Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  ..  4    6    8  ..  23
Author: Subject: Santa Isabel Found - not joking - nomad wanted
elbeau
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-11-2011 at 06:07 PM

DK just heard back from TW...

Sadly, his initial report is that all we're looking at is rocks and brush. He apparently too 26 photos of the site, which will be nice to help me understand what I'm actually looking at compared to what I thought I was looking at...and perhaps avoid the necessity of that CAT scan I feel like I might need.

Apparently the feature that I called the "Stone Corral" was about 100' above the arroyo basin and not easily accessible (which would obviously make it a hard sell as a corral), and the site I was calling the "Mission Site" is simply two ravines coming together with rocks and brush.

TW, I do hope the trip was still fun and not burdensome. You have my sincere apology if you feel like I led you on. It really wasn't my intent. You definitely lived up to your status as a Baha Nomad and for that I salute you.

Thanks, and please forward the photos at your earliest convenience.
surfer jim
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-11-2011 at 06:49 PM

So this story won't end now (it has been an interesting topic)......MAYBE he did find something (gold...treasure...who can say) and is coming back with a bigger vehicle to haul all the loot out....:bounce:
Bajatripper
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-13-2011 at 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by surfer jim
So this story won't end now (it has been an interesting topic)......MAYBE he did find something (gold...treasure...who can say) and is coming back with a bigger vehicle to haul all the loot out....:bounce:

You may be right, but we'll never hear about it!:lol:
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-14-2011 at 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by elbeau
DK just heard back from TW...

Sadly, his initial report is that all we're looking at is rocks and brush. He apparently too 26 photos of the site, which will be nice to help me understand what I'm actually looking at compared to what I thought I was looking at...and perhaps avoid the necessity of that CAT scan I feel like I might need.

Apparently the feature that I called the "Stone Corral" was about 100' above the arroyo basin and not easily accessible (which would obviously make it a hard sell as a corral), and the site I was calling the "Mission Site" is simply two ravines coming together with rocks and brush.

TW, I do hope the trip was still fun and not burdensome. You have my sincere apology if you feel like I led you on. It really wasn't my intent. You definitely lived up to your status as a Baha Nomad and for that I salute you.

Thanks, and please forward the photos at your earliest convenience.

Bill and I walked about 4 miles down the El Volcan wash to the site area of the corral and site A and B of the steps and caves. We did not see any caves and the steps were actaully gullies where the water ran off and down to the arroyo. The corral area is on top of the east side of the wash and the wall up to it is maybe 100 feet straight up, there is a gullie at the north end.

I'm in San Diego now nad will do a more full report when I get home tomorrow or the next day. Pixs follow. I took 27 pixs and Bill took about the same on his digital camera. I'll post some and email all of them to DK and elbeau or anyone else interested. Basically lots of cactus and rocks, no sign of any man made structures etc.

It was a very intersting trip. We spent two hours hiking in stopping to take GPS readings and 1.5 hours coming out and about three hours on site looking around and taking pictures. The walls of the wash are very steep and we were able to climb only the west side at the second cave area across from the corral. Actually we had a pretty good time and wished we had gotten there sooner to have more day light to look around more. Got back to the truck at about 6pm just before dark.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-14-2011 at 07:42 AM

Looking forward to hearing more about your entire trip Tom! Thank you...

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

wilderone
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-14-2011 at 08:33 AM

The whole inquiry, search and findings were very intriguing. Looking forward to the pix to see how a google image compares with on-the-ground reality. From the original images, I thought sure the "steps" were "something".
As a sidenote, are the flowers blooming all over?
elbeau
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-14-2011 at 03:09 PM

Quote:

Keep the thread alive? Sure.

...but perhaps with even less credibility than I started with before.

Of course, I'm having my doubts about my Google Earth Archaeology skills, but what the heck...here's another site. I call this one the "Hydro" structure. Why Hydro? I dunno, I can't exactly tell you what it is or isn't, but whatever it is, it's in the middle of the arroyo so I'm calling it the Hydro structure.

Of course, it does resemble E.T.'s spacecraft, so maybe I should change the name.

Also, please notice the area of raised land coming in from the adjoining water channel. To me this seems really strange. Of course, you might expect to have sediment build up at the base of a channel like this, but I don't think it should naturally build up the way it appears to be.

Anyways, have fun:

The Raw Area:

A Few General Descriptions:

More Details:

And of course, the KML file so you can look at it in Google Earth yourself:

Hydro KML File
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 3-14-2011 at 03:31 PM

Quote:
Quote:

Keep the thread alive? Sure.

...but perhaps with even less credibility than I started with before.

Of course, I'm having my doubts about my Google Earth Archaeology skills, but what the heck...here's another site. I call this one the "Hydro" structure. Why Hydro? I dunno, I can't exactly tell you what it is or isn't, but whatever it is, it's in the middle of the arroyo so I'm calling it the Hydro structure.

