Quote:
Originally posted by Ateo
RnR rules!

Thx
David K
Honored Nomad

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 3-17-2013 at 04:28 PM

Thank you RnR for taking time to ask and share what this La Paz officer knew.

Let her know maybe, that there is no practical system in place for auto travelers to turn it in before leaving Baja CA, Mexico (i.e. no hand off booth in the northbound lanes). They (INM) actually provide a mailing address to send it back from outside of Mexico.

Interesting the thing is for research and not for 'accountability' of foreign visitors.:light:

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

skipowell
Nomad

[*] posted on 3-17-2013 at 05:01 PM

It is funny how we all get different information and answers in Mexico. In December my husband I went on a road trip to Southern Baja, being that I have been to lazy to keep my FM2 up to date I had to get a FMM. We have a house in the Rosarito area so cross the border several times a month. The agent warned me when I got my FMM to be sure to turn it in before the 180 days as they are tracking them now. I decided last trip down to go ahead and turn my in so I wont forget or lose it by June. The agent looked at my paper and then asked me if I was going into Mexico again, which I was on my way to doing when I was dropping it off. When I replied yes, he told me to wait till it is about to expire to turn it in. SO i put in in my safe not that it is going to do me any good there, and marked my calendar. SO the agent at the San Ysidro border told me NOT to turn it in yet. He knows I was coming from the US and was using it for multiple crossings.
SO who knows the real answer!
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 3-17-2013 at 06:18 PM

Thanks for your story skipowell.

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

Hook
Elite Nomad

Mood: Inquisitive

[*] posted on 3-17-2013 at 06:59 PM

I can also reiterate a story similar to skipowell. An INM agent insisted that I keep the FMM (180 day variety) if I was coming back into the country, so that I could use it again.

This was about two years ago, so it is possible things have changed. I have had an FM3/No Inmigrante/Residente Temporal card since then.

For such an important aspect of government, you'd think that Mexico would eventually get it together and be on the same page at the same time, across the country. Instead, they have changed the entire processes and cards three times in five years...............and never seem to be able to train their employees about it before they spring it on the public. This last "revision" was almost 18 months late in being released......and their agents were still befuddled.

Once upon a time many of us came to Mexico to escape all the rules and regs involved with living in the US. Now, Mexico is adding the rules and regs........but they cant agree, internally, on how to administer or enforce them from Chiapas to TJ. It's getting to be WORSE than dealing with the predictable rules and regs of the US.

Just ask anyone who lives down here. MANY are throwing in the towel and going BACK to the FMM or selling out completely. Lots of inventory over here in San Carlos.

RnR
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 3-18-2013 at 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
Thank you RnR for taking time to ask and share what this La Paz officer knew.

Let her know maybe, that there is no practical system in place for auto travelers to turn it in before leaving Baja CA, Mexico (i.e. no hand off booth in the northbound lanes). They (INM) actually provide a mailing address to send it back from outside of Mexico.

Interesting the thing is for research and not for 'accountability' of foreign visitors.:light:

The INM officer's main point was that the FMM was a single visit permit and that it is to be turned in upon your departure from Mexico.

If your preferred (or only) method of return is by mail, then to meet the intent of the law, it should be mailed in after every visit. Obviously, this choice is up to the individual.

[Edited on 3-18-2013 by RnR]
sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-18-2013 at 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by RnR

The INM officer's main point was that the FMM was a single visit permit and that it is to be turned in upon your departure from Mexico.

If your preferred (or only) method of return is by mail, then to meet the intent of the law, it should be mailed in after every visit. Obviously, this choice is up to the individual.

Hopefully this puts and end to this, but I doubt it, seems clear to me,
most of us use the fmm for more than 1 visit, but
it OBVIOUSLY was not technically intended as such

[Edited on 3-18-2013 by sancho]
Pacifico
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-18-2013 at 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by sancho
Quote:
Originally posted by RnR

Hopefully this puts and end to this, but I doubt it, seems clear to me,
most of us use the fmm for more than 1 visit, but
it OBVIOUSLY was not technically intended as such

[Edited on 3-18-2013 by sancho]

Exactly Sancho!

"Plan your life as if you are going to live forever. Live your life as if you are going to die tomorrow." - Carlos Fiesta
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 3-18-2013 at 11:37 AM

The thing seems to have been designed for the single visit tourist, arriving by air, as they actually have someone retrieve it from you, before you fly out of Mexico.

No such person for auto travelers, is located along the exit road from Mexico... So, mailing them is a workable solution! Even though you have 'left the country' before mailing it, I think that is not a crime of the law, since they acknowledge that?

However, is that return instruction or mailing address on the thing? I mean not everyone reads Baja Nomad that goes to Mexico, right?:yes:

$23 or whatever the peso amount is for 180 days 'should be' the same deal for everyone. Why punish the frequent traveler (who likely benefits Mexico more) over the one trip traveler?
:D

What kind of thank you or reward for making return visits, if you are taxed (punished/ charged/ whatever) for coming back to Mexico withing the 180 days since the first trip???
:wow:

mtgoat666
Select Nomad

Mood: Hot n spicy

[*] posted on 3-18-2013 at 11:55 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K
What kind of thank you or reward for making return visits, if you are taxed (punished/ charged/ whatever) for coming back to Mexico

DK:
you didn't get your thank you and reward last trip? they always give me a certificate of appreciation when I pick up my FMM. Last time they had a marching band and girls in bikinis welcoming me at San Ysidro immigration desk. Perhaps you should quit going to Tecate xing and go to the SY xing during regular biz hours (the bikini girls and band only present 9 to 5 weekdays)
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 3-18-2013 at 12:03 PM

:lol: Figure of speech goat... For those of us that want to earn what we make, it isn't so easy to hand over cash twice for the same thing... Maybe for you, it's no problem when cash is taken from your neighbors and handed over for someone else to use? I chose to vacation in Mexico (when I can), and want more of my vacation money to go to the people of Baja.

sancho
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 3-18-2013 at 02:32 PM

Most/many of us do not want to pay 2/3 times in
6 mo. to go to Baja, so we don't, a lot keep the fmm until
it is close to expiration, then turn it in at your
discretion, just don't claim you are within your rights
to use it for mulitiple entries, you are not, it's easy to admit you're
wrong, there is not 1 BN that knows everything about
Baja
David K
Honored Nomad

[*] posted on 3-18-2013 at 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by sancho
Most/many of us do not want to pay 2/3 times in
6 mo. to go to Baja, so we don't, a lot keep the fmm until
it is close to expiration, then turn it in at your
discretion, just don't claim you are within your rights
to use it for mulitiple entries, you are not, it's easy to admit you're
wrong, there is not 1 BN that knows everything about
Baja

That's the truth!:light:

buenasolas

[*] posted on 3-22-2013 at 02:18 PM

WOW! I forgot to check back up on this thread until today. Next time, I need to remember to check the "receive email on reply" box.

Thanks to everyone for the very informative responses. It was exactly what I was looking for, knowing the letter of the law, and also how much people have bent it.
 Pages:  1    3

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.