BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  
Author: Subject: Living in Mulege year round?
healthdetective
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-28-2013 at 07:48 AM
Living in Mulege year round?

Hello all,

I am thinking of relocating to Mulege full time. Total time spent in Mulege in the past couple of years was 10 months rv'ing on Santispac. (5 months over two winters)

My questions are many and anyone with 'boots on the ground' in Baja Sur esp. Mulege feel free to chime in.

Are properties available with or without house on the outskirts of Mulege that have water and phone? (Quiet is important to me when I want it)

Is DSL available in/around town?

Are the summer months as brutal as people say?

Any general advice? (Broad question I know but unfortunately I don't know what I don't know...you know!)

A little background about me if it helps gauge anything.
47 year old straight single male
Grew up in NYC but I have lived in a town of 2000 for 8 years
Have spent a year living in Costa Rica
Have done a fair amount of travel outside the USA
I do have passive income that covers more than my needs

Looking to live my life in peace, raise a garden (important) , walk the dogs on the beach (but not live on it or in the flood plan) Ride my motorcycle and learn to fish. Have a glass of wine or two with my lunch and not worry about getting tazed.

Also should somewhere in the midst of me making my life there should I meet a quality woman to share it all with that would be the icing on my already tasty cake.

Any advice is certainly appreciated (I do plan on coming down the end of February for a while with the 'what if I were to stay hear long term' mindset.

Thank you
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 1-28-2013 at 08:11 AM

Welcome to our world. I don't live in Mulege so can't answer your questions with any personal knowledge. But.... Summers are Hot & Humid so you want AC. A suggestion would be to google Mulege homes for sale. Good luck

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-28-2013 at 08:34 AM

welcome to bajanomad - If I were you, I would spend more time renting in Mulege and check out other towns (Loreto) before you make that final decision. Stay thru the summer and see if it is brutal to you. Most people I know LEAVE the sea of cortez all summer long. The heat is unbearable, for most, but not all.

Good luck in your search for Paradise - we found our version !

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-28-2013 at 08:50 AM

Learn Spanish if you don't already speak it. You also need to go through the visa hurdles to live in Mexico. July is our favorite month down there but you should go in the summer to feel the weather in August and September!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 1-28-2013 at 09:15 AM

welcome to the Nomad sanbox...we look forward to hearing about your journey to happiness moving to baja like so many of us have! Suerte...I'm sure you will get lots of advice.

By all means rent in Mulege in the summer before you buy...many people cannot stand the heat & humidity. Central baja is wonderful as it is still a day's drive to the USA or to La Paz...it's close to lots of great things to see and do and less populated than other areas.

Check out lots of places and you will find one that sings to you!
(check your U2U up in the top right corner by the log in)

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
bajacalifornian
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-28-2013 at 09:22 AM

Welcome! Fortunate you are with your plan.

Live in the Baja full time. Share warmest time periods with the Pacific side, at your man cave.

Don't underestimate, for example El Pescadero, for a get away home.

Half of Baja is for sale. The other is for rent. You can find anything you want. What you want may have incomplete paperwork to achieve your ownership. If so, continue your search. My experience with more than a dozen in B.C.S., Mexican Law is your ally. Have correct paperwork. Drug war outa the news, economy as was worried about outa the news . . . many more folks venturing this way. No longer outwardly fearful about bringing Harleys on a ride. Beaches in your area of interest are largely often occupied. New cinder block is stacking up. Times they are a changing.

You will live life as you describe, along any coastline.

Turn up your noise filters. Much is written with a negative bend.

American by birth, Mexican by choice.

Signature addendum: Danish physicist — Niels Bohr — who said, “The opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth.
Jeff Petersen
Pompano
Elite Nomad

Mood: Optimistic

[*] posted on 1-28-2013 at 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by healthdetective
Hello all,

I am thinking of relocating to Mulege full time. Total time spent in Mulege in the past couple of years was 10 months rv'ing on Santispac. (5 months over two winters)

My questions are many and anyone with 'boots on the ground' in Baja Sur esp. Mulege feel free to chime in.

Are properties available with or without house on the outskirts of Mulege that have water and phone? (Quiet is important to me when I want it) Yes, water, power, and phone available.

Is DSL available in/around town? Yes

Are the summer months as brutal as people say? Yes...and worse

Any general advice? (Broad question I know but unfortunately I don't know what I don't know...you know!) Rent first for a full year, especially experience summer months, then decide. Learn the language...and Buena Suerte!

