BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: LOST MISSION EXPEDITION 2011 (PART 2 of 6, LOST MISSION PHOTOS)
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

cool.gif posted on 5-4-2011 at 10:35 PM
LOST MISSION EXPEDITION 2011 (PART 2 of 6, LOST MISSION PHOTOS)

Continued from Part 1: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=52696

Thank you for your patience...

I was stalling on the next part of my trip report to give time for the other members of our odyssey to catch up...

Where I left off in Part 1 was near the end of the 4 mile hike down Arroyo El Volcan... As we looked high up the cliffs to the location of the corral in elbeau's satellite images we could not see directly the level or semi-level area. It was out-of-sight, and some of us wished to find a way up there for a closer look... Now, if we only had a helicopter, like Erle Stanley Gardner did 40 some years ago!

bajalou had all the sites GPSed on his hand-held and I had the primary Santa Isabel site on mine... That was my goal: to get right to the spot that elbeau saw 'man-made' structures like arches, stairways, fountains, etc. If that was there, then we would look for the others places later.

On the Google Earth image, the site is just off the main arroyo, along a side gully...

Both images are looking southwest, up the side gully...

GPS of the site marked by the white ballon: GPS is 30º01.42', -114º46.29' (WGS84). Elevation is 1,701'

Here are the views as we near the final big S bend in the arroyo, see the corral area, and see the entrance to the LOST MISSION side gully (maybe call it Arroyo Santa Isabel?):

Interesting trench erosion up and over the ridge... Santa Isabel is on the other side!

That is the 'corral' area up above the cliff.

Ahead, on the left... are the formations marking the entrance to Santa Isabel arroyo!

Close up view of the rock face on the north side of the Santa Isabel arroyo, where it meets Arroyo El Volcan.

Okay, the next set of my photos I will share will be of the Santa Isabel site, and all around... :light::cool:

[Edited on 5-12-2011 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

bajafam
Senior Nomad

Mood: DLTBGYD

[*] posted on 5-5-2011 at 05:53 AM

where's my popcorn?

Check out our travel blog @
http://thefamvangurp.blogspot.com

Scentsy!! Because real life is smelly. https://itsamightysmellyworld.scentsy.us

Check out my latest article ~ https://vegbyte.com/vegan-eyeliner/

The cookbooks essential to Baja Trippin' ~ https://vegbyte.com/vegan-mexican-cookbooks/
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 5-5-2011 at 08:17 AM
Climbing into Arroyo Santa Isabel and arriving!

We turn towards Santa Isabel and begin the final few feet of the 4 mile hike!

(Vern Pic)

A dry waterfall is the only way into Arroyo Santa Isabel (Vern Pic)

Vern, José, DT, Phil and I make the climb.. and soon we see the site!

Vern photos me closing in on the site.

My GPS on 'ground zero' at the site!

To Be Continued... Photos of the site... lots! Plus much, much more of the surrounding country, La Olvidada and El Volcan Cold Water Geyser (including video)!

[Edited on 5-5-2011 by David K]

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-5-2011 at 09:34 AM

Nice buildup, Dave. Well done.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 5-5-2011 at 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe
Nice buildup, Dave. Well done.

Thank you Igor... Well, TW wrapped up his report today! He and brother Bill and bajalou did not go into Arroyo Santa Isabel as the rest of us did... so he could not reveal what we found, in there!

My dilema, do I wait for El Vergel, dtbushpoilot, BAJACAT and XRPhlang to post or catch up to the point I left off? Or, shall I go first with the lost mission photos? I already showed you the GPS was on zero feet to go, as I stood on sacred ground!

Let me think about it, and give Vern, David, José and Phil just a bit more time to post their Part 1 or Part 2 reports!

dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 5-5-2011 at 08:27 PM

You have my blessing to post DK. I may go ahead and post the true story....I know what we agreed on in camp but I'm having a hard time keeping it to myself. Having to weigh the historic significance against my own greed has been tougher than I had anticipated. Other members of the group have contacted me having the same feelings....we all want to honor the agreement that we made around the camp fire on Saturday night but question our motives.......

All I can say is that I will do my best to keep the promise that I made on Saturday night......

[Edited on 5-6-2011 by dtbushpilot]

"Life is tough".....It's even tougher if you're stupid.....
bryanmckenzie
Senior Nomad

Mood: Hot & humid --- not hot & dry.

[*] posted on 5-5-2011 at 10:37 PM

Okay. That's it! I cannot take it anymore. David, I'm driving down to San Diego tomorrow and I'm going to have to beat the story out of you. Sorry, you're the closest Nomad. See you after lunch. ;D
El Vergel
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-5-2011 at 10:49 PM

DK, you go! Keep it clean, after all we do have vested interests and obvious consequences to everyone reading these posts.
CaboDreamer
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-5-2011 at 10:54 PM

Better yet... through clan-descent means I have come across a photo of the lost mission...
bryanmckenzie
Senior Nomad

Mood: Hot & humid --- not hot & dry.

