I have never heard beber used here.

Una bebida?
motoged
Elite Nomad

Mood: Gettin' Better

[*] posted on 6-24-2011 at 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Eli
I think Pinoche is a dried toasted corn cerel mix that one can make an atole type of drink out of? I think, haven't used or seen it in years. If it has another meaning, I am not aware of it, but maybe.
Panocha is the raw brown sugar one buys in rough shaped cones, common in the markets everywhere in Mexico, and it for sure has a double meaning to it.

[Edited on 6-23-2011 by Eli]

Eli,
You have to get out more often...

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=panoche

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=panocha

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=pinoche

Don't believe everything you think....
Eli
Super Nomad

Mood: Some times Observing, sometimes Oblivious.

[*] posted on 6-24-2011 at 05:17 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by motoged
Quote:
Originally posted by Eli
I think Pinoche is a dried toasted corn cerel mix that one can make an atole type of drink out of? I think, haven't used or seen it in years. If it has another meaning, I am not aware of it, but maybe.
Panocha is the raw brown sugar one buys in rough shaped cones, common in the markets everywhere in Mexico, and it for sure has a double meaning to it.

[Edited on 6-23-2011 by Eli]

Eli,
You have to get out more often...

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=panoche

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=panocha

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=pinoche

Montaged, there is much, much in this world I don't know, at first when I read your definition, I thought dang, I spelt it wrong. Well, I just looked up the spelling, and Panocha is correct, so now there are two ways to say it, at the very least..........

[Edited on 6-24-2011 by Eli]
Paula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-25-2011 at 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by lencho
Quote:
Originally posted by Paula
It is algo a tomar, Blanca.

I've always heard "algo de tomar".

Must be regional differences~~ Loreto, La Paz :biggrin:
Gypsy Jan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Depends on which way the wind is blowing

[*] posted on 6-25-2011 at 04:24 PM
Language Differences Are So Interesting

Slang, Spanglish, whatever, it is a wonderful confusing soup.

In el norte Baja, we most frequently hear, "Que quieren beber?" (And, no, I am not going to take the time to put in the correct diacriticals.

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow mindedness.”
—Mark Twain

\"La vida es dura, el corazon es puro, y cantamos hasta la madrugada.” (Life is hard, the heart is pure and we sing until dawn.)
—Kirsty MacColl, Mambo de la Luna

\"Alea iacta est.\"
—Julius Caesar
Eli
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-25-2011 at 06:30 PM

Ya no kidding Jan!
I remember one heated discussion between a Nigerian, a Jamaican and a Gringo about what we call an avocado, the Nigerian was adamant that he spoke the correct queens English calling the avocado a pear. Obviously the Gringo and the Jamacian thought he was nuts, an avocado is an avocado a pear is a whole different kind of fruit. Really, I didn't care, I just wanted to make guacamole. It is interesting to see what people will argue about. I always remind myself, "Pick your battles".

BTW, I have heard a lot, or I think this is how I hear it; "Gustas algo para tomar?", "No gustas algo de beber?", "Algo a tomar?", "Que quieres de tomar?", "Que quieres tomar?, "A beber algo?".

I have been speaking Spanglish for so many years. No one corrects me anymore, they all know what I am saying, they let it slide, so I have developed some pretty bad habits and don't even know what they are. I feel pretty good that it is seldom that one comments, "You speak Spanish well, where did you learn it", I use to get that a lot, it means you don't speak so well that it is noted as your 2nd language. ah well, I guess I can screw it up in either language, I drive my spell check nuts on the computer flipping back and forth.

[Edited on 6-26-2011 by Eli]
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 6-25-2011 at 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Eli
I remember one heated discussion between a Nigerian, a Jamaican and a Gringo about what we call an avocado, the Nigerian was adamant that he spoke the correct queens English calling the avocado a pear. Obviously the Gringo and the Jamacian thought he was nuts, an avocado is an avocado a pear is a whole different kind of fruit.

Isn't it nice when everybody's right:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avocado

[Edited on 6-26-2011 by DENNIS]
Eli
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-25-2011 at 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:
Originally posted by Eli
I remember one heated discussion between a Nigerian, a Jamaican and a Gringo about what we call an avocado, the Nigerian was adamant that he spoke the correct queens English calling the avocado a pear. Obviously the Gringo and the Jamacian thought he was nuts, an avocado is an avocado a pear is a whole different kind of fruit.

Isn't it nice when everybody's right:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Avocado

[Edited on 6-26-2011 by DENNIS]

Ya Dennis, if they would agree to be right.

Woooosh
Banned

Mood: Luminescent Waves at Rosarito Beach

[*] posted on 6-25-2011 at 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Eli
No one corrects me anymore, they all know what I am saying, they let it slide, so I have developed some pretty bad habits and don't even know what they are.

yup, me too. well except they still correct me, laugh at me, and call me pocho. no matter what version of Mexican Spanish you speak- there will always be someone around to roll their eyes. If you put someone from Boston and New Orleans together in a conversation, it would take them a while to work their American English out. Forget ebonics...

\"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing\"
1961- JFK to Canadian parliament (Edmund Burke)
Eli
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-26-2011 at 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Woooosh
Quote:
Originally posted by Eli
No one corrects me anymore, they all know what I am saying, they let it slide, so I have developed some pretty bad habits and don't even know what they are.

yup, me too. well except they still correct me, laugh at me, and call me pocho. no matter what version of Mexican Spanish you speak- there will always be someone around to roll their eyes. If you put someone from Boston and New Orleans together in a conversation, it would take them a while to work their American English out. Forget ebonics...

So, so true, the nuance of language changes everywhere we go.
If they still correct and laugh at you, I expect it is because you are a fair amount younger than me. They use to, but, now they have just given up. Nobody wants to mess with a grandma in Mexico, I expect.
fdt
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Yeah, what if it all goes right

[*] posted on 6-26-2011 at 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Eli

(oh there is another one that can get you in trouble, tienes chili, ay yi, yi), it truly is a perfectly innoncent common word, but well, I will stick with Peloncillo from now on.

This is way funny, now it's about Peloncillo wich means little bald one wich is slang for penis :lol:

You probably were meaning Piloncillo.

A well informed Baja California traveler is a smart Baja California traveler!
Eli
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-26-2011 at 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by fdt
Quote:
Originally posted by Eli

(oh there is another one that can get you in trouble, tienes chili, ay yi, yi), it truly is a perfectly innoncent common word, but well, I will stick with Peloncillo from now on.

This is way funny, now it's about Peloncillo wich means little bald one wich is slang for penis :lol:

You probably were meaning Piloncillo.

OMG, I just checked the spelling you are so right Fernando, the trouble one can get into over an e in place of a i. Being a BAD speller in both languages, thank god, I always pronounced correctly, or I would have been in big trouble. :o
bacquito
Super Nomad

Mood: jubilado

[*] posted on 12-18-2011 at 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Bondy
This all reminds me of the time I tried a literal translation of "doggy bag" in a Loreto restaurant. I asked the waiter for a "saco de perro". He of course cracked up and told me that I had just ordered, in perfect Spanish, a dog scrotum. He said they got very few orders for those. Then he explained that it would be better to ask for a "bolsa de perro" :), unless of course I actually wanted a dog scrotum. Sorry for the hijack.

[Edited on 6-23-2011 by Ken Bondy]

It reminds me of the time when I was inspecting head lettuce being packed in the field and I advised a young, pretty packer to "cuida los ojos" when I should have said "cuida las hojas" The young lady was upset!

bacquito
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.