BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3  
Author: Subject: How will high fuel costs affect your future vacations or travels?
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 4-9-2011 at 09:21 AM
1975 re-visited

just for fun... went looking.. and found:

Todays price at the Ralph's just down the hill.. 3.62/gallon

and gas at the Mobil station also just down the hill ... 4.24 for regular this morning... gas vs milk ... think ya can get to work, with out a glass of milk... not too sure about getting to work without a gallon of gas...

inflation, controlled by gas prices... if all your dough has to go to the tank.... then the other prices will stay somewhat lower.... as one only has so much money to spend each paycheck... pretty basic stuff... called priorities..

Think a lot of folks are just about to hit the wall.... IMHO

[Edited on 4-9-2011 by wessongroup]

watizname
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-9-2011 at 10:18 AM

Yesterday, filling my truck in Ojai. $4.09/ gal. 80 bucks from about half to full. How's that "hope and change" workin out for ya. Not quite the change I had hoped for.:cool:
bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-9-2011 at 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by capt. mike
if you track gas $$ increases over time w/ inflation and using a bench of say 1975 - you'll find that gas has gone up less than food and many other commodities relatively speaking.

gas has stayed below the inflation rate typically.

Milk has gone up more.

I guess I need to learn you approach to math.

$1.57 a gal for milk to around $3.00 a gal is just around doubled in 35 years.

$ .57 a gal for gas to around $4.00 a gal is over 7 times the cost in the same 35 years.

Consumer Price Index for All Urban Consumers: All Items

Jan 1975 --- 52.300
Jan 2011 --- 221.062

CPI - a little over 4 times 1975
Gasoline - a bit over 7 times 1974

[Edited on 4-9-2011 by bajalou]

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-10-2011 at 06:15 AM

Don't worry Capt. Mike never lets facts interfere with his opinions.
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 4-10-2011 at 07:31 AM

i stand corrected on the milk.

i think i got it confused with another consumable that was referred to in another news item.

any way my point stands that gas cost goes up along with everything else and not as fast as many other items.

the current spike is a vagary too if you consider we had $4 two years ago and it went back to $2.60

now it's high 3s and it can just as easlily go back lower.

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
Marc
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Waiting

[*] posted on 4-11-2011 at 07:20 PM

I drive a $120K Porsche. I really don't care what it costs to drive it.:cool::cool::cool:
Mexican gas feeds my Tundra.:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-11-2011 at 07:32 PM

Unfortunately comparing the price of milk to gasoline is a somewhat moot point in that the dairy industry is subsidized by the US Government. I assumed this was common knowledge:?: but maybe not.

For more info do a Google Search or here is a brief by the Cato Institute:
http://www.cato.org/pub_display.php?pub_id=6764

Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 4-12-2011 at 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajaboy
Unfortunately comparing the price of milk to gasoline is a somewhat moot point in that the dairy industry is subsidized by the US Government. I assumed this was common knowledge:?: but maybe not.

(I'll shanghai my fuel price question for a quick note: As you probably know, Bajaboy, there is little in US agriculture that is NOT subsidized by our government these days...sugar beets, milk, cheese, wheat, corn, ethanol fuel, etc. etc....the list is long. A great injustice to our capitalist democracy and economy are huge zero-interest loans & payoffs to any 'needy' who sign up with opportunist lawyers as a 'farmer', but who don't actually farm or know how to farm. They do know how to take advantage of our 'system', though..and do very well.)

Back to the price of fuel and how it will affect your travel plans....the national average has gone up a penny a day for the last month. Now at $3.79 average nationwide.

Maybe Nomads should have a lottery as to when it will get to $5 gallon?

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 4-12-2011 at 09:03 AM

Great point about our Farmers.... as they really get hit on these fuel increases big time... using fuel in ag production is essential.. and increased costs can only be passed on... which is fair in my book...

And would offer.. we still get some of the best food and fiber in the world, that is produced within the United States... and given all costs increases over the years.... food is still the best buy one can get... even if bacon is up to 5.35 a pound, and milk 3.62 or so a gallon... we still get to eat awfully damn good in the united states... every time I think about walking down the isles in a super market here in the States... with the unbelievable selection ... well, lets just say it is some kind of feat the farming industry accomplishes ....

A shout out for the farmer... who can still produce given the difficult conditions they face.. a hard job... glad there are those that still love it...

Yeah, I know some get paid not to plant ... what's perfect...

[Edited on 4-12-2011 by wessongroup]

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 4-12-2011 at 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajaboy

petroleum is subsidized too! our military is mostly focused on countries with oil (iraq, libya, middle east, etc.)
i think that petroleum production is the MOST SUBSIDIZED industry in our economy,... not even counting the numerous tax breaks and loopholes established for upstream and downstream petroleum.

if all of us drove econo cars, put solar on our roofs, wore a sweater to cut the cold, and quit building mcmmansions, we could cut our defense spending by 70%

how many young soldiers died in the last 10 years to supply oil for your RVs? do you sleep well at night knowing that american teenagers are dieing every week in Iraq so you can get cheap petroleum?

