Pages:  1    3    5  ..  9
Author: Subject: The Hunting Thread
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 9-10-2011 at 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bajabass
So if you are not doing the killing, all is good???? &%#$@ !!!! Let someone else do the dirty work??? *&%$@#!!! Your hands are clean, that is all that matters.:no:

Worked in Ag for a number of years.. and most in the Ag industry were hard pressed to "connect" with the consumers at the Markets .... in the urban centers of the population..... trying for support of Ag issues... most folks don't live that way anymore ... it comes to them all ready to: burn, broil, bake, fry or what ever...

Death, dismemberment, rendering plants..etc are removed from the thinking process... as we eat .... lot's of stuff.. as do many, many, others... and that is what happens on a HUGE scale daily... around the world.. even with Bushmen of the KalAhari ...

Where's the meat coming from for that In-and-Out... or the Tacos beef or fish ... et al...

I just used to enjoy being outdoors seeing some just beautiful countryside and/or habitat of the animals which lived where I was ... at the time...

[Edited on 9-10-2011 by wessongroup]

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-10-2011 at 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by toneart
So... cut Roger some slack. He is passionate about everything! If you disagree, state it along with your reasons, but to attack him is pointless.

I don't care what he boats or kills, but don't try to tell me that blowing crap out of a bunch of birds is done in the name of population management.
And, take those diploma-like Ducks Unlimited certificates off your wall. They don't mean sheeit if you have to pay for them.........and you do.

And again...anyone who loads a shotgun, then shoots a Dove or Quail and feels he's part of a solution is a demented megalomaniac.
Hunting has a basis in Hunger Management. Who here does this apply to? The only hunger being appeased is a starvation for power.

In my past, I have worked on fishing boats and quit counting the times customers would leave the boat empty handed although they loaded a cooler. They were in it for the kill. Many, many of them were there only to conquer a stupid fish and leave it for dead.
Don't try to tell me you're all different....that you have the well-being of fish in mind when you mindlessly bring them on board to finish off their life.
Please....don't try to tell me that.

Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-10-2011 at 01:04 PM

Wesson, I hope you and others didn't miss my point when I gave the price per pound for my bird hunting trips. When figured that way, at almost $500 dollars per pound I sure hope no reader thinks that I think that was expensive. The equation was a throw away -- each trip was worth the $1000s we spent because we could. The old west and all it held laid out before us with only our Western manners and sense of fairmindedness to guide us we didn't make much of a footprint but I see now I really shouldn't have put dollar signs on it.
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 9-10-2011 at 01:14 PM

Hunters are a different breed. Non-hunters? They're all the same.:spingrin:
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-10-2011 at 01:21 PM

Not at all, Osprey .... we/I still went ... as it was worth it to me... also... only wish I could get back out and see it.... that's what I like about here... people post pictures of places and things I used to be able see and do... and can't... anymore... so I really enjoy anyones "trips"... might pass on a baby seal killing expedition, but don't think we have many here that would find that "sport"...

I try and not put "labels" on folks ... each individual is exactly that... and have the right to do what they want ... with given conditions..

J.P.
Super Nomad

Mood: Easy Does It

[*] posted on 9-10-2011 at 01:34 PM

If i was about money Most people wouldnt get involved.
Any form of hunting or fishing nets pound for pound the most expensive meat you can consume.
I know a lot of people use the same logic about traveling in a R.V.
My feeling is if you can afford it and it doesnt break the law go for it I really like Rogers post and travelog and for whatever reason he does it I for one hopes he keeps it up.:cool::cool:
J.P.
Super Nomad

Mood: Easy Does It

[*] posted on 9-10-2011 at 01:49 PM

Where's the meat coming from for that In-and-Out...

Have you ever passed that MEGA feed lot owned by HARRIS FARMS up north on I-5 If that doesnt turn your stomach nothing will.
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-10-2011 at 02:58 PM
A Great Feeling of Accomplishment

Watch how these people smile and apparently feel joyful after they kill this large animal.

Didn't Sarah advocate shooting animals from helicopters?

IMHO people shouldn't eat or kill animals.

