BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4
Author: Subject: How will high fuel costs affect your future vacations or travels?
mcfez
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-7-2011 at 10:11 PM

Lou.....your Bronco little short on fuel leaving my place last week?

100531siphoning.jpg - 28kB

Old people are like the old cars, made of some tough stuff. May show a little rust, but good as gold on the inside.
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 4-8-2011 at 06:00 AM

if you track gas $$ increases over time w/ inflation and using a bench of say 1975 - you'll find that gas has gone up less than food and many other commodities relatively speaking.

gas has stayed below the inflation rate typically.

Milk has gone up more.

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 4-8-2011 at 06:09 AM

looking forward to a hot summer and good waves in baja. gas is over $1 cheaper in baja so be like capt mike and just go....

Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 4-8-2011 at 06:11 AM

The barrel price of oil just now went up to $111 barrel.

A 30% increase in crude oil prices since the Libyan conflict began.

How will these fuel costs,which are rising steadily, affect your future vacations or travels?

[Edited on 4-8-2011 by Pompano]

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 4-8-2011 at 06:51 AM

Pompano, No long distance travel/vacation plans till next winter. Expect fuel prices to be even higher by then. If people don't have to travel they'll just stay home. Feel sorry for people that have long commutes. The cost of everything else will also be going up. Inflation!!! The govt. does not include energy and food costs when factoring inflation. That's real voodoo economics. The only things losing value are real estate and gas guzzlers.
Diver
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-8-2011 at 06:55 AM

$4.15 per gallon for diesel in WA.
Cost over $135 to fill my truck versus $90 last year.
For our 3 cars it averages over $600 more per month than last year !!
$7,200 per year more than last year; THAT is not chump change !!

It's not the cost of fuel for a trip to Baja that keeps us from going; it's the increased monthly costs.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 4-8-2011 at 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Diver

For our 3 cars it averages over $600 more per month than last year !!
$7,200 per year more than last year; THAT is not chump change !!

crikey! that's a lot of fuel! what are you running? a fleet of taxis?
vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 4-8-2011 at 09:43 AM

Another.:no::no:

auction [1600x1200].jpg - 46kB

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com
fishabductor
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-8-2011 at 09:50 AM

my father now leaves the truck/trailer at home and drives a small car on trips. He figures he can stay in a hotel for cheaper than it costs to travel per day in a 8mph rig. However this is only true for short trips, on a long trip it is cheaper to haul the trailer.
Cypress
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-8-2011 at 11:51 AM

With the restrictions placed on drilling in the US imposed by the current administration, the fuel/energy situation has zero chance of improving. We now have "change". And "hope"? Buy a lottery ticket!:(
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-8-2011 at 12:15 PM
give a hoot don't pollute

Quote:
Originally posted by Cypress
With the restrictions placed on drilling in the US imposed by the current administration, the fuel/energy situation has zero chance of improving. We now have "change". And "hope"? Buy a lottery ticket!:(

is this thread about cost of fuel for your RV??????

it is RIDICULOUS that you want to despoil natural areas so you can drive your gas hogs to enjoy natural areas.

i value open space and wilderness more than my ability to drive a gas hog in open space and wilderness. would rather ride my bike to the natural area than drive an RV to the natural area and find it scarred by drilling derricks, pumps, pipelines and strip mines.

increased drilling/production in US would not produce enough petroleum to change global commodity pricing. the multinationals would still price petroleum on basis of world market. drilling in our national parks, wildlife preserves and sensitive coastal areas will not result in lower petroleum prices, but will cause irreversible harm and scarring of land.

face it, boys and girls, the world has billions of people, population is increasing, and the remaining petroleum is increasingly expensive to produce and reserves are diminishing. fuel prices will always be volatile, and will always be increasing.

ween yourself from petroleum! think global, act local! yes we can! hope! peace out!

drive your prius to the SOC and rent a boat when you arrive. you don't need to burn petroleum to haul your own boat when local boats are available for hire.

be green! reduce your carbon footprint!
Cypress
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-8-2011 at 01:11 PM

Jeez! Somehow life goe's on. And what's gonna happen to all of us that don't own a "Prius"? Sorry to ask. But it's a simple question.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-8-2011 at 01:27 PM

Quote:
And what's gonna happen to all of us that don't own a "Prius"? Sorry to ask. But it's a simple question.

don't understand your question. i suppose nothing will "happen to you."

your choice to buy a gas guzzler was your choice. whatever "happens to you" was due to your choosing.
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 4-8-2011 at 02:00 PM

In my case, I will soon be selling (read: 'giving away') my gas 460 in the 35' RV in favor of a shorter diesel that burns diesel/oganic. I'll be the camper smelling faintly of french fries... with 50 drooling dogs hot on my caboose.

