Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: La Fonda Rip Of supporters
Herb
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-4-2004 at 10:26 AM

I agree with DanO's last post that different people will come away with different opionions about a place. The fact is that no business will stay in business unless the majority of the people who go there have a positive experience.

But I also think that no one should rush to try to discredit the validity of someone sharing information about their bad experiences with a place just because you've never had a bad one there. After all, that is one of the main things I looks for in a Baja Board is for people to share their experences, good or bad, to help me decide on places to try.

I've never been charged more than the stated price for anything there, never been robbed and never seen that rats. However, I've met Bernie, Doug and Cyndarouh and cannot imagine a reason in the world they would make up their experiences, so I'm willing to believe they have happened. And there have been enough "happenings" at La Fonda to convince me of one thing: Nice guy or not, the owner is not a good manager and the place is not well run. You can explain away one bad incident as a rogue employee, but not a pattern as has been demonstrated by the numerous complaints posted here and elsewhere. That is a reflection of leadership. Case in point... How many of you have ever been "ripped-off" at the El Rosario gas station or the Baja Cactus Motel? I'm sure it could happen, but you would be hard pressed to find enough stories to show a pattern.

I personally believe the food is very good, the view is awesome and the rooms are funky/cute. With that said, I rarely go there anymore simply because I believe it is over priced by Mexican standards for everything. I live within walking dinstance of the Redondo Beach Pier and can get tasty $20 seafood meals with killer ocean views without ever starting up my car's engine. I'm also not particularly fond (no pun intended) of the loud obnoxious clientele that they typically attract. (Last time I ate brunch there, there was a family complaining about how much Mexican food was being served.) Still, I have frequently taken first time baja visitors and guests there just because I know that it is "what they are looking for" in a Baja "experience."

To each his own...

But please keep the reviews coming!
Mike Humfreville
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-4-2004 at 01:07 PM
The Bottom Line

to me is:

I know the habits of La Fonda and if I continue to go there I know what to watch for and can take care of my own problems.

The value of this thread is to make OTHERS aware of what to watch for, not just to bad mouth a place many of us opt for.

Just be aware of the situations you might get into there.

[Edited on 9-4-2004 by Mike Humfreville]
FrankO
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-4-2004 at 01:58 PM

Maybe I came across a bit harsh in that previous reply. That happens on occassion. Actually there is a couple who rent out some pretty awesome private rooms. They are in the place behind the big stone wall halfway between the two hotels. You drive up to their place by going thru La Misions parking lot. Dimytri knows them, he had actually referred them to me.
DanO
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-4-2004 at 02:40 PM

That sounds like Colonel Lyons', the place with the big lion on the wall. My brother stayed there once a long time ago. They have a huge spotlight that they sometimes use at night to illuminate certain, uh, shenanigans going on down on the beach. Not that I would know about such things, but I have this friend . . . ;)
Dave
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-6-2004 at 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by FrankO
Maybe I came across a bit harsh in that previous reply. That happens on occassion. Actually there is a couple who rent out some pretty awesome private rooms. They are in the place behind the big stone wall halfway between the two hotels. You drive up to their place by going thru La Misions parking lot. Dimytri knows them, he had actually referred them to me.

Hacienda Del Encanto, owned by Bob and Pat Gee. Some of the nicest folks you will ever meet.

Phone# 011-52-646-0310

JESSE
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-6-2004 at 12:36 PM

I guess we can all agree that La Fonda gets a "C" rating as far as service, a "C+" as far as food, and an "A" as far as athmosphere and view. Many will keep going there based on the view alone, but with my experience in Baja restaurants i can honestly say the place has some of the worse waiters around, slightly better than what you find at any of those nasty Tijuana and Rosarito bars.

The place is much too nice and they seem to be making enough money to hire some decent waiters, otherwise, what good is the view and the food if you can get ripped off or discriminated against.

Just my two cents.
DanO
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-6-2004 at 01:44 PM

I'd give the food a solid B. 2+2=4.
pappy
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-11-2004 at 01:27 AM

my eperiences there have been bad service, decent fod and one heck of a view.the funk factor rates high as well.yes, have had issues with the bill, but easily resolved.the ultimate rip is the unfortunate experience my friends had there when they were robbed at gunpoint in the lot and relieved of their vehicle and all that it contained.fortunately, about a week later they got their truck back in good shape, sans the contents..
Barney
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-23-2004 at 08:28 PM

My wife and I have had many of great times at La Fomda, althought we have not been there in a year or so, I realize things can, and will change over time. So what is the truth about Demitri and La Fonda? I know he wanted to sell the place the last couple of times we were there.
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-23-2004 at 09:39 PM
The truth about Dimitri

cannot be told by anyone other than Dimitri, no ?:light:
The rest falls under Novela or Soap opera in gringo terms!:light::light:
They still have the second best chips in Baja.:biggrin:
elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-23-2004 at 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jrbaja

