Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: El Rosario
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 10-23-2004 at 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by jrbaja
all I know about the rest of Baja is there's bandidos. I'm kind of afraid of going to the "wild areas" like Bahia de los Angeles and Bahia Gonzaga.:lol:

Suggest you see Ken Bondy's latest web page and story if you think those two bays are destinations for ugly americans.

I really don't understand your hate for L.A. Bay? Because it is popular with some Americans, that makes it bad? Didn't you have fun at the Baja Cactus fiesta? It's people like that who camp at Gecko whenever I am there (which is only 1-3 times in a year). Lighten up JR... people are mostly good.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2004 at 03:29 PM
Having spent time at these places

prior to trailer parks, bars, motels, atvs and drunken gringos sort of steered me away from those places and what they have become.
And then I sort of grew out of the party scene which seems to be quite common in those touristy type places.
I still enjoy it on occasion but I prefer going to places that are like those used to be. Spending time with the locals is a lot more enriching for me as I learn a lot about the surrounding areas and history, as well as make some pretty good friends. Tranquillo I believe is what they call it. Baja used to be famous for it.
Now I have to go miles into the most remote regions to find the tranquility that used to be prevalent everywhere.
You should try it sometime!:biggrin:
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2004 at 06:57 PM

Fortunately, Baja has a destination for each Nomad's interests. Tranquility is where you find it.

Fortunately as well, I am able to still enjoy the Baja places I saw first nearly 40 years ago. Things change, we may not want them to, but they still do. If you cannot accept these changes and adapt to them, you will never be happy in a world that refuses to remain static.

There is really only one Baja place that has become so unlike the rest of Baja, I prefer to avoid it for a Baja experience... that is Cabo San Lucas. However, Gonzaga Bay is still as pleasing to enjoy as when I first drove myself there when I was 16 or even earlier when my parents took me there starting in 1965.

You talk about Gonzaga and L.A. Bay somewhat like the way I see Cabo, and it just ain't that way.

Perhaps it is because you just stayed in a camp or motel next to other gringos and didn't go out and experience the sights and culture of the area? If you only hang around drunk gringos and ATVers then that might be your impression.

When I think of L.A. Bay, I picture: a great museum, turtle research station, friendly people, great fishing, islands, old mines, desert beauty, historic sites, lost mission searching, and good friends from Baja Nomad (or that we meet down there) to share fireside conversations with.

When I think about Gonzaga Bay, I picture: a most beautiful beach, historic sites (Molino de Lacy, old mines, Franciscan warehouse, El Camino Real), natural sites (palm canyon pools, onyx spring, green pools of Turquesa Canyon), good food cooked up by Irma at Alfonsina's, frindly people (like Irma & Antonio, Coco, Brandi, Ed Wills, Doug Bowles, John Baretta).

When I seek solitude, there are a zillion places for that too.

Baja... it's a state of mind. :cool: :light:

[Edited on 10-24-2004 by David K]

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

FrankO
Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2004 at 07:36 PM
I see it like this.

But who the fook am I? Quit b-tching about the places and folks you don't dig and concentrate on the positive. All that negativity can make someone sound like a whiny, bitter b-tch. How's that for a feminine side? There's a lot more to Mex than baja and there's a lot more to the world than Mex and there're a lot of empty spaces all around.

Union thug.
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

lol.gif posted on 10-23-2004 at 08:12 PM
Yep, that's me!

"Perhaps it is because you just stayed in a camp or motel next to other gringos and didn't go out and experience the sights and culture of the area? If you only hang around drunk gringos and ATVers then that might be your impression. "

You may want to check out http:''groups.msn.com/TheBajasBestGuidesPhotoAlbum to see how much time I spend in hotels and gringo enclaves.

I don't have any pictures of much other than the people and sites of Baja. The only evidence I found of gringos in the mountains and beaches you have never heard of is their coors and bud cans. And these have been in places that you wouldn't even believe.
I understand the attraction of beautiful bays, islands, etc. Just not littered with atvs, people with attitudes, ( I've been coming here since blah blah blah) and loud obnoxious drunks.
If this isn't the usual weekend behaviour in these places, I guess I am mistaken. But, I doubt that is the case.

And remember David, I live here, and I travel all over Baja on a regularly basis so I feel I am a little more aware than someone who visits every once in a while. So does everyone else that does more than vacation here.

It's true, those enclaves can be a blast. They just remind me of going to Newport Dunes or Disneyland or something.
And those places are pretty popular too, from what I hear.

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2004 at 09:51 PM

I know where you go JR. That's why I wonder what gives you such a negative attitude about other Americans. When did you see that kind of 'Cabo activity' at Gonzaga Bay? Maybe I just don't dwell on the little stuff that can in no way take away my enjoyment of Baja. Most of my camping has been in 25 years of solitude on Shell Island, and only since the Internet have I enjoyed camping with others and finally sharing a bit of what Baja means to me with others who also love backcountry Baja.