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
Cypress
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-8-2011 at 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666
Quote:
And what's gonna happen to all of us that don't own a "Prius"? Sorry to ask. But it's a simple question.

don't understand your question. i suppose nothing will "happen to you."

your choice to buy a gas guzzler was your choice. whatever "happens to you" was due to your choosing.

Thanks, That's my point. "My choosing"! I can live with that.:biggrin:
windgrrl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 4-8-2011 at 03:03 PM

Will continue to drive the speed limit.:smug: Possibly leave the towed parked in Baja next season.

When the way comes to an end, then change. Having changed, you pass through.
~ I-Ching
Baja12valve
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-8-2011 at 05:33 PM

Personally, I am all for high gas (and water) prices. To initiate any change, to initiate any thinking, we need to get hit where it hurts, the wallet. WAY too many unnecessary gas hogs on the road, WAY too much unnecessary consumption. We just need to get it out of our heads that cheap gas is some sort of right. Drilling for more, opening up more open space trying to maintain the status quo is not the answer. I spent 4 weeks in Europe last Fall, plenty of cars and traffic over there with sky high prices.
My real question is what will be the profits on the oil companies and how much tax will they pay. I will gladly bet better than even money that profits will be at record levels and they will pay zero tax. That part is criminal and I do have a problem with that.
mcfez
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-9-2011 at 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by mtgoat666
Quote:

is this thread about cost of fuel for your RV??????

it is RIDICULOUS that you want to despoil natural areas so you can drive your gas hogs to enjoy natural areas.

i value open space and wilderness more than my ability to drive a gas hog in open space and wilderness. would rather ride my bike to the natural area than drive an RV to the natural area and find it scarred by drilling derricks, pumps, pipelines and strip mines.

increased drilling/production in US would not produce enough petroleum to change global commodity pricing. the multinationals would still price petroleum on basis of world market. drilling in our national parks, wildlife preserves and sensitive coastal areas will not result in lower petroleum prices, but will cause irreversible harm and scarring of land.

face it, boys and girls, the world has billions of people, population is increasing, and the remaining petroleum is increasingly expensive to produce and reserves are diminishing. fuel prices will always be volatile, and will always be increasing.

ween yourself from petroleum! think global, act local! yes we can! hope! peace out!

drive your prius to the SOC and rent a boat when you arrive. you don't need to burn petroleum to haul your own boat when local boats are available for hire.

be green! reduce your carbon footprint!

I bet you dont car pool goat.
Much less own a electric vehicle.

BTW: RV abbreviation not only for a Motor home....boats is in the classification too. Should we rent out motocross and quads too?

Oh Gods! But you dont mind riding your bike thru downtown where you live.....you know....where land was once virgin and pristine. Your statements are so "out there".

men.jpg - 42kB

Old people are like the old cars, made of some tough stuff. May show a little rust, but good as gold on the inside.
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 4-9-2011 at 08:17 AM
How about truckers

Should ask the truckers... about how they deal with it....

Bought a Peugeot diesel in 1975, think it was around .19-.21 a gallon... at the time..

Great car, put over 300,000 on it... with only repair being the generator... had to make a new bushing for it... the cost to have repaired at agency was ridiculous... seems they wanted like 600 for the part, plus labor... of three hours ...

Sold it when the clutch went out, down in San Diego... a fixer upper.. would drive all day at 75 mph and get 34 mpg... also used it for wood cutting, had a box trailer .... which could hold a cord...

Was always fun to see guys, with 4 x 4 up cutting wood on logging roads... and I showed up with a diesel car...... pulling a trailer... worked fine.. upgraded to a Doge 3/4 with racks and the trailer... ended up cutting more wood than I could split by myself... had to take "rounds" back down... and that was fun loading all by ones self...

Aaaahhhhhh the cutting of wood to heat your home... something I don't miss to much ... still liked being out there, early morning .... with my old dog.. Trouble.. a Border Collie/McNab mix... excellent dog... RIP ....

[Edited on 4-9-2011 by wessongroup]

Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-9-2011 at 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by capt. mike
if you track gas $$ increases over time w/ inflation and using a bench of say 1975 - you'll find that gas has gone up less than food and many other commodities relatively speaking.

gas has stayed below the inflation rate typically.

Milk has gone up more.

Mike, if you are tracking the rising cost of fuel -vs- the rising cost of milk... you have way too much time on your hands. But, I like it!

The SAME boiling water that softens the potato hardens the egg. It's about what you are made of NOT the circumstance.
 Pages:  1  2    4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.