Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4
Author: Subject: Northern Neighbor - Canada
mojo_norte
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-18-2011 at 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pompano
I love going to Canada. I have a lake cottage in far north Canada and a US home on a river that is the US-Canada/Ontario border, so I make about a zillon trips a year to that country.

Curiosity questions...

How is Canadian border immigration?

How many miles do you put on your RV per annum ?
Howard
Super Nomad

Mood: I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done.

[*] posted on 2-18-2011 at 08:14 PM

Canada has Canadian Geese. Much nicer than American Geese.

Is there really American Geese?

We don't stop playing because we grow old;
we grow old because we stop playing
George Bernard Shaw

Lista
Junior Nomad

Mood: (:

[*] posted on 2-18-2011 at 08:35 PM

I alway see a big sign on my way home from Baja that says Rigby Idaho, home of television......

but then of course, there is also "free taters for out of staters" sign..
some interesting info--

Rigby is most famous for being the "birthplace of television", a title the city can attribute to a high school student named Philo Taylor Farnsworth. Farnsworth drew up his first blue-prints of a television while he was a Jefferson County resident. Later he invented the vacuum tube television display. Original tubes from Farnsworth's early experiments were on display at the Rigby High School for many years. They are now held by the Jefferson County Museum in Rigby. A section of the former Yellowstone highway, passing through the community, has been named in Farnsworth's honor.

Rigby is the birthplace of Larry Wilson, a Pro Football Hall of Fame member who played safety for 13 seasons for the St. Louis Cardinals of the National Football League.

Vardis Fisher, a famous and influential atheist author, is from the rural Annis area near Rigby. He attended and graduated from Rigby High School.

Rigby is also the home of Wayne Quinton, who invented the treadmill and over thirty biomedical devices.
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-18-2011 at 08:53 PM

Pompano, I guess the gas truck finally showed up ..... but i am glad he was late - those were very intresting tidbits about Canada...

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-18-2011 at 09:44 PM

A&W Root Beer must be big in Canada. We saw them everywhere. So I looked it up. They were started down the road a ways, in Lodi, CA.

----------------------------------------

We have a Canadian on my team at work. He always finishes his sentences by raising the pitch of his voice. All statements sound like questions. It's really very peculiar. They're not all like that, though. Alex Trabeque sounds normal.
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 2-19-2011 at 07:12 AM

Other than the "EH" thing, the Canadians I've met and worked with are just like the folks in the US, all sorts, sizes and shapes.;)
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 2-19-2011 at 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mojo_norte
Quote:
Originally posted by Pompano
I love going to Canada. I have a lake cottage in far north Canada and a US home on a river that is the US-Canada/Ontario border, so I make about a zillon trips a year to that country.

Curiosity questions...

How is Canadian border immigration?

How many miles do you put on your RV per annum ?

mojo_norte, Canadian Customs are thorough and pretty much like our US agents in the same area...polite, but professional. If you are not breaking any of their entry laws, you will have no problems whatsoever. If you have been convicted of a crime within the last few years, you may be sent back...i.e...a DUI will get you turned back, for instance.

I was only turned back once when I tried out my 'How Canada Really Got It's Name' joke.

How many miles do I put on my motorhome?..odd question for things about Canada? I very seldom take the motorhome to Canada as I use a pickup/fifth wheel//boat combo mostly when Up North. In other travels I suppose I put on 15 to 20 thousand a year?? Could be more..it's one of those things you really don't want to know.

Lista...on that sign in Rigby, Idaho...I've seen it often coming south from my northern home to Baja. Always makes me think of France, Russia, and Germany saying the airplane originated there..rather than at Kitty Hawk. Or french fries in Saratoga, NY race track...or Oysters Rockerfeller at...well, you get the picture, right? :yes:

And on that note, I invented the only diet that really works...Key Lime Pie, beer, and pizza.

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 2-19-2011 at 07:58 AM

ah!! the u.s.a. "the land of the FEE" ..was a great place for a while!!!
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-19-2011 at 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by captkw
ah!! the u.s.a. "the land of the FEE" ..was a great place for a while!!!

