he took traveling to far-flung towns in Mexico. “He did not like the plane rides. He used to tell me they were really bumpy. He knew the risk, but he was committed to going.”

Volunteer at A.G.

Graciela Sarmiento — who practiced at Community Health Centers of the Central Coast’s Oceano office — was known for often volunteering her time and services to help out the Arroyo Grande High School’s athletic program.

Arroyo Grande High Athletic Director Dwight MacDonald recalls her as a very “kind and generous person. “It’s a tragedy. She was a wonderful person who volunteered her time to help others,” MacDonald added. “She was going down there to do a good deed and help people out. It’s just so sad.”

Med school ahead

Andrew Thiel was a biology student at Cal Poly, according to its student database. His father, Mark, said his son was going to attend medical school soon.

“He wouldn’t have been going on this trip if he didn’t care about people,” Mark Thiel said from the family’s home in the small town of Linden, east of Stockton.

“He wanted to do this. He left behind a very loving and caring large family and siblings. He’s going to be greatly missed.”

Thiel was a four-sport athlete and valedictorian at Linden High School.

“He was anything anybody asked him to be, did everything anyone asked him to do, and more,” Mark Thiel said.

Mark Thiel said that his other son, Garrett, was originally scheduled to go on the trip with his brother, but decided instead to go in November.

--

Photo: Roger Lyon of Cayucos is seen in this 2007 photo. He was the pilot of a plane that crashed in Mexico on Friday October 15, 2010 while on a humanitarian medical mission. All four people onboard the plane were killed. By David Middlecamp.

roger-lyon-cayucos.jpg - 27kB

BajaNews
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 10-17-2010 at 09:56 PM
Mexico plane crash kills 4 on medical aid mission

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/article/ALeqM5iAi4NaZO3-...

TIJUANA, Mexico (AP) — A light plane carrying four U.S. citizens on a medical aid flight crashed in Baja California, killing all four aboard, Mexican authorities said Sunday.

The Beechcraft A36 was on a flight from Ensenada to San Quintin when it disappeared Friday. Searchers found the plane Saturday in rough terrain about 30 miles (50 kilometers) south of Ensenada, said Victor Jones, president of the Flying Samaritans organization.

Those aboard were all from California — pilot Roger Lyon of Cayucos, Drs. Graciela Sarmiento and James Thornton of Arroyo Grande and medic Andrew Thiel, a student in San Luis Obispo.

The San Luis Obispo Tribune reported that Lyon was a leading attorney for the Hearst newspaper family and recently worked on the deal to preserve the 82,000-acre Hearst Ranch that was built by late media magnate William Randolph Hearst in San Simeon.

Thornton was a plastic surgeon who had been with the Flying Samaritans for 20 years, making two trips annually to treat people with such conditions as cleft palates, disfiguring burns or clubbed hands, the newspaper said. Sarmiento practiced medicine at a community health center and Thiel was a biology student who hoped to attend medical school.

The Flying Samaritans is an all-volunteer organization that transports medical personnel to at least 17 clinics in Baja California.

Escobedo said the plane that went down was one of three on a mission from the San Luis Obispo area.

BajaNews
Super Moderator

[*] posted on 10-17-2010 at 09:59 PM
Plane Crash Kills Four Locals

http://www.kcba.com/Global/story.asp?S=13339206

Updated: Oct 17, 2010 5:39 PM

SAN LUIS OBISPO, Calif-- Family members, close friends and patients are mourning the death of four volunteers from San Luis Obispo county who were killed in a plane crash in Mexico.

All four were volunteers of "Flying Samaritans." They were on their way to Baja California, on a mission to provide free medical care to families in need.

It was a shock and a tragedy and we're still trying to wrap our minds around it. Said Jane Adrian, Friend of Dr. Sarmiento, victim. Family and close friends are in disbelief over the tragic loss of four "flying Samaritans" volunteers.

They died Friday when their plane crashed in heavy fog about thirty miles outside Ensenada.On board was Doctor Graciela Sarmiento of Arroyo Grande who goes by "Chela."

"Her lifelong dream has been to help people less fortunate put her power of love and friendship into those less fortunate in our community, " said Adrian.

Doctor James Thornton-- a plastic surgeon-- had been involved with Flying Samaritans for several years and was passionate about helping improve the lives of children and families in Mexico.

"Just all kinds of issues they had no access to medical care there and he would help and he would come back and be very excited about what they did and looking forward to going back again." Said Christine Thornton, wife of Dr. Thornton, victim.

Andrew Thiel--a medic-- and cal poly graduate was applying to medical schools. "His selfless service he was always striving to help other people no matter what. never asked of anything for himself." Said Garrett Theil, brother of Andrew Theil.

And at the controls of the plane was roger Lyon of Cayucos who supervisor Bruce Gibson calls a good friend whose done remarkable things for san Luis Obispo county and will be missed by many people.

Family members are working with Mexican authorities to get the remains of their loved ones back home for funeral services.

bryanmckenzie
Senior Nomad

Mood: Hot & humid --- not hot & dry.

[*] posted on 10-18-2010 at 10:34 AM
Appreciating the terrain ...