I did a little googling about the number of hunters in the United States. There appears to be disagreement except it's fairly certain the number is decreasing in a population that is increasing. Good. The number of vegetarians is also increasing. Also good.

[Edited on 9-10-2011 by SFandH]

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-10-2011 at 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by J.P.
Where's the meat coming from for that In-and-Out...

Have you ever passed that MEGA feed lot owned by HARRIS FARMS up north on I-5 If that doesnt turn your stomach nothing will.

Do ya mean the smell... as it has have a kinda "cow sh*t" smell.. but what would one expect...

Aaaaahhh ... where ya want to put them... and trying to keep them in tall green grass is a pretty hard one to do.. for all their lives ... until there are need for food... ya know like Japan's Kobe Beef ... WOW what a jolt to the consumers of In-and-Out .... let see Kobe is around $300/lb... let's see a double double with cheese... what ya figure around $75 dollars...

Rang land has a certain carrying capacity... it's just does.. and too bring them along in tall green grass is pretty hard to find and/or do .. and creates problems for the "use" of the animal.. to start... where to the slaughter and where will packing occur, where and how will all by products be dealt with.. next storage, distribution and marketing..

Harris Feed lot along with American Agriculture serves a purpose in producing food for literally billions of people ... think not check on some of our treaties along with our support for "Help" agencies for people that are starving... and were not even producing at max levels...

Long way from hunting... the production of Food and Fiber... but, there is one common link ... plants and animals used for food and clothing... of humans and other species... of animals.. check the costs on money spent on Pets.. hey doesn't Pom have a couple of those setting on his dash... at times

Good to have ya back Pomano... really start things out with a BANG :lol::lol::lol:

SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-10-2011 at 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by toneart
As a child, I shot a bird out of a tree with a BB gun to see what killing feels like. I had an unexpected and immediate response of horror and remorse.

Perfectly normal and natural. Psychiatric care is recommended for childern that enjoy killing. Well, either that or a hunting license. ;D

Want to adopt a mellow Baja dog or cat? - https://www.facebook.com/bajaanimalsanctuary/
Gypsy Jan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Depends on which way the wind is blowing

[*] posted on 9-10-2011 at 04:51 PM
I Read Pompano's Posting Early On

And I remember thinking after seeing the dead goose picture, "Oh, crap, this is going to set off a firestorm on the board."

And so it did. It is good for Doug and his hits.

I have never killed any living creature, but I believe that informed hunting and/or butchering of a live animal is not bad;

Not all of us live in the fantasyland where meat grows in Styrofoam plates with saran wrap coverings.

If there is respect and understanding for the interaction between the hunter, and prey, if there is no waste of life, then I have no argument against it.

You may feel that I do not know anything about the subject, butl, you are wrong. I didn't ever have to hunt animals to survive, but I participated in several wild boar hunts on Catalina Island when I was growing up.

The non-native wild boars were destroying the natural ecology. We were licensed to reduce the population went out at night with bows and arrows. And, if you are interested, and I hit the targets pretty regularly.

After that,our group cooked the pig in a pit, Hawaiian style.

It was tough and gamey, but pretty good eating and better to eat the pig than to be chased by one down the hill into the water.

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow mindedness.”
—Mark Twain

\"La vida es dura, el corazon es puro, y cantamos hasta la madrugada.” (Life is hard, the heart is pure and we sing until dawn.)
—Kirsty MacColl, Mambo de la Luna

\"Alea iacta est.\"
—Julius Caesar
Bajachillin
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-10-2011 at 05:10 PM

Question for you Dennis. What do you think the outlook for wildlife would be if hunting were abolished? Just curious. And before you jump to any conclusions, I only hunt with a camera.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-10-2011 at 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajachillin
Question for you Dennis. What do you think the outlook for wildlife would be if hunting were abolished? Just curious. And before you jump to any conclusions, I only hunt with a camera.

Well, I don't know and I don't care. I'm even beyond being curious and if man hadn't in the past upset the natural checks and balances of it all, you wouldn't even have that question to ask.
Hope that answers your question.
Bajachillin
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 9-10-2011 at 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:
Originally posted by Bajachillin

Well, I don't know and I don't care. I'm even beyond being curious and if man hadn't in the past upset the natural checks and balances of it all, you wouldn't even have that question to ask.
Hope that answers your question.