This thread is about Canada.

captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 2-19-2011 at 08:17 AM

OOPss
Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-19-2011 at 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Howard
Canada has Canadian Geese. Much nicer than American Geese.

Is there really American Geese?

Howard, wild geese have NO nationality. We could call them 'nomads', I suppose. They are all migratory birds, flying north in summer and south in winter. Some of them fly as far north as the Arctic Circle, and some as far south as Mexico.

There are multiple types of geese from; Canada geese, Snow geese, speckle belly geese, to blue geese and more depending on what part of North America you travel.

About 25 kinds of geese live in various parts of the world. Thirteen kinds of wild geese live in the United States and Canada.

The Canada goose (Honker) is the best-known goose of North America. Canadian geese have a broad white band across its throat and cheeks. It ranges from Labrador and the Arctic Ocean to Mexico.

Honkers that are hatched in Canada are much more 'orderly' than their USA counterparts. :yes: ..as seen in the photo below: a group feeding in a stubble field in Saskatchewan. Ten-hut! By the numbers! Eyes front, wings back!

This makes them so much easier to line up for a group 'shot'. :rolleyes:

Honkers of Manitoba, Canada..with 2 Nomads...a few years ago.

The Honkers below are all USA hatched.

Howard
Super Nomad

Mood: I'd rather regret the things I've done than regret the things I haven't done.

[*] posted on 2-19-2011 at 10:01 AM

Sr. Pompano

Thank you so much for the lesson on Geese. I am now ready for Jeopardy and if the category on Geese ever comes up, I'm set!

I am sorry for this slight hi-jack but something has been really bothering me for years. "Why do you drive on a parkway and park on a driveway?"

The reason I ask this of you as I feel you are all knowing and wise beyond your years. Anyone who is so knowledgeable on Geese can certainly help me on that burning question! :biggrin:

We don't stop playing because we grow old;
we grow old because we stop playing
George Bernard Shaw

Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-19-2011 at 10:33 AM

Howard...I am a direct descendant of 'Karnak the All-Knowing' from the Johnny Carson show.

For instance..I can see that answering your question on American v.s. Canadian geese was a huge mistake. :spingrin:

[Edited on 2-19-2011 by Pompano]

Marc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Waiting

[*] posted on 2-19-2011 at 12:19 PM

You really must have a lot of time on your hands.
Marc
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-19-2011 at 12:26 PM

To answer the question the entire world is asking, yes, Canada has an Army, and no, Canada doesn’t know about it. Canadians are known for their peacefulness and politeness in distressing situations, such as during a war or hockey playoffs. The world looks to Canada for international peace-keepers, since they possess no weapons other than snow shovels, and their jovial accent and flannel clothing are comforting.
BajaGringo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Let's have a BBQ!

[*] posted on 2-19-2011 at 12:38 PM

Here are some more...

Trans-Canada Hwy is the longest national highway in the world, 7604 km

The world's highest tide is in Canada, Bay of Fundy, Nova Scotia (16.1 m)

USA buys more oil from Canada that from Saudi Arabia

Canada is comprised of six time zones
Marc
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-19-2011 at 01:35 PM

And let us not forget that Canada is the USA's largest National Park.:spingrin::spingrin:
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 2-19-2011 at 01:50 PM

----------and Vancouver, BC is one of the most beautiful cities in the world, and a joy to stay in.
BajaGringo
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Let's have a BBQ!

[*] posted on 2-19-2011 at 03:29 PM

In 1999 the Supreme Court of Canada ruled that lap dancing was legal...

Pompano
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 2-19-2011 at 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Marc
You really must have a lot of time on your hands.

On my hands, no. I certainly do have lots of time, but never waste a moment.

This is a direct result of having made it that way.

Stay tuned for the next post on how to decoy Canadian honkers using willow blinds. :rolleyes:

Pages:  1  2    4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.