Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  18    20    22  23
Author: Subject: Santa Isabel Found - not joking - nomad wanted
XRPhlang
Nomad

Mood: Taco me.

[*] posted on 4-25-2011 at 07:41 AM

Yeah. Like we need a reason to go to Baja.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-25-2011 at 08:17 AM

Thanks elbeau, but like XRPhlang says, we use any excuse possible to go to Baja! Sure, going to our favorite beach may be more relaxing... but you directed us to a mystery... and we accepted the challange!

I know the feeling of needing to know, in regards to ancient sites! In December of 2008 another Nomad spotted something on Google Earth that looked like it could be the wall at a mystery site I had been searching for, thanks to Choral Pepper and Erle Stanley Gardner!

In a couple of weeks, my wife and I drove 400 miles south to see if the satellite image was indeed the lost mission site of Choral Pepper's 1966 (July) Desert Magazine story (of their Feb. trip of discovery).... IT WAS! See it: http://vivabaja.com/109

So, while your image wasn't as clear, it will be fun to go and check it out and camp a couple nights with fellow Baja Nomad amigos. Heck, maybe we will be lucky and find something there or witness an eruption of El Volcan? Maybe TW will get through to the La Olvidada mine, 6 miles from El Volcan?

All good stuff!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-25-2011 at 08:40 AM

Ditto on what Phil and DK said. Personally I like any adventure to the desert or especially Baja and it gives me a reason for my brother to come since he hasn't been to Baja in almost 4 years. The thing that really interest me is the corral. I would really like to find a way up to see it better and hopefully I will.

Phil, I will be leaving Hemit Thursday morning between 8 and 9. I'm not stopping by Rancho Concepcion I'll do that later. So what ever the drive time is to the El Volcan wash is when I'll get there. Probably stop to eat at El Rosario on the way.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 4-25-2011 at 08:49 AM

Hemet to Border: 2 hrs. (or less)
Border to El Rosario: 5 hours
El Rosario to El Volcan: 2 hours

BajaCat wants to caravan with us on Friday, so we will see you there late Friday afternoon. What was the firewood situation in the arroyo...? Shall we bring a bundle to add? Friday night and Saturday night campfires will be nice, and it could be pretty cool in the wash.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-25-2011 at 09:58 AM

I don't remember seeing any firewood in the wash. I'm bringing some. I need to make a note to myself to remember. So I should figure 10 hours. That includes a stop to eat. Hopefully we'll get there before dark.

Phil are going to the wash and wait or to El Marmol? When you drop into the wash the road out the other side toward the mine is a little down stream like. When we were there in March we continued down the wash and around the 1st bend and parked.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 4-25-2011 at 10:20 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
I don't remember seeing any firewood in the wash. I'm bringing some. I need to make a note to myself to remember. So I should figure 10 hours. That includes a stop to eat. Hopefully we'll get there before dark.

Phil are going to the wash and wait or to El Marmol? When you drop into the wash the road out the other side toward the mine is a little down stream like. When we were there in March we continued down the wash and around the 1st bend and parked.

Yes, exactly... the road drops into the wash... follows it a short distance, then climbs out the other side... passes the white slope of tiny springs and heads for La Olvidada.

So, we will first continue down the wash to find you... if you are not there (before any technical four wheeling)... we will look for you by the white slope... across the road from the slope is where we camped in 2000... a big area... just no sand.

Got an email from my passenger this morning and he is still all set to go... See you Friday afternoon!

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-25-2011 at 11:00 AM

DK if you don't see us at either of the places we may still be down the road toward the mine. After we inspect the X area and take pictures we're going toward the mine to check out the washout. If it's not too bad we may work on it. If it's really bad we may park and walk to the mine. I think it's a mile past the washout. The area across from the road from the slope sounds like a good place to camp.
elbeau
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-25-2011 at 11:57 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
There is no drinkable water at El Marmol... it was trucked in 10 miles from San Agustin. There was no road to El Volcan from El Marmol when the town was active, just a mule trail... so don't think they got water from there. Perhaps there was a well of water used for cleaning/ bathing purposes (as mentioned). In fact, near the airport for El Marmol there is/ was a windmill... so that may have been the town well mentioned (about 1-2 miles away)?

I also found this: "There was plenty of water at Santa Catarina and many fruit trees and gardens. The next stop was St. Augustine, twelve miles from the quarry. Here could be found good drinking and cooking water. The water at the onyx quarry generally had such a high soda content that we used the water at St. Augustine -- hauling it back to camp in large wooden buckets."

-MEMORIES OF EARLY DAYS IN BAJA CALIFORNIA
By Margaret Brown Baldwin
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-25-2011 at 12:10 PM

Saw Ken Cook this morning and he is definitely planning to be there Friday - hopefully by around 11am - total of 3 jeeps.

I gave him you're regrets Blanca.

