BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: Op-Ed: Why are Canadians still flocking to Mexico?
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-24-2012 at 03:32 PM

I don't get why someone would spend so much of their time posting negative articles about Mexico when it's obvious it's not wanted here (correction, it is wanted by some, maybe many?). I'm fine with the actual news coming out and absorbing the reality of crime -- but hunting and searching for negative articles on random websites to post on a board that is 90% against these posts is a little freaky.

[Edited on 1-25-2012 by ateo]

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 1-24-2012 at 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by ateo
Yeah, I don't get why someone would spend so much of their time posting negative articles about Mexico when it's obvious it's not wanted here. I'm fine with the actual news coming out and absorbing the reality of crime -- but hunting and searching for negative articles on random websites to post on a board that is 95% against these posts is a little freaky.

Everything you said there is boolchit. Shame on you for that.
All articles on Mexico and comments on such are what this place thrives on.
"Hunting and searching for negative articles??' WTF is that? It's called research. How can you fault this?

You---ATEO----have to readjust your method of belonging here. We all try our best to accept well researched facts and methods to retrieve them, and mengano does his best to follow that guideline.
We can't begin to segregate information according to your discomfort level.

Personally, ATEO....I enjoy your input here and I hope it continues, but it probably won't if you continue to make efforts to run the show.
JoeJustJoe
Banned

Mood: Mad as hell

[*] posted on 1-24-2012 at 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Quote:
Yeah, I don't get why someone would spend so much of their time posting negative articles about Mexico when it's obvious it's not wanted here. I'm fine with the actual news coming out and absorbing the reality of crime -- but hunting and searching for negative articles on random websites to post on a board that is 95% against these posts is a little freaky.

Everything you said there is boolchit. Shame on you for that.
All articles on Mexico and comments on such are what this place thrives on.
"Hunting and searching for negative articles??' WTF is that? It's called research. How can you fault this?

You---ATEO----have to readjust your method of belonging here. We all try our best to accept well researched facts and methods to retrieve them, and mengano does his best to follow that guideline.

Personally, ATEO....I enjoy your input here and I hope it continues, but it probably won't if you continue to make efforts to run the show.

Dennis what's "boolsh*t?"

Dennis said:You---ATEO----have to readjust your method of belonging here. We all try our best to accept well researched facts and methods to retrieve them, and mengano does his best to follow that guideline.

Mengano does his best to follow the guidelines!!!!!

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

[Edited on 1-25-2012 by BajaNomad]
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-24-2012 at 04:20 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Wondering why someone who 'hates' Mexico so much is on a Baja travel web site to try and 'fear' away travelers to Mexico? Is it a mission you are on to punish the people of Mexico by reducing the tourist dollars coming south? Aren't there Mexico hate forums you would be better received at?

I suppose there are some Baja Nomads who like what you are doing, as they like keeping the peninsula just to themselves... less is best, etc. ? However, there is plenty of Baja for all Nomads to enjoy and bring their friends and family, too. It is God's gift to us, the Baja Peninsula... a magic place.

To be fair, this web site is more than just a "travel web site" (although some people try to guide it otherwise).
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-24-2012 at 05:33 PM

Quote:

Personally DENNIS, you got me all wrong. Let me repeat - all wrong. I stated I don't mind negative articles, this isn't MY site and I'm not trying to run the show. I laughed when i read that! Comedy gold.

Seems like someone with 80-100 post per day would be seen as trying to run the show. But we know you're not trying to run the show (let's be honest with ourselves here), you just make comments - just as I was doing. I'm not asking for segregated info. I'm not scared of Mexico.

ALL I WAS SAYING is it seems strange that someone with a perceived hatred of Mexico would spend so much of his time posting negative story after negative story. He's free to do so and I got nothing against him, just think its a little tired.

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-24-2012 at 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mengano

One thing to quote 666... but to quote him quoting that I said something about a lava flow near Ascuncion [SIC], (it's spelled Asuncion)... (which I don't ever recall did), is just wrong. :yes::smug:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 1-24-2012 at 05:43 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mengano

Professor Tim Meixner, PhD.... posts here as mtgoat666.