Actually it does.
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 9-10-2011 at 06:23 PM

I am so inthralled by the skill, sensitivity, talent, and eloquence of Roger, Tony, and others, that I find it difficult to even re-ponder the implications of "hunters" and "non-hunters"------------I considered such things when I was about 18 and came to my personal conclusions back then---------and that was that. I feel what others do "legally" is their business, and the responsibility for it also their business-------the carma of the universe will take care of things, and provide the final judgement if there is any to be had.

Thank you, Roger, for a beautiful "piece" on your love of hunting and all that goes with it-----I applaud your astounding talent for expressing yourself.

So good to have you posting again.

Barry
MMc
Super Nomad

Mood: Current

[*] posted on 9-10-2011 at 07:26 PM

Hunting, Gun Ownership, Abortion, Religion, Politics, GPS Points and surf spots all come down to one's beliefs and and the assumption that the other side is clueless. All the posts and all of the lip bashing never convince the other side to change their views. Both sides KNOW THEY ARE RIGHT.
I love a great story, like this one started out. I love a great rant, like this is now. I hope both continue.:lol:;D:smug::lol:;D:smug::P:P:P
MMc

"Never teach a pig to sing it frustrates you and annoys the pig" - W.C.Fields

wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 9-10-2011 at 07:30 PM

Don Jorge, sorry .... was carried away by the moment...

Saw someone raising "Black Angus" over in AZ.. on hwy 86.. He's irrigating one hell of a lot of acreage... was putting "gal pipe fence painted white" that I we measured at 15 miles along the highway.. one hell of first cabin cattle ranch .. raising them on grass... and they look "pretty"..... standing in green grass.. but he is pumping the water...

Sound like your setup can't be beat... as long as folks want beef... thanks...

But, not sure if there's enough room to go around...

Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-10-2011 at 08:09 PM

Dennis,

You are wrong that hunters kill for the enjoyment of killing. And I can prove it.

Suppose we fence in a bunch of cattle in a corral and invite the hunting community to come and shoot them. How many would come to do this? How much interest would such a hunt garner. Zero. No hunter would find that pleasurable and yet if killing is enjoyable this would be the full substitute for hunting because it provides all of the very 'essence' of hunting, as you believe.

Incidentally, there are people who find this sort of thing enjoyable. The evening news had several stories years ago about the rental horses in the stable at Griffith Park being slashed at night. Somebody would slice their faces open at night leaving them to bleed until discovered the following morning. I'm assuming this was done for pleasure. That is sadism. It has nothing to do with hunting.
Osprey
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-10-2011 at 08:09 PM

Barry A, just missed it by a word or two. What you see now as a talent for self expression, I have seen over the last few years as a talent for self promotion ---hundreds of photos of Roger catchin and killin all over Canada and the northern parts of western U.S. back to when he couldn't have known where Baja California was. That's a call for help. All we need is more travel talk, pix of this place down here.

Helllloooo! this is not the muskie forum.
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 9-10-2011 at 08:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Osprey
Barry A, just missed it by a word or two. What you see now as a talent for self expression, I have seen over the last few years as a talent for self promotion ---hundreds of photos of Roger catchin and killin all over Canada and the northern parts of western U.S. back to when he couldn't have known where Baja California was. That's a call for help. All we need is more travel talk, pix of this place down here.

Helllloooo! this is not the muskie forum.

Osprey-------Whew!!! That is as callous an interpretation of what is going on that I have seen for a while!!! WHO CARES what Roger's (or anybody elses) motives are (I don't) and judging by what Roger has experienced in the near past, I will cut him any slack he needs, and it makes me feel really good that his spirit is still soaring.

It's his talent that I am applauding, regardless of the subject not being "Baja related"--------My Gawd, this is a long-time fellow NOMAD!!! as well as being a highly entertaining poster, in my book.

Keep it up, Roger-----this NOMAD likes your posts.

Barry
 Pages:  1    3    5  ..  9

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.