Pages:  1  2    4
Author: Subject: Your favorite boats?
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 12-30-2011 at 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by captkw
hola, have you ck'd out the volvo race's...??? sled's are so 70's..and be advised my northern home is santa cruz ca..but'' what ever makes ya happy,,"good on ya mate"and happy new year's to all on,,:bounce: this great chunk of spinning - - --.

trailerable, large c-ckpit, easy to sail, performance sailboat, one class fleets, what's not to like about that?
Islandbuilder
Senior Nomad

Mood: bewildered

[*] posted on 12-30-2011 at 10:51 AM

Anchorage is like a different world from SE. We used to do some Halibut fishing, but the new regs are confounding enough that we've decided to refer our fishy clients to the local Sportfishing outfitters. Better for us, and better for the locals.
We're pretty focused on exploring the areas natural history, using kayaks to poke into the estuaries, and the skiff to take people to the beach for walks.
It's a great gig. I had figured that it couldn't be nearly as hard as commercial fishing, but it certainly has it's challenges!

Quote:
hola,love alaska,lived in anchor for a while,, after trolling a lure from cabo to the sorccorro's to thur the hawai island then up to seward (resurection bay) the school of hard knok's ,, does have it's moment's,ever been divorced !! och !! what do you like to chase ? red's,silver's,kings,barn door hali'S,,I ran a 120 fter for the oil spill ,,south of homer and had a blast fishing alaska and a lotta babe's at the great alaska bush company LOL:lol: K&T
baitcast
Super Nomad

Mood: good

[*] posted on 12-30-2011 at 10:57 AM

Love of my life for a short while,30' Egg Harbor,twin flat head sixes:biggrin:

Anyone can catch fish in a boat but only \"El Pescador Grande\" can get them from the beach.

I hope when my time comes the old man will let me bring my rod and the water will be warm and clear.
Gaucho
Nomad

Mood: Bohemia por favor...

[*] posted on 12-30-2011 at 04:58 PM

Here's mine. A 1977 29' Crystaliner. She's a retired lifeguard boat I picked up at auction.

MitchMan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 12-30-2011 at 05:32 PM

I thought that you couldn't fish very successfully from an inflatable in the SOC?
Ken Bondy
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Mellow

[*] posted on 12-30-2011 at 05:54 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MitchMan
I thought that you couldn't fish very successfully from an inflatable in the SOC?

To the contrary, we had great success with the inflatables for many years at San Francisquito. They were easy to launch and beach, fast, comfortable, and we could store them in lockers between trips.

Ooops, forgot to mention that we could also carry them easily anywhere in the airplane.

[Edited on 12-31-2011 by Ken Bondy]

carpe diem!
comitan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 12-30-2011 at 06:10 PM

In past years took a 14ft Zodiac around Cerallvo many times also 88many times out of Muertos.

Edit A good performing boat but could not keep it together, never have another( Won a lass action against Zodiac, we could get a new for 5% discount)

[Edited on 12-31-2011 by comitan]

Strive For The Ideal, But Deal With What\'s Real.

Every day is a new day, better than the day before.(from some song)

Lord, Keep your arm around my shoulder and your hand over my mouth.

“The sincere pursuit of truth requires you to entertain the possibility that everything you believe to be true may in fact be false”
Spearo
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-30-2011 at 06:31 PM

I have a 15' Klamath with a 20 hp four stoke, trolling motor. The whole thing weighs about 400#. I built two 8' runners (think railroad tracks) out of 2x4s with 1/2" HDPE on top. Very slick. I can slide the boat off the trailer onto the tracks and slide it into the water pretty much anywhere. The trailer has a 1200# Warn winch to drag it back up.

I've launched this at San Bruno and circled Isla San Marcos, from Bahia Concepcion to San Sebastian. Didn't have the nerve to try for Isla San Ildefonso, that stretch can get choppy in a hurry. Spent a night at the fish camp at San Lino one year. Great guys. Learned a lot of Spanish.

When I retire I'll have a 20 ft CC...Parker, Triumph, Whaler...but for now that little tin boat can't be beat!

I'd post a pic but I am having a fit with photobucket

Were it not for the abdomen, man would easily reckon himself a god.

Friedrich Nietzsche
captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 12-30-2011 at 06:40 PM
chopy water

HOLA,If the boat can't handle chop,,I dont, no part of it,,myself K&T :cool:
Spearo
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-30-2011 at 07:54 PM

The boat will handle more chop than I want to. 15' is short for open water oondas, gotta pick your day.

Friedrich Nietzsche
captkw
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-30-2011 at 08:14 PM
got the wrong boat for me

hola, I used to run a 15.5 out to tortuga,and fly back with it blowing a solid 20-25kns, little cat's can do it,,sorry mono's will not...
Spearo
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-30-2011 at 08:52 PM

Quote:
hola, I used to run a 15.5 out to tortuga,and fly back with it blowing a solid 20-25kns, little cat's can do it,,sorry mono's will not...

You must have put one of your cojones in each hull for ballast

Friedrich Nietzsche
captkw
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-30-2011 at 08:53 PM
AHH,,I got a nibble

:lol::lol::lol:
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 12-30-2011 at 08:57 PM

My favorite boat is the M/V Haida Chief. Ketchikan days......salmon. I'll post pictures later. Built in 1942 as a sardine seiner. I worked on it in 1997 or 1998. Beautiful boat.

Islandbuilder
Senior Nomad

Mood: bewildered

[*] posted on 12-30-2011 at 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ateo
My favorite boat is the M/V Haida Chief. Ketchikan days......salmon. I'll post pictures later. Built in 1942 as a sardine seiner. I worked on it in 1997 or 1998. Beautiful boat.

Did she run an Enterprise? Or a big Cat? Seems like I know that boat, or knew it.
I love those old sardine seiners, beautiful boats!
sd
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-30-2011 at 09:35 PM

Gaucho - your boat has a great look. I always admire the lines when I see them around Newport Beach. A classic!
baitcast
Super Nomad

Mood: good

[*] posted on 12-31-2011 at 07:36 AM

A + 1 on Gaucho,s boat,the Egg was my largest and a 12' Porta-bote my smallest,fished Carmen and the BOLA area with it:lol:
Rob

Anyone can catch fish in a boat but only \"El Pescador Grande\" can get them from the beach.

I hope when my time comes the old man will let me bring my rod and the water will be warm and clear.
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 12-31-2011 at 08:23 AM

Ahhh, a Crystaliner. Is Lewis still around that there boat yard???

Here's my favorite boat.........right now. Working on buying one. Maybe the single best, couples cruiser for the Sea that doesnt require hanging diapers.

Albin 28

[Edited on 12-31-2011 by Hook]

captkw
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 12-31-2011 at 09:14 AM
boat's

the 28 ft albin is a rather slow boat and were usally powerd with deisel (thumber's) but u can park um on a reef and you are gonna hurt the reef !!
Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 12-31-2011 at 11:24 AM

Slow is a relative term, captain.

Any of the ~300 hp configurations will cruise at 18-20kts and burn about 8 gph. The largest engine package, the Cummins 370 will cruise at 22-24 and burn about 9 gph. All that in a boat that's 28 x 10 with a full galley, head and hot shower and a queen and quarter berth.

A day's worth of trolling and cruising out to the grounds will usually mean an average of about 5 gph, fully loaded. Not bad for a boat that can fish 4-5 very comfortably.

18-24 kts is plenty fast enough around my neck of the woods. All the way across the Sea in under fours hours, if sea conditions allow it.

Pages:  1  2    4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.