Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4
Author: Subject: Baja cactus
Ateo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-18-2012 at 07:52 PM

Baja Cactus is very nice. Antonio should build a restaurant on the other side of the Pemex and it would rival Jardines. The banos at the gas station are terrific. I had the most enjoyable urination of my life in there on Wednesday morning. :spingrin::spingrin::spingrin::spingrin::spingrin::spingrin::spingrin::spingrin:

mcfez
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2012 at 07:22 AM

"......Dont let the dogs on beds"

Reminds me once again why I hate motels.......when do those bed covers ever get washed? :o:o:o

Baja Cactus has nothing but great reviews here at the BN.

Old people are like the old cars, made of some tough stuff. May show a little rust, but good as gold on the inside.
ncampion
Super Nomad

Mood: Retired and Loving it

[*] posted on 11-19-2012 at 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
LOL... 'David' likes 202 the best, but any room at Baja Cactus (even the original rooms) beats any other place in town.

There was mold under the bathroom sink at Mama's (Ken Cooke showed me, and he has only stayed at Cactus since)...

Ed's has a nice B & B... but is is pricier than the motels.

WOW I'm sitting in room 202 at this very moment! I thought there was a kinda "special" feeling about it.
:lol::light::light:
Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2012 at 08:42 AM

Quote:
LOL... 'David' likes 202 the best, but any room at Baja Cactus (even the original rooms) beats any other place in town.

That's not a true statement.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 11-19-2012 at 08:48 AM

Really? What motel there has a better room... maybe Turista but only Antonio has been helpful to travelers to such a degree that deserves our support.

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

mcfez
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2012 at 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by ncampion
Quote:

There was mold under the bathroom sink at Mama's (Ken Cooke showed me, and he has only stayed at Cactus since)...

Ed's has a nice B & B... but is is pricier than the motels.

WOW I'm sitting in room 202 at this very moment! I thought there was a kinda "special" feeling about it.
:lol::light::light:

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Old people are like the old cars, made of some tough stuff. May show a little rust, but good as gold on the inside.
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2012 at 11:01 AM

If you want a really lovely room where

--- there is no hassle at all about the dog, where they don't take your license and make you wait in the morning while they check the room

--- you don't hear the trucks on the highway

-- you have miles of dunes and beach to walk your dog --- and a very large parking area for a the quick walks

-- you have a beautiful view of the beach and ocean that is especially nice at sunrise

-- there is a very helpful and friendly staff

-- there is a quite good restaurant

Try the Hotel Santa Maria at the south end of San Quintin --- the former La Pinta/Desert Inn. It is 575 pesos out the door and well worth it.

Please don't let your dog eat your room and ruin a good thing. :-)

We also still at times stay at Jardins if one of their outside dog rooms is available.

Bubba
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2012 at 11:36 AM

Looks like a great deal for $40, I'm impressed.

Quote:
For those who haven't stayed or stopped by... it is just past the Pemex station in El Rosario, and just before Mama Espinoza's restaurant and motel... for only about $40 a night, perhaps one of the finest motels anywhere (U.S. or Mexico):

Here are some photos of our room at Baja Cactus, El Rosario...

All beds king size, American custom made mattresses, pressure boosted water system for showers, satellite TV with English and Spanish channels, in room phones and can dial to anywhere in the world, in room coffee maker, complimentary shampoo, conditioner, hand creme, dimmer light, ceiling fan, heating and AC, Internet, 24 hour staffed lobby, security cameras in parking areas...
Lee
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2012 at 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bubba
Looks like a great deal for $40, I'm impressed.

Quote:
For those who haven't stayed or stopped by... it is just past the Pemex station in El Rosario, and just before Mama Espinoza's restaurant and motel... for only about $40 a night, perhaps one of the finest motels anywhere (U.S. or Mexico):

Here are some photos of our room at Baja Cactus, El Rosario...

All beds king size, American custom made mattresses, pressure boosted water system for showers, satellite TV with English and Spanish channels, in room phones and can dial to anywhere in the world, in room coffee maker, complimentary shampoo, conditioner, hand creme, dimmer light, ceiling fan, heating and AC, Internet, 24 hour staffed lobby, security cameras in parking areas...

Get what you pay for in El Rosario, sorta. There is no competition in town. It's true, the desk holds your DL until the room is inspected when checking out. It's not a big deal considering the great rooms.

If you must stay in this town, make reservations if it's the weekend. The Cactus fills up.
captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 11-19-2012 at 07:46 PM
pemex and lugnuts

Ageing myself !! the gas staition around the corner was famous for looseing lug nuts on the rear and alot trailer tires !!! I'm not starting a rumor..This has been told at so many camp fires,dinners,bar and I myself have seen the damage my self on towed units !!! thank god that has quit since they redid the pemex a few years back.....So..does anyone have a story or ????? K&T:cool:
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

Mood: INTP-A

[*] posted on 11-19-2012 at 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Lee
It's true, the desk holds your DL until the room is inspected when checking out.

Can anyone confirm if they do this if you use your BajaNomad card? That would be new news. Used to not hold the DL if you had your BN card.

