Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2    4  
Author: Subject: SOUTH DAKOTA...THE DEFINITIVE GUIDE
Udo
Elite Nomad

Mood: TEQUILA!

[*] posted on 10-6-2013 at 08:37 AM

Thanks for the rules explanation about importing cars. That is the most comprehensive writing I have seen to date.

To Ed:
My one sentence explanation was not sufficient, thanks to Bob...but now you see that it is not worth nationalizing a car in Baja. Stick with South Dakota (today's weather there made news headlines: 4 feet of snow! We REALLY got out of there just in time. One day it is 74 degrees, the next day it starts to snow and it stops at 4 feet!

We really got lucky!

Udo

Youth is wasted on the young!

bajalearner
Senior Nomad

Mood: in search of more

[*] posted on 3-25-2014 at 07:00 PM

Can someone clarify what the "gold star" is and what is required to obtain the star on a new DL?

I am gearing up to move my residency to SD and register my cars there.
bajalearner
Senior Nomad

Mood: in search of more

[*] posted on 3-25-2014 at 07:24 PM

Can anyone recommend a PMB service in Rapid City?
Udo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-26-2014 at 07:42 AM

http://www.Americas-mailbox.com

[Edited on 4-15-2015 by Udo]

Udo

Udo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-26-2014 at 07:51 AM

The GOLD STAR is obtained when one presents at least two (2) federally issued IDs.
Can be a combination of w-2, social security card, US passport.
You also have to give up your current state's driver's license. The process of filling out the form takes about 5 minutes. They then take your photo, and immediately hand you your SDDL on the spot.
The motel at http://www.americas-mailbox.com will have all your residency paperwork filled out for you when you check in. They are located about two miles from the DMV office, which is not open on Mondays.

It can't get any easier than that!

Quote:
Originally posted by bajalearner
Can someone clarify what the "gold star" is and what is required to obtain the star on a new DL?

I am gearing up to move my residency to SD and register my cars there.

Udo

Udo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 3-26-2014 at 07:53 AM

It is not worth the hassle or the cost.

Quote:
Originally posted by lencho
Quote:
Originally posted by Udo
Why not support the state I live in?

We will only be in California a few more months, the move to Baja permanently. Why should I support the California Economy
Following that argument, you should "probably" be registering your vehicles in BCS, your chosen state of residence. :biggrin:

Udo

Mulegena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 3-26-2014 at 08:11 AM

Just re-read the thread, can't find reference:

What are the options of obtaining US insurance only as needed when entering the US from Mexico?

"Raise your words, not your voice. It's rain that grows flowers, not thunder." ~Rumi

"It's the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it." ~ Aristotle
Bajafun777
Super Nomad

Mood: Enjoying Life with Wife In Mexico, Easy on The Easy

[*] posted on 3-26-2014 at 01:37 PM

LOL, "Another example of Gringos' favored status in Mexico..." this must be your humor here lencho unless you want to list "The Many examples of Mexicans' favored status in California & USA....." just spreading the humor right back where it really belongs. I guess it would be best to just say "Let's Not Go THERE, CORRECT???" LOL Take Care & Travel Safe----"No Hurry, No Worry, Just FUN" bajafun777

Udo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-12-2016 at 01:16 PM

One footnote I have learned last month.

In California, your car insurance (Mercury, State Farm, etc.) will cover any accident IF your car is plated in California. As soon as you obtain new registration in another state (I.E. South Dakota), your California car insurance is nul and void.
Ask your insurance company why.

Udo

AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 6-12-2016 at 02:15 PM

My legal permanent residence is in Alaska, and I have a secondary residence in California. I am currently insured with Geico, and they require me to have two different policy's, because the states have different requirements, and liabilities.

My California policy covers vehicles registered in both states (2 AK, 2 CA), because that is where they are primarily used. The CA policy is actually cheaper for the same coverage, but more of a pain in the rear to start and stop coverage for vehicles that are not going to be driven for months at a time.

I hope this isn't too much off topic, but can anyone reading this give me any information about replacing Geico with a policy that would cover me for liability only, no matter what I am driving?

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 6-12-2016 at 02:18 PM

Maybe a good question for AAA.

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
norte
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-12-2016 at 02:31 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Udo  
One footnote I have learned last month.

In California, your car insurance (Mercury, State Farm, etc.) will cover any accident IF your car is plated in California. As soon as you obtain new registration in another state (I.E. South Dakota), your California car insurance is nul and void.
Ask your insurance company why.

Maybe this is because you are not supposed to be living in California anymore. After all you are not paying for any of the nice benefits you get.
norte
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-12-2016 at 02:33 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajaboy  
Quote:
Originally posted by yellowklr
Quote:
Originally posted by Bajaboy
Why not support the state you live in?

maybe because its a left wing tax you to death state???

Yes, yes it is. Keeps out the riff raff:lol:

Most states have anonymous methods for turning tax cheats in. Another way have keeping the freeloaders out.
DENNIS
Platinum Nomad

[*] posted on 6-12-2016 at 02:57 PM

California has a way of keeping freeloaders out? Must have started within the last half hour.

"YOU CAN'T LITTER ALUMINUM"
norte
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-12-2016 at 03:39 PM

Quote: Originally posted by DENNIS  

California has a way of keeping freeloaders out? Must have started within the last half hour.

Amazing huh. They aren't all poor, brown or black. I m sure you know a few and can do your part as well.
Udo
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-12-2016 at 05:21 PM

HDI Seguros (Discover Baja) as well as BAJABOUND have liability only driver's licenses policies so you may drive whatever you wish in Baja.
It costs around $180.00 USD per year.

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  

I hope this isn't too much off topic, but can anyone reading this give me any information about replacing Geico with a policy that would cover me for liability only, no matter what I am driving?

Udo

rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-12-2016 at 05:44 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Udo  
HDI Seguros (Discover Baja) as well as BAJABOUND have liability only driver's licenses policies so you may drive whatever you wish in Baja.
It costs around $180.00 USD per year.

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  

I believe if you read the whole statement he is referring to replacing Geico and driving in the USA, not Mexico.
AKgringo
Elite Nomad

Mood: Retireded

[*] posted on 6-12-2016 at 06:05 PM

Thanks Udo, but it is a US policy like that I am looking for. I have a gas hog ford truck, and an old motorhome that are rarely used, and I probably don't put more than 15 to 20 thousand miles on the other four combined!

Add in the fact that all of the vehicles spend four to six months a year in storage, I am spending a lot for just liability and comprehensive insurance. The comprehensive is required to keep from canceling the policy every time I store them.

Edit; I am asking here rather than from an agency, because I value the opinion of a satisfied user more than a salesman.

[Edited on 6-13-2016 by AKgringo]

If you are not living on the edge, you are taking up too much space!

"Could do better if he tried!" Report card comments from most of my grade school teachers. Sadly, still true!
SFandH
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 6-12-2016 at 06:46 PM

AKgringo,

Where are your vehicles registered? If in the US, call an independent insurance agent in the area and ask him. Don't talk to any insurance company directly, speak to an independent expert who is familiar with the rules where your vehicles are registered.

At least that is what I would do.

I have a substantial discount on a vehicle (Mercury Ins) because I drive it less than 3000 miles a year. I have an independent agent and he took my word for it and got the discount.

[Edited on 6-13-2016 by SFandH]
Mulegena
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 6-12-2016 at 07:51 PM
residency and Medicare

By declaring residency in South Dakota must Medicare be obtained in South Dakota, too?
 Pages:  1  2    4  

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.