BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Living in Mulege year round?
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 1-28-2013 at 07:15 PM

Udo, I'm not quite sure what you mean by strain the domestic services?

Bahia Asuncion has a vibrant economy with many new homes being built...by and for mexicans as families grow. I dont see that as ruining this beautiful place. It's lovely to get new blood and new ideas(and new pot luck dishes!!!hahaha)...growth can be positive.

With a growing population comes better services like a bank for example, gas station, more stores & restaurants and improved economy for the existing businesses. True, the phone lines are saturated but we are told that Telmex is extending it's service to accommodate 1,000 more phonelines.

Half the pot holed part of the road has been repaired and the 2nd half will be fixed also beginning soon.

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 1-28-2013 at 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Udo
Don't ruin the place, DK.

The are enough residents there now, and any more would put a strain on the domestic services now available.

AND...don't forget the craters they call "pot holes.":spingrin:

Ah ha... now that your there, right? LOL, well, if he buys Diana T's place than that is a not an increase in number of gringos there, right?:light:

Okay... forget I mentioned Bahia Asuncion... it's far too cool if you are thinking Mulege year-round! :lol:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

BajaBlanca
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 1-28-2013 at 07:52 PM

I second the vote for the Pacific side - you can always go and swim in the sea of cortez for the day but you will be living in very nice temps .... Bahia Asuncion is really beautiful.

Come visit La Bocana

https://sites.google.com/view/bajabocanahotel/home

And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away.
bajalinda
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-29-2013 at 08:33 AM

As a couple others have mentioned, you need to spend the summer months on the Sea of Cortez side - I can't stress that enough. We did and that's why we live year-round on the Pacific side. Some people thrive on the heat and humidity (and yes, it's brutal), others don't. There are also a few members of this board who live on the Sea of Cortez side and who have a place on the Pacific that they escape to in the summer - that's another option.

You might also want to find out how much electric bills run in the summer months in the area you are considering - air-conditioning can really run up your bill. We don't need it here - yes, it gets hot in the summer (but it's a good 10 to 15 degrees cooler than the other side) - and with the ocean breeze and a couple of fans....air-conditioning is not necessary.
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 1-29-2013 at 08:43 AM

You read the remark as it was supposed to be DK!

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Quote:
Originally posted by Udo
Don't ruin the place, DK.

The are enough residents there now, and any more would put a strain on the domestic services now available.

AND...don't forget the craters they call "pot holes.":spingrin:

Ah ha... now that your there, right? LOL, well, if he buys Diana T's place than that is a not an increase in number of gringos there, right?:light:

Okay... forget I mentioned Bahia Asuncion... it's far too cool if you are thinking Mulege year-round! :lol:
:bounce:

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

vandenberg
Elite Nomad

Mood: mellow

[*] posted on 1-29-2013 at 02:57 PM

We live in Nopolo, which has the same summers as Mulege, nice and comfy.:P:biggrin:
The thing is, if you want to get out of the heat and humidity in July, Aug & Sept, you need either a second place somewhere or spend a small fortune staying somewhere. So, instead, spend te additional money on A/C, in our case, an additional $150 to $200 a month and be comfortable. Comes down to $5 to $7 a day. Where can you go for that kind of money?
And the ocean is nice and warm. Read a book under a palapa, walk on the beach and swim and snorkel to your hearts content. Not to mention the fishing is great and the kayaking out of this world, and gorgeous scenery.
We've been here for over 20 years and never a moment of regret.

I think my photographic memory ran out of film

Air Evacuation go to
http://www.loretobarbara@skymed.com
Mula
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 1-29-2013 at 03:55 PM

We have a place between Mulege and Loreto on the Sea of Cortez.
It is a nice dry heat with an afternoon breeze.
I was here for 4 summers with only a car fan - 12 volt - running at night over my bed.

Then we bought a place on the Pacific side - Puerto A. Lopez Mateos when surgery rehab and a paved road was necessary. It is VERY humid on the Pacific in Lopez.

We finally put an air conditioner in the Lopez house last September and got 10 gallons of water pulled out of the living room/dining room air every 24 hours.

And when we finally can not handle the heat every day in San Nicolas, we will pack up the mules, 2 wheelie, trucks, panga and dogs - and move back to the Lopez place . . . until it gets too cold and damp in December . . . and move back to San Nicolas. . .

a 4 hour drive.