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
BAJACAT
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-25-2011 at 08:39 PM

FROM the wash (El Volcan) to the Olvidada mine how many miles...
My truck is ready, I will be pulling my camping gear tomorrow, still uncertain on what to bring to eat...DAvid I will call you on thursday to arrange the time on Friday..On Friday Im game on what ever time you want to leave...
regarless what ever we find this trip is going to be fun, I need a break from work..

BAJA IS WHAT YOU WANTED TO BE, FUN,DANGEROUS,INCREDIBLE, REMOTE, EXOTIC..JUST GO AND HAVE FUN.....
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 4-25-2011 at 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BAJACAT
FROM the wash (El Volcan) to the Olvidada mine how many miles...
My truck is ready, I will be pulling my camping gear tomorrow, still uncertain on what to bring to eat...DAvid I will call you on thursday to arrange the time on Friday..On Friday Im game on what ever time you want to leave...
regarless what ever we find this trip is going to be fun, I need a break from work..

Hi Jose... it is just over 6 miles from Volcan arroyo to La Olvidada mine.

I sent you a u2u the other day with some details on Friday meet up...

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 4-25-2011 at 10:14 PM
Co-rider to Santa Isabel is....

The Baja Nomad who will be traveling south to El Volcan on the Lost Mission Search is 'El Vergel' (Vern), who I met a few years ago when Baja Rob took Baja Angel and I over to Vern's beach house.

Vern and his wife Mary ('roxyoso') attended Viva Baja Cactus in 2006:

Mary ('roxyoso'), Vern ('El Vergel') and Jay ('TacoFelix')

TW, bajalou, dtbushpilot, BajaCat, Ken Cooke, 'XRPhlang', David K, and El Vergel... are the Nomads on the search that I can think of right now (one of Ken's Jeep drivers joined Nomad, too... right?

Fun weekend in the desert away from civilization for two nights! Maybe a lost mission, too?:light::bounce::cool:

[Edited on 4-26-2011 by David K]

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 4-25-2011 at 10:31 PM
Satellite overview of April 30 search

El Volcan to target 'site b'

Showing La Olvidada

Possible campsites (arroyo bend or across from white slope)

Hike down arroyo (or drive?) north.

Almost there

Reverse view back south from the site.

The site west side of arroyo. GPS is 30º01.42', -114º46.29' (WGS84). Elevation is 1,701'.

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-26-2011 at 09:28 AM

DK in the 5th picture up, with the White Slope marker in the lower right, near the center left is a grassy looking spot in the wash. I parked my truck there. The rocks were too big to drive over. Maybe there is a place to get around it. We didn't spend a lot of time looking because of our time frame of getting to the mission site and we were in only one truck without a winch.
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-26-2011 at 09:39 AM

Jose, I have plenty of grits I'll share with everyone. I make them plain, mixed with bacon or sausage and or cheeze. Grits with tomatoes are one of my favorites. We can have a good old fashion grits cookout. Elbeau is really missing out now.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 4-26-2011 at 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
Jose, I have plenty of grits I'll share with everyone. I make them plain, mixed with bacon or sausage and or cheeze. Grits with tomatoes are one of my favorites. We can have a good old fashion grits cookout. Elbeau is really missing out now.

Oh wow... and Vern and I are emailing about what kind of cereal we like for breakfast! One of my favorite movies is 'My Cousin Vinny' and besides the limited slip differential discussion, the education about grits was fun, too!

XRPhlang
Nomad

Mood: Taco me.

[*] posted on 4-26-2011 at 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
TW, How about Red beans and grits with poached eggs and hollandaise?, or Shrimp & Grits with Red Gravy?

Do you have any guess on when you'll be making the turn to El Marmol from the Hwy? Thurs. afternoon maybe?
elbeau
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-26-2011 at 09:54 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by XRPhlang
Quote:
Originally posted by TW
TW, How about Red beans and grits with poached eggs and hollandaise?, or Shrimp & Grits with Red Gravy?

You guys are cruel! I was born down South in Shreveport and spent a couple years in Mississippi too. I LOVE grits, shrimp, beans, gravy....cruel...cruel...cruel...
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-26-2011 at 09:58 AM

I hope to leave Hemit by 8am Thursday. As per DK it's a 9 hour drive and we'll eat along the way somewhere so that makes it 10 hours to get there. So a 5:30 to 6pm time frame should work provided nothing holds us up.

Phil you bring the beans and we'll pig out for sure.

[Edited on 4-26-2011 by TW]
elbeau
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-26-2011 at 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by elbeau
Quote:
Originally posted by XRPhlang
Quote:
Originally posted by TW

You guys are cruel! I was born down South in Shreveport and spent a couple years in Mississippi too. I LOVE grits, shrimp, beans, gravy....cruel...cruel...cruel...

No matter what your trip does or doesn't turn up, like I've said before, I'm going to make it down there myself just for the fun of it if nothing else. I'm thinking of planing a visit this fall and doing an "El Tule Trail" backpacking trip...hopefully making it all the way from El Volcan to the gulf coast. If any of you come along I'll cook you up the best black beans & rice you've ever had! I can show anybody in Mexico how to REALLY eat beans!
 Pages:  1  ..  18    20    22  23

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.