BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2  
Author: Subject: Ensenada Breakfast or Lunch recommendation?
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-18-2013 at 10:55 PM

Only a few more days, and we are headed to Ensenada! Looking forward to some great times there !! It's been a while for our Baja FIX !

The SAME boiling water that softens the potato hardens the egg. It's about what you are made of NOT the circumstance.
shari
Select Nomad

Mood: there is no reality except the one contained within us "Herman Hesse"

[*] posted on 6-19-2013 at 07:08 AM

I'm sure you will have a wonderful time....wish you were heading a wee further south to grace our shores again!

for info & pics of our little paradise & whale watching info
http://www.bahiaasuncion.com/
https://www.whalemagictours.com/
WideAngleWandering
Nomad

[*] posted on 6-19-2013 at 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by plumkell
We love Las Cazuelitas for breakfast. It is downstairs from the Hotel Santo Tomas.

Yes! This post wins the thread. Manta ray machaca and coffee is the most delicious and civilized way to start the day.

Traveling the Americas via my old land cruiser
EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 6-19-2013 at 09:41 AM

Have to bring up a new idea that maybe we can get started in Baja. My geometry teacher from high school is my friend on Facebook, and asked everyone today does a picture of food posted look appetizing. I answered him with a "yes" especially after seeing a clip from Yelp in San Diego on Hash House a go go, a place in Hillcrest, that serves the latest and greatest heart attack breakfast, Fried chicken and bacon waffles!!! OMG!! ok guys I have to say it sounds delicious...after taking a half a bottle of your friendly local statin medication from Farmacias similares, check this link out and let me know if you like this idea for breakfast or not?

http://www.yelp.com/weekly?editorial_id=LsXA8nL5bO9cva_p7xfN...
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 6-19-2013 at 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by EnsenadaDr
check this link out and let me know if you like this idea for breakfast or not?

That is freakin' gross. :barf:
EnsenadaDr
Banned

Mood: Move on. It is just a chapter in the past, but don't close the book- just turn the page

[*] posted on 6-19-2013 at 09:54 AM

Dennis, you are LYING!! I know you would love it, you love bacon and fried chicken!!
durrelllrobert
Elite Nomad

Mood: thriving in Baja

[*] posted on 6-19-2013 at 10:01 AM
Don't know where Hillcrest fits into this but ....

There are to variants of this:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicken_and_waffles‎

Soul food version
The best known chicken and waffle pairing comes from the American soul food tradition and uses fried chicken. The waffle is served much as it would be at breakfast time, with condiments like butter and syrup. This unusual combination of foods is beloved by many people who are influenced by traditions of soul food passed down from past generations of their families.

Pennsylvania Dutch version
The traditional Pennsylvania Dutch version consists of a plain waffle with pulled, stewed chicken on top, covered in gravy. It is generally found in the Northeastern United States.

History
The exact origins of this dish are unknown, although several theories about its origin exist. One such theory is that waffles entered American cuisine in the 1790s after Thomas Jefferson’s purchase of a waffle iron from France. Recipes for waffles and chicken soon appeared in cookbooks. Because African Americans in the South rarely had the opportunity to eat chicken and were more familiar with flapjacks or pancakes than with waffles, they considered the dish a delicacy. For decades, it remained “a special-occasion meal in African American families.”

Other historians place the origin later, after the post-Civil War migration of African Americans to the North. Fried chicken was a common breakfast meat, and serving “a breakfast bread with whatever meat [was available] comes out of the rural tradition.” The combination of chicken and waffles does not appear in early Southern cookbooks such as Mrs. Porter’s Southern Cookery Book, published in 1871 or in What Mrs. Fisher Knows About Old Southern Cooking, published in 1881 by former slave Abby Fisher. Fisher’s cookbook is generally considered the first cookbook written by an African American. The lack of a recipe for the combination of chicken and waffles in Southern cookbooks from the era may suggest a later origin for the dish, although it is also possible that the two foods were simply traditionally served together and were not considered a single dish.

Bob Durrell
Bob H
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-19-2013 at 10:50 PM

Looks like a Hi-Jack thread.... still interested in places to eat LOCAL in Ensenada area.... lol

The SAME boiling water that softens the potato hardens the egg. It's about what you are made of NOT the circumstance.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 6-20-2013 at 08:03 AM

Nobody has mentioned one of your old favorites, Bob........Cocteleria Mazatlan, out by the bus station.
David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-20-2013 at 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Nobody has mentioned one of your old favorites, Bob........Cocteleria Mazatlan, out by the bus station.

http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=43531

[Edited on 6-20-2013 by David K]

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 6-20-2013 at 09:13 AM

Thanks, David, for the step back in time. That was fun.
Gypsy Jan
Ultra Nomad

Mood: Depends on which way the wind is blowing

[*] posted on 6-20-2013 at 11:16 AM
Big Thumbs Up for Cocteleria Mazatlan

Their seafood is delicious and impeccably fresh.