Still better than living in the States.
DavidE
Ultra Nomad

Mood: 'At home we demand facts and get them. In Mexico one subsists on rumor and never demands anything.' Charles Flandrau,

[*] posted on 1-29-2013 at 04:47 PM

It "depends" where you are in Mulege.

Downtown along the river with little breeze, it is a lot more uncomfortable than up on the mesa. Bahia Concepcion can get very warm and humid because the mountains block the southeasterly breezes.

I would think Sta Rosalia got to 120F because it is located in a ravine, with zero breeze. I would be very careful with the "never's" when weather is concerned after all the flooding the last few years.

And different folks have different tolerance for heat and cold. I am now too freakin' old and cold weather now bothers me when it never used to.

"Doesn't bother the natives?"
Yeah, right. Liked to have been around when a crack like that was made to the locals in Mulege around 15 years ago. August. They dragged all their mattresses and bedding outside to sleep with the zancudos rather than face another night of misery sleeping inside. A person cannot pontificate a "cover's it all" statement unless they have spent summers on the shore of the gulf, inside, on the bay of concepcion, and downtown. The climate and comfort level is markedly different. The least offensive late summer weather IMHO is somewhere exposed like El Naranjo, or Shell Beach at Punta Chivato.

When a person thinks he or she is "acclimated", a true blue "I can take it" transplant, take a trip to Santa Rosalia and spend an hour downtown.

The most dangerous hot weather I have ever experienced in Mexico was 122F in Ciudad Obregon 30 years ago, and the same temperature in Sonoyta just three years ago. But the killer was 119F in Merida Yucatan with 67% humidity. A lot of people died, including Maya indigenous. The DEW POINT was in the mid-nineties.

And not only no, but HELL NO, I can't take that type of extremes.

A Lot To See And A Lot To Do
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 1-29-2013 at 04:55 PM

I will second the heat in Ciudad Obregon when I was there on a business trip a few years ago.

unfrikkin believable!
About as bad as Heber, CA. during the hay season. It also was 122F and rode my motorcycle. Had to stop every 1/2 hour and hose myself with someones water faucet.

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

absinvestor
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 1-30-2013 at 11:44 AM

MtGoat666- We lived on the pacific side but the winters were too chilly for us. (I needed a wetsuit to enter the water etc.) San Diego is beautiful but out of my price range. We still prefer the Sea of Cortez side for 8 months of the year.
chuckie
Elite Nomad

Mood: Weary

[*] posted on 1-30-2013 at 06:05 PM

I have lived in Mulege on and off for 32 years. I have lived on both sides of the river down in the fashionable district, and now live in Loma Azul. Many of the "fashionable" folks, denigrate Loma Azul..windy, too many mexicans etc...BUT BUT when they are up to their butts in mud, or when it is really hot,up the hill they come....AND when they leave for "the season" we hear, can I leave my car/truck/boat/stuff at your place? Do your research, excercise common sense, and do something based on that....

Kgryfon
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 2-17-2013 at 05:59 PM

DavidE:
The Yucatecans had it right when they built with ten foot ceilings. Allows the concrete roof to heat up but enough space overhead to not allow heat to be radiated downward. Mulege is Point Barrow, compared to Merida or Valladolid.

What do you mean by the Merida/Point Barrow comparison? Just curious.
cessna821
Nomad

[*] posted on 2-17-2013 at 07:30 PM

We lived full time in Mulege for five years. To live happily through the hot summer days this is what we found we needed.......

1. Outside electrical points near shaded seating areas .....so you can have a pedestal fan that you can use in the garden if there isn't a breeze blowing.
2. Tall trees to sit under.
3. High ceilings in your home.
4. Your roof painted white ....amazing the difference this made.
5. An air conditioner to cool your bedroom at night.
6. A mosquito net over your bed so you sleep naked happily.
7. To go to bed wet, especially your hair and sleep on a large towel. Wearing a pair of wet socks is good too.
8. To have lots and lots of cool drinks.
9. An Australian cure for too much sun is to drink cold milk.... It works.
10. An outside kitchen.
11. To install an outside shower or hose yourself down.
12. Mosquito screens on your windows so you can leave them open, epecially at night.
13. On your sun facing windows ...... curtains you can close to keep the sun out.
14. Wear nothing but cotton clothing.