A little background about me if it helps gauge anything.
47 year old straight single male
Grew up in NYC but I have lived in a town of 2000 for 8 years
Have spent a year living in Costa Rica
Have done a fair amount of travel outside the USA
I do have passive income that covers more than my needs

Looking to live my life in peace, raise a garden (important) , walk the dogs on the beach (but not live on it or in the flood plan) Ride my motorcycle and learn to fish. Have a glass of wine or two with my lunch and not worry about getting tazed.

Here's just one Mulege home for sale:

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=62505

Also should somewhere in the midst of me making my life there should I meet a quality woman to share it all with that would be the icing on my already tasty cake.

Any advice is certainly appreciated (I do plan on coming down the end of February for a while with the 'what if I were to stay hear long term' mindset.

Thank you

I do what the voices in my tackle box tell me.
cessna821
Nomad

[*] posted on 1-28-2013 at 09:55 AM

Hi Pompano,

Thank you for the mention.

Details via email - fordintra@gmail.com
Mulegena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-28-2013 at 11:39 AM

Hi, and welcome!

Loma Azul in Mulege is out by the lighthouse and is a great place to live. You're walking distance to the beach or into town and its quiet. Amenities are readily available. The ejido is issuing full-title to all properties there and is opening up many acres for housing.

Come rent in town with your rv in Huerta Don Chano, also walking distance to town and the beach, also with wifi and other amenities, also quiet.

Give me a shout on u2u. I'm a year-'rounder here in Mulege, btw.

"Raise your words, not your voice. It's rain that grows flowers, not thunder." ~Rumi

"It's the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~ Aristotle
willyAirstream
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-28-2013 at 12:19 PM

I live in Mulege full time. In August, I escape for a few weeks to the Pacific side. AC is a must.
Many properties for sale and rent in town and on the outskirts with utilities. Suggest you stay somewhere for a month to find a place to rent for a year. Arrangements for purchase or rent vary wildly, so you will need to get to know the area as well as sellers and landlords before you commit. Non Lucrative Immigrate Visa is easy. aka FM3.
Stop in when you come down and I can show around and give you some contacts.
My blog may answer some of your questions also.

absinvestor
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-28-2013 at 12:33 PM

Regarding the weather, I agree with Pompano We have lived in Bakersfield Ca and Marietta, Georgia. In Bakersfield we went 63 days of never under 100 ie 110-115 during the days and cooling to around 102 at night. (We were hot but never miserable.) Georgia is famous for the humidity. (Again, humid and maybe uncomfortable but never miserable.) We thought we knew about and loved heat/humidity. People warned us about the Mulege heat but we thought they were exagerrating and we would adjust. It never cools and the humidity is brutal. Even though we lived on the beach within 6 feet of Bajia de Concepcion brutal does not adequately describe the summer heat!!
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 1-28-2013 at 01:08 PM

the BEST advice given here was
you should come in the summer and check it out

summer is the BEST time of year
the fish bite and the water is warm

most of the snow-birds are gone and never experience summer
by the month of MAY it's too hot and they flee

people living in houses with tin roofs sre hot
places that are "protected" from the wind roast

of course...don't get me wrong...it's HOT and humid but...
we have air-conditioning...and a pool

plan ahead...

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
DavidE
Ultra Nomad

Mood: 'At home we demand facts and get them. In Mexico one subsists on rumor and never demands anything.' Charles Flandrau,

[*] posted on 1-28-2013 at 01:30 PM

In Michoacan, I am building a small casita.

The bedroom will be the main room for computer, bed, and recliner for reading. The entire bedroom is insulated 100%. Ceiling, floor, walls, windows, including tint, and double pane. That way I can use a 5,000 BTU through the wall A/C unit and not have to run it 24/7. The ceiling has 4" of rigid insulation as does the floor. Two inches in the walls. The door is insulation clad and has an overlay of wood panel.

Whole house fans. The refrigerator is totally boxed in with convection condenser cooling.

The stove has a SERIOUS exhaust fan.

The Yucatecans had it right when they built with ten foot ceilings. Allows the concrete roof to heat up but enough space overhead to not allow heat to be radiated downward. Mulege is Point Barrow, compared to Merida or Valladolid. I use insect screen convection to allow house heat to escape. Also total shade on the north and west sides of the dwelling. Find a way to shade the roof. Whatever it takes.

One summer, I saw the temperature in Sta Rosalia at 120+, the locals evacuated up onto the mesas. They said the heat below was "peligroso".

