BajaNomad
Not logged in [Login - Register]

Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Best GPS for Baja travel?
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-8-2013 at 01:17 PM
Lowrance screen shots

Detailed shot:

For comparison with the ones Russ posted
Note the box which shows the elevation , miles from San Felipe and direction from SF. Cross hairs is the location for the box.
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-8-2013 at 03:02 PM

What model Lowrance is that and what map? Very cool!

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
Russ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 11-8-2013 at 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by chuckie
Whats wrong with a map and eyeballs? With enough electronics, ya all can just stay home and "do" Baja.....

I'm pretty much getting tired of your negative snide comments. Do you have anything else in your bag?

Bahia Concepcion where life starts...given a chance!
Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-9-2013 at 06:29 AM

Is anyone using an IPad with a GPS app? I talked to someone briefly who was using an IPad for his chartplotter. He explained that once you download the app and maps for your area you aren't dependent on WiFi, as his position is set by the built-in GPS of the unit. He said the base maps of app were from Navionics and he said the charts were spot on accurate for the BCS area of the SOC. We only had a chance to talk briefly so I don't have more details. Can anyone else provide them?

In Memory of E-57
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-9-2013 at 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Russ

=====
The screen shots are from my Bronco Lowrance 7200C and the BGM is v 10/13 Murdock download. I am to cheap to buy the Garmin version for my Montana650, But I sure would like to have it to compare. I have not che4cked, but I sus[pect Murdock has a new version now that he has the latest Baja 1000 files. He usually generates an update for the racers to show all the local roads near the races.
Paul
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-9-2013 at 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by PaulW
Quote:

=====
The screen shots are from my Bronco Lowrance 7200C and the BGM is v 10/13 Murdock download. I am to cheap to buy the Garmin version for my Montana650, But I sure would like to have it to compare. I have not che4cked, but I sus[pect Murdock has a new version now that he has the latest Baja 1000 files. He usually generates an update for the racers to show all the local roads near the races.
Paul

Correction the version I have is v5/13 not the 10/13 PW
PaulW
Ultra Nomad

[*] posted on 11-9-2013 at 08:18 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Alan
Is anyone using an IPad with a GPS app? I talked to someone briefly who was using an IPad for his chartplotter. He explained that once you download the app and maps for your area you aren't dependent on WiFi, as his position is set by the built-in GPS of the unit. He said the base maps of app were from Navionics and he said the charts were spot on accurate for the BCS area of the SOC. We only had a chance to talk briefly so I don't have more details. Can anyone else provide them?

=======
I guess the test would be to make a track with several WPs, save it and forward it to a Garmin and Lowrance guy and see if they can display what you generated. If your rig passes that test then it should be useful. And you need to see if you can load a track from a Garmin or Lowrance created track as well. I understand you will need the conversion SW, but that should not be an issue.
Of course you need a screen that can be mounted in your rig and is not so big as to be cumbersome. Sure bigger its better to some reasonable limit. I see 12" screens in the larger race trucks , but 7 to 8" seems to be the sweet size.
Paul
Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-9-2013 at 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by PaulW
Quote:

=======
I guess the test would be to make a track with several WPs, save it and forward it to a Garmin and Lowrance guy and see if they can display what you generated. If your rig passes that test then it should be useful. And you need to see if you can load a track from a Garmin or Lowrance created track as well. I understand you will need the conversion SW, but that should not be an issue.
Of course you need a screen that can be mounted in your rig and is not so big as to be cumbersome. Sure bigger its better to some reasonable limit. I see 12" screens in the larger race trucks , but 7 to 8" seems to be the sweet size.
Paul
Thanks, I think??? Not sure I understand your post:?:

In Memory of E-57
floydo
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-10-2013 at 06:29 PM

My experience, beyond paper maps which we use for big picture, is with garmin nuvis.

On road garmin North America maps are pretty good and getting better.