Thx.

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.
– Rabbi Abraham Joshua Heschel

We know we must go back if we live, and we don`t know why.
– John Steinbeck, Log from the Sea of Cortez

Affordable Domain Name Registration/Management & cPanel Web Hosting:
https://www.regionalinternet.com
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 11-19-2012 at 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by captkw
the gas staition around the corner

I'm assuming you're referring to another station "around the corner" from the Baja Cactus (like by the bus station)?

In January '92 I drove into what was then the Baja Cactus station in El Rosario in the wee hours of the morning. Was just the one island of gasoline pumps with no awning then, and a little attendant shack. Anyway, filled up the truck and went in to pay... and had to wake the attendant up to pay him, as he was fast asleep in his chair.

When I was young, I admired clever people. Now that I am old, I admire kind people.

captkw
Ultra Nomad

Mood: new dog/missing the old 1

[*] posted on 11-19-2012 at 10:14 PM
DOUG...

How would a nomad get a card??? K&T:cool:
BajaNomad
Super Administrator

[*] posted on 11-19-2012 at 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by captkw
How would a nomad get a card???

http://www.bajanomad.com/club/card.htm

David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-19-2012 at 11:45 PM

The gas station "around the corner" was Mama Espinoza's... They lost their contract with Pemex many years ago, and now that is a propane station.
Since then, only Antonio's family station has been open in town.

There are photos of the gravity pumps of Antonio's family and of Mama Espinoza taken in the '50's or early 60's in the Howard Gulick collection. The original gravity gas pumps are on display in the motel parking areas of both places. In the old days before Pemex, one was a Standard Oil distributor and the other was a Union 76 distributor, I recall...

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Skipjack Joe
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2012 at 12:01 AM

Quote:
Really? What motel there has a better room... maybe Turista but only Antonio has been helpful to travelers to such a degree that deserves our support.

Yes the rooms at Turista are better than Antonio's older rooms. And that is only natural. The Baja Cactus older rooms look to have been built 30-40 years ago when rooms of that caliber were competitive. Turista was completed just recently.

Don't get me wrong. I'm a big fan of Baja Cactus but prefer to not stretch the truth in order to support it. Baja Cactus can stand on it's own merit.

The biggest problem with Baja Cactus is that it's always full. Antonio's response: ".... and that's a problem?"
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2012 at 12:09 AM

Right... and I have stayed at Turista twice... excellent mattress...

The Baja Cactus original rooms are old and someday will be torn down to make room for expanding the newer motel buildings additional rooms. Still, inside the old rooms (which are bigger than Turista) are beds, bathroom, TV... but older, yes... and cheaper. Shari used to rave about Baja Cactus and that was after only staying in the old rooms... (I told her she must treat herself to some luxury and try the new rooms)!

I am curious about Lee's post saying Turista has fallen in quality... The original owner died, and wondered if that was part of the problem? Has their restaurant been tried yet... or has it even opened?

ncampion
Super Nomad

Mood: Retired and Loving it

[*] posted on 11-20-2012 at 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by BajaNomad
Quote:
Originally posted by Lee
It's true, the desk holds your DL until the room is inspected when checking out.

Can anyone confirm if they do this if you use your BajaNomad card? That would be new news. Used to not hold the DL if you had your BN card.

Thx.

Stayed there two nights ago and they keep the BN card but do not even ask for a driver's license. They have not inspected the room in the morning for about a year in my experience, just give them the remote and key and they give back the card and off you go.
Mulegena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-20-2012 at 08:24 AM

I, too, dislike relinquishing my identification due to possible security issues,
but I really disliked when my room was inspected.

With my ID in his hand and without a word the man just walked out the lobby door.
Believe you me, I followed him like a dog on a hunt.

When we arrived at my vacated room I followed the fellow up there to monitor his actions.
He checked that I had not stolen the bed sheets, towels and was especially concerned that all four pillows were there and I'd not switched them out with inferior quality ones.

We then went back down to the lobby and he handed back my passport.
This does not sit well with me and is the only thing I can fault Baja Cactus.

"Raise your words, not your voice. It's rain that grows flowers, not thunder." ~Rumi

"It's the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~ Aristotle
mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 11-20-2012 at 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mulegena
I, too, dislike relinquishing my identification due to possible security issues,
but I really disliked when my room was inspected.

With my ID in his hand and without a word the man just walked out the lobby door.
Believe you me, I followed him like a dog on a hunt.

When we arrived at my vacated room I followed the fellow up there to monitor his actions.
He checked that I had not stolen the bed sheets, towels and was especially concerned that all four pillows were there and I'd not switched them out with inferior quality ones.

We then went back down to the lobby and he handed back my passport.
This does not sit well with me and is the only thing I can fault Baja Cactus.

don't blame the hotel management, they are just trying to stay in business and have no way of knowing you are honest abe.
it's just a roadside motel fro travelers that rarely stay more than 8 hours,... it's sort of a truck-stop motel,... concern with theft is reasonable. they probably have good reason to inspect, school of hard knocks, and all that.
 Pages:  1  2    4

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.