Printable Version  
 Pages:  1    3    5  ..  16
Author: Subject: Toyota Tacoma Frame Crack
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-14-2012 at 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by rts551
What do they have to say over on the Tacoma forum?

That was my next thought but I have a life...just kidding. I am waiting to hear back from Toyota tomorrow and might post there as well. I'll keep you all posted.

chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 5-14-2012 at 07:46 PM

Its a crack, weld it and move on.....

dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 5-14-2012 at 08:27 PM

I've waited a while to weigh in on this topic, now is as good a time as any:

Having been in the business and repairing many truck frames I will predict that Toyota will certainly NOT replace the truck frame. Come on, really? replace an entire frame on a truck with 112000 miles on it because of a crack? They MIGHT offer some sort of discount coupon for a future oil change or something but let's be realistic. The truck is well out of warranty, it has been driven many miles on bad roads and it has, for all intents and purposes, done a good job for it's owner.

That said, If it were my truck I would ask myself if the truck had lived up to my expectations or not. What do I reasonably expect a truck to do, how much wear and tear should it take before the manufacturer can wash his hands of it and turn it over to me? How much will it cost to have it repaired by a competent repair shop?

I know from experience that repairing a crack in a truck frame isn't rocket science but it does need to be done properly. I think DK's idea of taking it to an off road vehicle shop (like the one he suggested) is an excellent idea. From a "being in the business" standpoint I doubt that you could get it done better at any price and it will probably cost less than you might expect.

My guess is that Toyota won't offer anything (rightfully so), the dealer where Bajaboy bought it might give him a discount coupon for some good will but that would be about it. I think a couple hundred bucks is going to fix the problem and the truck will be ready for another 100,000 miles or so......

Just my dos centavos, good luck with the repair Bajaboy......dt

"Life is tough".....It's even tougher if you're stupid.....
Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-14-2012 at 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by dtbushpilot
I've waited a while to weigh in on this topic, now is as good a time as any:

Having been in the business and repairing many truck frames I will predict that Toyota will certainly NOT replace the truck frame. Come on, really? replace an entire frame on a truck with 112000 miles on it because of a crack? They MIGHT offer some sort of discount coupon for a future oil change or something but let's be realistic. The truck is well out of warranty, it has been driven many miles on bad roads and it has, for all intents and purposes, done a good job for it's owner.

That said, If it were my truck I would ask myself if the truck had lived up to my expectations or not. What do I reasonably expect a truck to do, how much wear and tear should it take before the manufacturer can wash his hands of it and turn it over to me? How much will it cost to have it repaired by a competent repair shop?

I know from experience that repairing a crack in a truck frame isn't rocket science but it does need to be done properly. I think DK's idea of taking it to an off road vehicle shop (like the one he suggested) is an excellent idea. From a "being in the business" standpoint I doubt that you could get it done better at any price and it will probably cost less than you might expect.

My guess is that Toyota won't offer anything (rightfully so), the dealer where Bajaboy bought it might give him a discount coupon for some good will but that would be about it. I think a couple hundred bucks is going to fix the problem and the truck will be ready for another 100,000 miles or so......

Just my dos centavos, good luck with the repair Bajaboy......dt

I'm not expecting much and hope that is the attitude that I've relayed here. Guano happens and I don't expect Toyota to replace the frame. Do I think they should cover the cost of repair....yes. Do I think it will happen...maybe. As I said earlier, I now had 3-4 warranty repairs and three recall issues. I don't feel that is acceptable especially for a Toyota.

So with all the bad press that Toyota has had in the past few years, we'll see if they step up to the plate. As I said earlier, Bob Baker Toyota service department has been great all along.

dtbushpilot
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Tranquilo

[*] posted on 5-14-2012 at 08:59 PM

My reply was geared toward the general back and forth of the thread Bajaboy and I meant no disrespect. I don't think you are unreasonable in your expectations and hope that you have a favorable outcome......dt

[Edited on 5-15-2012 by dtbushpilot]

"Life is tough".....It's even tougher if you're stupid.....
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

Mood: Black Trans Lives Matter

[*] posted on 5-14-2012 at 09:28 PM

I think having a race shop like the one David K recommended will be your best chance at getting your Tacoma Baja ready. Good luck and I hope you and your family make it back to Baja soon.

wessongroup
Platinum Nomad

Mood: Suicide Hot line ... please hold

[*] posted on 5-14-2012 at 10:19 PM

Great thread... :):)

Bajaboy
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-15-2012 at 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ken Cooke
I think having a race shop like the one David K recommended will be your best chance at getting your Tacoma Baja ready. Good luck and I hope you and your family make it back to Baja soon.