A Lot To See And A Lot To Do
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 1-28-2013 at 01:42 PM

the average temp in the summer in mulege is only 100f...

its the humidity that people can't stand
you sweat bullets

i have never see 120f in mulege...
but that doesnt mean it can't happen one day

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
Pescador
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 1-28-2013 at 01:48 PM

I have lived in San Bruno for over 5 years and the stories about the high temps are for the most part just stories. I love how some people make such a big deal out of the weather and temps. Well, guess what, the locals live here year round and they seem to be surviving and doing quite well. I used to live in Northern Colorado above 8500 feet and we had weeks on end where things never got above 0 degrees F and if you can learn to live with that, you can learn to live with anything.
You need to follow some of the great advise here and spend some time and then find out if it is your thing. I have had a lot of friends who did that and changed their mind and ended up in other places, but I have also had friends that thought it was wonderful and ended up as a permanent resident. I like small towns and Mulege is right on the edge of being too heavily populated (especially in the winter) but you have to decide what works for your needs. I like living in a small town with a mix of local people and a few tourists but others prefer living in predominately Norteamericano communities. Again personal preference. Some people prefer the Pacific side while others think the Sea of Cortez side is the very best. Again personal preference.

So, do yourself a big favor, travel around, spend some time in a place that catches your fancy, rent for awhile (cause there is a lot of property available right now) and see where you want to be on a more permanent basis.

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 1-28-2013 at 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by absinvestor
Regarding the weather, I agree with Pompano We have lived in Bakersfield Ca and Marietta, Georgia. In Bakersfield we went 63 days of never under 100 ie 110-115 during the days and cooling to around 102 at night. (We were hot but never miserable.) Georgia is famous for the humidity. (Again, humid and maybe uncomfortable but never miserable.) We thought we knew about and loved heat/humidity. People warned us about the Mulege heat but we thought they were exagerrating and we would adjust. It never cools and the humidity is brutal. Even though we lived on the beach within 6 feet of Bajia de Concepcion brutal does not adequately describe the summer heat!!

sounds like the pacific side is the place to be! :light:

by the way, san diego has PERFECT weather. rarely heat the house, and don't need AC :bounce::bounce::bounce:
healthdetective
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-28-2013 at 05:46 PM

Thank you all for being generous with your time in responding as well as offers to meet up and help out. I now have some points of reference to help make my decision.
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-28-2013 at 06:01 PM

Bahia Asuncion may just surprise you... it is on the Pacific, but free of the typical gloomy summer weather, and warmer in the winter than Ensenada as it is hundreds of miles closer to the tropics... many Nomads have homes there now.. and some are for sale (see Diana T posts)! Paved road all the way (some potholes, but being repaired)... just a thought!?

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 1-28-2013 at 06:19 PM

Don't ruin the place, DK.

The are enough residents there now, and any more would put a strain on the domestic services now available.

AND...don't forget the craters they call "pot holes.":spingrin:

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

desertcpl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-28-2013 at 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Pescador
I have lived in San Bruno for over 5 years and the stories about the high temps are for the most part just stories. I love how some people make such a big deal out of the weather and temps. Well, guess what, the locals live here year round and they seem to be surviving and doing quite well. I used to live in Northern Colorado above 8500 feet and we had weeks on end where things never got above 0 degrees F and if you can learn to live with that, you can learn to live with anything.
You need to follow some of the great advise here and spend some time and then find out if it is your thing. I have had a lot of friends who did that and changed their mind and ended up in other places, but I have also had friends that thought it was wonderful and ended up as a permanent resident. I like small towns and Mulege is right on the edge of being too heavily populated (especially in the winter) but you have to decide what works for your needs. I like living in a small town with a mix of local people and a few tourists but others prefer living in predominately Norteamericano communities. Again personal preference. Some people prefer the Pacific side while others think the Sea of Cortez side is the very best. Again personal preference.

So, do yourself a big favor, travel around, spend some time in a place that catches your fancy, rent for awhile (cause there is a lot of property available right now) and see where you want to be on a more permanent basis.

I think I like this reply the best,,
I came from Long Beach.Calif
and ended up in Yuma,az.. think heat,, you bet
the worst heat is the humidity in the summer months, Aug Sept,, but to be honest with you we have alot of fun during this time as we spend it on the river, its not that bad, its learning to adapt a little, and we dont have to put up with the snowbirds LOL just kidding,,
 Pages:  1  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.