Funny that I always see Mexicans (in Mexico) drinking Bud... it is the most popular imported beer in Baja (I bet). I drink Mexican beer on both sides of the border. Are you sure it isn't Mexicans leaving American beer containers... I have witnessed these 'humans' trashing the countryside in volumes.

I think if you can finally accept that there is good and bad from both countries and stop the 'trashing' of all things American, this can be resolved. You come across as hating America. Do you wonder what the Mexican mountain people say to themselves when you have gone... about how you bad mouth your own countrymen. Is this productive to good relationships between our countries? Don't you want Americans to visit these places to bring $$$, buy bamboo pipe racks, hire tourguides to buriel sites, etc. Don't bite the hand you want to feed you (them)!

Oh, I do envy your ability to live in Mexico. I hope to be there myself, fulltime. My kids are still school age and my business is up here.

Believe and think as you wish... But, when you go public with your beliefs, you need to accept that you are ruffling feathers and will propagate counter-comments... Agreed?:biggrin:

jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2004 at 10:33 PM
I never compared anywhere to Cabo

I have friends from Lag Nig that used to spend a lot of time at Gonzaga and they have or had houses there.
The last time I was there, people drunk almost rolled their truck with Carol and my daughter in it. And every time I have been there, there were more and more gringos drinking beer all day and then switching to c-cktails at night while their kids ran rampant.
Perhaps I am the only one who has noticed these things, or perhaps I am the only one to comment on how stupid I think it is.
The people that own our property here in Rosarito have friends in Bahia de los Angeles . Their families are from there. When they came over here, they broke into the houses and had turned into meth freaks. Don't know how they got started but my neighbors don't go there anymore because they aren't into that.
I have read on here about stuff getting ripped off at both those places and to me, it is a turn off.
I don't like to pretend I am in paradise when my chit is disappearing. And I see it happening more and more. Anyplace that becomes popular with the tourists in fact.
I don't make things up. I call it as I see it. Some of you like to turn what I say into me being anti american but again, if the shoe fits, wear it. If it doesn't, then spread the word so that these jerks maybe learn a little respect.
As far as Mexicans drinking Budweiser, you are dreaming Pal. :lol:
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-23-2004 at 10:54 PM

No pal, not dreaming, I see well-to-do Mexicans (the ones with nice 4WD trucks) drinking Bud (I hate the stuff, yuch)! Perhaps to look chic? I also have seen Budweiser advertising in Mexico. El Rey de Cervezas!:lol:

The Cabo-like activity is MY words for the kind of activity YOU describe.

Drunken gringos almost killing your family will leave a bad memory, I suspected something tragic like that. So, Gonzaga is bad because of that? I have camped there only a few times, but I never saw or heard any of that.

Somebody from L.A. Bay uses meth when they visited Rosarito, and did something criminal in Rosarito... so L.A. Bay is bad???
Boy oh boy JR... if that's what you want to believe... If there is 10% meth addicts in L.A. Bay then that's just demographics as there is the same percentage is Rosarito, too.

Good and bad everywhere... But always far more good than bad. Like 90% vs. 10%.

Come camping with me and I can show you the good that is in those places in Baja. I can also enjoy camping far from any gringos and have, more often than with other gringos, a lot more often.

jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 10-24-2004 at 08:08 AM
I realize there is no stopping "progress"

but watching those places steadily turn into what many believe Rosarito to be including you David, makes me want to say something about it.
And perhaps I am mistaken but the majority of tourists that I have seen that go to these places get plastered when they are there. Every day!
And I am the one that usually breaks up their fights, patches them up when they wreck their atc's, fixes their cars, loans them tools, etc.
I have saved my most obnoxious drunken neighbors life twice (literally) and keep a huge first aid kit and use it regularly.
Now, it's true that I do chop my own fingers on occasion and I by no means think I am anything special. I would help anyone I come in contact with and do so almost every day.
What I am saying probably does ruffle some feathers but it also opens some eyes to respecting others around you. And this is what I see lacking from the majority of tourists. Respect for others.
Combined with alcohol and quads, it can be a deadly combination. And as far as the Nomads go, I have heard stories about many of them and their loudness and out of control quad riding in the camps.
All I ask is that people at least think about what I am saying. It doesn't mean I am anti american or even hate all things american. I have gotten on my drunken Mexican neighbors equally when they are causing trouble. It's about respect. period.
By the way, did you know that most of those Mexican guys driving new 4wd's and drinking bud are supplying the u.s. with illegal drugs. hahahahahaha

And as far as biting the hand that feeds me which you have mentioned two or three times, mine are the only ones that feed me. All donations I receive go directly to the people that need them the most. Not me.
I am not a kiss arse phoney either. I am not trying to ruffle feathers on purpose although I do realize the things I say probably apply mostly to the ones with the ruffles, I just think that some things need to be brought out in the open and discussed. Otherwise, they will just continue to get worse.
:light:
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 10-24-2004 at 09:35 AM
AMEN

Thank you JR.

Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.