[Edited on 4-12-2011 by mtgoat666]
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 4-12-2011 at 06:12 PM
Sweet (Crude) Dreams.

Sleeping OK, Thanks.

Can't think of a better reason to take over the Third-World than keeping my Dodge V-8s pumping.

It doesn't seem to be working that well, though.

Maybe we need to Kill more. OK by me.

Allah will take care of them.

Virgins and all.

No Beer, though.

Personally, I'd rather have a Worn-**** that's been around the Block for eternity if it meant there would still be Heineken.

BTW, Goatchit, criticizing Ol Skeeter's verbiage looks a little STUPID when you write things like "DIEING".

[Edited on 4-13-2011 by MrBillM]
mojo_norte
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-12-2011 at 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MrBillM
Sleeping OK, Thanks.

Can't think of a better reason to take over the Third-World than keeping my Dodge V-8s pumping.

It doesn't seem to be working that well, though.

Maybe we need to Kill more. OK by me.

Allah will take care of them.

Virgins and all.

No Beer, though.

Personally, I'd rather have a Worn-**** that's been around the Block for eternity if it meant there would still be Heineken.

BTW, Goatchit, criticizing Ol Skeeter's verbiage looks a little STUPID when you write things like "DIEING".

[Edited on 4-13-2011 by MrBillM]

Huh?! - Am I missing something? - I find your outlook on foreign policy a bit out of line and scary
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 4-13-2011 at 05:17 AM

"if all of us drove econo cars, put solar on our roofs, wore a sweater to cut the cold, and quit building mcmmansions, we could cut our defense spending by 70%"

???????? where the hell do you get that statistic?:lol::lol::lol::P

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 4-13-2011 at 05:26 AM

Foreign policy, now there's a topic of disscussion... :lol::lol::lol::lol:

ELINVESTIG8R
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-13-2011 at 05:57 AM

I remember in the very early 70's the price of a gallon of gasoline on a military base where I was stationed cost me .25 cents a gallon. WTF is happening now. Let’s get off our duff and start drilling for more oil here in our own country and get more refineries up and going. How does our government expect us poor working class people to afford the prices we are currently paying to get to work to keep our country running? Something is going to have to give soon.

Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 4-13-2011 at 06:11 AM

The fact is, other than those fortunate few with money to burn, the rising fuel costs will put a damper on all activities that require travel. The extra cash spent on fuel will leave less for other activities. Life is full of "Ifs". The current US policy on drilling for oil is.... What is the current US policy on drilling for oil? For that matter, is there a current US policy on anything?
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 4-13-2011 at 06:16 AM

Ditto's .. Cyporess

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 4-13-2011 at 06:32 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cypress
The fact is, other than those fortunate few with money to burn, the rising fuel costs will put a damper on all activities that require travel. The extra cash spent on fuel will leave less for other activities. Life is full of "Ifs". The current US policy on drilling for oil is.... What is the current US policy on drilling for oil? For that matter, is there a current US policy on anything?

i see you poor people were pretty stupid to buy gas guzzlers.

drilling for oil in anwr will not affect the price at the pump.

sell your stupid gas guzzlers, and never worry about price of gasoline again
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 4-13-2011 at 06:43 AM

mtgoat666, Do your parents know you're on the computer?:lol:
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 4-13-2011 at 07:03 AM

Hey goat what do you ride... bicycle ? or what kind of mileage do you get with what ever you drive... and what is the cost of operation per mile...

Have a Honda CRV .47/per mile, all city driving.. get about 22 mpg
Ford Crown Vic... .56/mile get 26 mpg doing 70 with the air on & a load
Cad DeVille .88/mile " "
Bronco .............. don't know, it's only for emergency.. ya know, like earthquakes and such... it's an 1986 with 214,000 on it.. an runs just fine... and parts are very cheap.. on all except the Cad..

We also have bicycles... but, I can't ride any more... we both are too old for that route... figure if it's really bad.. the kid can use the Bronco and get out of Dodge.. with that... and could just leave us here,.. that way one can make it...

It's all set up, with everything ya need for an emergecy, food, water, shelther, guns, ammo, fishing equipment, and some tools for various types of repairs.

Tanks holds 33 gallons, is full all the time.. plus have another two jerry cans that will load up on the roof for an additional few more miles...

The best mileage, 22 mpg, south bound to Mexico... staying at 55... think if I slowed down even more... might have gotten even better...

Oh, just checked with Edmunds.com ... the 4d Hatchback Pirus operational cost... .50 cents a mile.....

[Edited on 4-13-2011 by wessongroup]

[Edited on 4-13-2011 by wessongroup]

Pages:  1    3  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.