Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
Author: Subject: ViaSat Exede internet service
unbob
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-19-2012 at 08:04 PM
ViaSat Exede internet service

ViaSat Exede internet service

"... running on a brand-new, high-capacity Ka band satellite, ViaSat-1 — offers 12Mbps download and 3Mbps upload bandwidth to almost everyone in the United States."

Gee, wonder if it works in Baja too?

"I'm too young to be this old!"
Riom
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-20-2012 at 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by unbob

It works with spot beams, all of which are directed to selected areas in the US, with just a little bit of coverage in Mexico/Canada right near the borders. Here's the footprint of each beam:

http://www.satbeams.com/footprints?beam=6607
(zoom the map right in, and scroll to the right to get more Viasat1 beams)

Spot beam U72DL has possibilities down to San Felipe and a bit south of Ensanada, using a San Diego to Yuma address, but that's about it.

Rob

[Edited on 2012-1-20 by Riom]

unbob
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-23-2012 at 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Riom
Quote:
Originally posted by unbob

It works with spot beams, all of which are directed to selected areas in the US, with just a little bit of coverage in Mexico/Canada right near the borders. Here's the footprint of each beam:

http://www.satbeams.com/footprints?beam=6607
(zoom the map right in, and scroll to the right to get more Viasat1 beams)

Spot beam U72DL has possibilities down to San Felipe and a bit south of Ensanada, using a San Diego to Yuma address, but that's about it.

Rob

[Edited on 2012-1-20 by Riom]
Muchas gracias for doing the research and reporting back on the forum!

"I'm too young to be this old!"
BCSTech
Senior Nomad

Mood: Carpe Manana

[*] posted on 3-19-2012 at 08:58 PM
Exede Satellite Internet Service In Mexico - Not Anytime Soon I'm Afraid

We're an authorized WildBlue/Exede reseller and I don't think you can get one of these systems to work even just outside the immediate area of the physical account address. These systems are super sensitive to their geographic coordinates, and the physical location info is configured when the order is entered into Exede's order-entry system.

So, even if you get one set one up at your home address and then try to move it a few blocks let alone into Mexico, you're going to have problems.

Would love to hear from someone if they actually ever pull this off.

Alan Thompson

El Dorado Networks

News For The Left Coast of Baja:
The Baja Western Onion
mmm99999

[*] posted on 2-22-2015 at 09:57 PM

So does anyone know for sure if this will work or not in baja norte. I could see it not working if the modem has GPS in it and program to a specific long and lat but if not I don't see how they could deny service if you stayed in the correct spotbeam area.
larryC
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-23-2015 at 10:00 AM

There is an Exede dealer in Ensanada that claims to be able to get it to work as far south as Colonet. I don't know if it is true or not. I asked them what size dish they were using and was told a 4 meter dish. A 4 meter tx/rx dish would cost thousands of dollars so I doubt that is the case. Here is the link to another discussion
http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=77384#pid9607...
Contact them and see if they can make it work for you.
Larry

Off grid, 12-190 watt evergreen solar panels on solar trackers, 2-3648 stacked Outback inverters, 610ah LiFePo4 48v battery bank, FM 60 and MX60 Outback charge controllers, X-240 Outback transformer for 240v from inverters, 6500 watt Kubota diesel generator.
baconjr
Nomad

Mood: Es la vida de perro!

[*] posted on 2-23-2015 at 02:49 PM

I live south of Ensenada near Santo Tomas and use the Exide/Viasat system. It works fine. We have it billed to our US Address and have not experienced any problems so far and it has been over 6 months.
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 7-28-2015 at 10:39 AM

I am a bit confused about the who's who with Excede and why some dealers charge for the equipment and others dont...can someone explain this?

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
larryC
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-28-2015 at 11:07 AM

In the US if you sign up for Exede internet service, the equipment and standard installation are free,(well mostly free, there is a $100 set up fee from Viasat to set up your account in the augmented beam area which is why most users in Baja are given a Douglas Az. address) but you have to sign up with a 24 month contract. Some of the dealers in Baja are charging for the equipment, but to get the equipment they had to "buy" it from a dealer in the US. The purchase price ($380) is refunded to the US dealer when the service is installed and activated. What the US dealer does with the refunded money is anyone's guess. Also the US dealer gets a $160 credit from Viasat for the install. So there is a lot of money floating around for the grabbing.
Hope this helps
Larry

Off grid, 12-190 watt evergreen solar panels on solar trackers, 2-3648 stacked Outback inverters, 610ah LiFePo4 48v battery bank, FM 60 and MX60 Outback charge controllers, X-240 Outback transformer for 240v from inverters, 6500 watt Kubota diesel generator.
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-28-2015 at 11:12 AM

Some equipment is leased...some purchased. All in Baja that I know of have an installation fee. What I will say is that internet4baja seems to have the most experience and the only experience in BCS.
larryC
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-28-2015 at 11:35 AM

Quote: Originally posted by rts551  
Some equipment is leased...some purchased. All in Baja that I know of have an installation fee. What I will say is that internet4baja seems to have the most experience and the only experience in BCS.