Besides those insanely good stuffed clams, I love the oysters on the half shell.

Don't forget the bucket of beer - if that is your sort of thing at breakfast (as the guy on the TV show in response to a critical remark when he asked for a drink, after arriving extremely jet-lagged, at 8:00 am, "Float a Cheerio in it!").

[Edited on 6-20-2013 by Gypsy Jan]

“Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry, and narrow mindedness.”
—Mark Twain

\"La vida es dura, el corazon es puro, y cantamos hasta la madrugada.” (Life is hard, the heart is pure and we sing until dawn.)
—Kirsty MacColl, Mambo de la Luna

\"Alea iacta est.\"
—Julius Caesar
Bajahowodd
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-20-2013 at 05:00 PM

My vote is still for Las Cazuelas, on Delante just off Costero, next to the donut shop.

They have professional waiters, large menu,great food, and a homey, clubby atmosphere, similar to Malarrimo in GN.
David K
Honored Nomad

Member Is Online

Mood: Have Baja Fever

[*] posted on 6-20-2013 at 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by DENNIS
Thanks, David, for the step back in time. That was fun.

There is a ton of great reading and photography here on Baja Nomad... now going back nearly 11 years!

Big thank you to Doug Means ('BajaNomad') for keeping this web site online!!!

"So Much Baja, So Little Time..."

See the NEW www.VivaBaja.com for maps, travel articles, links, trip photos, and more!
Baja Missions and History On Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/bajamissions/
Camping, off-roading, Viva Baja discussion: https://www.facebook.com/groups/vivabaja

DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 6-20-2013 at 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajahowodd
My vote is still for Las Cazuelas, on Delante just off Costero, next to the donut shop.

That would be Tutti Donas. Just forget Las Cazuelas and get a bag full of Tutti's Apple Fritters , hot outa the oven. :yes:
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 6-20-2013 at 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by David K

There is a ton of great reading and photography here on Baja Nomad... now going back nearly 11 years!

Big thank you to Doug Means ('BajaNomad') for keeping this web site online!!!

I noticed a post by Pompano/Roger in that thread. Has anyone heard from or about him? He's been AWOL for a while.
EnsenadaDr
Banned

[*] posted on 6-21-2013 at 08:57 AM

On your way to Valle de Guadalupe there is a restaurant on the right in San Antonio de las Minas that has been recently redone called Leonard's and it looks jammed packed with cars in the morning...I have always wanted to stop there. You know San Antonio is known for the mile high apple pie made with delicious cinnamon sugar coated thinly sliced apples layered with cheese, irresistible when heated.
J.P.
Super Nomad

Mood: Easy Does It

[*] posted on 6-21-2013 at 09:01 AM

Quote:
On your way to Valle de Guadalupe there is a restaurant on the right in San Antonio de las Minas that has been recently redone called Leonard's and it looks jammed packed with cars in the morning...I have always wanted to stop there. You know San Antonio is known for the mile high apple pie made with delicious cinnamon sugar coated thinly sliced apples layered with cheese, irresistible when heated.

In that area Leonard's is the go too place they have a very good bakery there also.
EnsenadaDr
Banned

[*] posted on 6-21-2013 at 09:06 AM

Yes I picked up the apple pie at the bakery near there, they have many delicious pastries there, and you can get the pie with or without cheese...I think San Antonio de las Minas apple pie is better than any I have ever eaten, including back east and Julian pie. Has anyone eaten at Leonard's?
Quote:
Originally posted by J.P.[/
Quote:

In that area Leonard's is the go too place they have a very good bakery there also.
J.P.
Super Nomad

Mood: Easy Does It

[*] posted on 6-21-2013 at 09:13 AM

Quote:
Yes I picked up the apple pie at the bakery near there, they have many delicious pastries there, and you can get the pie with or without cheese...I think San Antonio de las Minas apple pie is better than any I have ever eaten, including back east and Julian pie. Has anyone eaten at Leonard's?
Quote:
Originally posted by J.P.[/
Quote:

YES ever chance we get :?::?:
 Pages:  1  2  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.