:lol:

Quote:

There are some very highly educated people here who are absolute dolts when it comes to anything that requires using your brain.

Apparently it's a contagion here. :wow:

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-24-2012 at 05:51 PM

Dennis, after reading my post, I think I could've come off like I was saying Megano's posts are "not wanted here". =)

Maybe that's where you got the whole me "trying to run the site" thing. Just seems like there have been past posts saying "don't feed the troll" and others saying to ignore the posts and that's what I was talking about.

Looking at the comments, there are plenty of those that like this "statistics about dead people" in Mexico thing.....so I officially retract my 95% disapproval stat. =)

Maybe Mengano can give us some statistics on those who love his posts and those that don't.

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-24-2012 at 05:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by rts551
Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Wondering why someone who 'hates' Mexico so much is on a Baja travel web site to try and 'fear' away travelers to Mexico? Is it a mission you are on to punish the people of Mexico by reducing the tourist dollars coming south? Aren't there Mexico hate forums you would be better received at?

I suppose there are some Baja Nomads who like what you are doing, as they like keeping the peninsula just to themselves... less is best, etc. ? However, there is plenty of Baja for all Nomads to enjoy and bring their friends and family, too. It is God's gift to us, the Baja Peninsula... a magic place.

To be fair, this web site is more than just a "travel web site" (although some people try to guide it otherwise).

Uh huh... its about many things, like making friends with other Baja travelers and residents, too... and information exchange... some of us do try and help others and act friendly... and don't let politics dictate who you 'nice to'. I do like to give what I have accumilated in my memory and collections as well as the other stuff... and even though I have tried to be friendly, it is a struggle with the few who like the confrontation and drama the Internet seems to spur on. But, as always I am here and if you or any Nomad needs help and I can provide it, I will always try and assist.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 1-24-2012 at 06:32 PM

Quote:
He's free to do so and I got nothing against him, just think its a little tired.

Tired?? Tired of what? Making you think? Mengano [?] should be on the payroll here for his efforts to bring current interest to the site. It's negative in nature...yes, but it's all true supportd by references. How in hell can you say this is wrong? It is WTF it is....and any effort to refute facts are efforts to buy the lie.
Don't do that here, ateo. You'll end up with those Rosarito apologists who have no sense of truth.
Mengano
Banned

[*] posted on 1-24-2012 at 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaNomad
Apparently it's a contagion here. :wow:

Ahhhhhh...choooo!!!!
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-24-2012 at 07:01 PM

Quote:
Quote:
He's free to do so and I got nothing against him, just think its a little tired.

Tired?? Tired of what? Making you think?

That's more comedy. I love to think. I love reason, I love learning, and I love searching for the truth. My view is Mexico has its risks, like everything in life, but those risks are more than worth taking.

wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 1-24-2012 at 07:09 PM
It's about "_________ "

Quote:

Spot on .... :):)

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 1-24-2012 at 07:19 PM

Quote:

Explain yourself, Ralph. Quickly. Mengano is hovering above your most personal thought processor. :lol:
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 1-24-2012 at 07:48 PM

Quote:
My view is Mexico has its risks, like everything in life, but those risks are more than worth taking.

Well said. Thanks.
windgrrl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-25-2012 at 08:29 AM
A vacation to sunny Mexico? Safety-wise, you could do a lot worse

From the Globe & Mail:

"Mexico has an image problem.

The country does its best to promote itself as a magical place for vacationers to revel in sun-drenched beaches, archeological marvels, cultural delights and mouth-watering cuisine.

But lately, when many Canadians hear Mexico they think drug wars and the resulting bodies of police, judges and bystanders piled up in the streets. They think of the 2009 H1N1 swine flu epidemic, which prompted international travel bans.

And they think of the strange and disturbing incidents involving attacked and murdered Canadians, such as Sheila Nabb of Calgary, who Monday emerged from a medically induced coma and is breathing on her own after being found in a Mazatlan hotel elevator a few days ago, beaten so badly she’ll undergo facial reconstruction this week.