Are you saying that you know someone that has purchased the equipment and is not paying the $9.99 a month lease fee? When I did my exede training, we were told that all Surf beam 2 modems and eTrias are leased, and all equipment replacements are under warranty because the equipment is still the property of Viasat. I do agree, all installs in Baja, the customer is charged. I charge $200 for installs in BoLA. The equipment comes from the US and I don't use any Mexican satellite, just the satellite assigned by Exede.

[Edited on 7-28-2015 by larryC]

BajaNomad
Super Administrator
Thread Split
7-28-2015 at 12:09 PM
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-28-2015 at 01:45 PM

Not sure . Maybe the 9.99 fee is imbedded in their fees. I do know some are selling the equipment (antennae, etc) and others are leasing it.

Do use a Mexico fee plan or a USA fee plan?
larryC
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-28-2015 at 02:19 PM

I know some are selling the equipment and in most cases it won't be a problem until you cancel your Exede service. If you cancel, even after the 24 month contract, then Viasat wants their equipment returned and if you don't return it then they will charge your credit card the equipment fee.
Do use a Mexico fee plan or a USA fee plan? Not sure I understand the question. All the installs I do in Bahia are set up in the US and paid directly to Exede/Viasat.

baja43
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-28-2015 at 04:48 PM

We had the EXEDE service installed on June 1st at our beach getaway west of Colonet. Clean and efficient installation, with the signal up and running that afternoon. Haven't had any technical problems since then. Billing has been another matter, as the agreement was for $600 in equipment fees, $160 in installation fees and $60 for the first month of service, payable at the time of installation, via credit card. And, then $60 per month ( for 24 month contract), billed to our CA address. Our problem has been with an initial $175 overcharge billed to our card by EXEDE, followed by another $65 overcharge the next month, added to $379 of bogus charges (from companies that we do not do any business with), that showed up on the card as soon as EXEDE received the billing information. The bogus charges were dismissed by AMEX, after their investigation, while EXEDE has not resolved the problem in any way.
Osiris in Ensenada and Miguel the installer seem to be really nice guys, but I'm feeling very uncomfortable with the billing end of things...if I had it all to do over, I wouldn't do it...I'd go surf fishing instead.
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 7-28-2015 at 04:54 PM

Quote: Originally posted by larryC  
I know some are selling the equipment and in most cases it won't be a problem until you cancel your Exede service. If you cancel, even after the 24 month contract, then Viasat wants their equipment returned and if you don't return it then they will charge your credit card the equipment fee.
Do use a Mexico fee plan or a USA fee plan? Not sure I understand the question. All the installs I do in Bahia are set up in the US and paid directly to Exede/Viasat.

There is a plan for Mexico. I will have to go find it.
larryC
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-29-2015 at 08:30 AM

Quote: Originally posted by baja43  
We had the EXEDE service installed on June 1st at our beach getaway west of Colonet. Clean and efficient installation, with the signal up and running that afternoon. Haven't had any technical problems since then. Billing has been another matter, as the agreement was for $600 in equipment fees, $160 in installation fees and $60 for the first month of service, payable at the time of installation, via credit card. And, then $60 per month ( for 24 month contract), billed to our CA address. Our problem has been with an initial $175 overcharge billed to our card by EXEDE, followed by another $65 overcharge the next month, added to $379 of bogus charges (from companies that we do not do any business with), that showed up on the card as soon as EXEDE received the billing information. The bogus charges were dismissed by AMEX, after their investigation, while EXEDE has not resolved the problem in any way.
Osiris in Ensenada and Miguel the installer seem to be really nice guys, but I'm feeling very uncomfortable with the billing end of things...if I had it all to do over, I wouldn't do it...I'd go surf fishing instead.

Wow, that's a lot of money. The people I install for in Bahia get the equipment for free from the dealer I work with and pay Exede a one time $100 set up fee and me a $200 install fee. $300 total, that's it no extras. Not sure what happened with your account with Exede but I also had some billing issues with them but they were very helpful and got it straightened out quickly.
Good luck with yours.

larryC
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 7-29-2015 at 08:33 AM

Quote: Originally posted by rts551  
Quote: Originally posted by larryC  

There is a plan for Mexico. I will have to go find it.

RTS
Yes, if you do find it let me know I'd like to see it.

baja43
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 7-30-2015 at 02:04 PM

To larryC-
Thanks for the good wishes, but I fear I'll need more than that, as EXEDE charges continue to pile up. Overcharges now amount to $357 and counting. EXEDE Customer Care has not been at all helpful in resolving the issue. I have put a block on EXEDE with AMEX until the two corporations can resolve things to my satisfaction.
I sure wish I could have used your services instead of the operation that I'm dealing with currently ( $300 vs. $720 plus the overcharges and credit card abuse by the EXEDE rep that I gave the info to originally).
Zola
Nomad

Mood: Enthusiastic

[*] posted on 4-29-2016 at 08:46 PM

Deleted.

[Edited on 4-30-2016 by Zola]

“Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple.” Dr. Seuss

“Never wrestle with pigs. You both get dirty and the pig likes it.” George Bernard Shaw

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.