First, my condolences to the families of the 4 brave souls who gave their lives to help others. And also to the members of the Flying Samaritans. Well said Irene & Mulegena.

This story also really affected me and I wanted to know more. To understand how such a seemingly simply flight could go wrong. Using Google Earth I charted a straight line between the air fields. And, yes, I know, a straight line is a big assumption. But given a marine fog layer and the mountainous terrain ahead, I can see how this could happen.

Pilots, please feel free to jump in here and elaborate or correct me. The thing is that I cannot locate a 3900-foot (1200-meter) hill anywhere near this flight line. THOUGHTS?

Again, my sincerest wishes go out to those who knew the victims.

[Edited on 2010-10-18 by bryanmckenzie]

[Edited on 10-18-2010 by BajaNomad]
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 10-18-2010 at 10:56 AM
Sage Advice

As my Old Flight Instructor often said, though it wasn't original, " Remember that Altitude is like money in the Bank. More is Better ".

Having ALMOST enough is never good.
Graham
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-18-2010 at 11:37 AM

I was deeply moved reading this letter from Dr. Joseph Kuntze, President of the Gold Coast Chapter of the Flying Samaritans to his fellow chapter members. What a wonderful message of dedication, passion and leadership in this tragic circumstance.

“I lost four friends Friday
Four wonderful human beings on a mercy flight to help the truly poor in Baja California were tragically killed when the small plane they were traveling in inexplicably crashed in a remote area of Baja California. Dr. James Thorton, Dr. Graciela Sarmiento, Roger Lyon and Andrew Thiel gave up their time and were flying down at their own expense to provide free medical care to the migrant farm worker and laborers in San Quintin, Baja Norte, Mexico.

Jim was a talented plastic surgeon who was involved in this project from its inception in 1985. He had never missed a clinic and devoted countless hours to reconstructing burn victims, repairing birth defects, restoring hand function and removing disfiguring blemishes so that those whom fortune frowned upon could live better lives. Graciela devoted her time and left her family here to give medical aid to those who had nowhere else to turn. At home she continued to give to the less fortunate through her practice with CHC. Roger was a sports legend at USC and a successful attorney who sacrificed his law practice and flew us down in his own airplane, never refusing a call. His son Chris, a local emergency room physician of whom unrelentingly proud, led the search and rescue effort and located the wreckage. Paramedic Andrew was just beginning his life and yet was willing to climb into that airplane to help others.

The Flying Samaritans family is devastated by this loss and yet know that our pain is nothing compared to those who have lost husbands, fathers, wives, mothers and sons. Our hearts ache with you and our prayers and thoughts go out to you. It is a comfort to us to know that they gave their lives doing something they loved; something they felt was important and something that was of service to others.

In a time when it is difficult to find heroes; when our sports figures are doping cheaters and our public figures are involved in scandal after scandal I can point to these four when my grand children ask me who is a hero.
It would be a dishonor to their memory to turn our backs on our brothers and sisters in Mexico. We were not deterred by prejudice and bigotry in America, we were not deterred by floods and power failures… we are not deterred by narcoterroists and we will not be deterred by this unfortunate and tragic accident. The next clinic WILL BE HELD in November.
The world lost four friends Friday."

“Amen I say to you, what ever you did for one of these the least of My brethren, you did for Me.”

capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 10-18-2010 at 12:24 PM

i can't for the life of me understand how/why he didn't get over 4000' headed 30 miles south before he hit the ridge. altimeter setting error or?
he was experienced and IFR rated. even fully loaded he could be above that in 8 minutes and 120 kts indicated forward speed in a 500 ft / min climb. simply too tragic for expression.

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
bryanmckenzie
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-18-2010 at 02:33 PM

Hi Captain Mike:

:?: I'm not a pilot. But this has been puzzling me, too. While Google Earth is a wonderful tool, it's not failsafe. However, I give you these two observations from a novice: (1) hovering over surrounding peaks/ridges for GE elevations, I cannot find anything over about 3,400 feet, not the 3,900 claimed by civil official Alfredo Escobedo; (2) I re-drew the flightpath with a setting of a bit over 1600 meters (5200 feet) and ran smack dab into a ridge.

I confirmed this using the Baja Almanac (2009 ed.). Nothing along the spine that runs from La Bufadora towards the Southeast is this high. The nearest 3,900-ish foor ridge is well east of Highway 1.

:o Could it be that elevation data in this area is bad???

I find it hard to believe that this could be the case given that you guys have been flying the peninsula long before us earthlings ever had a road to drive on.

Puzzled.

Quote:
Originally posted by capt. mike
i can't for the life of me understand how/why he didn't get over 4000' headed 30 miles south before he hit the ridge. altimeter setting error or?
he was experienced and IFR rated. even fully loaded he could be above that in 8 minutes and 120 kts indicated forward speed in a 500 ft / min climb. simply too tragic for expression.

[Edited on 10-18-2010 by BajaNomad]
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-18-2010 at 02:42 PM

Mike: My First Impression is Altmeter setting when he was doing his Takeoff Check. Could have been distracted for an instance and made an error.

