Banned

[*] posted on 10-20-2011 at 09:14 PM

Your twins have red hair? I never noticed. :lol::lol:
Roberto
Banned

[*] posted on 10-20-2011 at 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DianaT
Yes, this is the prediction for the morning--some things never change. :biggrin:

Any review of ANY hotel from the border south to Guerrero Negro will end up being a review and argument over Baja Cactus in El Rosario----already started.

And the argument that will follow:

Some like El Rosario, some dislike it a lot

Some think Baja Cactus is quiet, some say there is a lot of truck noise

Some think it is the most logical place to stop after crossing the border, some think it is better to push on.

Discussion interrupted by 15 pictures of Baja Cactus inside and out.

Some think everyone should stay at Baja Cactus because Antonio is a good guy (and he is) and he is a Nomad. Some think being a Nomad is not necessarily a qualification for earning all business.

Some think the staff are very helpful and nice, some resent the taking of the driver's license

Then it will move to a discussion of Mama Espinoza's ............and maybe the bathrooms at the gas station.

But this was well expected when I started this thread, and my expectations were quickly met. :P

Ni modo, it is quite amusing-----but back to Cataviña, don't forget to show them your FM 3 or FM 2 for the 10% discount.

[Edited on 10-20-2011 by DianaT]

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=55761 :lol::lol:
Marinero
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-21-2011 at 06:10 AM

I tried to e-mail (twice) for information and reservations. No response. As it turned out we were late leaving San Diego so overnighted in SQ at Jardines, always a treat and a bargain.

Si estás buscando la person que cambiará su vida, échale una mirada en el espejo.

Fish logo from www.usafishing.com, used w/permission.

But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have.....
mooose29
Nomad

Mood: All Smiles

[*] posted on 11-27-2011 at 01:34 AM
Email or website

Does anyone have an email or address for the new website. The email address I had for their marketing director came back as not valid.
LaTijereta
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-13-2012 at 05:46 PM
Pets?

Rumor (Pony Express) has it that the new managment is not allowing pets..
Has anyone been turned down on a recent trip?
(earlier this year no problem with my dog)

Democracy is like two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.

Ben Franklin (1759)
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-13-2012 at 06:01 PM

Thanks for the info Diana T. Glad to see they are pet friendly.

$90 ain't too bad considering you're in the middle of nowhere and off the grid. It's expensive to send anything out to the middle of nowhere.

Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 9-13-2012 at 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ateo
Thanks for the info Diana T. Glad to see they are pet friendly.

$90 ain't too bad considering you're in the middle of nowhere and off the grid. It's expensive to send anything out to the middle of nowhere.

If that is the price the market will pay then it is a fair price. I'd just assume stop an hour earlier and pay under than half that price. Or, camp in the boulder fields for free. But we all have our own preferences....

DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-13-2012 at 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by LaTijereta
Rumor (Pony Express) has it that the new managment is not allowing pets..
Has anyone been turned down on a recent trip?
(earlier this year no problem with my dog)

Our last trip down the first week in August, dogs were still ok---they charge, but it evens out with our FM3 discount.

When was the rumor in the Pony Express? I sure hope it is just a rumor.

dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 9-13-2012 at 09:04 PM

We stayed there night before last (11th). 1 small dog (Cacahuate) and 2 cats, no problem. $950 pesos with the pet fee and FM2 discount, food was good, drinks were expensive at the bar. Had a nice walk in the desert evening with my sweetheart......we like it....

"Life is tough".....It's even tougher if you're stupid.....
LaTijereta
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 9-13-2012 at 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by dtbushpilot
We stayed there night before last (11th). 1 small dog (Cacahuate) and 2 cats, no problem. $950 pesos with the pet fee and FM2 discount, food was good, drinks were expensive at the bar. Had a nice walk in the desert evening with my sweetheart......we like it....

Thanks for the recent update!...Pricing sounds about right:cool:

Democracy is like two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.