Offroad ----

Nuvis work well with the mex E32 topos, and the bici mexico topos (now purchased by garmin and published as a garmin mexico topo). bici has improved their baja place details in the last few years. E32 historically has had more baja offroad trail detail, but I think bici has gotten closer. My Garmin Oregon 450 (3"x2.6"screen) is really pretty small for anything but hiking or biking offroad close proximity stuff. The garmin maps can also be put on a laptop for browsing. Problem is with all smaller devices you only easily see the area nearby, so if exploring larger areas, paper or laptops large screens really help.
Nuvis do not show all the topo details, but laptops do so you get more shading, etc, and the current garmin mexico topo has some pretty nice shading...but that is really not necessary, just pretty and makes it easier to get a feel for larger areas.
Paper is so good because it simplifies the claptrap!
Nuvis and handhelds are so good because you always know where you are.
Topo maps are great for offroad how to get there or get out of there.
Non topo maps are fine for roads, but when you wander off.......

So "best" depends on what you want to do....

I have not used Lawrence or other maps for comparison....
:)
Bajamatic
Senior Nomad

[*] posted on 11-11-2013 at 10:32 AM

Quote:

There are tons of apps available. There is also available hardware to convert nmea data into an ipad friendly app allowing you to monitor any NMEA hardware you already own, and it can all be streamed over a wireless network.

MotionX allows you to download sat images as well as topo maps for offline use. You can send waypoints back and forth to and from any other GPS model easily, though you need a computer to do that (files are transferred via itunes). There are many options as far as software goes, ranging from simple GPS based alarms to full blown chartplotters with autopilot integration. I've tested it against popular handheld GPS and I find that against google earth imagery its practically spot on accurate. I had all my waypoints from Garmin Map software send in to motion x - took about 20 minutes, learning curve inclusive.

yuletide
Alan
Super Nomad

[*] posted on 11-11-2013 at 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bajamatic
Quote:

There are tons of apps available. There is also available hardware to convert nmea data into an ipad friendly app allowing you to monitor any NMEA hardware you already own, and it can all be streamed over a wireless network.

MotionX allows you to download sat images as well as topo maps for offline use. You can send waypoints back and forth to and from any other GPS model easily, though you need a computer to do that (files are transferred via itunes). There are many options as far as software goes, ranging from simple GPS based alarms to full blown chartplotters with autopilot integration. I've tested it against popular handheld GPS and I find that against google earth imagery its practically spot on accurate. I had all my waypoints from Garmin Map software send in to motion x - took about 20 minutes, learning curve inclusive.
Awesome!! Now I know what I am getting for Xmas.

In Memory of E-57
JZ
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 4-16-2014 at 02:34 PM

Quote:
I have the Garmin Nuvi 855. I bought a Mexico map down load and it shows quite a lot of the topo features and way more trails than I expected. After a ride I down load my journey in the Garnim Base Camp program and it show where I've gone and stitches the route making new trails part of the map. I had some operator errors last trip over the mountains past San Jose Magdalena.

What's the best map download?
Marinero
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-12-2014 at 06:30 AM

Interesting thing I have observed about Baja names for towns, mountains, rivers etc., is that they seem to use the same names over and over. I know duplication is common everywhere, but in this area it seems to be a cottage industry.

Si estás buscando la person que cambiará su vida, échale una mirada en el espejo.

Fish logo from www.usafishing.com, used w/permission.

But Oz never did give nothing to the Tin Man
That he didn't, didn't already have.....
deanfootlong
Junior Nomad

[*] posted on 5-12-2014 at 07:40 AM

I just picked up a garmin 62s and have been playing around with open street maps. lots of good free maps out there. unfortunately I havent found a decent baja map. anyone know of a good free map?
rts551
Elite Nomad

[*] posted on 5-12-2014 at 08:05 AM

I haven't found any "good" maps that are free.

So paid the 50 for the Garmin Mexico map for the NUVI in the truck

and 40 for the Baja Navigator and 100 for the Biimapas topo map in the 62csx.
churro
Nomad

[*] posted on 5-12-2014 at 07:33 PM

So what do you guys use for fishing?
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.