Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Education in Baja
bajalera
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-3-2004 at 03:24 PM

Pam's account of school "free days" made me laugh--it seems to be a longstanding BCS tradition. When my kids were going to school in La Paz in the 60s, Gustavo Diaz Ordaz--PRI's candidate and therefore president-to-be--came to town, so school children were bussed to the airport to greet him. But since that day was already scheduled as a school holiday, they got an extra free day to make up for the one they missed by going to the airport (where they ran around berserk) instead of going to classes.

ChiDoc, I salute you! Hardly anybody ever has the balls to say they don't like kids. I suspect that some people don't discover this until after they produce a few. Too bad there's no way to return them.

Lera

\"Very few things happen at the right time, and the rest never happen at all. The conscientious historian will correct these defects.\" - Mark Twain
lindsay
Nomad

[*] posted on 11-3-2004 at 04:29 PM
Another Two Cents...

It's been interesting to read this thread and everyone's views. I worked with Mulege's prepa CECyT for two years training high school students to be bilingual guides in the town's museum. It was a great experience and I learned a lot about the town's education system. The views and experiences that have been shared in this thread, I can say I saw too. I have also seen it as an educator in the U.S. Part of the challenge of producing and retaining great teachers comes from the educational culture surrounding our schools. The skills and knowledge that our communities value will influence our educational systems. How students are taught in schools and how parents view their involvement in the educational process is another piece of the puzzle. It's complex stuff and when communities do not have the resources or leadership to reflect on these topics, asking the tough question, "What makes a great and useful education for our kids?" may not get asked. I think many of us here would agree, one size does not fit all. Lastly, I think that one of the greatest educational gifts that young people can be given by all of us, not just teachers at school, is a love of discovery...I know it may sound too touchy-feely but if you are curious and looking to learn....that's half the battle...In Mulege, I can say firsthand, I saw both types of teachers, the ones that were talented motivators and ones passing time. However, as I wrote earlier, we can find the same situation here in the U.S. if we are in schools and communities that allow a "slacker" atmosphere to exist. Anyway, it was interesting to see all your views. I'm actually off to Mulege tomorrow and will be visiting CECyT so maybe I'll post my impressions after the vacation. Thanks again for the thought provoking ideas and opinions!! Hasta Pronto!!
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

lol.gif posted on 11-3-2004 at 07:41 PM
Well, now that the feathers are ruffled

Here's what dis is about Dr. phd. And Lera, have you had this discussion with Steve?:lol:
Don't know why I am having this conversation with someone who doesn't like kids, and I sure hope you don't, but, thanks for the help in getting it going for the other "non educated" people like me.
I see a light in these kids eyes when they are talking about school. That's because their parents have taught them from day one about the importance of an education.

Something the parent's couldn't have even dreamed of but recently it has become possible for most here.

I have spent a lot of time with these families and even helped with homework and it is a blast, especially with my limited vocabulary in either language. Learning is turned into a fun time at home while stressing the value of learning the lessons. In school, it's not about fun. It's about learning. And they had better!

Baja is changing faster than most are aware of and the people that live here see what is going on. And they are aware that just being a ranchero or pangero is not going to cut it when it comes to dealing with the future if they want to continue owning their property rather than working as some gringo slave!

So they stress the importance of an education. Which starts with spelling. How on earth do you learn anything about any other subject if you can't understand what is being read about it ?
This is the cause of our kids just being pushed through school as an assembly line of stupidity. And yes, I said stupidity! Read the papers!!

Now, there are two parties to blame in my opinion and lazy kids have nothing to do with it.
Lazy parenting is more on target and here's what the outcome of that is. The parents skated through school without receiving much of an education other than a diploma to prove they were there.
So now the kids of these boomers are getting away with the same thing except it has become worse. All you need is your diploma , the education really doesn't matter. Unless of course you have rich relatives, then it doesn't matter one way or tuther!

After growing up in gringo schools, I have been pretty taken aback by what I see going on in the places I visit. These people want to learn! No laziness, no nonsense, no assembly line.
And the parents are involved. No slackers!!
My point is, I think that if there are any gringos out there that do like children, a very easy way to help them with their education is to become involved with it.
Make sure they are learning, talk to their teachers.
Don't let your child become an assembly line victim. And don't depend on the teacher or childcare to make sure they are learning. It is up to us, as parents to make sure our children aren't 2nd or 3rd class in education. Which they are becoming before our very eyes.
It will just get worse if nothing is said and the usual gringo laziness of " ignore it and it might get better". Righty-oh
Lazy kids and incompetent teachers are no excuse!
Just a thought in case anybody does care. By the way, these Mexican kids will be beating the gringos in baseball pretty soon too. Like the Japanese!
And you can get a pretty mean apple pie in Guadalupe Valley!
Parenting !

bajalera
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-3-2004 at 10:42 PM

JR, I don't know what you think I might have discussed with Steve, but all three of my grown-up kids consider my addicition to the Nomad forums to be a bit strange. We're all good friends, so I consider this to be their problem and not mine.

Meanwhile, I really don't think you should say unkind things about people who admit they don't like kids. More than a few people share this view but just never get around to admitting it, even to their Significant Others (I was once married to one of them).

Lera

\"Very few things happen at the right time, and the rest never happen at all. The conscientious historian will correct these defects.\" - Mark Twain
jrbaja
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-4-2004 at 07:50 AM
Sorry Lera

This statement was meant for the grrls.
"Don't know why I am having this conversation with someone who doesn't like kids, and I sure hope you don't, but, thanks for the help in getting it going for the other "non educated" people like me."
I think maybe there are way too many folks that don't like kids and unfortunately, have them anyway. And it's quite evident who these kids are later in life.
I was teasing you about talking to Steve. It is also quite evident the love you have for each other.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.