More than 22 million foreigners visit Mexico each year – in 2010, more than 1.6 million were Canadian, up from about one million in 2006 – but how dangerous is it?

Statistics reveal that Mexico is not the most crime-ridden sun destination in the Americas. According to the United Nations 2010 global study on homicide, Mexico’s murder rate per 100,000 people was lower than that of Dominica, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Dominican Republic, Belize, Bahamas, Saint Lucia, Puerto Rico, Honduras, Panama, Brazil, Saint Kitts and Nevis, Trinidad and Tobago, Venezuela, Guatemala, Colombia, Jamaica and El Salvador.

The attack on Ms. Nabb came after two Canadians already had been murdered in Mexico this month.

“These incidents, although very unfortunate, are infrequent,” insists Rodrigo Esponda, who directs the Canadian branch of the Mexico Tourism Board. “The majority of international and national tourists, when they travel around Mexico, their experience is very positive.”

The numbers, and ensuing media attention, appear to be tainting Mexico’s sunny image.

A Leger Marketing survey in 2010 found that 39 per cent of Canadians had a favourable impression of Mexico, compared with 47 per cent who had an unfavourable view. By comparison, 61 per cent of those polled had a favourable view of Brazil, while just 17 per cent had a negative perception.

The same year as the survey, 23,000 stories were published in the Canadian media about Mexico, but just 20 per cent were favourable. At the same time, 9,600 articles ran about Brazil and 29 per cent were favourable.

Recent violence against visitors to Mexico has officials once again on the defensive, anxious to protect an industry that is the fourth-largest component of the country’s gross domestic product and was worth $11.8-billion (U.S.) in 2010.

The crime associated with the drug cartels is still mostly confined to Mexican cities near the U.S. border such as Tijuana and Ciudad Juarez. The latest Mexican government report found that almost 80 per cent of all homicides connected to organized crime took place in just 6 per cent of the country’s municipalities.

Ottawa has warned vacationers not to go to the border areas due to the “extreme levels of violence,” but also reminds them to “exercise a high degree of caution due to a deteriorating security situation in many parts of the country.”

On top of the two [one was a drug dealer] murdered Canadians this year, another five visitors have been assaulted, according to the Department of Foreign Affairs and International Trade. Last year, six Canadians were murdered and 50 were assaulted, the highest numbers of victims of serious crime in one year since 2000.

When Louis Durocher and his wife, Carole, residents of Saint-Jean-sur-Richelieu, Que., heard what happened to Ms. Nabb, they cancelled their Mexican vacation, which was to be spent at a resort 15 minutes from where the attack occurred, and booked a flight to Cuba.

“We had a discussion. We said, ‘Do we want to go on a vacation and enjoy ourselves without any worries?’ ” Mr. Durocher said. “When you go on vacation, it’s to relax and leave your worries behind, not bring them with you.

“We came to a conclusion that [Cuba] was a lot better for our security,” he added.

The United States remains the No. 1 destination for Canadians, with almost 20 million overnight visits in 2010, while Mexico is a distant second and Cuba is third, according to Statistics Canada.

Since 2005, 41 Canadians have reported being assaulted while visiting the United States and 40 Canadians have been killed while visiting there, according to Foreign Affairs. Over the same time period, one Canadian had been slain in Cuba and 69 have been assaulted.

Other sun spots popular with Canadians also have not been immune to crime. Since 2005, the Dominican Republic (fifth in popularity) had 59 cases of Canadians assaulted and 13 murders, while Jamaica (ranked 13th) saw 36 assaults and eight murders.

The Mexico statistics for that same time period are striking in comparison. It had the highest number of assaults – 194 – but with 24 murders, it was not as deadly as the United States.

Yet Mexico remains a popular destination for Canadians, who have made the trek there in increasing numbers every year since 2006. About 50,000 Canadians expatriates live there.

Garry and Lee Finell and their 13-year-old son, Grayson, started visiting Mexico about six years ago and have travelled to Los Cabos, Rivieria Maya and Mazatlan, including since 2009, four stays at the Hotel Riu Emerald Bay, the same resort where Ms. Nabb was found.