Skeet

Bryan . I am going to check some of my old Charts and see if there is some error .
Skeet
Ken Bondy
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Mellow

[*] posted on 10-18-2010 at 02:50 PM

Que lastima!

carpe diem!
bryanmckenzie
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-18-2010 at 03:01 PM

Thanks Skeet. Excellent idea. Maybe the official was simply provided with a piece of bad information. I cannot believe a topographical error of 500 (!) feet in 3400. That is almost 15% error!

Quote:
Originally posted by Skeet/Loreto
Mike: My First Impression is Altmeter setting when he was doing his Takeoff Check. Could have been distracted for an instance and made an error.

Skeet

Bryan . I am going to check some of my old Charts and see if there is some error .
Skeet

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness.”
-Mark Twain
Samuel Langhorne Clemens (November 30, 1835 – April 21, 1910)
oxxo
Super Nomad

Mood: If I was feeling any better, I'd be twins!

[*] posted on 10-18-2010 at 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skeet/Loreto

Wouldn't his altimeter be set to approx. "0" in Ensenada?

I'm not a pilot. Don't y'all use pressure altimeters? Why the necessity to "set" an altimeter?

I often "flew" my buddy's twin engine Cessna once he got it in the air. As I recall, terrain showed up on radar, fog or not.

I don't know how this could happen.
Ken Bondy
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Mellow

[*] posted on 10-18-2010 at 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by oxxo
I'm not a pilot. Don't y'all use pressure altimeters? Why the necessity to "set" an altimeter?

The pilot obtains the local altimeter reading in inches (mm) of mercury and sets that into a dial on the altimeter. The altimeter instrument calibrates that setting to altitude.

carpe diem!
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-18-2010 at 03:58 PM

yes as per Ken's explanation.
and if you can't get an "official" barometric setting from ground, tower or clearance delivery to put into the Kolsman's window you have to set to to read the field's known elevation.

there is simply no way to explain what happened to this poor soul.
for sure he could have, should have been higher.

once coming back from hermosillo to Tucson we were in and out of the crag and clag in january and just maintaining VRF but staying out of ice, the airway i was on req'd a min enroute altitude elevation of 13,500 but 15,000 north bound if IFR, and i knew i was close to but higher than Mt. Wrightson's 11,000 ft peak. i just went higher anyway for a bit of comfort and TUS approach confirmed i was clear of cumulus granite on radar. scary though you have to really watch out!

\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

LancairDriver
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 10-18-2010 at 04:41 PM

The FAA Accident report out today lists the plane as going in 18 miles south of Ensenada, not 30 as previously reported. Looking at the CH-22 chart, the highest peak about 18 to 20 miles south out on V1 is 3526 feet. Depending on how heavy he actually was, the shorter distance, if correct, could explain not having the altitude to clear.After these peaks, he would have been home free, as the terrain drops much lower.
Skeet/Loreto
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-18-2010 at 05:05 PM

It seems to me that he made an error in his climbing and he thought he was further than he actually was at the time.

God bless him and his passsengers. May they rest in peace.
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-19-2010 at 02:48 AM

George - reminds me of when i was working in san diego 1990-1992 commuting to Brown Field often in my mooney, and Reba McIntire's jet and band crashed right into Otay climbing east at night from SDM while picking up their IFR enroute while VFR, hit clouds and proceeded right into 3990 ft rocks. in a fricking jet! all he needed to do was study a sectional and become aware of terrain to east.

capt. mike
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 10-19-2010 at 03:07 AM

http://ensenada.net/noticias/nota.php?id=18758

teadust
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 10-19-2010 at 10:43 AM

(From http://mlguide.blogspot.com/2010/10/rosarito-beach-message-t...)

from Mayor Hugo Torres
Mayor Torres would like to convey to you and all Rosarito Flying Samaritans his deep condolences for the loss of your colleagues in last week's plane crash south of Ensenada. Your group has done such excellent work here, both by providing your free clinic and by being a valuable part of the community in so many other ways.

He is saddened by the loss of life of these U.S. Samaritans on one of the group's many mercy missions in Mexico. Please always contact his office when he can be assistance.

Very Best Regards,
Ron Raposa (on behalf of Mayor Hugo Torres)
Ron Raposa
Rosarito Residence: 661-100-6177
Cell: (619)948-3740
ronraposa@hotmail.com
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-19-2010 at 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by LancairDriver
The FAA Accident report out today lists the plane as going in 18 miles south of Ensenada, not 30 as previously reported. Looking at the CH-22 chart, the highest peak about 18 to 20 miles south out on V1 is 3526 feet. Depending on how heavy he actually was, the shorter distance, if correct, could explain not having the altitude to clear.After these peaks, he would have been home free, as the terrain drops much lower.

A very sad incident indeed! I am sorry for the family and friends for their loss!

I have been fortunate to have flown twice in Baja in small planes... once with Capt. Mike and the other time with Doug Bowles, out from Alfonsina's... A couple years ago, Doug and his passengers (including his grandson) flew into a Mountain near Palm Springs, in bad weather... This stuff happens far too much! Bummer big time!

[Edited on 10-19-2010 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.