BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4
Author: Subject: How will high fuel costs affect your future vacations or travels?
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-13-2011 at 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by ELINVESTIG8R
I remember in the very early 70's the price of a gallon of gasoline on a military base where I was stationed cost me .25 cents a gallon. WTF is happening now. Let’s get off our duff and start drilling for more oil here in our own country and get more refineries up and going. How does our government expect us poor working class people to afford the prices we are currently paying to get to work to keep our country running? Something is going to have to give soon.

Do you really think a few more refineries and increased drilling is going to have a dramatic impact on the price of gasoline:?:

What you might save a few pennies per gallon and then you could afford to drive to the beach and take in the beautiful sight of offshore oil platforms. What a great idea:o

ELINVESTIG8R
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-13-2011 at 09:10 AM

Bajaboy

I have no idea what the price of gasoline would be if we drilled for more oil and opened other refineries, but I'm sure it would be more than pennies and it would surely be a step in the right direction.

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 4-13-2011 at 09:19 AM

What is sad is that basic economics is missing from public education... If demand is high, and supply is low... prices go UP.

If supply increases, prices go down!

How can more oil be a bad thing? :rolleyes:

The U.S. has greater reserves than Saudi Arabia... until fusion power or dilythium crystals are invented... we need the oil.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

monoloco
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-13-2011 at 09:32 AM

The current high price of fuel has nothing to do with supply/demand issues.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 4-13-2011 at 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
What is sad is that basic economics is missing from public education... If demand is high, and supply is low... prices go UP.

The U.S. has greater reserves than Saudi Arabia... until fusion power or dilythium crystals are invented... we need the oil.

you make a good argument for conservation, reducing demand, increasing CAFE vehicle standards, penalty taxes on gas guzzlers, more roadway dollars for mass transit and bikes, alternative energy, etc.

why not pursue conservation, and save our wild/scenic areas for enjoyment of all?

or would you prefer to drill anwr and shell island, strip mine the oil sands of CO and WY, turn the wilderness into wasteland -- all so you can drive your gas guzzler to camp next to the oil shale strip mine and enjoy the aroma blowing off the waste water ponds?
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 4-13-2011 at 10:00 AM

The more ya pump... the faster it will be gone.... think there is something called "Peak Oil" or is that another concept which is not founded in science, rather perspective... it is after all a finite resource... there is only so much...

And pushing more out the exhaust pipe can only have greater and quicker impact on other "eco systems" on the planet... in most cases negatively...

We got to think a bit harder about this issue... as it is KILLING us....

[Edited on 4-13-2011 by wessongroup]

Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-13-2011 at 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K

DK-I'm not really certain where you get your "facts" but the US does not have greater reserves than Saudi Arabia....
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_proven_oil...

An education is a beautiful thing to waste...please turn off Fox News

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 4-13-2011 at 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajaboy
DK-I'm not really certain where you get your "facts" but the US does not have greater reserves than Saudi Arabia....

I'm not so sure than the data Wikipedia shows is correct. This mornings paper has a long article on the Belridge oil field here in Kern county and they said there are 4.4 billion barrels still in the ground. That would be 25% of what Wiki says the US has. They've taken out 1.6 billion barrels since 1911 when it was discovered. It's an area 22 mile long and 2.5 miles wide. I'm sure the other Kern oil wells as well as TX, OK and Alaska and other areas have a lot.

It's my understanding that the US oil is mostly heavy and not as good in making gas as light crude which we get outside of the US.
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 4-13-2011 at 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
Quote:

I'm not so sure than the data Wikipedia shows is correct. This mornings paper has a long article on the Belridge oil field here in Kern county and they said there are 4.4 billion barrels still in the ground. That would be 25% of what Wiki says the US has. They've taken out 1.6 billion barrels since 1911 when it was discovered. It's an area 22 mile long and 2.5 miles wide. I'm sure the other Kern oil wells as well as TX, OK and Alaska and other areas have a lot.

It's my understanding that the US oil is mostly heavy and not as good in making gas as light crude which we get outside of the US.

Well, this is from the CIA:
https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/...

Regardless, I'd say it is safe to say that the US does not have more oil reserves than Saudi Arabia.

Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 4-13-2011 at 11:49 AM
I'm riding the fence on this one...

US OIL RESERVES -MIXTURE OF TRUE AND FALSE INFORMATION

http://www.snopes.com/politics/gasoline/bakken.asp

:?:

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 4-13-2011 at 11:54 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by TW
Quote:

Well, this is from the CIA:
https://www.cia.gov/library/publications/the-world-factbook/...

Regardless, I'd say it is safe to say that the US does not have more oil reserves than Saudi Arabia.

if the price of oil stays high the US can mine it's tar sands and ruin every last piece of wilderness in the process.
that should make DK happy, strip mines and toxic wastewater ponds as far as the eye can see, just like in Canada!
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 4-13-2011 at 12:11 PM

Good one Pompano ....

http://pubs.usgs.gov/fs/2008/3021/

scouter
Nomad

[*] posted on 4-13-2011 at 03:58 PM

hell everything i do takes fuel if i worry about it will just stay home so
just dont pay attention to the cost anymore....
baja829
Nomad

Mood: BAJA HAPPY

[*] posted on 4-13-2011 at 04:41 PM

Last summer we drove 4,300 miles more or less, up to Seattle, across 1/4 of Canada, back down to Baja and then East to Dallas, No. to KC, Denver, and back down to Baja, then up to San Francisco and back to Baja. Diesel cost was a little less than around $350 in our VWJetta (2002). This year we will leave Baja for New Orleans, back up to TX, KC, Santa Fe, Prescott, Dewey, Phoenix, and back to Baja. Maybe drive fewer miles, but the cost will be up, still manageable however.

On the other hand, it now costs about $147 to fill up our '99 F350 (in the U.S.) it's parked and will stay parked, maybe even sold -- no need to spend that kind of money on diesel and don't often need a truck to cross crounty on vacation.

We will probably just enjoy ourselves, for as long as we can!
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 4-13-2011 at 06:51 PM
How higher fuel costs will affect my summer travel plans.

Plan A: 35ft Motorhome with boat/trailer: 6-7 mpg

Plan B: Diesel 3500 with 34ft fifth wheel camper and boat/trailer: 13-14 mpg

I love No-Brainers.

Who's up for some lake trout and walleye dinners?

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 4-15-2011 at 11:25 AM

And what about all the folks in the "real world" who have to haul feed, wood, and building material. You can't pull a boat, camper, or anything else with a glorified golf cart. You can't travel in snow and ice with a put-put battery powered toy. Bicycles are for fun, not a primary source of transportation. I'd rather have a horse, but you've got to have hay etc. We're being forced into a bad situation by a bad govt. We'll soon fix that.:yes:
Frank
Senior Nomad

Mood: Is it time to leave yet?

[*] posted on 4-15-2011 at 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Cypress
And what about all the folks in the "real world" who have to haul feed, wood, and building material. You can't pull a boat, camper, or anything else with a glorified golf cart. You can't travel in snow and ice with a put-put battery powered toy. Bicycles are for fun, not a primary source of transportation. I'd rather have a horse, but you've got to have hay etc. We're being forced into a bad situation by a bad govt. We'll soon fix that.:yes:

I can only absorb so much of the extra expenses before it gets passed along to the end consumer...which is the rest of you driving the 40mpg vehicles.

We are all in this up to our necks....
absinvestor
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 4-15-2011 at 04:55 PM

Pompano- with your plans to head north and park for a few days and fish surrounding lakes a truck and 5th wheel is much more convenient than trying to do the same with a larger motorhome and boat. However, if one is not towing a boat there is more to the choice than fuel price. (The decision for many is not a "no brainer.") Many times we take a couple of grandkids. For them the fun of a trip is the motorhome experience. If I want to get an early start, they can sleep in, brush their teeth whenever they want, color with grandma, play games and make sundaes, use the bathroom without needing to stop etc all when grandpa continues driving. (The grandkid's parents seldom will part with the kids for over 3 wks. If we have the grandkids, Baja Sur is too far a destination to get to from Denver unless we travel several hundred miles a day.) We had a trailer but for us the cost of fuel is secondary to the fun of travel. Have a great time fishing!! Ron
 Pages:  1  2    4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.