They still have the second best chips in Baja.:biggrin:

Let us in, JR! Por favor!:saint:

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-24-2004 at 07:54 AM

Audrey and I have had many meals at La Fonda over the years. Even when they were in the old place, the food and view were outstanding. Waiters were "so-so". And we never, ever, got the runaround with our bill. The new La Fonda is a big improvement in service over the old place, for sure. I'd still go there any time I can! That Sunday brunch is unreal.... and unlimited bloody mary's included! :P
Bob H

The SAME boiling water that softens the potato hardens the egg. It's about what you are made of NOT the circumstance.
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-24-2004 at 08:51 AM
And now announcing

The best Tortilla Chips in all of Baja, drum roll please, Tomi, la cocinera in the Club Marlin, El Centenario makes the best in my opinion. Dimitris a fairly close second, and home made ones from Flaco coming in third.
I should also mention that Chipotles in Rosarito makes flavored tortillas and chips. I believe there were 3 or 4 different flavors including chipotle and other south of the border spices.
Really good but disqualified them from the competition because this was for "standard, everyday tortilla chips".
The first two took the lead because of taste and consistency in the fact that they have always been "that good" on every visit to these places.
Flaco lost points because we never knew what they would taste like although, never bad.:biggrin:
PJC
Super Nomad

Mood: Right

[*] posted on 9-28-2004 at 06:06 PM

A little slander from the whining commie-lib gallery will only incite my laughter.

Take this to the OFF-TOPIC forum and let's discuss my business dealings at length. Will you?

Quote:
Originally posted by Mexitron
Baja Blackie is a better person to ask....he seems to like the ruthless businessman type.:lol:

[Edited on 8-21-2004 by Mexitron]

Shoot, Shovel and Shut-up!

-- A simple operating practice.

‘Global warming’ has become the grand political narrative of the age, replacing Marxism as a dominant force for controlling liberty and human choices.

-- Prof. P. Stott

Time was, people warning the world \"Repent - the end is nigh!\" were snickered at as fruitcakes.

Now they own the media and run the schools.
synch
Nomad

Mood: wandering...

[*] posted on 9-29-2004 at 08:16 AM

Is La Fonda in Rosarito?
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-29-2004 at 08:27 AM
Closer to Ensenada

It's in the La Mission area and you take the Alisitos exit off the toll road. Look for lots of cars.
The people will all be inside trying to get the rest of their change.:lol:
bigzaggin
Nomad

Mood: way too ites

[*] posted on 9-29-2004 at 09:41 AM
Gringo Tax!

A few extra bucks tacked onto the tab? For years I've alloted an extra $20+ for every mission, no matter how long, knowing I'd rather get shortchanged a tad than suffer the details, calculations and arguments. Call it lazy, say I'm perpetuating bad habits, but most people I meet in Baja need $4 more than I do and I think there's a karmic exchange (i.e. more fish/surf).

GRANTED, I won't get hosed big-time and know when/where to put ye olde foot down...and maybe La Fonda is such a place. I haven't eaten there in years and rarely surf there (as I'm not on the SDSU surf team) but allz I'm sayin' is ask yourself if this much stress over a little check tampering is worth it.

Anyway, north of Ensenada....WHAT DO YOU WANT?!
Nikon
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-29-2004 at 10:18 AM

Why not wear a sign "Make Me Your b-tch" when you walk into La Fonda, and complete your image?
FrankO
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-29-2004 at 11:56 AM

Now that's funny.:lol::lol::lol:
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

lol.gif posted on 9-29-2004 at 03:34 PM
I thought so too.

And, after I made the earlier post, we went to Ensenada to pick up some school supplies from a certain human down there.
And, on the way home, Carol not being interested in readiing the crap on here says, "let's go to La Fonda for lunch". :lol:
So, after hiring everyone we could find outside as security guards linking hands around the truck, we braved our way into the den of bandits.
After finding a table, (there were four other tables with victims) we ordered our drinks, eyeing the probable robber/waiter and his every move suspiciously. We knew he was up to something ! After all, this is La Fonda.
Carol thought it a little strange after I placed our chairs with the backs to each other, but she has seen weirder stuff come out of me!
We then had them bring one more table so we could each have one facing any of these criminals so we would be ready for anything from any direction.
Now, we were comfortable and ready for a nice relaxing lunch.
Unfortunately, we were in the mood for prime rib sandwiches of which they didn't have any.
Obviously, the waiters families enjoy prime rib sandwiches because they had to have gone somewhere. Pretty suspicious if you ask me. Dimitri and Sara didn't know either.
So, after a pleasant conversation with a couple who had lived through a night there last year and us just having the chips and a drink, we left unscathed and paid the 30 security guards around the truck.
Only cost us about $83.00 dollars for 2 drinks without lunch but hey, the bill was right on the money and the truck was still there.
Viva Baja and the tranquility available here!:lol::lol::lol:

[Edited on 9/29/2004 by jrbaja]
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.