[*] posted on 5-5-2011 at 11:09 PM

Do share CaboDreamer ... I'm the biggie skeptic. Right, Beau? And hate I could not attend.

Quote:
Originally posted by CaboDreamer
Better yet... through clan-descent means I have come across a photo of the lost mission...

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow-mindedness.â€
-Mark Twain
Samuel Langhorne Clemens (November 30, 1835 – April 21, 1910)
elbeau
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-5-2011 at 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bryanmckenzie
Do share CaboDreamer ... I'm the biggie skeptic. Right, Beau? And hate I could not attend.

Quote:
Originally posted by CaboDreamer

The only thing worse than how obnoxiously skeptical Bryan is is how obnoxiously correct he is turning out to be :no:

Actually, when it's all said and done, Bryans input has been very helpful and well thought out and ultimately even appreciated by me. Thx
AmoPescar
Senior Nomad

Mood: Need a Fish Taco and a Pacifico!

[*] posted on 5-6-2011 at 12:05 AM

DON'T KEEP US IN SUSPENSE!!!!

Inquiring minds want to know!!

Michael :yes: :?: :yes: :?:
capt. mike
Elite Nomad

Mood: Sling time!

[*] posted on 5-6-2011 at 05:34 AM

you guys sound like a bunch of clucking hens at a bridge party trying to decide if you all can or should keep some secret.:yawn:

well, women CAN'T keep secrets so whatever pact you thought you made at the sacred campfire will fall faster than the drunks from last nite's cinco mayo fun.

formerly Ordained in Rev. Ewing\'s Church by Mail - busted on tax fraud.......
Now joined L. Ron Hoover\'s church of Appliantology
\"Remember there is a big difference between kneeling down and bending over....\"

www.facebook.com/michael.l.goering
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 5-6-2011 at 08:15 AM

OKAY, OKAY... :rolleyes:

I will show you the LOST MISSION OF SANTA ISABEL (according to elbeau)!

Close up from Google Earth, north at top:

Rotate and angle for 3-D effect, looking southeast:

This is what elbeau sees in the Google Earth image:

HERE is what we saw:

Close up

Now, from across the small arroyo and up the other slope:

Arroyo El Volcan is in the background

Zoom in:

THAT'S IT! (well, that's all we have agreed to show you... you should have joined us!)

Seriously, there is MUCH MUCH more to this trip...

El Vergel and BAJACAT continued up Arroyo Santa Isabel some distance, as did dtbushpilot and XRPhlang (while I was climbing the north slope for the above photos)... BAJACAT gave something to the mountain (I will let him share that with you). We all got bloodied on the brush or rocks.

BAJACAT and El Vergel continued further down Arroyo El Volcan and found bigger pools of water (photos coming).

The hike back to our camp seemed much longer, as the temperatures were higher and water was running out...

That afternoon, after a good rest, we drove up to La Olvidada mine and also the small onyx mine at El Volcan.

The next day (Sunday) we explored the El Volcan geyser and surroundings... so STAY TUNED, plenty more high adventure and photos coming!!!

woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 5-6-2011 at 08:55 AM

great story. i was kinda hoping you guys would have found something.

new leaf, again!:P

bajalou
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-6-2011 at 09:16 AM

Well, the good news first - I found my camera and the pictures are there.

Bad news (for some) - I'm heading out of San Felipe before I try to upload pictures at 100k upload speed.

So when I get to my other place - I'll share some of the secrets.

No Bad Days

\"Never argue with an idiot. People watching may not be able to tell the difference\"

\"The trouble with doing nothing is - how do I know when I\'m done?\"

Nomad Baja Interactive map

And in the San Felipe area - check out Valle Chico area
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-6-2011 at 09:28 AM

DK when you got up close to the rock formations did they look altered in any way. Over time, a long time, wind, rain and sun can change things. I'm guessing you were below me and to the north. From the hill I could not see where it came out to the El Volcan arroyo.

When or if Elbeau comes out in the fall Jose and Vern should take him to the water pools.
elbeau
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-6-2011 at 09:41 AM

Thank you DK. I have to admit, the site does look a little different in your photos than it does in my drawing:(

I'm working on the mother of all google earth files to document all this. In the very least you guys have documented this area better than anyone else ever has and I want to make that a resource for others.
TW, I'm going to make it out there, probably this fall. Jesuit gold or not, that's a beautiful arroyo!
Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 5-6-2011 at 10:22 AM

Nice adventure Dk, Lou, et al! Getting there is most of the fun anyway...hope I can join you in another lost mission trip. By the way---the treasure is buried up on Matomi peak---we packed it out in 1994 and gave it to charity. Just thought you should know.
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 5-6-2011 at 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by woody with a view
great story. i was kinda hoping you guys would have found something.

new leaf, again!:P

Thanks Woody, we did find something!: Freindship and a great time in Baja! (That's all I am allowed to say... we did take a pinky-swear oath, afterall!)

Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.