[Edited on 2-18-2013 by cessna821]
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 2-18-2013 at 05:59 AM

these are all great ideas...that work

the temps rarely exceed 100f degrees but it's really humid...
i take pics of the temp all summer

the olny thing i'd add is build a pool:lol::lol:

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
MitchMan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-18-2013 at 12:03 PM

People differ in their abilities to take the heat. Was at a nomad get together a couple of years back in La Paz in August. Most of the nomads that showed up were year round residents for the most part. I was surprised to see the amount of suffering and sweating that some of those nomads were going through. I, on the other hand, am only a Baja part timer but I was able to withstand the heat much better than most of those suffering year round nomads.

Everytime I go to La Paz during the summer, it is really a bit uncomfortable for the first two or three days until I get acclimated. It seems like it gets cooler after three days, but really it is just acclimation.

If you are going to buy a place to live on a semi-permanent basis in the hot part of Baja, spend the additional two thousand USD to get good, solid, and 'more than adequate' air conditioning. Have good quality an well installed screens and screen doors installed as well in order to take advantage early morning and night time cooler air. That will help save on electricity by 30% during the hot months.

When I get to La Paz in the summer months, I use 24 KWH per day of electricity mostly to power the a/c (about $1.75/day USD). After one week, I get buy with about 12 to 14 total KWH per day (about $1.00/day USD). Now if I were there for the entire 2 month billing period, I would be paying more per day for electricity (possibly 50% more) as I would be paying higher rates. My Baja house has only 850 sq ft of living space and I have 5.5 tons of minisplit a/c. Wished I had 6.5 tons.

[Edited on 2-18-2013 by MitchMan]
DianaT
Select Nomad

[*] posted on 2-18-2013 at 12:16 PM

I don't know why, but I think some people just acclimate to different climates faster. Even living for over a year in the semi-tropics of Honduras, I NEVER acclimated while John did quite well in a short time.

Now we are where it is colder than we are used to and I am acclimating quicker.

I love Mulege, but for me, year round would not be good.

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 2-18-2013 at 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by cessna821
We lived full time in Mulege for five years. To live happily through the hot summer days this is what we found we needed.......

1. Outside electrical points near shaded seating areas .....so you can have a pedestal fan that you can use in the garden if there isn't a breeze blowing.
2. Tall trees to sit under.
3. High ceilings in your home.
4. Your roof painted white ....amazing the difference this made.
5. An air conditioner to cool your bedroom at night.
6. A mosquito net over your bed so you sleep naked happily.
7. To go to bed wet, especially your hair and sleep on a large towel. Wearing a pair of wet socks is good too.
8. To have lots and lots of cool drinks.
9. An Australian cure for too much sun is to drink cold milk.... It works.
10. An outside kitchen.
11. To install an outside shower or hose yourself down.
12. Mosquito screens on your windows so you can leave them open, epecially at night.
13. On your sun facing windows ...... curtains you can close to keep the sun out.
14. Wear nothing but cotton clothing.

[Edited on 2-18-2013 by cessna821]

one thing you left off your list, sleep in hammock, it's cooler than sleeping on mattress. do people build hammock hooks into walls in local construction?

also, instead of white curtains, try awnings that extend from wall to shade windows, or try shade sails to shield whole wall of house and provide extra shade to yard

need to wear wet socks to bed? glad i live somewhere that does not get too hot :bounce:
DavidE
Ultra Nomad

Mood: 'At home we demand facts and get them. In Mexico one subsists on rumor and never demands anything.' Charles Flandrau,

[*] posted on 2-18-2013 at 12:46 PM

Mulegé vs Pt Barrow...

Meant as comical sarcasm.

Mulegé is considered "hot" when the thermometer climbs to 100F

Mérida is considered "hot" when temps climb to 118F

In April, May and June, Mérida is far warmer than even La Paz is in July and August.

A Lot To See And A Lot To Do
Cypress
Elite Nomad

Mood: undecided

[*] posted on 2-18-2013 at 03:35 PM

Grew up on the MS gulf coast without air conditioning. Mulege in the summer? No problemo.:lol:
desertcpl
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 2-18-2013 at 06:08 PM

yes every one is different when it comes to heat

I live in Yuma year around, doesn't bother me at all

well some times to be honest, when the monsoons start

the humidity can make it pretty uncomfortable, but even then

I just go with it, and so does the wife
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.