Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4  5
Author: Subject: 5th ANNUAL PRESIDENTS DAY RIDE REPORTS
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 2-22-2011 at 02:49 PM

Group leaders of trips like this do take on some responsibility for group safety. Ya, people did not pay for a tour, but some participants probably came with an expectation that someone was leading the group. If that was not the case, the trip organizer(s) should have put disclaimers in their emails and nomad posts saying that the trip was "dog eat dog everybody for themselves."

When I am in wilderness with group of mixed abilities/knowledge (or any group), I always make sure people in group know what to do if they get separated from group. I would not participate in any group that did not have basic safety in mind.

Glad nobody died. Sounds like the military saved the day. Perhaps we can ship those boys to stanland to find that OBL that our GIs can't find! Sounds like Tim needs a wilderness navigation lesson!
racheldarlin
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-22-2011 at 03:00 PM

David

I agree. I rarely travel with those I don't know. With your maps etc. you would be the designated navigator:lol::lol: Although there would be a second to keep you honest. If I travel with someone I don't know I will politely find out his/her strengths/weaknesses. In Baja, if they didn't have water I would make sure they did before we left base.

Barry

At the end of every trip, I think a informal debriefing/critique should take place over beers. What did we need that we didn't have? Who was the weak link and how could he/she be made stronger or better equipped? Blah, blah. And there is a difference between a drill sergeant and a leader. As a Ranger or just a buddy you would be the latter.

Lou

I knew I would catch heat for my replies and I am not trying to hurt your feelings. You got the guy home and kudos to all for that. I just saw glaring errors that should be noted for next year.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 2-22-2011 at 03:06 PM

Maybe see how the President's Day event got started, and see it is only a fun and casual run... originally to Shell Island on Saturday and Matomi Canyon on Sunday... the only hiking was short distances not far from our 4x4s...

2001: http://vivabaja.com/shell and http://vivabaja.com/matomi

2004: http://vivabaja.com/204

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

BajaRob
Senior Nomad

Mood: Life is good

[*] posted on 2-22-2011 at 03:09 PM

You two Genius Monday Morning Quarterbacks just don't get it. We don't do the "Trailboss" thingy here. We all take responsibility for ourselves and all the others.
racheldarlin
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-22-2011 at 03:10 PM

Rob

Again

You did a great job in saving the guy.
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 2-22-2011 at 03:31 PM

If the truth be known, it sounds to me like Rachael and the Goat really do need somebody to take care of them-------and that is fine, but I think it is THEIR responsibility to let the other folks in any group with them know about how potentially helpless they could be------these folks could sue you-------lordy, the nanny-state mentality makes me shudder--------what have some of us become????????? :no:

Barry
BajaRob
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-22-2011 at 03:35 PM
Barry

Thank you and you will be most welcome on any future trips.
racheldarlin
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-22-2011 at 03:45 PM

OOOOOh

I hurt some feelings
BajaRob
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-22-2011 at 04:01 PM

You did not hurt my feelings. I was there and I know what we did. It's what we always do. We watch out for and take care of our trailmates. It's just frustrating when wannabes who wern't there want to pass judgement. I'm done
Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-22-2011 at 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by racheldarlin
OOOOOh

I hurt some feelings

Rachael-------No, that could not be further from the truth. What you said does not "hurt our feelings", it is just amazing to some of us when taken in context. But I assume you are sincere.

I'm done too.

I love that whole area below the Sierra San Pedro Martir, and it's magnificant canyons-------BIG country!!! Easy to get micro-lost in, and have been many times------that is part of it's charm.

Barry
surfer jim
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-22-2011 at 04:20 PM

I THOUGHT I was just asking a simple question while waiting for more photos/trip details to come in. :(

Wonder where this is headed now......:rolleyes:
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-22-2011 at 04:23 PM

Jim, I think it is done... ;)

All's well that ends well...

I am only sorry that I wasn't able to be there this year... that way goat and others could blame me for someone walking off (I am used to it here on Nomad)!:rolleyes:

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

racheldarlin
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-22-2011 at 04:29 PM

Jim

I learned early on you cannot say good morning in this forum without starting an argument.

Done
Barry A.
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-22-2011 at 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by racheldarlin
Jim

I learned early on you cannot say good morning in this forum without starting an argument.

Done

------and just WHAT do you mean by THAT???????

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

(Now done, fini, end-----out of here)
racheldarlin
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-22-2011 at 04:48 PM

Touche:lol:
BajaWarrior
Super Nomad

Mood: Anxious to get south

[*] posted on 2-22-2011 at 05:05 PM

This thread is already ruined by a few that we're not even there so how can they judge? An unfortunate event happened that was very serious to those of us who attended and we dealt with it in every positive way. This thread is to share our experiences this past weekend and not up to debate so get the HEdoublehockeysticks off.

Pictures and story to follow...
Sample: Heading out to our destination in Diablo Canyon

Haven't had a bad trip yet....
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 2-22-2011 at 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Barry A.
If the truth be known, it sounds to me like Rachael and the Goat really do need somebody to take care of them
---

ma ma?

ma ma!?

MA MA !
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 2-22-2011 at 05:31 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaWarrior
This thread is already ruined by a few that we're not even there so how can they judge? An unfortunate event happened that was very serious to those of us who attended and we dealt with it in every positive way. This thread is to share our experiences this past weekend and not up to debate so get the HEdoublehockeysticks off.

Pictures and story to follow...
Sample: Heading out to our destination in Diablo Canyon

Chuck, right below where you click to uplaod photos onto Photobucket, can you click this:
Customize your upload options
and select at least one size bigger photo?
All these will fit on Nomad without stretching the screen, 640x480 is the friendliest I think... They do NOT need to be below 50 kbs when coming from Photobucket. The photo above is only 221 pixels wide.

100x75
160x120
320x240
640x480
800x600

[Edited on 2-23-2011 by David K]

bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 2-22-2011 at 05:45 PM

Some of the gang at our first stop.

Clouds obscuring Diablo and other mountains from our second stop.

As you can see, this is not a secret place up winding obscure trails, It's typical baja dirt roads all the way. In fact the canyon is visited by 100+ people every month of the year, year in and year out.

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
BajaWarrior
Super Nomad

Mood: Anxious to get south

[*] posted on 2-22-2011 at 05:54 PM

DK,

That was only a cell phone shot, the rest are on my wife's camera which her son Geoff took over 200 photos, pretty much got everything and everyone.

Haven't had a bad trip yet....
 Pages:  1  2    4  5

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.