My son and I are scheduled to leave a week from Thursday:tumble:

TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-15-2012 at 09:15 AM

I think you are asking too much if you expect Toyota or even Bob Baker to fix it. You got 112,000 miles on it and they have no ideal where you have been or how you used it. As I understand there are no recalls or service bulletins concerning it. About the best warranty mileage (except for really high end vehicles) in the industry is 100,000 miles and that's on the power train. Toyota replaced the frame on many 1st generation Tacoma's due to rust and I think that is still in effect, but not 2nd generation.
captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 5-15-2012 at 09:34 AM
new frame

Quote:
Originally posted by TW
I think you are asking too much if you expect Toyota or even Bob Baker to fix it. You got 112,000 miles on it and they have no ideal where you have been or how you used it. As I understand there are no recalls or service bulletins concerning it. About the best warranty mileage (except for really high end vehicles) in the industry is 100,000 miles and that's on the power train. Toyota replaced the frame on many 1st generation Tacoma's due to rust and I think that is still in effect, but not 2nd generation.
Hola,replace the frame !!! you got to be jokeing !! I would have gave you a new truck rather than replace the WHOLE frame !! That a bigtime shop bottleneck of a job,,, BTW japen get's it's rec.metal from the port of oakland and long beach ca. they have no raw resources !! K&T :cool:
TMW
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 5-15-2012 at 10:26 AM

I just checked and the frame replacement ended 12/31/11 for the 01-04 Tacoma.

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/1st-gen-tacomas/203692-toyo...

More info at
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/search.php?searchid=5757384
woody with a view
PITA Nomad

Mood: Everchangin'

[*] posted on 5-15-2012 at 02:52 PM

BUMMER!!!!

David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 5-15-2012 at 04:04 PM

Zac has a 2005 Tacoma!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-15-2012 at 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Zac has a 2005 Tacoma!

David, Do any of the Tacoma guys that you run with report of Frame-related problems? After numerous trips to Baja and hard-pounding 4WD trails throughout the deserts here in the US, I have only damaged the rear crossmember section of the frame on my Jeep.

Not to knock the Toyota brand, but I am wondering if this frame section is under built for the kind of demanding use Baja Nomads require of their vehicles? Because I don't frequent the Toyota Forums or partake in Toyota runs, I don't know much about Toyota reliability with regard to hard off-road use.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 5-15-2012 at 04:36 PM

NO, until I read of Zac's 7 year old Tacoma issue, I have not noticed any discussion of frame cracks on Tacoma World. When Ralph asked about anything being discussed on TW (Tacoma World), I did a search and after reading several pages containing frame and crack... I couldn't pull one out that was a 'frame crack'! I was looking in the Second Gen. forums (2005 + Tacomas)...

Again, to weld closed a crack in a frame is not a big deal per what the professional truck race fabricators say... if that is indeed what is wrong with Zac's Tacoma.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Mexitron
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Happy!

[*] posted on 5-15-2012 at 04:41 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Zac has a 2005 Tacoma!

David, Do any of the Tacoma guys that you run with report of Frame-related problems? After numerous trips to Baja and hard-pounding 4WD trails throughout the deserts here in the US, I have only damaged the rear crossmember section of the frame on my Jeep.

Not to knock the Toyota brand, but I am wondering if this frame section is under built for the kind of demanding use Baja Nomads require of their vehicles? Because I don't frequent the Toyota Forums or partake in Toyota runs, I don't know much about Toyota reliability with regard to hard off-road use.

They used to be legendary for durability---my 1992 4x4 4-banger took everything I threw at it. Brooks' 1996 is still doing great. My 2009 has been stellar so far but still only at 40K...my only complaint is the complicated nature of the systems these days, the 1992 Toyota only had 5 fuses!
Ken Cooke
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-15-2012 at 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajaboy

Are you planning on repairing this pickup, or do you have a backup vehicle? You don't have much time before your next Baja trip.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 5-15-2012 at 04:54 PM

Well, my 2010 has also been stellar... and while it is full of electronics and hydraulic brake booster aided traction systems... the Toyota depenability is still there... and even the U.S. administration couldn't convert buyers to its GM products with the made-up story about uncontrolled acceleration using the very unfortunate incident of a family in a Lexus dealer's loaner car (with extra floor mats on the driver's side, sticking the gas pedal).

Traction Control means power isn't spent on spinning tires, but on the tires that still have traction. The Off Road Tacoma's rear locker and Active Traction Control means the billy goat finally has met its match, in a factory stock 4WD!

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 5-15-2012 at 05:34 PM
2009 Tacoma Brochure, filmed in Baja...

... on the road Ken Cooke just posted photos of.

NOTE: BOX FRAME

elgatoloco
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 5-15-2012 at 06:20 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Bajaboy

Are you planning on repairing this pickup, or do you have a backup vehicle? You don't have much time before your next Baja trip.

He has a backup - my 1999 F-250 Extended cab 7.3 Powerstroke long bed 4x4 with 273,000 miles. It's the least I can do as payback for when he pulled me out of the sand south of Pta. Eugenio years ago. :saint: Maybe that's how the frame cracked? :biggrin:

MAGA
Making Attorneys Get Attorneys

Pages:  1    3    5  ..  16

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.