Go To Bottom
Printable Version  
 Pages:  1  2
Author: Subject: Duty on appliances
Bob and Susan
Elite Nomad

Mood: Full Time Residents

[*] posted on 11-29-2004 at 05:24 PM

In Otay the Customs Agent you would go to is in the parking lot right across from the government spot....

no problem...you just pay a different rate.
:yes::yes:

our website is:
http://www.mulege.org
Cameron
Nomad

Mood: Thirsty!

eureka.gif posted on 11-30-2004 at 07:20 AM
Gas Range...

Quote:
Originally posted by jeffg
Cameron, thanks for the reply. We have shiny new FM-3 visas, have not used the Menaje de Casa. I don't think we'll use it yet, at this point I'm looking at just bringing a good gas range. 25% duty isn't too awful bad, and I'd prefer to just pay the duty and be legal.
Quote:

Hey Jeff!

Before you haul a big range down, think about this: Unless you've just got to have a big commercial convection oven/stove combo, (Viking, etc..) you can buy in La Paz and get a great deal.

There's at least 2 shops I know of in La Paz where they sell gas stovetops that they'll build (close) to your specs, and for a great price.

Some friends of mine had a gas cooktop custom built for their restaurant with 3 (or 4?) 10-12" gas burners in a row, all in a nice polished stainless steel surround, maybe 18" wide by 48" long for less than $200 USD!

They don't do ovens, but a custom gas ring setup with a griddle/grill or even a big Wok might save you a lot of time and $$$ over hauling something down...

Drive safe! Cameron

MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 12-6-2004 at 10:28 PM
Importing Appliances

I have purchased New and brought all types of appliances across the border from the U.S. This includes TVs and other electronics, refrigerators, freezers, air conditioners.
I have declared all of them and have always been charged whatever the current rate of duty was for the country of origin. It is currently (or at least three months ago) 17% for E.U.A. and 19% for China, Japan, Korea, etc. I have found in every case that the cost of buying in the States and paying the duty still resulted in savings over purchasing in Mexico even at places like Costco. Since I have never made a special trip for only that purpose, the cost of transportation is not a factor for me. I even use the REAL receipts (usually) unlike in years past when the duty on goods from the Orient were over 50 %, a fact which I learned the hard way at the time when bringing in an A/C unit I bought at Walmart. Country of Origin was Singapore. Big, expensive lesson.
LaRibereņa
Nomad

[*] posted on 12-9-2004 at 11:37 AM
electrical variations

We have friends who brought upscale US appliances into baja. They burned out pretty quickly due to the fluctuating electrical current we sometimes have. Mexican appliances are designed to avoid that. We've been very pleased with our locally purchased appliances.
MrBillM
Platinum Nomad

Mood: It's a Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah Day

[*] posted on 12-9-2004 at 12:58 PM
Mex Electric

I have to admit that is a consideration I never thought of.
All of my electricity comes from an inverter or genset.
However, friends I know in San Felipe hooked up to comml
electric have never complained of any problems with washers
or refrigerators and/or freezers bought in the U.S.

I am hoping that Commercial Electricity is something I won't
be sampling for years, but I'm fearful that it's on the way
within a year or so.
 Pages:  1  2

Go To Top

All Content Copyright 1997- Q87 International; All Rights Reserved.