Ben Franklin (1759)
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-13-2012 at 10:20 PM

It's always great to hear updates on this place. We used to park our camper behind the motel, order a couple of margaritas at the bar, and spend the night behind there for free. No problem.

The SAME boiling water that softens the potato hardens the egg. It's about what you are made of NOT the circumstance.
Barry A.
Select Nomad

Mood: optimistic

[*] posted on 9-13-2012 at 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob H
It's always great to hear updates on this place. We used to park our camper behind the motel, order a couple of margaritas at the bar, and spend the night behind there for free. No problem.

:lol::lol::lol::O:O:O Yes, Bob, we did too----many times. The dinner there was great, too.

Love that place.

Barry
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 9-14-2012 at 07:39 AM

Do you know if they plan to ever get the gas pumps up and running?
Also, was gotta peso around?

Bob Durrell
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 9-14-2012 at 09:03 AM

Someone or even two different people have always had gas for sale across from the hotel. They make the round trip to El Rosario (Baja Cactus) 76 miles away, then add about a dollar a gallon to their cost. Since they pour from 5 gallon cans, you do get a full 5 gallons (19 liters)! If you can't get to Baja Cactus, then their service is priceless!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-16-2012 at 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by dtbushpilot
We stayed there night before last (11th). 1 small dog (Cacahuate) and 2 catsws, no problem. $950 pesos with the pet fee and FM2 discount, food was good, drinks were expensive at the bar. Had a nice walk in the desert evening with my sweetheart......we like it....

We were there last night, September 15, 2012 --- all is still the same.

AND Cataviña looks like a lush tropical place! We have seen it green before, but this year is over the top! Really beautiful.

Still one running vado on the road --- no problem. Lost of pools of water off to the side, and lots and lots of cows and horses growing fat.

Road torn up for a few miles north of Jesus Maria --- no problem as it is good graded dirt.

The potholes on the Tortugas road have become craters and are awful. But the good news is that they have ripped out the asphalt for a few miles before the Asuncion turn off and what an improvement --- good graded dirt vs. moonscape asphalt. And the Vizcaino is also GREEN and beginning to bloom.

Heard from a friend that it rained enough that the big arroyo on the Asuncion-Abreojos road filled and was not passable --- needs to drain.

Marinero
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-19-2012 at 12:00 PM

In response to an email inquiry re: pets, I received this response today.
"hola

accepted at a cost of 1 extra person"

Seems to me that cost is about US$18-20.

Si estás buscando la person que cambiará su vida, échale una mirada en el espejo.

DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 9-19-2012 at 12:14 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Marinero
In response to an email inquiry re: pets, I received this response today.
"hola

accepted at a cost of 1 extra person"

Seems to me that cost is about US$18-20.

Yes that is correct and they don't charge us per dog ---- just one fee and then the discount for the FM3 or FM2.

Marinero
Nomad

[*] posted on 9-19-2012 at 03:32 PM

Thanks. I like the place and best of all I like the location for breaking up my drive down.

Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-19-2012 at 03:44 PM
It's About Profit

Quote:
Originally posted by durrelllrobert
Do you know if they plan to ever get the gas pumps up and running?
Also, was gotta peso around?

Inasmuch as this little gem is "off the grid", there is little to no way they could make a profit selling Pemex when they have to burn fuel just to make the pumps run. They have already increased the hours that they provide A/C.

To second earlier comments, given the upgrades the Los Pinos folks have made to this property, it really did take it to a higher level.

Our problem has usually been that our trips S/B and N/B have ruled out this place. That said, we have stayed there many times, going back to before it was La Pinta.

It is not a destination property. But it is a sweet place to stop if you need to turn off the road.
willardguy
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 9-19-2012 at 03:55 PM

remember when la pinta gave you the 5th nite free? and does ANYONE have a picture of the old gas stop across the street?? come on david......
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.