The Edmonton family, who recently returned from a two-week visit, has no concerns about going back and just recommended the resort to a friend.

“The staff have just been incredibly good. We feel like we’re family. I hate to see the hotel get a bad rap,” said Mr. Finell, a retired veterinarian, who pointed out that his city is more dangerous for Canadians than Mexico.

Edmonton [pop. 752,412] ranked as Canada’s murder capital with 47 killings last year.

Lesley Keyter, also known as the Travel Lady in Calgary, said while she hasn’t had any cancelled bookings to Mexico in light of what happened to Ms. Nabb, she expects some people will now avoid the country.

“When the news first came up, my first reaction was shock and, oh my goodness, how am I ever going to be able offer people a Mexico vacation? What if they say to me, ‘Will I be safe?’ I can never guarantee anybody safety, obviously, but … things sometimes happen. What’s shocking is that it happened within the confines of a five-star resort,” she said.

Ms. Keyter echoed the sentiments of Mexican officials, who have repeatedly called the attack isolated. Officials have said they are doing everything they can to solve the crime. Still, it adds to a very bad month for the tourism industry.

“Last week the big news was cruising. Was anybody going to cruise again?” Ms. Keyter said."

With reports from Kim Mackrael and Marina Jimenez
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/world/a-vacation-to-sunn...

When the way comes to an end, then change. Having changed, you pass through.
~ I-Ching
cielo

[*] posted on 1-25-2012 at 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by tiotomasbcs
Who is this sweet and caring guy Mengano? Fulano?? Were you assaulted in Baja or Mexico? I try not to read much of the negative stuff but I'm curious. Even DavidK makes sense in his opinion. Sorry/not. Tio

No, he's just bored or likely under/unemployed. Either way, he has way too much time on his hands (avg. posts 8 per day).

I must tread lightly though. He may spend 4 hours on the internet trying to find out what my real name is. He may even post an expose' about the time I lifted that pack of gum from the corner store when I was 6 years old.

Clown who likes to argue for the sake of arguing, in my opinion.
Mengano
Banned

[*] posted on 1-25-2012 at 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by cielo

Do you have a split personality? Should your name be Cybil, instead of Cielo? Where was your head at when you posted this awhile ago?

Quote:
How can a drug lord restore peace? Do you think the Drug violence will ever end? If so, how? Some Mexicans think that once Calderon is done and if the declared war on the cartels ends that things will go back to how they were before Calderon was elected. The situation is heartbreaking to those of us Americans who love Mexico. I have a home in Cabo and love being there if Cabo turns into Rosarito it can sit there empty for all I care. Having to dodge stray bullets and worry about being kidnapped is not my idea of a relaxing vacation.

I guess it is OK for you to dis Rosarito because you don't have a condo there, but Cabo is off-limits because you are invested there.

What a four-flusher.
JoeJustJoe
Banned

Mood: Mad as hell

[*] posted on 1-25-2012 at 02:06 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by tiotomasbcs
Who is this sweet and caring guy Mengano? Fulano?? Were you assaulted in Baja or Mexico? I try not to read much of the negative stuff but I'm curious. Even DavidK makes sense in his opinion. Sorry/not. Tio

No, he's just bored or likely under/unemployed. Either way, he has way too much time on his hands (avg. posts 8 per day).

I must tread lightly though. He may spend 4 hours on the internet trying to find out what my real name is. He may even post an expose' about the time I lifted that pack of gum from the corner store when I was 6 years old.

Wow for a newbie to this forum. You sure have Mengano's number.

You are right to tread lightly. Not only could you be exposed for stealing that pack of gum when you were 6 years old, but you also may be exposed as some kind of fat, bald 300 pound Muslim and used car salesman.

I know. I speak from experience. If you don't believe me. Then ask Mt Goat, the so-called Professor with a PH.D.
grizzlyfsh95
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-25-2012 at 03:48 PM

You are all aware, I am sure thet PhD means...pile it higher and deeper:biggrin:

The harder I work, the luckier I get
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.