BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3
Author: Subject: How fly fishing may save Mexico's fisheries and help boost the economy
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 7-13-2011 at 10:17 AM

We used to fish off the rocks in La Mision years ago... using fresh water gear...

We would only catch "perch" and they were small.. but, would give a good tug on 8 lb test... my Dad started me on catch and release way back in the 50's....

Keep only what you eat... and I don't like fish... to eat... go figure...

But, it is one of the most fun things to do... be outside wetting a line ...

flyfishinPam
Super Nomad

Mood: gone fishin'

[*] posted on 7-13-2011 at 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe
Major? - over 50% to monies generated by sportfishing. I doubt it will go over 10%.

I am familiar somewhat with flyfishing in baja as I belong to a club of flyfisherman and have brought groups down in the past.

It's a growing field but it's limited in it's application to baja fishing. Only a handful of species are worth pursuing this way. Requires skills that most people don't want to bother learning. Costs more to equip yourself than standard fishing. Is usually less successful in catching fish than other methods (ever try to corbina with a fly? It's a major achievement. But with fresh dead bait - no problem).

These are just some reasons.

P.S. Dennis is right that most flyfisherman exhaust their fish by not forcing the issue. I witnessed that with tuna.

I apologize to bring this up but at least 80% of what you wrote is mis-information. Please inform yourself. For once I agree with mtgoat read what was written there, its a growing sector of the sport, gear has changed o LOT since you're used it, there are scores of species to catch here in the SOC, and geeze i don't have the time to nitpick but go visit your local flyshop again and get informed, you will be pleasantly surprized.

better yet right now visit this site:

http://www.flyfishusa.com/

The Fly Fishing Shop, Welches, OR.
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 7-13-2011 at 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by flyfishinPam
and geeze i don't have the time to nitpick but go visit your local flyshop again and get informed, you will be pleasantly surprized.

the parking lots of my local flyshops in san diego (there are only 2) are filled with mercedes and range rovers.
if i go over to squidco, the parking lot is filled with pickup trucks.

i drive a toyota, so i shop mail order :lol::lol:
BillP
Nomad

[*] posted on 7-13-2011 at 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by 805gregg
Or as Nugent says "Kill em and Grill em"

Nugent also says "Whack 'em and Stack 'em" :rolleyes:
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-13-2011 at 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by flyfishinPam

I apologize to bring this up but at least 80% of what you wrote is mis-information. Please inform yourself. For once I agree with mtgoat read what was written there, its a growing sector of the sport, gear has changed o LOT since you're used it, there are scores of species to catch here in the SOC, and geeze i don't have the time to nitpick but go visit your local flyshop again and get informed, you will be pleasantly surprized.

better yet right now visit this site:

http://www.flyfishusa.com/

The Fly Fishing Shop, Welches, OR.

Wanna bet?

Please do 'nitpick'. Instead of painting with a broad brush please address the 80% that is wrong.

Oh, I don't disagree that it's a growing sector. It's been growing for decades. But it will never be the major part of baja sportfishing. I will stand by that.

How many flyfishermen on this board?

You know what. Flyfishing is not even the dominant form of fishing in Alaska, which is far more suitable for the sport.

And don't patronize me. I don't like it.
Cardon Man
Super Nomad

Mood: !Al Chingaso!

[*] posted on 7-14-2011 at 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Skipjack Joe

Oh, I don't disagree that it's a growing sector. It's been growing for decades. But it will never be the major part of baja sportfishing. I will stand by that.

How many flyfishermen on this board?

You know what. Flyfishing is not even the dominant form of fishing in Alaska, which is far more suitable for the sport.

And don't patronize me. I don't like it.

Skipjack makes a good point. The Alaska comparison is spot on. High quality, yet relatively easy fly fishing is wide spread up there. They manage their fisheries very well also. Not quite that way in present day Baja...particularly if you're talking shore fishing.
It is true that the fly fishing sector of Baja sport fishing has grown over the years. But I have to assume it's still only a small fraction of the total.
Is fly fishing actually growing as a whole? Not many kids getting involved it seems.
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.