Also, please notice the area of raised land coming in from the adjoining water channel. To me this seems really strange. Of course, you might expect to have sediment build up at the base of a channel like this, but I don't think it should naturally build up the way it appears to be.

Anyways, have fun:

i dunno elbow. i am doubting your analytical and critical thinking skills.
i do know you have low testosterone,... because any healthy man can easily see 2 large breasts in that photo!
elbeau
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-14-2011 at 04:24 PM

Quote:
i do know you have low testosterone,... because any healthy man can easily see 2 large breasts in that photo!

I live with my wife and four daughters...there's just not much room left for testosterone anymore :no:
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 3-14-2011 at 05:50 PM

Quote:
Quote:

I live with my wife and four daughters...there's just not much room left for testosterone anymore :no:

:lol::lol::lol::rolleyes::wow::smug::yes:;)

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 3-15-2011 at 09:33 AM
FIRST PHOTOS FROM TW

TW sent 5 photos so far, all from his friend Bill's camera.

They are numbered 6-10...

"Pix 6 and 7 show the wall up to the corral from the wash. I and Bill are in the pix for height reference."

"Pix 8 and 9 shows the north end of the previous wall where there is a gully."

"Pix 10 is the gully (stairs) at the northern cave."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Looking forward to the rest at the site TW!!

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 3-15-2011 at 10:10 AM
photo analyses

if you free yourself of all inhibitions and preconceived notions, you can see a leprechaun behind the big rock on the left (and i swear that i see elvis and a naked donald rumsfeld hiding behind that big cardon on the upper slope.

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
TW sent 5 photos so far, all from his friend Bill's camera.

They are numbered 6-10...

"Pix 6 and 7 show the wall up to the corral from the wash. I and Bill are in the pix for height reference."

mcfez
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-15-2011 at 10:18 AM

Thanks TW and DavidK for spending your time researching this. There was a thrill for a minute, I admit.

Old people are like the old cars, made of some tough stuff. May show a little rust, but good as gold on the inside.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 3-15-2011 at 10:38 AM

Well... it will be even more interesting when we see the photos of the site above #10... TW told me they hiked up there to where elbeau sees arches, fountains, and the mission building.

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 3-15-2011 at 12:17 PM

DK I should have them tomorrow, they are in my camera. You should have all 20 now. Let me know if your missing any.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 3-15-2011 at 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
DK I should have them tomorrow, they are in my camera. You should have all 20 now. Let me know if your missing any.

Hi Tom,

Yes... I just downloaded them all and now will post with your captions... Thank you very much... and I am sure elbeau appreciates it as well!

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 3-15-2011 at 12:24 PM
PHOTOS #1-5 sent from TW

Pix 1 truck parked just around the bend from the road crossing the wash. We're at 29-59-56x114-46-06 on Google Earth. Rocks prevented from going further.

Pix 2 a road or walk or ???? found on the way, maybe 2/3 of the way on left going in. Didn't get a GPS on it.

Pix 3 Looking at east side of wash at corral area.

Pix 4 Same with Bill.

Pix 5 Same view from further north down wash.

Pictures 11-20 next!

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 3-15-2011 at 12:31 PM
PHOTOS 11-15 from TW

Pix 11 is left of northern most cave with stairs (gully from pix 10) across from corral on Google Earth.

Pix 12 is right of same.

Pix 13 is gully (stairs of southern cave across from corral).

Pix 14 Right of gully.

Pix 15 is left of gully.

11 & 12 pixs taken from 30-01-09x114-46-18 on my GPS.
Pix 13, 14 & 15 taken from 30-01-13x114-46-15 on my GPS.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 3-15-2011 at 12:52 PM
PHOTOS 16-20 sent from TW

Pix 16 Wall of the wash where arches should be with decorated cave and courtyard above. The pix is looking down the wash from 30-01-05x114-46-32 to 30-00-58x114-46-20. It slopes down as you can see and I think someone could hike up at the low end and further up for a more complete investigation for what's on top.

Pix 17 Same wall and same pix location but straight at the wall.

Pix 18 Same camera spot but looking a little further to the NW, zoomed in.

Pix 19 Same camera spot looking a little further to the NW.

Pix 20 Same camera spot but wide (zoomed out).

Pix 20 & 16 show the wall of the wash from 30-01-07 x 114-46-34 to 30-00-58 x 114-46-20 on Google Earth.
With Google Earth point north up and the wall runs left to right in a southeast direction to a bend.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Excellent Job TW... Thank you from all of us 'Lost Mission' fans!!!!

elbeau
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-15-2011 at 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Quote:
Originally posted by TW

Hi Tom,

Yes... I just downloaded them all and now will post with your captions... Thank you very much... and I am sure elbeau appreciates it as well!

I absolutely do! The only reason I haven't replied sooner is because I'm home sick and staring obsessively at them trying to figure out who stole my lost civilization :?:

You're awesome Tom and Bill. Thanks for all the work and photos.
 Pages:  1  ..  4    6    8  ..  23

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.